• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Controversial Opinions - READ GUIDELINES IN FIRST POST *Possible Spoilers for SM*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyro39

Tbh I wouldn't have minded if his name had been kept as Satoshi. I mean, Iris and Serena kept their Japanese names after all.

The thing is though, Iris and Serena (and Lillie) aren't actually Japanese names, Satoshi is. In fact, their names are more English. This could be the reason why their names were kept for the English localization of both the games and anime.

Janovy

Banned
Wobuffet coming back. Ash retaining his competence level. Hitting Hariyama in the legs like Brawly.
Don't forget that Delia appeared TWICE in this series, both times in Alola.

In XY she just stayed in Kanto.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
*insert random XY vs SM comment here because i'm original*

controversial opinion (if this has even been brought up at all): instead of staying as team rocket, i think it would've been cool for jessie, james, and meowth to join each region's evil team after the previous one is defeated, while at the same time retaining their hilarity and their goal to catch pikachu.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
*insert random XY vs SM comment here because i'm original*

controversial opinion (if this has even been brought up at all): instead of staying as team rocket, i think it would've been cool for jessie, james, and meowth to join each region's evil team after the previous one is defeated, while at the same time retaining their hilarity and their goal to catch pikachu.

I doubt this would work tbh. Each team has a different goal so if the TRio was shoehorned in every villainous team their presence would feel more forced than it is now. Also their goal to catch Pikachu is connected with Team Rocket's plans for world domination by seeking strong Pokemon. If you took the organization away then there is no point for them to go after Pikachu.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
I doubt this would work tbh. Each team has a different goal so if the TRio was shoehorned in every villainous team their presence would feel more forced than it is now. Also their goal to catch Pikachu is connected with Team Rocket's plans for world domination by seeking strong Pokemon. If you took the organization away then there is no point for them to go after Pikachu.

maybe it does feel a little forced. i just thought it would add a little more variety to their schemes instead of the usual *recite motto*, *try to catch pikachu*, *fail*, *blast off*.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
maybe it does feel a little forced. i just thought it would add a little more variety to their schemes instead of the usual *recite motto*, *try to catch pikachu*, *fail*, *blast off*.

Well, this could work with different characters in every villainous team by replacing the TRio after Johto ended. But it's too late for that now.

Controversial Opinion: I liked how Team Rocket was more active as an organization during the BW series and I think it would have been good to have some arcs based on TR's serious plans from time to time.

DatsRight

I do agree I'd like to see more times the actual organisation has a role in the series. At the very least I would have liked a big Giovanni arc like Operation Tempest to perk up every once in a while, let's say once per series he enters with a plan to take over the region. It would also give the trio more involvement since besides episodic Pikachu stealing plots they could be helping set up a big long term plan for the boss in the respective region.

I don't think them switching organisations would work though. Part of the character is how much pride they take in being part of Team Rocket and their devotion to Boss Giovanni.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Now here's my general opinion in terms of outfits:

OS: I like this one, but you can tell how dated the art is with the feet being a bit stubbier than I'd like.
AG: The design isn't the problem, but the excess of blue is. If we had added a bit more color, then I'd like it better.
DP: I really don't have much of a problem with this other than his shoes.
BW: I don't really have a problem with this one. The clothes are nice and loose, making him at least look his age.
XY: Not really a fan of tight clothing.
SM: Lazy. All they did was invert the colors of Sun and change the hat. It's not bad by any means, but it is very much not innovative.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I have a problem with his DP design. I can't atand that collar of his instead of it being a hood (OS is fine aside from it being outdated). I also don't like the black & yellow combo shirt thing he has going on. It makes him look a bit like a bumblebee and nothing really matches aside from his gloves, hat, and shoes. Change the shirt thing and lose the collar than he looks fine.

I have a problem with his DP design. I can't atand that collar of his instead of it being a hood (OS is fine aside from it being outdated). I also don't like the black & yellow combo shirt thing he has going on. It makes him look a bit like a bumblebee and nothing really matches aside from his gloves, hat, and shoes. Change the shirt thing and lose the collar than he looks fine.

Not as Bumblebee as Toma from Amnesia

I personally don't really have beef with any of Ash's designs. Each and every one of them is just really generic and meh to me.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i don't particularly dislike nor really care about any of ash's outfits; each one seems to suit the region/series well. although if i were to pick a favorite, it would probably be the classic OS one.

and i guess since DP, his outfits are supposed to somewhat resemble the male PC from the games (the SM one being the most obvious)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I always found it odd how Ash's AG design had a hoodie given how warm Hoenn was supposed to be. I'm surprised that he didn't get heat stroke.

At least his AG outfit actually looked good, unlike his Original Series "found-at-the-bargain-bin-at-Goodwill" clothes.

satopi

At least his AG outfit actually looked good, unlike his Original Series "found-at-the-bargain-bin-at-Goodwill" clothes.
He can't help that his family is poor. Delia has always made Ash's clothes, nothing wrong with that.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I like XY&Z (the song), but it was massively overused as an insert theme. For that reason, I actually prefer some of the dubbed Battles where it would've played in the original. And I don't hate the dub music, either.

Last edited:

dp045

Don't forget that Delia appeared TWICE in this series, both times in Alola.

In XY she just stayed in Kanto.

Yes, that makes the SM anime the BEST SEASON of all pokémon.
****, as if Delia's cameos had contributed something to the plot and that of "continuity" is not a point in favor of anything.

Well, anyway the SM anime is still bad and like with DB Super fans (or better said, fans of Akira Toriyama) will never understand that.
Although the truth in each generation of the anime compared the current season with its predecessor to highlight the successes and mistakes they had, at the moment in SM the truth does not have much to say or to hope but is fine: it is a simple saga for the Children can enjoy, not recommended or anything remarkable and is still bad anime, but at least not something pretentious.

Psychotic

NotLikeThis
He can't help that his family is poor. Delia has always made Ash's clothes, nothing wrong with that.

Do we actually know they are poor? I don't think I've ever heard Ash or Delia mention being impoverished , we just assume they are because Delia is ostensibly a single mother.

Mia Blaze

I'mma gonna Deku in the face, Kacchan
Do we actually know they are poor? I don't think I've ever heard Ash or Delia mention being impoverished , we just assume they are because Delia is ostensibly a single mother.

Nah, Delia's secretly a millionaire from being like the mum in the Johto games from taking money out of her son's battling account, which is in the billions for all those battles.

Being a single mother is hard, especially since that means you're the only one who brings in the dough. If the anime novelisation is anything to be believed, she runs a restaurant/hotel when not on screen unless childcare benefits exist in the Kanto region... (As does Child Support)

satopi

Delia is a single mother, they live in a rural small town where we can assume the community watches over the kids, sure Ash has a luxury of things like a tv and bed in his room and a few knickknacks but compared to Gary where he has a car, hire a group of fangirls, wear nice clothes, and his house is probably bigger than their small one story house with a garden. I mean they may not be dirt poor but maybe the same financial situation as the people around them (aside from the Oaks).

Everything12

Personally I think that its better to act like Money doesn't exist in the anime universe, whether Ash's family is rich or poor will never be brought up and how Ash and his companions pay for everything they do on their journey will also never even be brought up, Pokemon is not that kinda show and problems like that doesn't matter to the shows writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.