• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Contestshipping (May x Drew) Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Encyclopika

The Queen
Tiffany said:
10...years. Almost. Oh my gosh. Well, I feel like the Wynaut episode was crucial to showing us their development. It showed May and Drew's relationship and how they weren't only rivals, but more than that. They were now friends, at least, and who can deny those softened glances Drew gave May when she was playing with the Wynaut? They started to see each other in a different light, and my feelings about this episode haven't changed one bit. :]
I also found this episode to be sort of like a hinge for which episodes later could hook onto and propel CS further. When the episode first aired, I had expected the relationship to go further in the Hoenn GF, but alas, it seemed to be up a tick, but stable. The only thing that really changed was that Drew started sticking his nose into May's affairs a little more. He starts off as an atagonist, for the most part, in most/all of the episodes (to May's face, anyway) before the Wynaut Ep, and then after it, he becomes a sort of support, even though May doesn't realize it until very late in the game (and it is adorable in Unbeatable Lightness when she calls after him, THANKING HIM for this).
I also find that, after the Wynaut Ep, the two become much more aware of each other and get involved with each other's business more often. Like I said before, prior to the Wynaut Episode, May and Drew do their own thing, meeting each other for brief instances or doing shippy things from afar (Drew in the Phantom episode, for instance). Then after it, Drew snoops around and obviously doesn't trust Harley (enough to butt in and warn May that what Harley was saying was complete crap), and May joins Drew in the hunt for Arcanine (even though this isn't shippy, it's still in Drew's personal space). We don't see this personal mingling very much before the Wynaut ep, except for maybe in the Rubello Contest when May catches Drew training Masquerain (and then he catches her spying).

But anyway, about the episode itself. It's a trophy stash of canon hints on Drew's side. But I think it's #1 function was to soften May's outlook on Drew. Up until this point, like I keep repeating, he's just a rival or antagonist to her goals. With Harley's introduction and this episode, this one-dimensional view of him breaks down, not only for May, but also for the viewer.

They are extremely cute together throughout the whole thing - with Drew constantly directing his conversation and attention to May, even while Roderick is there, and May, again, shows openess towards Drew. She really does not (and never did) harbor any real bad feelings towards him, but I still wouldn't consider them friends. I always felt that was a huge cover-up by May, or just something she said because she really doesn't know what to call Drew yet. I find it really astounding how Drew kept himself mysterious and antagonizing enough to remain a not-really-friend and still managed, from what I saw, to win over the girl. Either that was a happy accident, or it was calculated genius. IDK.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
I also found this episode to be sort of like a hinge for which episodes later could hook onto and propel CS further. When the episode first aired, I had expected the relationship to go further in the Hoenn GF, but alas, it seemed to be up a tick, but stable. The only thing that really changed was that Drew started sticking his nose into May's affairs a little more. He starts off as an atagonist, for the most part, in most/all of the episodes (to May's face, anyway) before the Wynaut Ep, and then after it, he becomes a sort of support, even though May doesn't realize it until very late in the game (and it is adorable in Unbeatable Lightness when she calls after him, THANKING HIM for this).
I also find that, after the Wynaut Ep, the two become much more aware of each other and get involved with each other's business more often. Like I said before, prior to the Wynaut Episode, May and Drew do their own thing, meeting each other for brief instances or doing shippy things from afar (Drew in the Phantom episode, for instance). Then after it, Drew snoops around and obviously doesn't trust Harley (enough to butt in and warn May that what Harley was saying was complete crap), and May joins Drew in the hunt for Arcanine (even though this isn't shippy, it's still in Drew's personal space). We don't see this personal mingling very much before the Wynaut ep, except for maybe in the Rubello Contest when May catches Drew training Masquerain (and then he catches her spying).

But anyway, about the episode itself. It's a trophy stash of canon hints on Drew's side. But I think it's #1 function was to soften May's outlook on Drew. Up until this point, like I keep repeating, he's just a rival or antagonist to her goals. With Harley's introduction and this episode, this one-dimensional view of him breaks down, not only for May, but also for the viewer.

