• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Continued Questions and Info About EV Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPBaskett

Ok so this is my full run through with EV training a Pokémon and I have some questions here. Please correct any of these methods if some of this is not correct. For the sake of speaking, I'm going to say that I have a level 1 bred 6/6 IV Adamant Shinx. From level 1, I immediately give the Shinx as many Proteins as it will allow me to give. From there, I have it hold a Power Bracer, to give it boosted Attack EVs per wild Pokémon encounter. After that it's just a matter of finding wild Pokémon that give Attack EVs per KO to level the Shinx up. I level this Pokémon all the way up to level 100 and iron out the EV count from there using berries per groups of 10.

Questions:
  • Am I right to give Shinx the Proteins from level 1 or is there something different I should be doing?

• Per wild Pokémon KO before leveling up even once, is it just 1 EV gainer per encounter that's given?

• Are EVs literally the stat number when looking at summary for Attack for example? EG, Attack=42 so it has 42 EVs for Attack?

• With Protein and Power Bracer breeding is the specific attack EV wild Pokémon encounter and defeat necessary or can I just encounter any wild Pokémon to level Shinx up and then iron it out later?

Thanks for knowledge!

Last edited:

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
Okay.

First question: You can give the proteins at any level. So level 1 is perfectly fine. Once you have given it 26, the maximum it can have, you can no longer earn attack EV’s as you will have issued the maximum 252 points allowable for a single stat.

Second question: It is dependent on the Pokemon faced. Shinx gives 1 attack EV but Luxio gives 2 attack EV’s instead.

Third question: No, currently there is no way of knowing how many EV’s a single stat has once you have begun training until it is maxed out. Pressing X while in the stat screen of the Pokemon’s summary will change to the effort value graph and show sparkles around any stat that has been maxed. The dark yellow shape will also turn blue when all 510 total Effort Value points have been assigned.

Fourth question: There are a set of 6 berries that can be used to reduce any EV’s earned to zero by using enough of them. So ironing it out at a later date is very much doable, however it takes 32 hours to fully grow the berries and high yields are never guaranteed. It is easier to train correctly from the start.

Hope this helps

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
To specify, the EV-reducing berries are Pomeg (HP), Kelpsy (Attack), Qualot (Defence), Hondew (Sp. Atk), Grepa (Sp. Def), and Tamato (Speed). Each berry removes 10 EVs from its respective stat.

RPBaskett

To specify, the EV-reducing berries are Pomeg (HP), Kelpsy (Attack), Qualot (Defence), Hondew (Sp. Atk), Grepa (Sp. Def), and Tamato (Speed). Each berry removes 10 EVs from its respective stat.

I am trying to determine how the "EVs" interact with the actual viewable numbered stats of Attack, Sp.Atk, Sp.Def, Spd, Def? If you use a berry to lower or a vitamin to increase the EV count at the point of an EV it doesn't seem to affect the actual viewable stat numbers in either direction. So, if you wanted to change Speed for example from 180 to 170 is it not possible to do that?

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
I am trying to determine how the "EVs" interact with the actual viewable numbered stats of Attack, Sp.Atk, Sp.Def, Spd, Def? If you use a berry to lower or a vitamin to increase the EV count at the point of an EV it doesn't seem to affect the actual viewable stat numbers in either direction. So, if you wanted to change Speed for example from 180 to 170 is it not possible to do that?
Assuming the pokemon is at level 100, to remove 10 stat points, you would need to remove 40 EV's. Also assuming it is a stat unaffected by nature. As this would have an effect on the precise number of EV'S to be removed.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

Basically, at level 100, 4 EV points in a stat increases the actual stat by 1. Vitamins increase EVs by 10, which translates to a 2.5 increase in that stat (which is actually just a 2 increase until you gain further EVs, because stat boosts from EVs are always rounded down and you don't get another point until you get to a multiple of 4). EV-reducing berries do the opposite and remove 10 EVs, which, at level 100, will decrease the stat by either 2 or 3 points depending on exactly how many EVs it had before you used it.

