• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Controversial Opinions - READ GUIDELINES IN FIRST POST *Possible Spoilers for SM*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

Wise words tbh.

Idk if this is "unpopular" per se, but I didn't mind the Aipom/Buizel trade. I know it was treated like the anime equivalent of WW2 by fans back during DP when it happened, but I think most people no longer care about it?

I think it's because Aipom was the only AG Pokemon to actually stick with Ash through to DP besides Pikachu, which made her feel like she was going to be significant, like the good guy version of Wobbuffet I suppose, the second possibly permanent sidekick Pokemon of the main cast. Then she got traded to Dawn and released altogether, making her just another arc restricted Pokemon and so now mostly just a memorable brief formula breaker.

Last edited:

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
Wise words tbh.

Idk if this is "controversial" per se, but I didn't mind the Aipom/Buizel trade. I know it was treated like the anime equivalent of WW2 by fans back during DP when it happened, but I think most people no longer care about it?

i didn't really mind it back then, either. i was surprised ash wasn't the one who caught buizel when it debuted due to its fierce, battle-loving personality. plus when they revealed the new gen 4 evolutions, i never thought ambipom suited him. but that's just me, do you remember why the trade was received so negatively back then?

Janovy

Banned
I thought the point of this thread is to express your opinion without worrying of being bashed at if someone doesn't like what you have to say. If you're easily triggered by someone else not having the same opinion as yours, then you shouldn't be a part of this thread at all.
CONTROVERSIAL opinions thread.

As in, opinions that cause a lot of discussion.and disagreement

I'm sorry you perceive someone disagreeing with you as bashing lol.

Spyro39

CONTROVERSIAL opinions thread.

As in, opinions that cause a lot of discussion.and disagreement

I'm sorry you perceive someone disagreeing with you as bashing lol.

Well we don't call this thread controversial opinions for nothing, so we're bound to engage in some heated discussions that could potentially escalate into clashing with each other. I can tell the difference between bashing and respectfully disagreeing for having a different opinion, alright?

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Well we don't call this thread controversial opinions for nothing, so we're bound to engage in some heated discussions that could potentially escalate into clashing with each other. I can tell the difference between bashing and respectfully disagreeing for having a different opinion, alright?
Can you? Because you seem to imply I am bashing people who disagree with me, which kinda tells me you can't tell the difference.

Spyro39

Can you? Because you seem to imply I am bashing people who disagree with me, which kinda tells me you can't tell the difference.

I'm sorry if I made you think that way, but honestly I'm not implying that about you. You're just doing what everyone else is doing here: expressing and discussing your opinions. My last two replies to your posts wasn't about you. It was to this thread in general, if that was what you were perceiving.

Last edited:

ZilverLox

Banned
Best Wishes had pacing issues in that some parts went by way too fast, i.e. the time between Gyms like Striaton and Nacrene. Rotation also didn't live up to the expectations back then. :(

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Best Wishes had pacing issues in that some parts went by way too fast, i.e. the time between Gyms like Striaton and Nacrene. Rotation also didn't live up to the expectations back then. :(

Yeah and then we got DA at the tail end which seemed to drag on for forever for me. I also wish that rotation was handled better and I would have liked to see more of Snivy :)

Janovy

Banned
I agree with this.

Though I give props to BW for being the first series to actually experiment with rotation.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I loved how Emolga used Volt Switch and how she eventually couldn't use it to her advantage anymore.

Spyro39

I have a question for you guys. Do you prefer Ash catching many Pokemon as possible, therefore staying true to the catchphrase "gotta catch them all" but having each of them lack focus and character development? Or do you prefer Ash catching fewer Pokemon but each of them having more focus and character development?

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I have a question for you guys. Do you prefer Ash catching many Pokemon as possible, therefore staying true to the catchphrase "gotta catch them all" but having each of them lack focus and character development? Or do you prefer Ash catching fewer Pokemon but each of them having more focus and character development?

Quality > Quantity in every case.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

The latter. I prefer Ash catch fewer Pokémon, and each Pokémon gets more focus and character development, than Ash catch tons of Pokémon at the expense of their focus and character development. I like to see moments of Ash bonding with his Pokémon, or moments of the Pokémon interacting with each other, and I don't know if we would get as much of that if Ash caught tons of Pokémon and rotated them in and out of his party.

Janovy

Banned
On the topic of catching fewer Pokemon: less doesn't always equal good.

XY series failed in giving adequate screentime/focus to each of Ash's Pokemon, Noivern being the worst offender.

Goodra was also sloppily handled. It got like six straight episodes of focus and was then banished until the League where it managed to draw with a Slurpuff and lose to a Bisharp.

Satoshi doesn't need to "catch em all" just because it was first in his English First Name, yeah, at the beginning he wanted to catch them, but I guess, it's mostly interesting when he try to have a bond with a new Pokemon and after ask to the pokemon if it want to go with him. The best example was in XY, mostly all his Pokemon he caught wanted to follow him. I don't really remember for DP, but I guess it was a bit the same... But i need to rewatch this series lol

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Quality over quantity any day. I want to care about the pokemon as characters rather than mindless battle drones.

Xuxuba

On the topic of catching fewer Pokemon: less doesn't always equal good.

XY series failed in giving adequate screentime/focus to each of Ash's Pokemon, Noivern being the worst offender.

Goodra was also sloppily handled. It got like six straight episodes of focus and was then banished until the League where it managed to draw with a Slurpuff and lose to a Bisharp.

Noivern is the worst one, but even then it wasn't that bad. They all got their own focused episodes aside from the catching/evolution episodes which is more than we can say for a lot of Ash's pokemon.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I see statements like this often now, but I remember people blowing fuses when Ash had just 5 Pokemon on his XY&Z team (until Goodra came back).

I think people were more worried over Ash pulling a Cameron rather than the five pokemon alone.

DatsRight

Noivern is the worst one, but even then it wasn't that bad. They all got their own focused episodes aside from the catching/evolution episodes which is more than we can say for a lot of Ash's pokemon.

The problem with Noivern was that it was rarely shown training or improving as Noibat. It remained fairly novice and pretty much got it's evolution from "the power of really, really wanting it". After one unbelievable bout where he trounced both a Zapdos and TR without so much as a sweat, it's lack of training started to show.

I notice around the time of the league and Flare arc, the lack of proper development and growth from certain characters like Noivern, Goodra and Serena's team started to come into play (all of which had been pretty plot armoured and invincible up until this point). It's like at that point the writers acknowledged they hadn't really put much time into genuinely improving their skills so couldn't realistically make them look strong during the big arcs.

Tying into Noivern, I don't get why so many fans are insistent over all important Pokemon evolving in the anime and that one that doesn't hasn't been utilised fully (what BW's team doesn't get flak for in terms of rotation, it gets for so few of them evolving). Evolutions seem superficial and cheap in cases like this anyway, it was hardly the fruit of Ash and Noibat's hard work and training. I'd rather have a team of well trained pre-evolutions than go with the whole "Why haven't they evolved yet?" bandwagon, especially since most of the Pokemon tend to be more fun as characters before they evolve. I mean, we've had a first stage evolution as Ash's top-tier since the anime started, and he's produced some of the best battles.

Just evolve the ones where it can play into their actual characterisation and style in a more developed way than just 'stronger and more badass looking' (eg. Braixen and Gourgeist to become more anthropomorphic and teen-girl like to fit Serena and Jessie respectively, Goodra to fit his 'all grown up now' return to the wetlands).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.