They are extremely cute together throughout the whole thing - with Drew constantly directing his conversation and attention to May, even while Roderick is there, and May, again, shows openess towards Drew. She really does not (and never did) harbor any real bad feelings towards him, but I still wouldn't consider them friends. I always felt that was a huge cover-up by May, or just something she said because she really doesn't know what to call Drew yet. I find it really astounding how Drew kept himself mysterious and antagonizing enough to remain a not-really-friend and still managed, from what I saw, to win over the girl. Either that was a happy accident, or it was calculated genius. IDK.

I always love reading your interpretations and explanations of things. :3 It really is amazing how May and Drew's relationship progressed. The first episode you're just like "wow who's this douchebag" (most of us love that, though) and then to see how far him and May have come. I really, really love the whole May/Drew/Harley dynamic. Sure, Drew is still a rival, but I feel like Harley; along with being a rival, was one of the catalysts that showed us "hey, us CSers aren't /too/ crazy and the writers actually did all this rose-tossing and backhanded compliments for a reason"!
Yet again, I'm sure a lot of us were like "hey, these two are cute together" and saw the subtext of all of their interactions and their potential/setup since day one. :p
That's just my opinion on the whole thing. :p Sorry if my interpretation makes no sense whatsoever.

Encyclopika

The Queen
midnightjewelz said:
I've been trying to kill characters in my last story I finished. It was really hard since I loved them so much. I think making Ash die to save Dawn and Paul really hit me hard. Maybe because if Ash was given the chance to die to save a friend he would do it without a doubt.
I would advise very strongly to only kill characters when it makes sense with the story. (That's obvious and common sense, so I'm sure you know that, but it's worth mentioning). The atmosphere you create in your fic must be welcoming of such events. Any story where I killed off characters, the atmosphere was already dire to begin with. With anything that happens in a fic, you are better off building up to a climax like that and writing yourself into a hole where the only options are kill so-and-so or have a lack-luster falling action sequence.

aloasa said:
and me XD, I can't write ****, even if I want to XD, but I do want to write a Contestshipping story, it just that I don't have an Idea of a good story
I think we can help with that. Even if we never get to writing it, coming up with interesting plot-bunnies could be really fun. ^_^

Tiffany said:
I always love reading your interpretations and explanations of things. :3
I learned from the master~~~ /oh my glob Jo-Jo needs to come baaaaack! DX

I really, really love the whole May/Drew/Harley dynamic. Sure, Drew is still a rival, but I feel like Harley; along with being a rival, was one of the catalysts that showed us "hey, us CSers aren't /too/ crazy and the writers actually did all this rose-tossing and backhanded compliments for a reason"!
Yes! Harley was a canon-shipper, which was odd, because he dislikes May and therefore dislikes Drew. But then again, sometimes I wonder what Harley's deal is. It seems in Unbeatable Lightness he acts like someone who will eventually become a friend to them. When we see cameos of him, Drew, and Solidad, Harley seems to care a little bit about May's performances in the Wallace Cup. /that probably has something to do with Solidad
But I just love in-show shippers. The only purpose of these characters (Caroline, Harley, and even Brianna to an extent) all intentionally brought CS up in a very obvious way. When Caroline teases May after the Hoenn Grand Festival, that's purposely there to make it click to you - there must be something going on. Harley especially takes the cake on this - the writers constantly have him bring up CS:

-When he notices the rose May gets from Drew at the beginning of the HGF - he immediately connects it to romantic interest, which, up until this point, the viewer should have been doing as well. May gets really flustered here, which I think we should talk about. We discussed when Drew's feelings for May started, but what about May's feelings? We are pretty sure she reciprocates, and we know it's later, but is it as late as we think?
-When Harley's evil plan comes to light in the Hoenn Grand Festival, he has no problem calling Drew May's boyfriend, which illicits pretty much no reaction from either of them (but I guess Drew usually doesn't show it and May was too distraught from the betrayal to do so).
-Harley then also, in Unbeatable Lightness suggests that May and Drew alone time is risque. (LMFAO)

And then little Brianna who probably would rather not, but does, fan the flames of CS in so many ways, especially when she outright asks May if she likes Drew, which, I always thought, meant that she had an inkling, and could probably explain why she all of a sudden got in May's face about it. (Poor girl never had a chance...)

