• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Contestshipping General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah, I think you're right. I haven't seen AG for years, maybe it's time to rewatch some ContestShipping episodes. Anyways, do you think Norman would see Drew as the right guy for May?

Yeah, I agree about Caroline. I think Norman would eventually accept it, but maybe he needs a bit more time.

I think I have a nice idea for another question here: What would Max think about it if May and Drew get together?

I'm not sure if he would understand. He's not as dense as Ash, but he's young, so maybe he wouldn't understand. If he would understand, it's hard to say what he'd think... He might feel a bit weird about his sister hooking up with her rival, but could also be happy for her. Maybe he already noticed the feelings.

I think Max would be like "Huh? What? Him? He's such a jerk!" but of course, he'll probably know and understand the dynamic of their relationship and how he was just teasing her. I'm sure he'd get over that, though.
remembers the Drew is such a weenie line and dies because wtf that was awful

DarkTitan837

On behalf of an Advanceshipper, I think that it's great to see this admirable (and close-to-canon) pairing regain its own page on the Shipper's Community!

I remember being so jealous of it years ago for its hints :p

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
What would Max think about it if May and Drew get together?
Max: (Adjust his glasses) I'm watching you, ya rich green haired pretty boy.
Jk, I don't think Max would understand entirely but he'd probably grasp thr general idea and be a little mad, cuase remeber none of them liked Drew at first. But I think with time he'd get used to it. But he'd sure be surpired when he becomes an Uncle. Cause I don't think Max knows where babies come from lol.

BlueDragonfangirl

After watching a couple of Contestshipping videos really gets you into that feeling again.

It's amazing how this pairing was the only pairing so far to becoming canon, wish we'd get Pokemon Chronicles 2 to get an update on the pairing :(

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I can see that Tiffany's still going hard on that shipping. Awesome! And I just had a question for you, fellow ContestShippers...
Would have you wished more hints on Drew's side ?
May did most of the part, let's face it. She was blushing many times and when the possible relationship those two could have subject was touched, she was always defending her point while Drew just stood there and left shortly after.
I'm honestly happy with what Drew gave; his mysterious side and is caring one toward May was what made the shipping truly interesting. The only thing I regret, though, is when he yelled at her at the Kanto Grand Festival but never talked to her afterward to say he was sorry. Lying on the beach is not what I call very emotional. Not to mention May could have done a great job joining him there, not Ash and Brock. They killed the moment, in my opinion. I also think Drew should have had more regrets, and feel bad for what he said, finding himself montrous to deepen the emotional development.
So about my own question, my answer would be fifty/fifty. Drew's silent attitude made him quite the character and I can understand why May always wanted to show off her skills to him. But I also felt empty; Drew was not always making the shipping advance in some sort of significant way. How many times did he blush ? Once, when May teased him in Spontaneous Combusken ? Lacking, I would say...

Last edited:

Moonlight Starlight

I can see that Tiffany's still going hard on that shipping. Awesome! And I just had a question for you, fellow ContestShippers...
May did most of the part, let's face it. She was blushing many times and when the possible relationship those two could have subject was touched, she was always defending her point while Drew just stood there and left shortly after.
I'm honestly happy with what Drew gave; his mysterious side and is caring one toward May was what made the shipping truly interesting. The only thing I regret, though, is when he yelled at her at the Kanto Grand Festival but never talked to her afterward to say he was sorry. Lying on the beach is not what I call very emotional. Not to mention May could have done a great job joining him there, not Ash and Brock. They killed the moment, in my opinion. I also think Drew should have had more regrets, and feel bad for what he said, finding himself montrous to deepen the emotional development.
So about my own question, my answer would be fifty/fifty. Drew's silent attitude made him quite the character and I can understand why May always wanted to show off her skills to him. But I also felt empty; Drew was not always making the shipping advance in some sort of significant way. How many times did he blush ? Once, when May teased him in Spontaneous Combusken ? Lacking, I would say...

