• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Contestshipping (May x Drew) Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
I think I'm going to spend my day off tomorrow watching CS episodes because I'm feeling super nostalgic. Does anyone have any fic recs? I've read CT already; which I love, by the way. ;)

Encyclopika

The Queen
^Aw, thanks. :p I gotta watch the CS episodes too - yet another thing on my Spring break list! XD As far as fic recommendations (without promoting my own stuff) the Fic catalog's "C" section is completely overrun by fics. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you what's finished or what isn't rubbish, so you're on your own. :(

I think we should have HUGE discussions about each episode, analyzing, and flipping out about them. There are about 21-22 episodes concerning CS. Who's up for that? :D

I am Lu

^Aw, thanks. :p I gotta watch the CS episodes too - yet another thing on my Spring break list! XD As far as fic recommendations (without promoting my own stuff) the Fic catalog's "C" section is completely overrun by fics. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you what's finished or what isn't rubbish, so you're on your own. :(

I think we should have HUGE discussions about each episode, analyzing, and flipping out about them. There are about 21-22 episodes concerning CS. Who's up for that? :D

I'm down with that. I pretty much analyze CS episodes to death when I liveblog them on Tumblr anyway, haha.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
I'm so down. What should we discuss first? :D

Encyclopika

The Queen
Hmm, maybe we can go episode by episode. Or maybe someone can start us off and we can go from there.

IDK, I just got really giddy when I replied to I Am Lu's analysis and I wanna do that more. XD

I Am Lu said:
I'm down with that. I pretty much analyze CS episodes to death when I liveblog them on Tumblr anyway, haha.
What's your Tumblr? I'm watching another CSer there who does analyses and it'd be funny if that was you. XD

I am Lu

Hmm, maybe we can go episode by episode. Or maybe someone can start us off and we can go from there.

IDK, I just got really giddy when I replied to I Am Lu's analysis and I wanna do that more. XD

I often have this problem in which I give myself feels, and the only way to cure it is by writing.

What's your Tumblr? I'm watching another CSer there who does analyses and it'd be funny if that was you. XD

The user you're probably referring to is LostLegendaerie, since she does her Contestshipping episode analyses every week or so. I, however, run pkmncoordinators. And I've been liveblogging any Pokemon episode upon request, and I've had the pleasure of doing two episodes that feature Drew, which means I have to throw in my two cents about Contestshipping. (x) (x) (x) (x)

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
Oh, you're pkmncoordinators? I totally think I follow you! :)
And if you're giving yourself feels, you should totally succumb to them. It'd benefit us all. I've been in a CS kick lately and I would love to read some good fanfiction!
We should start the analysis' in chronological order. First episode, maybe? I know it didn't give us much, but it's a start. If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to state them!

RocketToTheMoon

Encyclopika said:
I think we should have HUGE discussions about each episode, analyzing, and flipping out about them. There are about 21-22 episodes concerning CS. Who's up for that?
I'm all for that! It's kinda lonely flipping out about them all on my own...

I Am Lu said:
I often have this problem in which I give myself feels
I thought I was the only one who had this problem!! *O*
^^;; again, I've been super inactive. Sorry!

lara lynx

Encyclopika said:
And you're on Tumblr?! Are we following each other? I can't remember if we've been through this or not... /off topic
Probably not, I only joined recently and so far I've only followed a few random artists and stuff XD

I think we should have HUGE discussions about each episode, analyzing, and flipping out about them. There are about 21-22 episodes concerning CS. Who's up for that?
Definitely! I miss the days when we used to get all fangirly over every little thing that happened!

Encyclopika

The Queen
I Am Lu said:
The user you're probably referring to is LostLegendaerie, since she does her Contestshipping episode analyses every week or so. I, however, run pkmncoordinators. And I've been liveblogging any Pokemon episode upon request, and I've had the pleasure of doing two episodes that feature Drew, which means I have to throw in my two cents about Contestshipping. (x) (x) (x) (x)
YUP YUP I do indeed follow you! :D I love your commentaries! Then this should be a treat.

Alright, so everyone is down with analyzing the literal hell out of our lovely CS episodes. And as Tiffany suggested, let's start from the beginning - Now That's Flower Power - the first meeting!

I have to say, I started Contestshipping a little bit after this episode, and probably for good reason. Drew first appears in this episode acting like a complete jerk, antagonizing May about her failing technique, even going so far as to call her "little girl". He goes far enough to draw a line in the sand between himself and May. It's safe to say he instantly gets on her nerves. However, there's something very very different about this teasing than the teasing we see in all of the episodes after this one, and, I don't know if anyone else hears it, but it's much more condescending. He is definitely underestimating her here - like, he doesn't even agree to battle her, yet still has the balls to call her, in so many words, weak and out of his league.