Yet again, I'm sure a lot of us were like "hey, these two are cute together" and saw the subtext of all of their interactions and their potential/setup since day one.
That's just my opinion on the whole thing. Sorry if my interpretation makes no sense whatsoever.
Most of us in the thread, yes, but the writers took a risk introducing a ship like this. Drew easily rubbed people the wrong way during his first appearance, and as some resident ASers in the thread have said...well, that's exactly what happened - they couldn't like the ship for it. And then there are people like me who thrive on ships like that (for the most part, I have my limits). But it just seems in Pokemon, those are the ships I'm drawn to - these antagonistic ships. They're just spicy! XD

Last edited:

RocketToTheMoon

Encyclopika: Awesome analysis of the episode. I agree completely.

I, too, absolutely love canon in-show CSers. Solidad is also on that list, IMO, since she pretty much outright said "He's gotten feelings for you" to May at the KGF. So I include her with Har, Caroline and Brianna.

We discussed when Drew's feelings for May started, but what about May's feelings? We are pretty sure she reciprocates, and we know it's later, but is it as late as we think?
Honestly, I see innocent May as being the type that's really intrigued by eluslive, egotistical Drew. It play on the whole "opposites attract" cliché, pretty much. She seemed kind of curious about him right from the start, like 'who is this guy and where'd he come from??' We'd like to know, too. -_-;
The roses probably started registering in her mind as more than just flowers when she finally asked if "this one was for Beautifly" and he didn't give her a straightforward 'yes'. That probably got the gears grinding in her head and she realized he might like her, then she wondered how she felt about that, thought it over and over and ended up ultimately falling for him.

GloomyHaruka

They/them
ok I have had it, I saw nor one, not two BUT 3 SCHOOL FICS!!!!!!!!
my reaction without the "You know I'm OK with this part"

I'm sorry to this comunity but I have had it with bad fics, I want to write one and demonstrate that there is more than schoolfic but I have no inspiration and seriously I'm getting annoy from my lack of ideas
Okay jeez, calm down. There are other great fics out there. You just have to look. And I'm sure the quality of those fics were good. Please don't dub them as bad. Just because you don't like the theme of those fics, doesn't mean it's bad.

Anyway's, to get back on topic, I found this AMAZING Contestshipping fanart. I'm sure you've all seen it probably, but I like it a lot, so I'm gonna share it nonetheless.xD LOL.
If you have a DA, make sure to show your support to this artist!!

http://poplarleaves.deviantart.com/...329740220?q=favby:gloomy-haruka/39731956&qo=1

I am Lu

High school AUs dominate the Pokemon fandom and tend to be downright awful, so I understand the frustration. You have to comb through Fanfiction.net if you want to find decent Contestshipping material, but it exists.

aloasa

The sound of drums
@gloomyharuka, no they were bad, as in worst than Tidus in FF10, money bags, makarov, mr. resetti and the duck hunt dog COMBINE, but I think I can manage if I found just one good fic, and I'm kinda finding a good plotline for the CS fic I want to do, and DAMMIT GLOOMY I WANTE TO POST THAT IMAGE!! :mad:
@I am Lu, same response as with gloomy :)

and because Gloomy posted the Image I wanted to post first I'll post this one (same author)

http://poplarleaves.deviantart.com/art/Passion-323678904

Encyclopika

The Queen
RockettotheMoon said:
I, too, absolutely love canon in-show CSers. Solidad is also on that list, IMO, since she pretty much outright said "He's gotten feelings for you" to May at the KGF. So I include her with Har, Caroline and Brianna.
YES! I almost forgot when I was concentrating on Harley! XD However, though I believe Solidad to be an in-show shipper (and kind of a mary-sue :X), I think I remember when the episode aired in English, there was skepticism because she actually didn't say that in the Japanese version. Which makes sense, because when she spills Drew's guts for him, there is absolutely no reaction at all. The reaction comes when she reveals other not-so-flattering things about him (/why is she so evil???). However, her telling May that Drew talks about her a lot is still an indicator of interest on Drew's side, but Solidad is probably just saying it as she sees it. I wouldn't say she wouldn't support it, but I don't remember it being as clear as when Caroline or Harley did it.

