• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Contestshipping General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
How popular was this pairing back when the AG series was airing? I know we had a bunch of Advancedshipping V.S Contestshipping debates back when it was airing, just curious sorry :)

It was pretty popular. The discussions and debates were super lively.
I reread the AS vs CS debate a few months ago, and you know CS is a big deal with Cybercubed even deemed it canon. It was always great to read the debates between him and Jo-Jo, along with the other users.

AshsPikachu

OMG. Contestshipping is so adorable. I first heard of them in a pearlshipping story (although I'm now a dedicated pokeshipper) I decided to look into it and started in watching AG I instantly fell in love with them when they first met in Now That's Flower Power! I mean it was that classic tail of the boy in second grade pulling the pigtails of the girl he has a crush on. And I mean red thornless ROSES! I mean you know what those are translated into "love at first sight". I even recall seeing something about the writers originally writing Drew as Mays love interest, but alas it was rejected to keep it "kid friendly" (seriously?). Anyway, ever since first encounter I've shipped, blogged, fanarted, fanficed, felt, FANGIRLED, amved, and cried over this pairing. I mean they are simply just meant to be!

I'm the exact same! This ship not only was extremely adorable, but you really see their relationship develop. In the beginning, Drew teased May every time he saw her and always had that smirk on his face, but in the end of the AG series, they developed a more friendlier relationship. (see the Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing to see what I mean) Even Drew's facial expressions have softened and just ughhh

I just love this ship so much! And it's amazing to see that after this long, there are still tons of supporters! I just wish we could have some sort of special and see what's going on now.. even though it probably won't happen.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
My word I don't think I've popped into a thread like this in a loooooong time.

Well, I used to really really enjoy Contestshipping, and I still have a slight interest in it (though I've kinda been distracted from it because of my own "novels" I'm writing). The wynaut episode was amazing, I agree. I fanboyed over it because it was fantastic and basically showed us that Contestshipping was canon (and it still is xD). I might not be here often but heyo, I'll pop in here whenever I can.

Anyways, I've got an idea for a topic, if that's ok.

Which song best describes Contestshipping?

For me...I am not so sure myself xD I'd hazard a guess that some Taylor Swift song would fit, but several of her songs would sum up different parts of their friendship, if I'm honest.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I've been re-watching a lot of May's Contest episodes, particularly the ones where Drew appears and they have some kind of interaction. I really thought this pairing had potential given the chemistry between May and Drew. May could be sweet and calm, but also hot-headed when she got annoyed, and it fit well with Drew and his general air of coolness. As for what song best describes ContestShipping; I honestly have no idea. I'm really bad at those sort of questions since I would expect a ballad to be a suitable song for them, and yet I don't listen to ballads or love songs in general. But I guess a Taylor Swift song would best represent the pairing since she's always singing about relationships. :p

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
I miss they dynamic between May and Drew. I remember watching those couple when they first were introduced like a HAWK. Seems like yesterday, but that's about 8-9 years ago-ish? I thought me liking the two at the time would be a transient stage, but it's 8 years later and I'm still obsessed with it. I always check the contestshipping tag on tumblr (by far one of my favorite fandoms) and just makes me miss the two so much!
What was your favorite contestshipping moment?
Mine would be when they met. I thought it was cute how Drew was there, criticizing May and all. Also how Harley would be surreptitious, and always stalk them...coming out of nowhere. Being that shipper, like me.

Nodame

Misty <3
I feel like Contestshipping is one of the couples that you can't deny they like each other. I just kinda feel like with the roses and blushing its sorta obvious. In Drew's first episode, he seems to like her from the moment he sees her! aww I miss them!

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I'm glad this thread is slowly regaining some supporters. :) And Tiffany should be, too!

Which song best describes ContestShipping ?
I think Taylor Swift fits AmourShipping way more. I don't know, really. When I listen to Miracle, Cascada's old song, I think of that couple.

What was your favorite ContestShipping moment?
I ate every single moment I've seen from that couple. But their meeting in The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing! was adorable. It prooves that much how they grew closer as their journey went on.

Last edited:

⊱✿RedAshEntropy

· MultiShipper ·
Which song best describes ContestShipping ?
Some Taylor Swift songs would fit. But every time I heard the song Teardrops on My Guitar, I dunno, it just make me remember these two:3 Maybe because of the drew part..

