• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Controversial Opinions - READ GUIDELINES IN FIRST POST *Possible Spoilers for SM*

Status
Not open for further replies.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Personally I think that its better to act like Money doesn't exist in the anime universe, whether Ash's family is rich or poor will never be brought up and how Ash and his companions pay for everything they do on their journey will also never even be brought up, Pokemon is not that kinda show and problems like that doesn't matter to the shows writers.

Money really only matters with TRio, and we haven't seen their get alms schemes since DP. Frankly, that's for the better because it avoids the aforementioned problems.

DatsRight

Money really only matters with TRio, and we haven't seen their get alms schemes since DP. Frankly, that's for the better because it avoids the aforementioned problems.

Weren't they trying to make money through odd jobs during the XY summer camp arc, and making cakes at the start of SM?

U.N. Owen

Weren't they trying to make money through odd jobs during the XY summer camp arc, and making cakes at the start of SM?

They were? Stupid poor quality fansubs.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
They were also selling wigs in SM023.

U.N. Owen

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Kukui obviously gets paid handsomely as a researcher

Ash has also sponged off the goodwill of others for twenty years, what's another three?

U.N. Owen

Ash has also sponged off the goodwill of others for twenty years, what's another three?

Then again, Brock, Cilan, and Clemont are a Gym Leaders. People would give free stuff to XY Ash at the drop of a hat XD They probably get paid or something.

SinnohEevee

We never or barely see Ash using medicine on his Pokémon.

Epicocity

Kukui obviously gets paid handsomely as a researcher

I always felt that Ash got paid quite handsomely for his participation in Leagues; the higher you place, the more money you make. And since he's been consistently making at least Top 8...I'd imagine he gets quite the amount.

U.N. Owen

I found it hilarious that the medicine in Battling at Full Volume became a miracle drug because Ash had so much willpower. Sure, it's still a terrible cop-out, but it does bring into question if all medicine in this universe worked this way.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
I found it hilarious that the medicine in Battling at Full Volume became a miracle drug because Ash had so much willpower. Sure, it's still a terrible cop-out, but it does bring into question if all medicine in this universe worked this way.

i'd assume so since most potions in the show pretty much instantly heal pokemon when they're sprayed. i guess it's the same for humans.

U.N. Owen

i'd assume so since most potions in the show pretty much instantly heal pokemon when they're sprayed. i guess it's the same for humans.

This assumption falls flat when Clemont states that a person that was not Ash would need a day to heal.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Should have just let Ash have an off day in XYZ022 and let the gang resolve it themselves like they did in SM022 imo

Like, Serena was holding her own in battle there, you're telling me she couldn't have applied that with Braixen/Sylveon/Pancham?

Oh that's not controversial. Well Ash should have been sick so as to miss the chance to get his 8th gym badge I guess.

Then again...Serena battling and winning? Maybe controversial? Whatever, Ash stole her thunder smh

SinnohEevee

I think Serena should have finished the Battle and won.

DatsRight

Should have just let Ash have an off day in XYZ022 and let the gang resolve it themselves like they did in SM022 imo

Like, Serena was holding her own in battle there, you're telling me she couldn't have applied that with Braixen/Sylveon/Pancham?

Oh that's not controversial. Well Ash should have been sick so as to miss the chance to get his 8th gym badge I guess.

Then again...Serena battling and winning? Maybe controversial? Whatever, Ash stole her thunder smh

Really they were the exact same episode number? The irony.

Serena could only win dumbed down battles. That was the problem. They were always calling off any situation she could win and it looked like an actual accomplishment. It was like the writers didn't know how to write her with brain cells against a tough situation so kept rage quitting, "Dodge?", "Use that attack again?", "Oh screw this, get in TR", "And for them?" "Oh.....Dodge?", "Use that attack again?" "Oh screw this, get in Ash."

Watching Serena's 'competence boost' was like watching the baby sister your parents keep asking you to deliberately lose against so she can have her moment......And then she becomes a smug little jerk and keeps calling everything "shallow and pedantic." :p

Seriously, how does money only matter when TRio is involved?

Because they're freaking Team Rocket. They always get cruel reality while their foes live in plot amoured luxury.

I do remember many a COTD having failing businesses the twerps had to help out with though.

Last edited:
Serena should've just evolved that friggin Braixen tbh. Delphox may not be popular but it sure is fabulous and beautiful.

Also Pancham could've done good evolving and getting an arc on how it deals with performances after losing its original "cute" appearance. Not only would it give the poor thing at least an ounce of development, but it would mean that Serena actually has some decent battlers on her team and could fight for herself.

DatsRight

I'd have been fine with Braixen as is if she had gotten some tough battles and been made to use that cool 'stick fu' battle style she used in her last battle. That would have been interesting. Why did they wait till the final episode dammit????

Epicocity

Serena should've just evolved that friggin Braixen tbh. Delphox may not be popular but it sure is fabulous and beautiful.

Also Pancham could've done good evolving and getting an arc on how it deals with performances after losing its original "cute" appearance. Not only would it give the poor thing at least an ounce of development, but it would mean that Serena actually has some decent battlers on her team and could fight for herself.

I find Delphox to be ugly, and it would have been an even closer thing to Aria; I appreciated that it showed their paths diverging in that sense of not evolving Braixen.

Likewise, I see no value in a Pancham evolution (which would have been impossible anyway given she doesn't have a Dark type) or that kind of arc, personally.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I always felt that Ash got paid quite handsomely for his participation in Leagues; the higher you place, the more money you make. And since he's been consistently making at least Top 8...I'd imagine he gets quite the amount.
Yeah that would make sense; he's probably doing well financially.

That was horrible and very bad writing imo. They should have let Serena take care of everything instead of having Ash steal her thunder yet again, but I guess that's the story of Serena in XY.

DatsRight

I still don't really get why they wanted to keep calling off all of Serena's battles or even just tough ones against Team Rocket. Her non-battle specialty never really came into play, since they never let her lose or get into situations she was in over her head. It felt like they still wanted to make her look strong but were intentionally refusing to put substance to it, like some sort of 'What can we get away with?' dare the writers were having. Not that apparently.

It's telling that even through winning all the time, she got less good displays than Clemont and Team Rocket's Pokemon, even in some cases they lost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.