I remember that part it was when May called Drew ' Mr. Rose'(which he is one after all) do to the way he threw a rose to May all the time during the end of the contest.Even it's for May's Beautifly or for her.

I would like that to happen to know Drew's side of his hints.I see it would be funny how if Drew shows jealous that some guy shows up shows a interest crush on May and how Drew listens to the conversation behind a bush seeing how close May and the are.I did wish Drew was in the movie of Destiny Deoxys where a boy name Sid shows a interest in May I would see the look on Drew's face seeing how jealous he would be in part of his hint.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod

;) damn right. 8 years and going strong!
Honestly, I don't really think it's in his character to be like that, so I'm happy with what we got. Sure, more would have been awesome but him even reaching out to May in the first place shows a lot. We already know he's kind of a reclusive character. He's not the type to just go up to somebody and butt into their business, but when he first saw May on the beach he was interested in engaging with her, even though his means of doing so weren't exactly the best. :p He never stays around during after parties for contests, and he gets embarrassed/uncomfortable when it comes to his fanclub. When we got him blushing, that was pure gold. He's usually very good at being calm and composed, but May tends to make him do the opposite. ;)

Anyways, his lashing out at May totally made my heart break... but that was just him cracking under pressure because he knew May was catching up to him, as Soledad explained a little bit afterwards. I don't think he really ever thought she'd catch up to him that fast. He realized she had potential and got better faster than he had originally anticipated. I think that's also part of the reason why he lost in the KGF, too. He was losing his confidence, and he didn't have focus. I'm sure his fight with May was a big part of it.

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Eeeeh, let's keep this thread alive! Too bad this ship isn't really popular around here... I'll just let another little question to keep people occupated!

Do you think Drew was May's real goal behind contests ?

Everyone knows May's goal was to become a better coordinator, but I just thought recently maybe contests weren't maybe her main plans after she left Ash and Brock. Where to start...
May and Drew seem to be on a constant "rivalry" and May is always in the same region as Drew to do her contests. Different from Dawn, who went to Hoenn alone (while Kenny invited her to do contests with him), May always followed Drew to participate in contests. Drew his her meter to tell if she's good or not, in some sort of way. I also found it weird that May left Max at home after Ash and Brock left. She showed a lot of love for her little brother through the AG saga and I was surprised to see her "abandoning" him like that. Maybe because she wants to get closer to Drew and having a brother around usually... doesn't help...
I also supposed that she didn't talk much about Drew in her Sinnoh return because she was slowly getting in a bigger relationship with him and she would get embarassed by Ash and Brock (possibly Dawn too!) if she told them that. But this, again, is simple assumption.
I wonder if writers are ever going to come back on this ship one day. They really made it felt real, and with the AmourShipping around in XY, I think writers are all for love in this season. :p

BlueDragonfangirl

Oh it's popular around here still, just that series no longer has new episodes so it makes things harder to discuss for fans. I have no idea why she didn't mention it in the D / P series, at least he got a cameo watching her on TV so that's some thing. If Pokemon ever has an ending I'd say they could do a future type episode showing who's married to or not and I bet you Contestshipping has the highest chance on that, it was almost canon by the end of the AG seriesXD

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
Oh it's popular around here still, just that series no longer has new episodes so it makes things harder to discuss for fans. I have no idea why she didn't mention it in the D / P series, at least he got a cameo watching her on TV so that's some thing. If Pokemon ever has an ending I'd say they could do a future type episode showing who's married to or not and I bet you Contestshipping has the highest chance on that, it was almost canon by the end of the AG seriesXD

Considering it's been 5 years since we've seen them, this shipping is still going strong. Shippers are super dedicated! :D
I really hope we get an episode like that at the end. I mean, I know it's not the focus of the anime, but it'd be great to know what everybody is doing and all of that stuff. I doubt that's coming anytime soon, considering Pokemon hasn't been losing popularity. If anything, it's been gaining more and more.
dang right May and Drew better be married or else I'll sue