In other words, since 4 EVs = 1 stat point, in order to lower Speed from 180 to 170 you would need to remove 40 EVs (4 berries). This requires, of course, that that Pokemon actually has at least 40 EVs in that stat; if you don't, the only ways to lower it further would be to breed a Pokemon with a lower Speed IV and a nature that lowers Speed (or use a mint to gain the effects of a -Speed nature).

However, this is all at level 100. There are diminishing returns for EVs and IVs at lower levels, and the formula to calculate what your actual stats will be at lower levels is much, much more complicated. I don't know of any actual calculators for this off the top of my head, so when I need to play around with EV spreads at low levels what I actually do is use the Showdown damage calculation tool, which sort of has a stat calculator built in. You can change the Pokemon's level, IVs, and EVs and it will tell you what the visible stat will be. The damage calculator is an incredibly useful tool for competitive battling in general and if you plan on getting into it, it's definitely something that's handy to be familiar with.

RPBaskett

Ok so let's say I want to perfectly calculate my Luxray as it stands. At Level 41 my Luxray(female) is at
HP>Fantastic = 128
Attack>Best = 104 -50 \/ = 54
Defense>Best = 82
Sp.Atk>Best = 133
Sp.Def>Best = 82
Speed>Best = 100 +50< = 154
Nature>Modest
Ability>Intimidate
Held Item>Power Lens

Well it's build for Sp.Atk so I'd like to lower the Attack stat by like let's say 50 and give that 50 to Speed instead. At level 41 does that mean I can use berries to lower Attack, and vitamins to increase Speed by 50?

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
Ok so let's say I want to perfectly calculate my Luxray as it stands. At Level 41 my Luxray(female) is at
HP>Fantastic = 128
Defense>Best = 82
Sp.Atk>Best = 133
Sp.Def>Best = 82
Nature>Modest
Ability>Intimidate
Held Item>Power Lens

Well it's build for Sp.Atk so I'd like to lower the Attack stat by like let's say 50 and give that 50 to Speed instead. At level 41 does that mean I can use berries to lower Attack, and vitamins to increase Speed by 50?
Using the calculator recommended by Divine, it suggests the Luxray has maxed out stats in its special attack and speed and no effort points in its attack at all. So no, you can't remove any points from it to add to its speed stat.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
HP>Fantastic = 128
Defense>Best = 82
Sp.Atk>Best = 133
Sp.Def>Best = 82
Nature>Modest
Ability>Intimidate
Held Item>Power Lens

I guess I should explain that there's a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 252 EVs you can have in any one stat, and a maximum of 510 EVs total (although 508 is the highest number divisible by 4, so the extra 2 EVs are always wasted). Like Prince Amrod mentioned, it seems that Luxray has no EVs in Attack, so you can't move EVs that it doesn't actually have. It also already has maximum Speed EVs, so even if you took away from Sp. Atk (the only other stat it has EVs in), you couldn't add any more to Speed.

RPBaskett

Sorry about all the questions guys, but this is really helping so I appreciate you guys bigtime! Still trying to wrap my head around this stuff.

RPBaskett

We were all new to it at some point. Ask away.
Excellent! I thought of a new question. If from level 1 you use vitamins to max out two stats on the EV side, does that guarantee you that those two stats, the actual stat number, are maxed out by level 100? So for example, from level 1, fill Protein and Zinc for maxed out EVs with vitamins, that's 252 EVs per maxed stat right? For an Adamant Shinx, does that mean that by level 100 you're gonna have a maxed stat for Speed and Attack?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Excellent! I thought of a new question. If from level 1 you use vitamins to max out two stats on the EV side, does that guarantee you that those two stats, the actual stat number, are maxed out by level 100? So for example, from level 1, fill Protein and Zinc for maxed out EVs with vitamins, that's 252 EVs per maxed stat right? For an Adamant Shinx, does that mean that by level 100 you're gonna have a maxed stat for Speed and Attack?
Well, you'd want to use Protein and Carbos (Zinc is Sp. Def), but yes, if the Shinx also has perfect IVs in those stats, that would be the highest actual stat it can get not factoring in its nature (which obviously gives a 10% boost to one of its stats). At level 100 with an Adamant nature and maxed Attack and Speed EVs/IVs, it would have 372 Attack and 239 Speed (also assuming you evolve it of course, haha).

RPBaskett

Thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.