The Unbeatable Lights of Seeing! The last scene was remarkably worth squeeing forXD Other than that, the Wynaut episode was good too.. Seeing them tag battle to fight off Team Rocket, May saving Drew from drowning, and them with the Wynuats..it's adorable:3

I was also in twitter searching for Teppo's fanarts then I saw this:
[IMG139]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af38/Ashist/Bew0DLOCEAAGjox_zpse11418a4.jpg[/IMG139]

Yes, it's Teppo's art.:)

Last edited:

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
My favorite was the unbeatable light of seeing too. It was so cute. I also liked when they first met. It set a mark for their awesome relationship that I wish to see more of :(

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
Love seeing this thread so active. :)
I have to say my favorite moment was when Drew was watching May playing with the Wynaut. You can just tell that his opinion and feelings of her were changing, and how that episode really pushed their relationship to them actually being friends. I love how this was also seen in the Hoenn Grand Festival, since Drew was clearly upset that May didn't consider him her friend.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

AG187/The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing! was my favorite ContestShipping episode since it featured May and Drew's last battle together as well as other ContestShipping hints throughout the episode. I loved how Drew sort of motivated May to go to Johto for Contests since I think it showed May's loyalty to Drew as well as her desire to continue their rivalry. Had she stayed behind, ContestShipping might've been over, but at least we know that they got to compete against each other in Johto and probably had many encounters there.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Which song best describes Contestshipping?

I can name quite a few that describes Contestshipping.

There's this one song by Skillet called Whispers In The Dark and there's one line in that song just screams Contestshipping, IMO and that is.. "my love is just waiting to turn your tears to roses."

There's also a song by Big Time Rush that makes me think of Contestshipping and that's No Idea. You have to look at it from Drew's point of view in order to understand it though.

There are many other songs that describe Contestshipping but those are the only ones I'm putting in here though cause otherwise, this post will be wayy too long.

I have so many favorite Contestshipping moments, how am I suposed to be able to pick just one?

Umm, I guess I'll have to go with the very first episode where Drew gave May a rose, which I cannot remember the name of that episode though. As soon as I saw that scene, I literally shouted, "he so likes her." at the top of my lungs and luckily no one was home at the time. That was just so cute even though he lied and said the rose was her Beautifly.

I also really liked The Unbeatable of Seeing and the episode with the Wynauts.

Chelc

Wow, the old thread is dead? :( Oh well, it's cool to see people still enjoy Contestshipping! It's hard not to miss it. It was honestly what got me back into Pokemon after a long period of time, and I had the most fun watching AG because of it.

Regarding fan art, it's definitely not as popular as before. When you searched for Pokemon fan art on Japanese websites, they were like overflowing with Contestshipping fan art. A lot of my favorite websites are dead, sadly... I think you can still find a lot of things on Pixiv, though, which is great.

The entire Spontaneous Combusken! episode. I mean, you could say that the whole episode was a Contestshipping moment, tbh. My favorite part was probably when Brianna questioned May about her feelings for Drew and she blushed, that was really cute.

BlueDragonfangirl

I feel like Contestshipping is one of the couples that you can't deny they like each other. I just kinda feel like with the roses and blushing its sorta obvious. In Drew's first episode, he seems to like her from the moment he sees her! aww I miss them!

Yah, even none shippers can tell the pairing was canon pretty much :)

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
Wow, the old thread is dead? :( Oh well, it's cool to see people still enjoy Contestshipping! It's hard not to miss it. It was honestly what got me back into Pokemon after a long period of time, and I had the most fun watching AG because of it.

Regarding fan art, it's definitely not as popular as before. When you searched for Pokemon fan art on Japanese websites, they were like overflowing with Contestshipping fan art. A lot of my favorite websites are dead, sadly... I think you can still find a lot of things on Pixiv, though, which is great.

The entire Spontaneous Combusken! episode. I mean, you could say that the whole episode was a Contestshipping moment, tbh. My favorite part was probably when Brianna questioned May about her feelings for Drew and she blushed, that was really cute.

Actually a few times over, sadly. :( There was like, iirc, a few attempts to remake this thread but they all died. :(
Ohhhh the Wakana episode. I remember when that aired in Japan, omg. We all freaking lost it. It was such an amazing episode, and we all knew then that CS was canon.
Actually we all knew it beforehand, but this just solidified it.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
What do you guys think the contestshipping pair will do tomorrow, hence valentines day?
Drew, being the romantic hottie he, IMO I think he's traveling in the same region as May whether they are in Johto or Unova. I think Drew will get a lot of those roses he gives to her and take her out to somewhere fancy. I can imagine.
Anythoughts?

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
What do you guys think the contestshipping pair will do tomorrow, hence valentines day?
Drew, being the romantic hottie he, IMO I think he's traveling in the same region as May whether they are in Johto or Unova. I think Drew will get a lot of those roses he gives to her and take her out to somewhere fancy. I can imagine.
Anythoughts?

I think he'd probably save the roses for super special occasions, i.e. Valentine's Day/the equivalent to that. May called him out, and Drew was like "Oh, gosh, she caught on" so I think that's why we'd see them less unless it was a special occasion, such as the ending of the KGF. ;) Drew, you're slipping you big dork!

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
This is another great shipping. You know how Drew claims his roses are for May's Beautifly? I do not buy it for one second.

BlueDragonfangirl

This is another great shipping. You know how Drew claims his roses are for May's Beautifly? I do not buy it for one second.

I thought the last episode he was in was pretty good proof that the roses were always meant for her :)

I'm wondering what they are doing for St. Patrick's Day? Or Easter? Bet he's pretty good with this kind of stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.