Considering it's been 5 years since we've seen them, this shipping is still going strong. Shippers are super dedicated! :D
I really hope we get an episode like that at the end. I mean, I know it's not the focus of the anime, but it'd be great to know what everybody is doing and all of that stuff. I doubt that's coming anytime soon, considering Pokemon hasn't been losing popularity. If anything, it's been gaining more and more.
dang right May and Drew better be married or else I'll sue

Of course not every single shipper is super dedicated, but I can speak for myself and clearly say I'm dedicated. ContestShipping is not my OTP (PokeShipping is), but I do like it a lot and always supported it without losing interest since the moment I started supporting it.

Anyways, I have a cute question, similar to one I asked in the PokeShipping thread: what will May and Drew do for Christmas?

I suppose they could try to meet up, maybe go to a restaurant or go to May's house, and celebrate Christmas with a nice meal. Or maybe even participate in a Christmas contest if there is one. Tag contests (just like tag battles) would be cool, then May and Drew could participate together, it would be cute if there would be a tag/couples Christmas contest. I know this is an overly romantic fantasy idea, but it would be so cool!

BlueDragonfangirl

I could imagine them meeting up some place in a park giving each other some thing, I've seen cute scenes like that in other anime, have May blush a little while it starts to snow.

I wish they'd an episode that shows every ones future like what happened in Digimon season two, only with better endings for pairings LOL You couldn't believe how peeved I was when Tai x Sora didn't happen, that ending didn't make sense :(

They could show May / Drew's kid, it could be a girl into contests with green hair like Drew and both taught her good skills before setting off on her journey. I'd love it if she traveled with Ash's kid but heyXD

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

While that's a romantic idea, I don't think so, at least not at first. I really think May was interested in Contests from the beginning and unlike other people, I don't think her encounter with Drew was "love at first sight." I don't think she was interested in him romantically until later, but I suppose that as her interest in him grew, her motivation to become a stronger coordinator improved. So I do think Drew could have been a driving force for May, but I don't think he was May's ultimate goal per se or the reason why she was so invested in Contests.

AshsPikachu

Like Lorde said, in the beginning I don't think he was her goal or anything.. but later on in the series, I think she worked/pushed herself even harder, to impress him and prove herself as a worthy rival to him.

Now I have a question

What's your favourite hint from both sides?

From May: There's not one exact hint.. but in general I thought her blushing was really adorable. (Like in Spontaneous Combusken - she blushed when Brianna asked her if she liked Drew and was like "I never gave it much thought" or something like that.

From Drew: All the roses he gave to her, and in particular "Unbeatable lightness of seeing" (pretty much that entire episode)

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
My question was more for the late Battle Frontier and after her departure, but still, I couldn't agree more, Lorde and AshsPikachu. I don't think May was all for Drew at first, but her decision to do contests in Johto is a pretty obvious choice. She wanted to compete with him.

That question is coming out in every thread, it had to come here too. :p

May's blushing were quite cute indeed. Although my favorite hint that she cares a lot about Drew was in Who, What, When, Where, Wynaut?, when she tried to save him from falling while screaming "Drew, I got you!". Just to see the effort May put to save Drew was showing that she cared a lot about him.

Drew's roses are my favorite of his hints, even though I don't think he did that much, hint wise, for the couple. But I actually love when he gave a rose to May in Come What May!, after May asked him if this rose was for Beautifly, he answered "Yeah... Something like that...". Aaaawh, cute. :3

AshsPikachu

My question was more for the late Battle Frontier and after her departure, but still, I couldn't agree more, Lorde and AshsPikachu. I don't think May was all for Drew at first, but her decision to do contests in Johto is a pretty obvious choice. She wanted to compete with him.

That question is coming out in every thread, it had to come here too. :p

May's blushing were quite cute indeed. Although my favorite hint that she cares a lot about Drew was in Who, What, When, Where, Wynaut?, when she tried to save him from falling while screaming "Drew, I got you!". Just to see the effort May put to save Drew was showing that she cared a lot about him.

