• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Contestshipping (May x Drew) Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
I have a topic for you guys!

At what point did you actually start shipping May and Drew? Was it at first meeting, or afterwards? When did you feel that they were canon?

lara lynx

Hey guys, I've been procrastinating again :D

Found this author who has some pretty good contestshipping fics, compared to a lot of the stuff I've read recently. Some of their stuff has been around for a while, so I apologise if you've already seen it, but I thought I'd share it in case anyone hadn't :)

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
That author is amazing! I really love the Cadence of their Fear (? I think that's what it's called?) trilogy. Such an amazing storyline! Fic recs are always needed and wanted!

Encyclopika

The Queen
Let's liven this place up, shall we?

At what point did you actually start shipping May and Drew? Was it at first meeting, or afterwards? When did you feel that they were canon?
I think I started to to really ship it between the Slateport contest and Fallarbor Contest, because I distinctly remember flipping out over the end of Fallarbor (Drew's "Yeah, something like that" rose), so yeah. I felt they were canon around the time the Wakana episode aired, but was only 100% when Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing aired and then May left for Johto as Drew suggested. I think that gave me the confidence to say out loud what I had been thinking all along - this is actually a legitimate Pokemon pairing!

Last edited:

⊱✿RedAshEntropy

· MultiShipper ·

I believe it was their first meeting that made me wanna watch AG all over again..and afterwards I started to ship then. Their rivalry is one of the my most awaited scenes for Contestshipping and my eyes can't stop watching when they starting their battle in a contest.

Estellise

peachy
I shipped them the moment Drew gave May a rose for the first time (i completely forgot which episode that was. ~.~) That rose really opened me to ContestShipping... I mean, why would you give someone a gift if you didn't like them? Besides, roses symbolize love. <3

BlueDragonfangirl

Do you guys think May and Drew are together by now?

I started shipping it towards the end of the series, they'd keep giving more and more ovbious hints, with Pokemon they have a hard time adding romance so :p

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."

I started shipping it towards the end of the series, they'd keep giving more and more ovbious hints, with Pokemon they have a hard time adding romance so :p

Well May didn't mention Drew that much in the Wallace Cup arc. So I can't really say their together right now.

lara lynx

BlueDragonfangirl said:
I doubt they'd be "together" yet, and actually I kinda like the idea of them carrying on their flirtationship until they mature a bit more. But, with some pressure from Harley and Solidad, I imagine something would've happened by now - maybe a first kiss or something like that

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod

I don't think I would want them to be together for a while, to be honest. Their interactions are too adorable and hilarious to watch. :p

Encyclopika

The Queen
Hey guys - before I go on with my post, I just wanna remind you guys that the Popular Ships Survey will be ending soon, and CS could use some more data (and some of you haven't answered my questions!). Please do so at your earliest convenience!here.

Anyway:

No, I don't think so, but they might be close. I think it will still be some time before they get to that point. It seemed really close at the end of the Lightness episode. Like, I don't know if anyone else got this feeling, but it felt like, to me, that May and Drew had finally become habituated to the idea that their relationship has come a long way, and that it might blossom into something more later on. Like, I think that's the calmest we had ever seen them through the entire series. They were actually really comfortable with each other at the end, and even opted to "hang out" alone in a secluded area. There was no teasing, or flabbergasted blushing, embarrassment, or anything like that while they were talking to each other (Harley ruined it, but whatever). I think that there's a good chance, that, if this were anything other than Pokemon, May and Drew would be an item next time we saw Ash get into contact with May. I really wouldn't be surprised (I'd be quite delighted).