Do you think he was trying to tell himself that more than he was saying it to May? That's if we were to believe Drew had already fostered feelings for May before this first interaction.

Yeah, he's a twit. But before I go any further, it's important to lay down the kind of character he is right now (since he changes very much during his interactions with May and the rest of the group, Harley, etc.). Right now, the writers are portraying him as the main rival for May in almost the exact same way Gary was to Ash. Our main hero/heroine is the underdog, and their goal from now on is to defeat this rival. Drew, like Gary, eggs May/Ash on to get them to lose their cool, which they have very little of. But unlike Gary, Drew is more reserved and a little more mature (probably from the lack of history between them in contrast). Unlike Gary, Drew is "cool" (as opposed to "popular") and noticeably a loner - he's a straight up introvert with a lot of confidence and but still with enough arrogance to push May over the edge. I thought that was pretty good on the writer's part. They brought back some elements of Ash's rivalry with Gary, but with some changes here and there so that it feels fresh.

I really like this kind of love story because, though catalysts are fun, they are wholly unneeded. We have one character already causing problems, making a divide between the lovers while being one of the lovers. It's funny and adorable to watch these stories pan out and all of the awkwardness and uncertainty the characters go through with each other simply because this is how they met. :3

lara lynx

Now That's Flower Power:

Drew was obviously brought in to be another Gary (although they made him a lot more likable I think), however I saw someone write somewhere that they believed Drew was written to be May's love interest from the beginning, and I kinda agree.
I mean, he met her because he was hanging around watching her from afar. Like Encyclopika said, he's an introvert, so it could be that he saw her and felt attracted straight away (I'm not gonna go as far as "love at first sight" XD), but he didn't want to just go up and talk to her. It makes sense that, when he does finally talk to her he just outright insults her. Assuming that he was somewhere between 10 - 13 years old at the time, that's the typical way guys that age act around girls they like.
I think that at this point he had no respect for her, but felt some kind of attraction or interest, because he wouldn't pay so much attention otherwise. Like Solidad points out later, he does in later episodes start to respect her as a coordinator, and (assuming the characters actually age at all) he matures a bit as the series go on, so he goes from being condescending to just teasing.

In my opinion, at first May was made to be fairly similar to Ash - very naive, slightly unobservant. I don't think she felt any attraction to him, at least until the second episode when she saw him perform, and I think it took a long time before she noticed the signs that he liked her

majormanafemale

I did one eenvolving fav ships which includes contestshipping handymanshipper on fanfiction.net the newest story.

RocketToTheMoon

"Now That's Flower Power":
Like those before me have said, May and Drew's relationship after their initial meeting was not the friendly-ish rivalry we know it as today. Drew was a snide and cocky boy with a huge ego at first; then he met May, who pretty much deflated his giant head. I do think that Drew was attracted to her from the start, but not with the intensity of true love at first sight. It was probably more of an admiration of her determination at first, which rapidly grew into wholehearted affection.

GloomyHaruka

They/them
Uhm, hi.; u ;
I'm not a Contestshipper, but rather, I'm an Advanceshipper.
Buuuuuuut, I just wanted to say;
YOU GUYS HAVE GREAT FANART!
Like frdehjghfrdjeskwgbhfndj I was looking at it today in my newsfeed on Deviantart and like, WOW! Great stuff~ I'm jelly, I must admit.xD Also, when I was a kid, I really HATED Drew with every inch of my heart. But like, now, I sort of find him sassy.xD
Needs some work in the fashion department though, but he's still got some sass.
I really don't ship it (but I like the ship tho if that makes any sense?), but I totally think Contestshippers are super cool okay?xD Wow, I'm really sorry though, this is so off topic and I just come barging in. Wow, I'm so rude.;__;

Okay, just to make sure I don't get off topic here, I guess I could answer a topic here?xD
(Uhm, just gonna make one up)

Fav Contestshipping artist (fanart)?:
I'd have to say my friend Yu from Vera's Tales Site.:3 Wow, she made really adorable ones!! I remember when I was a kid, I got so angry at myself cause I didn't want myself to think that it was pretty just because it was contestshipping.xD (I was 10 and stubborn) LOL.
But they still remained my favourite!:3
Here's her site though; http://www.veratales.it/
Another one?
I find this artist's style really cute tho; http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=313408
It's nice and smooth I find.~ And I know Pokesho made a few as well. Love his/her style for sure! (One of my favourite Pokemon artists)
Also, there's this other one, I don't have the link with me (sorry), but it's defiantly one of my favs! It's just like, May and Drew standing next to each other, but they're older and I just frbhdejghfrdjeskw. I love it! Drew looks so adorable with long-ish hair.xD Like no, you have no clue. I almost died~
And their outfits were really cool too!xD