Honestly, I see innocent May as being the type that's really intrigued by eluslive, egotistical Drew. It play on the whole "opposites attract" cliché, pretty much. She seemed kind of curious about him right from the start, like 'who is this guy and where'd he come from??' We'd like to know, too. -_-;
It really is an opposites attract pair, down to every detail. Just look at the contrast of their character designs and personalities!

The roses probably started registering in her mind as more than just flowers when she finally asked if "this one was for Beautifly" and he didn't give her a straightforward 'yes'. That probably got the gears grinding in her head and she realized he might like her, then she wondered how she felt about that, thought it over and over and ended up ultimately falling for him.
Great connection! That particular rose is a favorite of mine, because May is so playful about it, like "Yeah, I'm not buying the Beautifly stuff anymore", and just like that, the roses for Beautifly end.
May is hard to pick apart, though. Her reactions to Drew can be summarized, but it's not a straight line from annoying rival to love interest. I've recently watched all of the CS episodes, so I'll go down some of them to show you how unclear May's feelings towards Drew are, and how they change, back and forth.

Now That's Flower Power - He's her new, annoying rival. Mostly anger and trying to prove herself.
Win, Lose, or Drew - Pretty much the same as above, except for the first split second when she gets the first rose.

Pros and Con Artists - He's given her the second rose, but she's mostly overwhelmed by his presence, as a challenge. Also shocked she caught him battling with Ash (for seemingly no good reason).
Come What May - He's pretty much used to show how powerful Grace is. He then gives her another rose, this one being the one we were just talking about. So she might have an inkling here.

Phantom Episodes - May's concerned about him, but generally is unaware of his watching her compete in the contest. Not much to say about these eps. :S

Rubello Contest - I think this is when May starts to become interested in Drew as a person (as seen when she spies on his training with Masquerain), but he's still acting like a jerk, so she's still keeping her distance. It's sad, because even though the exchanges are now a mix of playfulness and jerkyness (like the first few episodes are melded into one) we don't see anything terribly romantic on May's side.

Wynaut Episode - We already discussed this one, but let's look at May. In the beginning of the episode, May is really noticeably stand-offish towards Drew at first, and then takes the opportunity to show off her four ribbons. She gets embarrassed when he shows her his five, and tells her Pacifidlog is her last chance at the GF. The rivalry is really evident here, but I also get the sense that May wants to prove herself to Drew beyond just a rivalry. Sometimes, when she does things like this, it makes me feel like she wants Drew's approval. This isn't set in stone, or anything, but it would put the Wynaut Episode on another tier, as it always was, in terms of numbers of hints.
And then afterward, when May and Drew are separated from the others, she makes a comment about not being happy being stuck with him, after he makes a similar comment. It's really a weird exchange. I actually don't know what to say about it. At this point, Drew is trying to hide his feelings still and May really just seems to follow suit - I bet they just feel awkward being stuck together like this. May continues to follow Drew's dialogue, with whatever he says, constantly falling into his verbal traps until they fall into the river. Then May's attitude about him does a 180 and then she's acting as if Drew were Ash - a friend. And then her attitude resets again when they're leaving Mirage Island. I still wouldn't put any romantic feelings in there for May, but I believe the foundation for it is set in this episode.