Most people seem to be answering the question of "Would you want May and Drew together now in the series?" and I'd say yes, and it's not because I'm a ridiculous shipper. I think they're ready, I think the end of Lightness really supports that notion. Either that, or the flirting has gone up a few notches. :p

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
NOPE DON'T WANT THIS THREAD CLOSED

So.. during my massive rewatching (admittingly, I'm still doing it) I've noticed something in the Wynaut episode. I really, REALLY love the use of continued use of Beautifly and Masquerain in this episode. In my crazy and over analytical brain, I feel like this is somewhat relevant and important. We all know that Beautifly and Masquerain are compatible, and this whole episode basically reinstates and confirms the fact that May and Drew work (cough and go well) together. Maybe this was done on purpose... We'll never know. ;)
I just thought that was a nice touch, and GOD I FREAKING LOVE THIS COUPLE.

lara lynx

Tiffany said:
So.. during my massive rewatching (admittingly, I'm still doing it) I've noticed something in the Wynaut episode. I really, REALLY love the use of continued use of Beautifly and Masquerain in this episode. In my crazy and over analytical brain, I feel like this is somewhat relevant and important. We all know that Beautifly and Masquerain are compatible, and this whole episode basically reinstates and confirms the fact that May and Drew work (cough and go well) together. Maybe this was done on purpose... We'll never know.
I just thought that was a nice touch, and GOD I FREAKING LOVE THIS COUPLE.

I loved the use of masquerain and beautifly together, and I think it was a real turning point with them realising that they could work well together despite being quite different. Like in the arcanine ep when they used squirtle's watergun and flygon's flamethrower. Its the whole opposites attract thing :p

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
I loved the use of masquerain and beautifly together, and I think it was a real turning point with them realising that they could work well together despite being quite different. Like in the arcanine ep when they used squirtle's watergun and flygon's flamethrower. Its the whole opposites attract thing :p

The whole fire/water thing is awesome, the two attacks looked amazing together!

gosh these two I want to just lay in bed all day and cry about contestshipping and how canon they are UGH

Here's a new topic!
Write a short drabble on whatever you wish!
This one seems fun! I don't think it's really a topic, but it could work. ;D
I'm gonna work on one and then edit this later with it. :)

Last edited:

Encyclopika

The Queen
Alright, let's do this. I've been having this rolling around in my head for a while, and I'd love to see what everyone thinks. I could put into full fic and come out of retirement, but w/e, let's see.

He hadn't seen her in some time. When they parted ways after Johto, there had been promises to stay in touch, to call one another, to send letters, to keep it alive, whatever it might have been then. But things changed. May had gotten so busy in Sinnoh. Those Super Contests were truly something of their own caliber, and Drew was left waiting for a word back from her for ages at a time. He waited patiently, though. He was not going to be the one to nag her for her attention or send her a letter every time he felt as though this was taking too long. No, instead he busied himself with other matters, like visiting home, practicing his appeals, and, dare he say it, giving his fans the time of day.

The women that cheered him on at every contest had started to catch his eye more and more as he grew older. He still kept up his personal mantra of never signing anything, but his nervousness in crowds melted away with each contest. As the days, months, and years rolled by, and not a word from May, she became somewhat of a phantom to him. He did not worry himself with "why". He simply fell into other things and slowly, though resistant at first, accepted dates with admirers. It became a fun thing to do, and he always argued with himself that this was his life, and it must go on, no matter how much May still kept residence in his heart.

It was never serious. He'd go on dates, but at the end of the night, he was always in his own bed, alone. This was not on purpose, however, it just always turned out that none of these girls could stack up to May. They were rarely coordinators themselves, and even when they were, they weren't very good at it, hated to talk about it with him, were too quick to assume that something more would come out of the date, or just too...not May. And that was fine, because when that letter from May finally came one day at the PokeCenter for him, there was nothing to walk out on.

Now he was sitting on a ship bound for Unova's great port of Castelia City, reading the letter over again, trying to decipher May's pitiful chicken-scratch, though her sincerest apologies and invitation to Unova were clear enough.

He had never set foot in Unova before, so this would be different, not to mention nerve-racking, at the same time. He fumbled with the letter as land came into view through his cabin's porthole. He had not known nervousness in some time, but the idea of meeting May again, after all these years of drifting apart, made him swallow hard. Perhaps this was a bad idea. Maybe it would have been better if he had not ever heard from her again so that he could keep her as a fond memory.

