• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Controversial Opinions - READ GUIDELINES IN FIRST POST *Possible Spoilers for SM*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyro39

I'm not a fan of Noivern's dub voice. He sounds like he is going throw up every time he speaks. Why did they remove his Japanese voice when it was fine being kept in the Zapdos episode?

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I'm not a fan of Noivern's dub voice. He sounds like he is going throw up every time he speaks. Why did they remove his Japanese voice when it was fine being kept in the Zapdos episode?

Lol did they really do that? I don't care for the English dub since I'm not coming from an English-speaking country but this is weird.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Lol did they really do that? I don't care for the English dub since I'm not coming from an English-speaking country but this is weird.

Yes, they did eventually give Noivern a new voice in the dub. I think Marc Thompson did a good job in that role. Kenta Miyake's performance would've been better if it didn't sound so stock.

Out of curiosity, what language is Pokemon dubbed in where you're from?

Last edited:

desdar300

You have to look at a character's design and being before you call out their voice.
Greninja as his name suggest is a "Ninja" and they're typically portrayed as having deep and gravelly voices ( Just look at any number of Ninja characters that you see in Japanese media).
Greninja's Japanese voice symbolizes this along with having the frog quirk to boot,
There's nothing unfitting about it.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Also when your voice has croaked, you lose a few octaves. I should say "Kou-ga" when I lose my voice... I'll sound exactly like Gekkouga. :p:p:p

Ryu Taylor

It's a cartoon ffs. And doesn't he do that in the dub as well?

No, he doesn't. He does still hit on girls (because the dub can't very well remove such a big part of his character), but in generally more tasteful terms.

You have to look at a character's design and being before you call out their voice.
Greninja as his name suggest is a "Ninja" and they're typically portrayed as having deep and gravelly voices ( Just look at any number of Ninja characters that you see in Japanese media).
Greninja's Japanese voice symbolizes this along with having the frog quirk to boot,
There's nothing unfitting about it.

JP Greninja sounds all human, no animal (and for that matter, so do his French and German voices). EN Greninja sounds part human, part animal. That's what makes me say it fits better.

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
The Johto League kicks the Hoenn League's butt in terms of aggregate battle quality (controversial since most people look at the HL favorably in PAD).

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Less pokemon doesn't mean more development. It just means the more marketable pokemon gets more limelight as usual.

Ryu Taylor

Since the "In Appreciation of the Current Dub Composer" thread got closed, I'll just migrate all my posts on it to here, because I still have lots of compliments to give to it later on down the line:

"Though lots of online places know this about me already, I consider Ed Goldfarb to be the best composer the Pokemon TV series has ever had, bar none (plus, I'm also the guy who wrote a review of the XY/XYZ dub soundtrack). Obviously I'm not his only fan, so I figured it would be nice to have a place here to discuss what makes his music so great. For me, it's mainly the character themes in their various forms, the emotional themes, the opening songs, and the movies' ending themes."

"An adventurous overture for XY and a daring surf theme for SM. I agree; both are great. Though personally, I do like his XY theme a bit better."

"Yet for such a small group, I think they did great. I'll admit better work was put into the movie endings, though."

"I've seen JASRAC be proposed as a factor for why dub music is a thing. Plus, I've heard some rather unpleasant stories from Japanese people I follow on Twitter about JASRAC in general. They can be tough to work with, so some dubbing companies either can't afford the prices they ask for use of certain shows' soundtracks, or don't feel like going through such unnecessarily complicated negotiations. Of course, this is just a theory.

Anyway, as things are now, I'm happy with it, and so are more people than we know of.

To add to my thoughts on Ash's XY theme, my favorite version of it was the one used in the saga's final scene. Said track is also the one I consider his current magnum opus."

"Be that as it may, the dub music is better than the Japanese music in my eyes. It always has been. The Japanese music can definitely be good (in fact, the only time I'd ever say it was truly bad was the XY saga and its corresponding movies), but it never caught up to the dub music in terms of quality.

