• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Controversial Opinions - READ GUIDELINES IN FIRST POST *Possible Spoilers for SM*

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterTobias

Why else would they act as if Iris calling Ash a kid affected them personally? :/

Why then do you act as if people saying anything bad about Iris affected you personally?:/
Is it one of those new theories of yours on why people dislike Iris now?Please do tell me i have not heard of this new one.

VoltTacklingPika

If you're going to focus on Ash and Pikachu only, it has to have some kind of conflict. If it's just them having a fun time, of course it would feel boring to some. The question is: What kind of conflict could they go through right now? They've already done the attempt release episode, and the amnesia-turn evil episode.

I don't quite agree with this. Conflict is important but if the aim is to show the closeness between Ash and Pikachu then showing them having a good time with each other is a perfectly acceptable way to go about it. Not everything has to be a "our bond is so strong it can withstand anything" type story where something contrived forces conflict.

In a wider context, SM20 being a warm, laid back and very colourful episode contrasted excellently with SM21's somberness and dulled colours. One episode reaffirms the closeness between Ash and Pikachu and the unbreakable bond they have, the next shows a strong bond being broken apart by death. Considering it was an hour special it worked out very nicely.

DatsRight

Ash and Pikachu between them have never really had a 'friends breakup/argument' episode since the very first one have they? Though in fairness besides that, Ash has had conflicts or instigated dilemmas based on his vices in SM, while Pikachu has always had the Pikachu shorts to show his own star power. Between them they are maybe not quite rounded, but individually they demonstrate character ability.

I do find it interesting how SM plays more and more off the fact Ash and Pikachu are almost the same character in different species, being ever eager, agile, spacey and curious and a bit of a doormat due to how hopelessly altruistic they are, likely to play on the whole Z Move bond thing. The episode Lillie took Pikachu home, he practically did all the same stuff Ash did last time he was around.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
Ash would be talking to himself. Pikachu can't talk.

Heh, you sure about that?

Why then do you act as if people saying anything bad about Iris affected you personally?:/
Is it one of those new theories of yours on why people dislike Iris now?Please do tell me i have not heard of this new one.
This was a good laugh.

It only got really terrible in XY, otherwise I feel like the fandom was pretty tame about this during D&P and BW?
That's quite some revisionst history there, BW's rep for how it stirred up the Ash fan community was legendary and it still gets brought up to this day

Last edited:

Spyro39

You'd actually be surprised to know how many people took Iris calling Ash a kid very seriously as if it was personal to them, with some of them despising her solely on this rather than her character. I've seen YouTube comments calling Iris a bully or a b**** over something so stupid like this.

You'd actually be surprised to know how many people took Iris calling Ash a kid very seriously as if it was personal to them, with some of them despising her solely on this rather than her character. I've seen YouTube comments calling Iris a bully or a b**** over something so stupid like this.

Quite often the same people completely gloss over Misty flat out slapping Ash in ep1. Pretty hypocritical to be honest.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It's a very cynical way to look at the series, but I believe Ash has companions because the writers know that deep down, Ash cannot hold a show at all. He is always defined by his future and not by what he is in the present.

Well, you're not wrong. I've seen Ash fans claim that Ash's journey is what matters the most, but I doubt even they could have tolerated watching 900 episodes of him traveling alone.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Quite often the same people completely gloss over Misty flat out slapping Ash in ep1. Pretty hypocritical to be honest.

It's not hypocritical, it's sense of good taste. Misty was a well established character, Iris was NOT. Iris was a hypocrite, bully, and unlikeable as hell

lol

Well, you're not wrong. I've seen Ash fans claim that Ash's journey is what matters the most, but I doubt even they could have tolerated watching 900 episodes of him traveling alone.

If it was AG-DP or even XY Ash I could. He'd still have the TRio
All he really needs is ONE companion anyways, there's no need for a third one when they just get the short stick each saga anyways. Either give the third wheel a purpose or don't include them at all.

It's not hypocritical, it's sense of good taste. Misty was a well established character, Iris was NOT. Iris was a hypocrite, bully, and unlikeable as hell

So? Misty was the same to me.