Drew's roses are my favorite of his hints, even though I don't think he did that much, hint wise, for the couple. But I actually love when he gave a rose to May in Come What May!, after May asked him if this rose was for Beautifly, he answered "Yeah... Something like that...". Aaaawh, cute. :3

I agree, the Wynaut episode was one of my favourites. (I like how the girl actually saved the guy this time - besides Misty saving Ash in the second movie, I don't think the girl has saved the guy in such a huge situation like that). I also think it was cute how she was so worried about him, but when he woke up she was immediately relieved. Lastly, when he was watching her play with the Wynaut.. so cute ^.^

taeuknam

Hi guys, this is my first post on this thread, or on any thread aside from the Amourshipping thread, for that matter.

;) damn right. 8 years and going strong!
Honestly, I don't really think it's in his character to be like that, so I'm happy with what we got. Sure, more would have been awesome but him even reaching out to May in the first place shows a lot. We already know he's kind of a reclusive character. He's not the type to just go up to somebody and butt into their business, but when he first saw May on the beach he was interested in engaging with her, even though his means of doing so weren't exactly the best. :p He never stays around during after parties for contests, and he gets embarrassed/uncomfortable when it comes to his fanclub. When we got him blushing, that was pure gold. He's usually very good at being calm and composed, but May tends to make him do the opposite. ;)

Anyways, his lashing out at May totally made my heart break... but that was just him cracking under pressure because he knew May was catching up to him, as Soledad explained a little bit afterwards. I don't think he really ever thought she'd catch up to him that fast. He realized she had potential and got better faster than he had originally anticipated. I think that's also a reason why he lost in the KGF, too. He was losing his confidence, and he didn't have focus. I'm sure his fight with May was a big part of it.

I agree that his fight with may was the reason he lost, because 5 episodes later, when he is on good terms with her, he absolutely crushes her. although his loss can be explained by him using absol as well.

i wonder how he'd react to the whole May-being-engulfed-in-flames-when-someone-steals-her-food thing.

Amethyst17

OMG. Contestshipping is so adorable. I first heard of them in a pearlshipping story (although I'm now a dedicated pokeshipper) I decided to look into it and started in watching AG I instantly fell in love with them when they first met in Now That's Flower Power! I mean it was that classic tail of the boy in second grade pulling the pigtails of the girl he has a crush on. And I mean red thornless ROSES! I mean you know what those are translated into "love at first sight". I even recall seeing something about the writers originally writing Drew as Mays love interest, but alas it was rejected to keep it "kid friendly" (seriously?). Anyway, ever since first encounter I've shipped, blogged, fanarted, fanficed, felt, FANGIRLED, amved, and cried over this pairing. I mean they are simply just meant to be!

BlueDragonfangirl

How popular was this pairing back when the AG series was airing? I know we had a bunch of Advancedshipping V.S Contestshipping debates back when it was airing, just curious sorry :)

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
OMG. Contestshipping is so adorable. I first heard of them in a pearlshipping story (although I'm now a dedicated pokeshipper) I decided to look into it and started in watching AG I instantly fell in love with them when they first met in Now That's Flower Power! I mean it was that classic tail of the boy in second grade pulling the pigtails of the girl he has a crush on. And I mean red thornless ROSES! I mean you know what those are translated into "love at first sight". I even recall seeing something about the writers originally writing Drew as Mays love interest, but alas it was rejected to keep it "kid friendly" (seriously?). Anyway, ever since first encounter I've shipped, blogged, fanarted, fanficed, felt, FANGIRLED, amved, and cried over this pairing. I mean they are simply just meant to be!
The feeling is mutual with me too! Contestshipping was the most canon and one of my favorites. I just love how the little hints made it amazing. The big hints were just the bomb! I'm writing a fanfic where the canon pairing is contestshipping because it's the cutest thing to write about! They are a cute couple and I wish their story still continued.

Status
Not open for further replies.