Frankly, I don't care about what in the business causes dub music to be made. I'm just happy that, whatever the reason (and I've heard so many that I really don't know which one of them to believe, and now I no longer care), the West received a brand-new soundtrack that is in so many ways (at least to me) superior to the original one.

By the way, the SM saga's dub soundtrack is continuing to be amazing. So far, my favorite from that saga was the piece that went over Litten's visit to Stoutland."

"Fair enough. I should've explained what JASRAC is (to those who don't know, they're a music licensing group; think of them as Japan's equivalent of America's RIAA). There is more to the business than I think anybody will ever know unless they're employed in it. Regardless of how it goes, at least Korea, China, and maybe some other Eastern countries preserve the original music, so I think fans of the JP music can be happy that at least one half of the Earth gets the JP music just as how the other half gets the English music. In fact, it's for that reason I sometimes refer to the dub music as the "Western soundtrack".

To add another piece I liked: the original piece that went over the kiss scene. That was magical. To be honest, one dub episode I'm really anticipating is SM021. Emotional themes have always been one of Mr. Goldfarb's biggest fortes (no pun intended)."

"Yes, Shinji Miyazaki is the JP version's main composer (and no, he's not related to Hayao Miyazaki). Occasionally, that version gets some other composers (a few Pikachu shorts were composed by other people, for example, as was one of the Victini movies). The JP music tends to get released in buyable form, which is a treat I wish the dub music would get (at least the dub soundtracks of the first two movies got released, though). I'd totally go Phillip Fry at any store that sells the dub's music.

As for why I in particular think the dub music is better, it's tough to explain. I just feel like it fits with the show's events better and does a better job setting moods. Plus, I also feel like there's more rhyme and reason to each cue's use (including the dub's own stock cues). But that's just me. "

"Done and done.

Now that you bring up the Western compositional style, perhaps that's a factor for me, too. Of course, the East's method is good, too; certainly not disrespecting it."

"I don't recall hearing that theme for any other occasion, so I guess I can call it the dub's Pokemon Center theme. Either that or Nurse Joy's."

"I'm sure there is, but you'll have to look for it yourself."

"I'm comfortable letting all kinds of people know that I think dub music still has a place in the world. Plus, no matter what anyone thinks, TPCi already considers music replacement okay, and their minds are not changing. And I for one don't want them to.

Also, if people enjoy the dub music, then they have the right to do not just that, but also to express how much they enjoy it. Same goes for people who enjoy the original Japanese music. I think the Japanese music is overhyped, easily excitable, and treats everything like a worst-case scenario, but I'm not ordering anyone else to think of it so lowly, no matter how much I stress those problems I have with said soundtrack. So I will most definitely not keep my appreciation of the dub soundtrack (or any dub soundtrack I like) to myself, and if other fans of the dub music want to express their appreciation of the dub music, then they should be allowed to do that, too. Nobody's stopping anyone from hating on either soundtrack, anyway.

I will admit that in the past, I've accidentally made it sound like I enjoyed the dub music only out of spite of the original soundtrack, but that was never the case. I like the dub soundtrack because it's just really good music, plain and simple.

Now then, since the SM dub premiered in the US today, now's a good time to bring up how much I enjoyed that techno-sounding theme that was given to Rotomdex (it starts just before Ash says "What's that?" to the dex he's holding, and ends just as Rotomdex finishes saying "User registration complete")."

"Themes from the new dub episode (as of this post, "To Top a Totem") I like the most: Hala's theme (great mix of Hawaiian and islander tribal motifs), Tapu Koko's theme (very beautifully mysterious), the theme right before the maintained G7 Battle theme (I swear, they segue into Japanese tracks so seamlessly; and just to get this out of the way, yes, said maintained JP track was appropriately used), the battle theme right after said retained theme (gotta say, the stock SM dub battle themes are outshining lots of the stock XY battle themes, which themselves were fine), and the music playing when Totem Gumshoos and his Yungoos crew chased out the infestation (mainly its triumphant finish). It's all coming along great."