Another thing I found cute about this ship was how determined May was to beat Drew in Johto!!xD gfhdjekghfbrdjnes. May is just such a cutie~

I just love how Drew was her rival though! It gave May such an opportunity for a great role in the show and gave her a lot of character development!
Like, because of him, she was really important in the show you know? I know the other pokegirls had rivals too and all, but they always seemed like cat fights sort of. But when Drew was her rival, I really liked it.
It gave off some girl power I guess?xD Like, for once, it was an actual rival rather than 'who's the best'. They were both equal and really had to work hard to trian themselves to show their worth to each other and to themselves. Because of that determination, it helped them discover who they were too.
That's why I liked Drew a lot, and it took me a while to understand that I find.xD (Ew, I was such a stubborn kid growing up) Yeah, he was a snob, but dayum, he was an important character! And sassy too! Don't forget sassy~

Ahaha, anyway's, I just felt like dropping in.; u ; I hope you all don't mind though!!

Encyclopika

The Queen
RockettotheMoon said:
I do think that Drew was attracted to her from the start, but not with the intensity of true love at first sight. It was probably more of an admiration of her determination at first, which rapidly grew into wholehearted affection.
I think we have a pretty good detail to discuss here. Did Drew like May from the VERY beginning? I'm not really sure. I find it that, the writers always intended for it to happen, but I personally don't think, after thinking on it a while, that Drew liked her during their first meeting. I believe, judging on Drew's history with Solidad:

His first contest is ambiguous - we don't know how long ago that happened, but let's assume it's a long time ago. From there, Drew gets insanely better very quickly, because Solidad is HIS rival, which is incredibly skewed in her favor. He needs to get good fast, and does, impressing everyone around him - judges, fans, opponents. With this quick trip to fame, it goes to his head a little, and besides Solidad, Drew doesn't often lose a match. This would explain his extreme cockiness, and would explain why he would have the nerve to be a jerk to May from the get-go. He sees her as himself when he first started - bumbling around and unskilled. Maybe that amuses him to the point where he finds great pleasure is knocking her confidence down a few pegs before she even gets into the ring.

Afterward, when they meet again, Drew has probably decided that battling her would have been a smarter idea, to truly see what she's made of. So, he forces her into a battle by holding the Bluk berries hostage, and actually sees she's not half bad - and is unpleasantly surprised that she's actually really good, despite her being a rooky. I think the seeds of affection are planted here, but that's still pretty ambiguous. However, it would explain why he decides to help the gang with TR, for him and for the writers to show he isn't truly an enemy.

I don't know, that's my take on it. Anyone else have a counter argument? I'd love to establish "when it all started".

To GloomyHaruka:
Psh, you're not rude! Come join us in our conversations. If you have any questions about CS, ask! We're the experts. :p
Glad you like our ship's fanart! I've seen some pretty good AS fanart in my day as well, but it's hard to find an artist who will draw both, considering their history - which wasn't the best. XD But I'm pretty sure everyone's over it. :p You and any other ASers are welcome here. ^_^
And thanks for the links! I haven't seen those works before! :3
And yes! May and Drew's rivalry (I think, anyway) was one of the best in the series, for the reasons you gave. They really grew together, and that's why I love this ship! It's dynamic!
Come back anytime!

GloomyHaruka

They/them
@Encyclopika Gwaaaaaaaaaaah gfrhdejsfgrhdeswfgthyrdujeswa you're so kind!!!; u ;
Hmmm agreed.; A ; But Yu has made fanart for both the ships, so I'm sure there's some more out there.xD And yeah, so I've heard.;___; Such a shame though.
But ahhhh thank you so so much!! <3 I'm really glad I came here.; u ; And no problemo, it's my pleasure!!