The Hoenn Grand Festival - May receives another rose from Drew, but is so angry at what he's said to her that she just accepts it - because it's an every-occurance thing now, and continues the rivalry jabbing. Then Harley appears, makes his romantic guess at the rose, and FINALLY. We get a solid reaction out of May. Still not proof she has feelings for Drew, but she may be aware of his...and if she didn't before, she probably does now. I wouldn't judge her for being uncomfortable with notion as she was - afterall, she doesn't know how to feel about a guy who hands her roses and then makes the remarks he does. May is also mostly paling around with Harley, for most of the GF.
At the very end of the HGF, though, I think we can finally say that perhaps the first notion that May was considering Drew a love interest was on the beach after they said their goodbyes. There's a long pause of May staring after him that indicates to me that she's finally thinking of this possibility that they might be more than friends. Caroline helps seal the deal, I think.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
YES! I almost forgot when I was concentrating on Harley! XD However, though I believe Solidad to be an in-show shipper (and kind of a mary-sue :X), I think I remember when the episode aired in English, there was skepticism because she actually didn't say that in the Japanese version. Which makes sense, because when she spills Drew's guts for him, there is absolutely no reaction at all. The reaction comes when she reveals other not-so-flattering things about him (/why is she so evil???). However, her telling May that Drew talks about her a lot is still an indicator of interest on Drew's side, but Solidad is probably just saying it as she sees it. I wouldn't say she wouldn't support it, but I don't remember it being as clear as when Caroline or Harley did it.

It really is an opposites attract pair, down to every detail. Just look at the contrast of their character designs and personalities!

Great connection! That particular rose is a favorite of mine, because May is so playful about it, like "Yeah, I'm not buying the Beautifly stuff anymore", and just like that, the roses for Beautifly end.
May is hard to pick apart, though. Her reactions to Drew can be summarized, but it's not a straight line from annoying rival to love interest. I've recently watched all of the CS episodes, so I'll go down some of them to show you how unclear May's feelings towards Drew are, and how they change, back and forth.

Now That's Flower Power - He's her new, annoying rival. Mostly anger and trying to prove herself.
Win, Lose, or Drew - Pretty much the same as above, except for the first split second when she gets the first rose.

Pros and Con Artists - He's given her the second rose, but she's mostly overwhelmed by his presence, as a challenge. Also shocked she caught him battling with Ash (for seemingly no good reason).
Come What May - He's pretty much used to show how powerful Grace is. He then gives her another rose, this one being the one we were just talking about. So she might have an inkling here.

Phantom Episodes - May's concerned about him, but generally is unaware of his watching her compete in the contest. Not much to say about these eps. :S

Rubello Contest - I think this is when May starts to become interested in Drew as a person (as seen when she spies on his training with Masquerain), but he's still acting like a jerk, so she's still keeping her distance. It's sad, because even though the exchanges are now a mix of playfulness and jerkyness (like the first few episodes are melded into one) we don't see anything terribly romantic on May's side.

Wynaut Episode - We already discussed this one, but let's look at May. In the beginning of the episode, May is really noticeably stand-offish towards Drew at first, and then takes the opportunity to show off her four ribbons. She gets embarrassed when he shows her his five, and tells her Pacifidlog is her last chance at the GF. The rivalry is really evident here, but I also get the sense that May wants to prove herself to Drew beyond just a rivalry. Sometimes, when she does things like this, it makes me feel like she wants Drew's approval. This isn't set in stone, or anything, but it would put the Wynaut Episode on another tier, as it always was, in terms of numbers of hints.
And then afterward, when May and Drew are separated from the others, she makes a comment about not being happy being stuck with him, after he makes a similar comment. It's really a weird exchange. I actually don't know what to say about it. At this point, Drew is trying to hide his feelings still and May really just seems to follow suit - I bet they just feel awkward being stuck together like this. May continues to follow Drew's dialogue, with whatever he says, constantly falling into his verbal traps until they fall into the river. Then May's attitude about him does a 180 and then she's acting as if Drew were Ash - a friend. And then her attitude resets again when they're leaving Mirage Island. I still wouldn't put any romantic feelings in there for May, but I believe the foundation for it is set in this episode.