Epicocity

Not justifying, but the thing with Misty is that a lot of Western viewers don't even know about the slap. It was censored from the English release, so not as many are aware it existed, especially for those that never sought out the original. So, it's less a hypocritical gloss over and more just unawareness. I personally dislike Iris, and once I saw the slap in the original, Misty became far less likable for me as well.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I appreciate Ash traveling alone, the brief times that he does like in the beginning of Hoenn. It felt nice seeing it being just him and Pikachu until another Pokémon/traveling companion came along. Same in early BW when it was just him and Iris, it felt a refreshing not having the third wheel and also having someone stuck to you like glue for no special reason. It was also really entertaining seeing Serena travel alone with only her Fenniken simply because she felt really relatable when she got caught up in something like hoping that there was a Pokémon Center nearby. Anyone without another person to bounce off of will be the "deathbed" of the saga, it isn't exclusive to only Ash.

LOL @ the people who lost like points on Misty just because she slapped Ash. Yeah it wasn't necessary but it isn't enough to warrant a complete disrespect of her character. :p

Last edited:

SinnohEevee

I remember that I wasn't too fond of Misty as a kid, but she became less violent in Johto. However, I barely re-watched Kanto as a grow-up.
I agree that the third character sometimes gets the end of the stick. I think they show could sometimes work with only Ash and the Pokégirl. But if Ash and Misty travelled alone in Kanto, God knows what would have happened as they are both stubborn as Hell. Maybe Ash and Dawn/May could have travelled alone in DP/AG, I dunno about XY and BW.

I can't stand Jessie. She's more explosive than Misty. Imagine them in a fist fight. :D

I can't like Iris. I don't see why I should like her.

Spyro39

Saying Iris was a bully couldn't be farther from the truth than it already is. Honestly, if you think Iris harmlessly teasing Ash by calling him a kid was bullying and disrespecting him, then you are one of those fans that took it personal.

Nebbygetinthebag

So here the logic of this fandom:
Misty and Iris: OMG worst character they are Bully to Ash and annoying kill it with fire umm it call Tsudenre not all the character has to worship Ash for 24/7 and Misty become more likeable in johto and as for Iris it just a tease you people took it to personal.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
You guys have a weird definition of a bully.

And by weird I mean completely stupid.

Misty and Iris: OMG worst character they are Bully to Ash and annoying kill it with fire umm it call Tsudenre not all the character has to worship Ash for 24/7.
Nailed it.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
You guys have a weird definition of a bully.

And by weird I mean completely stupid.

Nailed it.

After all, if the girl doesn't want Ash's **** 24/7, she is a bully.

Heaven forbid we get another female companion who is a "bully" to Ash.

I just find that reason dumb to hate on a character.

Last edited:
Misty and Iris: OMG worst character they are Bully to Ash and annoying kill it with fire umm it call Tsudenre not all the character has to worship Ash for 24/7 and Misty become more likeable in johto and as for Iris it just a tease you people took it to personal.

I know there's such a thing as a tsundere, and I actually don't mind that in Iris, but the slap was just a little too much for me with Misty.

Also, the slap was when Misty had just met him, before she even knew much about his personality. I wouldn't call that a tsundere action.

Mia Blaze

I'mma gonna Deku in the face, Kacchan
No wonder characters like Dawn and Serena are loved and characters like Misty and Iris are hated if the fandom acts this way.

Personally, I like Misty over Serena and just because she slapped a ten year old for something like not understanding her concern towards the pokemon's health and not his own doesn't mean she's a bad character, plus the dub overlooks that by editing it out. Misty wasn't a 'bully' but was kinda justified in her first few episodes of anger. Ash had just stolen her bike for pete's sake. He could go to jail for that even if it was a Pokemon emergency and that bike (which probably cost a lot of her hard earned cash if her past with her sisters has anything to say about it) was totally destroyed. The fact she forgives him for a criminal offence has to be worth something.

I like Dawn and yeah, to some extent Iris but not because of the "such a little kid" line. She was given a backstory, a look into her past with some character development leading to why she wants to do what she does. Just because a female/male and male/female character can't exist in 'total harmony' especially if one of those male is Ash, then that doesn't mean the character against them is instantly hate-able.

Status
Not open for further replies.