When the ship docked, Drew collected his things and tried to compose himself. Deep breaths and focus on other, mundane things, like the white stairs and the large old woman taking her time up them, were methods he used to keep calm. He clenched his knapsack's strap, and grabbed the bottom few buttons of his black shirt, only to find that one was now missing. He breathed an exasperated sigh - at least it was the bottom one - no one would notice.

Reaching the top deck, he inadvertantly looked over the side. There were a lot of people waiting below, and Drew's attention shifted back on board where he presented his passport to the attendant. Everything seemed surreal from this point, as he descended down the last flight of stairs onto dry land, and looked among the crowd for May's familiar face.

There she was - standing with Blaziken - how could he have missed that? She stood patiently, her blue eyes fixed on him, her hands folded in front of her. A sweet smile spread on her face, but it was unlike the one he had come to know many years ago. This one was tired, but perhaps something more that his own smile seemed to exude. Maybe it was relief? Perhaps it was sadness? Or affection?

May looked up at him, her smile widened, and she spoke in the voice from his memories. "Hi, Drew."

This is the ultimate scrap, but if you like, lemme know. :3

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
To be honest with you, Encyclopika, I liked it a lot. I think a little bit more of development after saying hi would be great too. :D
So here's mine...
"Just try to understand!", she said in a screaming, desesperate voice.

And now, the wind blew those words away. He looked at her, with big eyes. He was about to leave but hearing her like that made him turning back. A moment, maybe an hour or an eternity of silence it took for him to speak.

"I can't... Everything would change, and I couldn't live in a different way..."

He likes to love her. He likes to share secret feeling for her. But she already knew them. She already knew he likes her, so she thought he would admit it. But his face stayed the same as they looked at each other. Her stare was frightening, cold and distant. She really needed him, he could read it through her eyes.

Each seconds were harder and harder as they were looking the person they loved. May just said her feelings for him in person, and for once, Drew had anything to reply, to say that would cheer her up or tease her. He didn't know what to do, except waiting.

Then she made the first step as the sunset started to glow. She took nervously his hands. They both realized it wasn't them. The cheerful rivalry became something stronger and they could easily notice it. In a slow and gentle movement, he passed his finger on her soft and sweet skin.

"Tears aren't going to cheer you up, May. Please, don't cry..."

She looked at him like it was the last time they saw each other. Quickly, she crossed her arms around his neck and kissed him. He wanted to stop, but he couldn't. He couldn't because he was trapped. Trapped by love. This feeling that just needed to wake up finally did. But suddenly, their lips moved away.

"May..."

"I-I'm sorry... I didn't want t-to do that... I-I just wanted to..."

He put his finger on her lips. Maybe she made a mistake, maybe she made what was right, maybe she was possessed by something called love, but it wasn't to her to decide.

"I understand, now.", he said firmly but softly.

Last edited:

Encyclopika

The Queen
Papousse said:
To be honest with you, Encyclopika, I liked it a lot. I think a little bit more of development after saying hi would be great too.
Thanks, but it was more like an excerpt than a drabble...I'm no good at drabbles. lol

As for your drabble, it was pretty cute but a little too shoujo for my tastes. Also some of the language was hard to follow, but all in all, a very nice shortie. :)

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."

Ooo, my first CS drabble. XD Let's see what I can come up with.

"Why?"

Her soft words brought him back to her. He stood there emotionless as he always was.

"Why Drew?"

He loved the way she would speak his names through her lips but today was not one of those cases, in face it was more painful each time she would speak his name.

"Did all you say about me improving and respecting me as your rival were nothing but lies?"

No, of course not. He knew he was lying if he accepted those words to be true. Taking the courage to speak to her, Drew turned to face her. "May, you know why I'm leaving you with him." Drew could see May shaking her head desperately. "You've lost your touch, ever since you went to Johto to travel on your own you haven't been yourself."

He could see May shaking shaking her head again. She refused to accept his words. "May I'm doing this because I'm your friend. I care for you."

