• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Controversial Opinions - READ GUIDELINES IN FIRST POST *Possible Spoilers for SM*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

Okay that's more than I remembered about the GS Ball. That really was big boo-boo on the writers' part.

But Team Plasma being BW W2 rendition is likely also subjective since it's still a depiction (sure they're more one dimensional, but I'm sure SOME fans might prefer them).

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Oh I know about the Casey name trivia. It only proves to me that 4Kids needs a little work on names or should have taken the chance of retaining Ash's name to Satoshi. I can see how it would work in the 90s, but Satoshi works better for timeless works.
"Ash" was one of the options for the name of the player character in the English version of Pokémon Red and Blue (just as "Satoshi" was one of the options for his name in the Japanese version). That's where 4Kids got Ash's name from. The name "Satoshi" may work for timeless works now, but it probably wouldn't have worked in the '90s. "Ash" is easier for American kids to remember than "Satoshi" which probably would have been horribly mispronounced, anyway.

And yes, I know Ketchum is a real surname. Though I do have to say, why did 4Kids decided to give Ash a last name to begin with? Ash would have worked fine on its own, and its not like they gave surnames to Misty and Brock. Only Gary had a surname and that's because he's the grandson of Professor Oak.
I could be wrong, but I believe 4Kids gave Ash a surname in order to match the mouth movements of the characters whenever Ash and the others said his name. "Satoshi" and "Ash Ketchum" are both three syllables.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Here's another controversial opinion. I like both the 4kids and TPCI English dubs, but I prefer TPCI except for the script writing at times and I don't really like Jessie's current dub voice either.

SinnohEevee

"Ash" was one of the options for the name of the player character in the English version of Pokémon Red and Blue (just as "Satoshi" was one of the options for his name in the Japanese version). That's where 4Kids got Ash's name from. The name "Satoshi" may work for timeless works now, but it probably wouldn't have worked in the '90s. "Ash" is easier for American kids to remember than "Satoshi" which probably would have been horribly mispronounced, anyway.

I could be wrong, but I believe 4Kids gave Ash a surname in order to match the mouth movements of the characters whenever Ash and the others said his name. "Satoshi" and "Ash Ketchum" are both three syllables.

Pokemon RB (the English version) was released in 1998 (September 28th), shortly after the anime dub started airing in the US (September 15th).

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master

Isn't it the other way around? Ash was originally going to be called Casey if Veronica Taylor is to be believed, but the names never had Casey as an option. And considering that the games in US came a few weeks after the anime show, I don't think 4Kids got if from the games. The Pokémon marketing in America wasn't gradual, it was an ad-blitz devised by Nintendo of America.

The theory falls apart when you realize that "Takeshi" is three syllables while "Brock" is one. "Kojiro" is also three syllables while "James" is one as well. Not to mention that many characters in the English simply say Ash rather than Ash Ketchum.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Pokemon RB (the English version) was released in 1998 (September 28th), shortly after the anime dub started airing in the US (September 15th).

And considering that the games in US came a few weeks after the anime show, I don't think 4Kids got if from the games. The Pokémon marketing in America wasn't gradual, it was an ad-blitz devised by Nintendo of America.

I stand corrected, then (although I would like to point out that, since the English version of the game was probably in development for awhile, it's still possible that GameFreak came up with the name first, but whatever). Regardless of who came up with the name--4Kids or GameFreak--my point still stands that "Ash" was (and is) much easier for American kids to remember than "Satoshi." "Satoshi" may seem timeless now, but it probably didn't back in 1998. And "Ash Ketchum" is the kind of memorable name that would stand out to kids.

DatsRight

I find it likely 4Kids were given some resources and info from Nintendo of America's translation group to work with when making the dub, especially since the English game was pretty near completion by that time. After all they had to have gotten all the other English names accurately and I doubt the games rotated the translation utterly around what their tie in show called them.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
XY's continuity is garbage but people kinda overrate SM's continuity because its not as bad as XY's, i cant recally getting any refrences past the first episode so...

Soniman

Break the Limit
Every time Ash recognizes a Pokémon he has seen in a previous region, doesn't that count as continuity?

every saga has fantastic continuity with that logic then.

Thats such barebones evidence that it shouldnt even be counted as something substantial

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
What about Delia existing?

Also even if it doesn't stretch outside SM saga, I do like the reoccurring characters such as Hoshi, the reporter and others like hey, these characters still exist and aren't only here to pad an episode/be placeholders and be forgotten about.

Soniman

Break the Limit
What about Delia existing?

again, something every saga has.

Im just wondering where the praise is comming from, so far its continuity is stronger then the absolute worse case but ill start caring when actual specific old events/characters/pokemon get a actual appearence.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
again, something every saga has.

Im just wondering where the praise is comming from, so far its continuity is stronger then the absolute worse case but ill start caring when actual specific old events/characters/pokemon get a actual appearence.
Wobuffet coming back. Ash retaining his competence level. Hitting Hariyama in the legs like Brawly.

Status
Not open for further replies.