It was good meeting fellow fans of the dub's music through that thread, by the way. Our right to like it won't be interfered with.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
The dub music isn't THAT bad, the idea of character themes and such is very nice. The thing that worries me is when they change so much the personality of some scenes. For example, the Complete Zygarde battle against the "megalith": in the original version the soundtrack was a amazing rendition of BW(2) title theme, giving it a epic and victorious feel. However in the dub this was replaced with a completely different music.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Less pokemon doesn't mean more development. It just means the more marketable pokemon gets more limelight as usual.

This. That was the case in XY&Z especially seeing as Greninja received an unfair amount of attention while everyone minus Pikachu got shafted.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
This. That was the case in XY&Z especially seeing as Greninja received an unfair amount of attention while everyone minus Pikachu got shafted.
Unfortunately most "aces" of Ash's team have the same problem. It was the same with Infernape, Charizard and even Sceptile
But of course, Greninja was the worst case...

DatsRight

The dub music isn't THAT bad, the idea of character themes and such is very nice. The thing that worries me is when they change so much the personality of some scenes. For example, the Complete Zygarde battle against the "megalith": in the original version the soundtrack was a amazing rendition of BW(2) title theme, giving it a epic and victorious feel. However in the dub this was replaced with a completely different music.

This. No matter how good you make a track, it's going to be treated as a second rate replacement if it is used in place of stuff that truly represents the franchise (though there are instances in both versions where the music doesn't really match).

I think this is why people were more forgiving towards 4Kids, since while they did have replacement music, they tended to keep most of the Pokemon themes from the games series, stuff that screams Pokemon and truly makes the feel of it being a cartoon of the franchise, while the current TPCI if lucky keeps about four or five signature tracks per series.

I mean, imagine not hearing Burning Battlefield at least once in a battle in the dub.

Last edited:

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Unfortunately most "aces" of Ash's team have the same problem. It was the same with Infernape, Charizard and even Sceptile

Sceptile wasn't too bad IMO. At least Ash's Swellow got to shine even with Sceptile around.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

Sceptile?! Hardly.... he didn't even evolve until they were over at the Battle Frontier and were almost done with it too.
It is not Sceptile's fault that Torkoal and Glalie were abandoned at the lab in favor of Phanpy and freeing up a slot for Aipom.

Greninja is definitely the worst case though, the entire Kalos League was a Greninja and Pikachu show.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Greninja is definitely the worst case though, the entire Kalos League was a Greninja and Pikachu show.
I did like Greninja quite a bit at the time, but I have to agree. What's even worse, is that it has become the official #1 weedwacker of the Kalos region.

Psychotic

NotLikeThis

Was Greninja really the worst? Infernape got an obscene amount of attention at the expense of pretty much everyone but especially Buizel/Torterra. Paul vs Ash was effectively the Infernape show.

Can't really blame the writers for this though, good development takes time to write so someone has to get screwed.

Epicocity

Was Greninja really the worst? Infernape got an obscene amount of attention at the expense of pretty much everyone but especially Buizel/Torterra. Paul vs Ash was effectively the Infernape show.

Can't really blame the writers for this though, good development takes time to write so someone has to get screwed.

Shh...you can't suggest anything other than that XY is the worst series in every way.

Yeah, to me Infernape hogged the most screentime and then Charizard, since both really took away from their respective regional teams. I mean, they're understandable, at least in Infernape's case, but taking out at least 2 Pokemon per gym battle from Fantina on, usually the ace, really shafts the others. Charizard, meanwhile, started to take from the Johto team, but that's neither here nor there. Really don't see how Greninja hogged things when Talonflame was shoved in our faces every gym battle and everyone but Noivern got at least one gym victory, if not multiple, while Greninja didn't start taking up the screen until Olympia (and really not until after).

Status
Not open for further replies.