Liar. He cared for her because he liked her he would even go to the lengths of tracking a certain friend of hers to teach her how to dream once again. He could bare the pain, as long it would bring that May back to him.

"I see. Friend, of course, that makes sense." He watched her shake her hands as tears started to run down her face once more. He couldn't bare the scene no more. He had to go.

Turning his back use to be a easy task, he wouldn't even think about turning back but as they met more often, became rivals and eventually friends it became more harder to do.
When he did he felt fragile hands holding on his arms tightly as her sapphire eyes looked deeply into his own. "If I become stronger, can I come back to you?"

His face was painted with a slight pink blush as he stood in his spot speechless. Just managing a simple nod, that simple warm smile he loved to see from her crossed her face as she reached for his hand and planted a small item in his palm.

"Hold onto this until I return. I promise, I'll train harder just so I can come back to you."

Drew smiled and patted her short brown hair as he struggled to keep his emotions under control. "I know you will." His voice started to break. "I know."

As her hand slipped from his, she took a step or two back and smiled and produced a small smile before hearing her mentor calling from the other end of the road. She briefly looked back at him and waved happily before turning back to her rival; he was smiling. Seeing a small nod coming from him, she took it as her signal to leave and he watched her run down the dirt road to meet up with her other companions.

Only able to produce a simple wave he turned his back and made his own way before opening his palm to see what May had given him. He smiled warmly as it was no other but the first ribbon she won against him. Slipping the object into his pockets Drew rubbed his eyes as he looked down onto the pier.

He was looking forward to the day they would meet on the stage once again, hopefully more than rivals the next time their paths would cross.

Lol, did that make any sense? XD

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
Good job, everybody!

Here's mine, as promised. I haven't written anything in YEARS, so bear with me! :p

May fiddled with the buttons of her PokeNav. She just received the upgrade that allowed her to navigate herself through the region of Johto, and she wasted no time with fiddling with the new features that were bestowed upon her. All that could be heard was the sound of the wind blowing slightly in the forest, and several crunches of leaves and sticks that were on the forest's floor.
"Ah, so, if I keep going this way I sho-"
May cut herself off when she heard the crunching of the leaves becoming louder and more apparent. Instinctively, she turned her body and looked backwards.
Nothing was there.
"If.. if there's anyone there, s-say something! I'm armed!" she called out, instinctively reaching down to her waistband to reach for a PokeBall.
"...Don't worry, May," a voice started, "I'm not a big bad monster or anything like that. If you turned around in the first place, you would have seen that there's nothing to worry about."
That voice.
May whipped around quickly and was relieved when the owner of that voice was someone she knew oh so well.
"Drew.." she said quietly.
"May," Drew said as a small smile appeared on his lips. "I was wondering when our paths would finally meet. I knew it'd be inevitable," he pulled out his signature red rose and bestowed it upon her, "Nice to see you again."
May could not fight the blush that was starting to appear on her face. Even after this long, the oh-so-common gesture from her rival still left her flustered. "T-thanks, Drew," she managed to say, as she tried to cover her blushing cheeks with the rose.
Drew chuckled.
"How's it going with finding your own style?" he asked, standing a little bit closer to May's side.
"It's going alright, I guess," May said, uncertain. "It's.. it's harder than I expected it to be, but I'm sure it'll all work out fine!"
Drew sensed May's uncertain and wavering tone.
"May," he said as he put his hands in his pockets. Here goes nothing. "You're confused, and feel stuck. You need more confidence in yourself. You've always been uncertain and unsure of yourself, but you know.. You are even unaware of how much potential you have, and you never fail to surprise me. You never fail to amaze me, too." Drew said carefully, feeling his pulse speeding up.
"W-what?" May quipped, her tone uneven and faltering.
Drew took a deep breath and stepped closer. He took May's hand into his and squeezed it gently.
May smiled and squeezed his hand back.
---
uh, yeah. I don't know. It's been forever. xD I feel like Drew and May would interact in Johto as they did in the Rivals Forever episode. No snide remarks, no rude comments. That's why I wrote them like this. :] Sorry if Drew's too soft or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.