The Hoenn Grand Festival - May receives another rose from Drew, but is so angry at what he's said to her that she just accepts it - because it's an every-occurance thing now, and continues the rivalry jabbing. Then Harley appears, makes his romantic guess at the rose, and FINALLY. We get a solid reaction out of May. Still not proof she has feelings for Drew, but she may be aware of his...and if she didn't before, she probably does now. I wouldn't judge her for being uncomfortable with notion as she was - afterall, she doesn't know how to feel about a guy who hands her roses and then makes the remarks he does. May is also mostly paling around with Harley, for most of the GF.
At the very end of the HGF, though, I think we can finally say that perhaps the first notion that May was considering Drew a love interest was on the beach after they said their goodbyes. There's a long pause of May staring after him that indicates to me that she's finally thinking of this possibility that they might be more than friends. Caroline helps seal the deal, I think.

I agree with Caroline being the one who finally cements the idea in May's head. I think Harley's teasing throughout the GF may have also made her start to reevaluate her relationship with Drew. He's, like, the ultimate Contestshipper.
Let's not forget the grail that is the Wakana episode.. (I still refuse to call it whatever it's called. :p) I watched that episode and holy crap I can't believe I forgot about exactly how canon CS was. Teehee.

lara lynx

Encyclopika said:
I read somewhere that their japanese names are literal opposites of each other - Haruka means spring and Shuu means autumn, or something to that effect? If this is right, then Drew was quite literally designed to be her opposite from the start :)

We discussed when Drew's feelings for May started, but what about May's feelings? We are pretty sure she reciprocates, and we know it's later, but is it as late as we think?
This is actually quite a hard question. I've said before that I think May was written to be kind of a female version of Ash, and she shares his naivety and innocence, so I think she didn't start to suspect Drew's feeling towards her until Brianna pretty much pointed it out. The question is, had she started developing feelings towards him before this, or did she only start to look at him that way after she knew he liked her already?
I think she had begun to like him, but hadn't quite realised it yet. She starts to show interest and affection for him fairly early on, such as watching him practice with masquerain behind the pokemon centre, or the way she greets him happily and seems concerned at the beginning of Disaster of Disguise - she obviously never disliked him, and is actually the first to approach him on some occasions. The wynaut ep was probably when those feelings started to grow. She got to spend time one on one with Drew, they saved each others lives - the kind of stuff that makes good relationships :D I think this is the point where they start to respect each other, and I think its here that they start to consider each other as friends (May denies it in the GF, but it seems to me that shes being defensive because Harley had pointed out the romantic connotations of the rose). After he helps her out with Harley she definitely sees more of a friend in him, and she gets especially upset when he yells at her.
So by the time she meets Brianna, I think the foundations of her feelings towards him were there, but she needed someone to question it, to make her see them. After this, May starts to act a bit more coy around Drew, more flirty than friendly, and she becomes a lot more confident with him, teasing him back and so on.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
I read somewhere that their japanese names are literal opposites of each other - Haruka means spring and Shuu means autumn, or something to that effect? If this is right, then Drew was quite literally designed to be her opposite from the start :)

This is actually quite a hard question. I've said before that I think May was written to be kind of a female version of Ash, and she shares his naivety and innocence, so I think she didn't start to suspect Drew's feeling towards her until Brianna pretty much pointed it out. The question is, had she started developing feelings towards him before this, or did she only start to look at him that way after she knew he liked her already?
I think she had begun to like him, but hadn't quite realised it yet. She starts to show interest and affection for him fairly early on, such as watching him practice with masquerain behind the pokemon centre, or the way she greets him happily and seems concerned at the beginning of Disaster of Disguise - she obviously never disliked him, and is actually the first to approach him on some occasions. The wynaut ep was probably when those feelings started to grow. She got to spend time one on one with Drew, they saved each others lives - the kind of stuff that makes good relationships :D I think this is the point where they start to respect each other, and I think its here that they start to consider each other as friends (May denies it in the GF, but it seems to me that shes being defensive because Harley had pointed out the romantic connotations of the rose). After he helps her out with Harley she definitely sees more of a friend in him, and she gets especially upset when he yells at her.
So by the time she meets Brianna, I think the foundations of her feelings towards him were there, but she needed someone to question it, to make her see them. After this, May starts to act a bit more coy around Drew, more flirty than friendly, and she becomes a lot more confident with him, teasing him back and so on.