And hmmm, let me think of a good question to ask.~= u =
Well, I'm a big gen. 3 fan, but, now that I think about it, I don't think I know very much about Drew.D:
So, my question is, throughout the series, did we get a glimpse into Drew's past perhaps?:3 Sort of random, LOL.xD

grfyhdujeswgfrhydeujswghfnjdeskw but you're so nice, thank youuuuuuuu!!!!! <33333

Encyclopika

The Queen
GloomyHaruka said:
Well, I'm a big gen. 3 fan, but, now that I think about it, I don't think I know very much about Drew.D:
So, my question is, throughout the series, did we get a glimpse into Drew's past perhaps?:3 Sort of random, LOL.xD
Unfortunately, we actually don't get a lot of Drew backstory. As far as I can remember, the only time we get that is during the Kanto Grand Festival when Solidad shows up and basically spills Drews guts for him to May (I recommend watching the KGF because it's wonderful and has the info you're looking for):
-Drew faced off with Solidad in his first contest ever.
-She beat the crap out of him enough to make him cry. (which we understand completely when Solidad then beats the snot out of May).
-Drew's hometown is La Rousse City.
-Off screen, Drew began talking about May a lot to Solidad.
-We know nothing about his family or friends outside Solidad.
-We're pretty sure Roselia is his starter, since he's been seen to hang out with it like Ash does with Pikachu.

And I think that's all as far as true backstory goes. .-. Wish we got more.

⊱✿RedAshEntropy

· MultiShipper ·
Hello everyone! I just made a banner:)
[IMG139]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af38/Ashist/contest_zpscfbde5dd.png[/IMG139]
Yeah, It would be interesting to know more about Drew's back story.. I also wondered how do ever Drew talks about May. Oh I'm starting to miss everything out so sudden.XD

GloomyHaruka

They/them
@Encyclopika Hmmm that's really interesting! o: Yes, I heard about that one contest. I never saw the episode though, I guess I missed it.xD
And fhdjshbfndje I always found it really cool that he came from LaRousse City. Though, when I first watched the series, I'd always imagine him living in a small town like Verdanturf Town. It's a small town and has some flowers and what not.xD But yes, I'd have to agree with Ashist_Wilketch, I wish we'd know more.xD
But hgfdjyhgtfds thanks so much for answering my question!

And, another thing that I liked about Drew was his choice in Pokemon!xD DANG BOI.
He's got some awesome ones with him.(Ahahaha, it's funny how I say that now though. When I was a kid, I got so angry when he got an Absol.xD PFFFFT. LOL)
((Urgh, I wish Ash could have some cool, evolved Pokemon like Drew did.))

yhvujfdghyfjudekswhfndjm all this talk is making me in the mood to draw my first fanart of Drew x May x Ash.xD TEEHEE.

@Ashist_Wilketch grfhdejswghfjdswghfjndes it's sooooooooooooo cuteeee!!!; A ; You did an awesome job with it! I love the texture by the way.xD Very cute!~

I am Lu

I'm actually going to disagree with the sentiment that Drew was attracted to May when they first met in AG035. He sees May's cutesy frisbee performance on the beach with her Beautiful and recognizes an opportunity to antagonize her, because she's obviously a rookie. In short, it's a complete power trip for Drew. By putting her down, he puts himself on a higher pedestal. I should clarify, however, that this and the beginning of AG037 are the only episodes in which Drew is intentionally being an *** to May for no other reason then it makes him feel better about himself. After that, the way he speaks to her, his general attitude toward her, and his purpose for his teasing her changes.

Why would Drew be suck a jerk, though, when he proves himself to actually be a good friend and rival to May later on?

I think we can find the answer at the very end of AG, during the Kanto Grand Festival. Drew cries after Solidad beats him in his first contest. May cries after Drew beats her in her first contest. Drew and May's early contest days are supposed to parallel of each other; and Drew from the very beginning sees himself in May, and that makes him uncomfortable. Remember his reaction in AG180 when May lightheartedly teased him for crying after losing to Solidad? It's obviously a sore spot.

That's why he goes up an knocks her around on the beach; bullying is supposed to be a reflection of your own insecurities. However, because Drew is overall a nice guy, he helps out later on with Roselia's Solarbeam when TR steals the berries. His condescension to May continues after that, though, and it bleeds into the next episode he appears: AG037.

I said earlier that Drew's power trip ends about mid-way through this episode. This is the moment when his opinion of her begins to change. He's surprised by her appeal performance, and he stops jerkishly belittling her and bragging about his own talents after that. He starts to take her more seriously. Sure, he still teases her, but it's changed; you might notice that the nature of his teasing, after this point, shifts from being destructive to constructive. The insults he flings at her in AG035 and the first half of AG037 are meant to tear her down; the insults after come more in the form of advice hidden under a layer of criticism. Constructive criticism, that is.

But, while I think Drew was not interested in May in AG035, there is a scene in AG037 that we can literally mark as the beginning of when Drew begins to develop special feelings (however small) for her. If this is the moment he begins to respect May, then this is the moment he feels a spark of attraction to her. Just look at the way he's looking at her; it's the first time he's ever looked at her so endearingly, and it matches this later scene in AG187, when Drew's feelings for May have had a lot of time to develop and become more obvious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.