Gosh, I'm such a huge fan of the whole opposites and yin/yang thing. I remember I read that whole bit about their names, too, and I was like "oh my gosh". I love how their differences make the other stand out so much.

RocketToTheMoon

I found a really fluffy but good oneshot by the girl who made the fanart mentioned above: http://poplarleaves.deviantart.com/art/30-Days-two-cuddling-337536248

Encyclopika said:
GAH! I was wondering why May's reaction seemed waaaay too casual after what Solidad said. Now I've gotta go apologize to May for wanting to slap some sense into her for not realizing what Solidad just told her ^^;; But either way, she said it, and that's all I need. xD
Caroline and Harley got more of a reaction, to me, because they were so teasing about it. Caroline in her motherly way, and Harley...just being Harley. ("It's daaangerous! Two kids alone like this!" /love you, Har). They were purposely trying to incite a reaction from them--well, May at least, Drew wouldn't say anything either way.

Encyclopika

The Queen
lara lynx said:
I've said before that I think May was written to be kind of a female version of Ash, and she shares his naivety and innocence, so I think she didn't start to suspect Drew's feeling towards her until Brianna pretty much pointed it out.
How do you see her reaction to the rose he threw her at the end of the Fallarbor Contest (after she gets her first ever ribbon)? I always saw it as she had an inkling...since she's so...somewhat sarcastic when she asks if the rose is for Beautifly or not (when before she'd get mad/upset when he said that). I'm not trying to start an argument, just discussing. XD

I think she had begun to like him, but hadn't quite realised it yet. She starts to show interest and affection for him fairly early on, such as watching him practice with masquerain behind the pokemon centre, or the way she greets him happily and seems concerned at the beginning of Disaster of Disguise - she obviously never disliked him, and is actually the first to approach him on some occasions.
Yes...I find the gravitational pull Drew and May have on one another to be really quite adorable. Whenever they are in a scene together, their focus switches right to the other and everyone else is pretty much standing around (this is especially obvious when May wins her final ribbon in Kanto, and she just turns around and bolts for Drew while Ash is still talking to her, it's pretty funny). I always found it quite peculiar, because Drew rarely, in the beginning, showed May his sweeter side, so why she would go up to him, only to be criticized, is really kinda pathetic...<3<3<3

So by the time she meets Brianna, I think the foundations of her feelings towards him were there, but she needed someone to question it, to make her see them.
Yes, I think this is pretty undeniable. Once Brianna brought it up, clear as day, the gears really started turning in May's head about this possibility of considering Drew something more than a friend. The dub of this episode is pretty painful to watch though. DX I really implore anyone who hasn't seen it or still has fond memories of it rewatch it Raw or Subbed, because Brianna's "Mr.Drew" crap was the dumbest thing ever. DX

RockettotheMoon said:
GAH! I was wondering why May's reaction seemed waaaay too casual after what Solidad said. Now I've gotta go apologize to May for wanting to slap some sense into her for not realizing what Solidad just told her ^^;; But either way, she said it, and that's all I need. xD
LOL I had really forgotten about it until I rewatched, and I was like "this is really awkward...good job PUSA /sarcasm"

lara lynx

Encyclopika said:
How do you see her reaction to the rose he threw her at the end of the Fallarbor Contest (after she gets her first ever ribbon)? I always saw it as she had an inkling...since she's so...somewhat sarcastic when she asks if the rose is for Beautifly or not (when before she'd get mad/upset when he said that). I'm not trying to start an argument, just discussing. XD
Well I think shes only loosely based on Ash - as a girl she should naturally have more of a clue when it comes to romance XD But I think she knew the roses were never meant for beautifly, but I'm still not sure if she saw them as romantic in the beginning. I think she saw them more as symbols of respect, or something like that maybe? I say this because, whenever he gave her one, she never got embarrassed about it, she just took them cheerfully. Then Harley comes along and points out how romantic it is, and all of a sudden she gets all flushed XD

Yes...I find the gravitational pull Drew and May have on one another to be really quite adorable. Whenever they are in a scene together, their focus switches right to the other and everyone else is pretty much standing around (this is especially obvious when May wins her final ribbon in Kanto, and she just turns around and bolts for Drew while Ash is still talking to her, it's pretty funny). I always found it quite peculiar, because Drew rarely, in the beginning, showed May his sweeter side, so why she would go up to him, only to be criticized, is really kinda pathetic...<3<3<3
I just re-watched that one recently, and I love the way Drew's very quick to make an excuse and leave at the end. Its like he's embarrassed that shes seen that sweet side to him

The dub of this episode is pretty painful to watch though. DX I really implore anyone who hasn't seen it or still has fond memories of it rewatch it Raw or Subbed, because Brianna's "Mr.Drew" crap was the dumbest thing ever. DX
"Mr Rose". I think the look on my face must have matched Drew's when she called him that XD I've never seen the original of this ep though, so might have a look around

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
Oh god that episode was SO AWKWARD TO WATCH BECAUSE OF PUSA AND THE WHOLE "MR. DREW" BIT. However; in my opinion, that episode was the major grail and major concrete evidence we were all looking for. It seemed Drew was more apparent, but having another love interest; albiet one-sided, really made May think--like you all said. Also, Jessie was also great in that episode. :p

BlueDragonfangirl

Man, feels like forever since we had AG and Contestshipping, its nice to see the fandom still going strong after all these years. They did have a lot of hints though, understandable.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
Man, feels like forever since we had AG and Contestshipping, its nice to see the fandom still going strong after all these years. They did have a lot of hints though, understandable.

Yeah, it is! It seems like it comes and goes in waves, but we're still strong! Contestshipping was one of the most canon Pokemon ships, I believe. I remember the day Cybercubed even deemd it canon. :p

Encyclopika

The Queen
lara lynx said:
But I think she knew the roses were never meant for beautifly, but I'm still not sure if she saw them as romantic in the beginning. I think she saw them more as symbols of respect, or something like that maybe? I say this because, whenever he gave her one, she never got embarrassed about it, she just took them cheerfully. Then Harley comes along and points out how romantic it is, and all of a sudden she gets all flushed XD
Hmmm, but when Drew gives her the first rose, she does actually blush for a second. I think that means she was assuming something about it, and like the rest of us, knows what a red rose symbolizes.
I think the reason May never got embarassed over it, before Harley, was for two reasons:
1 - they were usually in private or in front of Ash & co which never ever said anything about them...at least, not until Kanto.
2 - she was too busy getting upset/angry because Drew was simultaneously being a jerk.

We could also both be right - as I listed before, May's feelings are really inconsistent for a good chunk of their interactions. ^_^;

Tiffany said:
Oh god that episode was SO AWKWARD TO WATCH BECAUSE OF PUSA AND THE WHOLE "MR. DREW" BIT. However; in my opinion, that episode was the major grail and major concrete evidence we were all looking for. It seemed Drew was more apparent, but having another love interest; albiet one-sided, really made May think--like you all said. Also, Jessie was also great in that episode.
Brianna's episode was surely an episode worth noting...I felt like Brianna's whole presence was meant to be a catalyst to CS and that's all. Oh, and being a COTD coordinator for May to beat. XD Thinking back, I'm going to say that May had already been fumbling over this idea for a bit (I really can't get over how she stares after Drew at the end of the Hoenn GF) but Brianna's persistence made her make up her mind.

And to be slightly off-topic - I frickin' love TR during these contest episodes. They are just so hilarious, I found myself LOLing whenever they were on screen...and then when they teamed up with Harley...holy crap, what a good time! <3

Last edited:

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
High school AUs dominate the Pokemon fandom and tend to be downright awful, so I understand the frustration. You have to comb through Fanfiction.net if you want to find decent Contestshipping material, but it exists.

Mainly in most fandoms really. Not just the pokemon fandom themselves. Like Kingdom Hearts, nearly every noobies first fic is based on high school.

And I'm trying to write a CS oneshot. It is so hard to write it when you have been writing advance for the last five years. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.