• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

cooljolteon's VGC 2016 team

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooljolteon

user of anything
I'm not entirely sure if this is the place to post this...but here we go anyway!

As a disclaimer, the chances of me actually participating is extremely low. I live in an area nowhere near any locations that even hold Cities tournaments. I also have a family who happens to be mostly against gaming because of how much time I spend on it (when they spend an equal amount of time watching TV...).

This team follows VGC 2016 rules. I do not go by Smogon for anything, as I don't agree with many of their decisions, which tend to follow the philosophy of "If it irritates me, we'll ban it". Feel free to agree or disagree - I'd actually like to hear arguments in Smogon's favor.

Florges @ Red Card
Flower Veil
Gentle [+SpDef/-Def]
252 HP, 4 SpAtk, 252 SpDef
-Misty Terrain
-Dazzling Gleam
-Petal Blizzard
-Synthesis
Florges is not here to deal damage, but rather to support Goodra. Misty Terrain lowers the power of Dragon-Type attacks, which is Goodra's most irritating weakness. I'll elaborate on this strategy later...
Obviously, I'm going with Dazzling Gleam over Moonblast due to the VGC format being all Double Battles. Synthesis is Florges' only good form of sustain, which happens to take advantage of the predicted saturation of Primal Groudon.
Also, still waiting on Eternal Flower Form Floette...

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Sap Sipper
Adamant [+Atk/-SpAtk]
248 HP, 252 Atk, 8 SpDef
-Power Whip
-Aqua Tail/Ice Punch
-Fire Punch
-Rock Slide

Goodra is an interesting beast that happens to work well with Florges. When Misty Terrain is active, it negates Goodra's only predominately Physical weakness. Goodra doesn't really need a Dragon-Type attack either, due to its ridiculous amount of coverage. Furthermore, Florges' Petal Blizzard not only does some damage to both opponents, but also activates Sap Sipper, raising Goodra's Attack. Assault Vest combined with Goodra's already insane Special bulk makes it pretty hard to take out.
I'm not sure which attack to go with between Aqua Tail and Ice Punch.

EDIT 12/28/15
Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Prankster
Calm [+SpDef/-Atk]
252 HP, 4 SpAtk, 252 SpDef
-Dazzling Gleam
-Worry Seed
-Cotton Guard
-Helping Hand

My keyboard is acting up, so I need to be somewhat brief here.
Whimsicott helps Palkia and Mewtwo deal with P-Groudon, as well as Mewtwo and M-Metagross with M-Rayquaza. Dazzling Gleam is so Whimsicott isn't destroyed by Taunt.
Just a tangent here: Why doesn't Whimsicott get Defog?

EDIT 12/28/15
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Clear Body/Tough Claws
Adamant [+Atk/-SpAtk]
252 Atk, 4 SpDef, 252 Spd
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Ice Punch
-Power-Up Punch

Someone pointed out a problem my team had with Xerneas. Let's see the Life Pokemon get through this.
I've used Metagross in-game in the past, and it wrecks everything. I know in-game barely matters, but even my more competitive-minded friends have major problems with my normal set-up. This is not my normal set-up. I've adapted it to be more viable in Doubles.
The idea is to punch things. Need I say more?
Actually, I've weighed the pros and cons between this and Mega Aggron. M-Metagross has more Attack, Speed and, most importantly for its purpose, Special Defense.

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb/Choice Specs
Pressure
[+SpAtk/-SpDef]
4 Def, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd
-Spacial Rend
-Hydro Pump
-Aura Sphere
-Earth Power

This is the first Legendary slot. I'm not sure which Nature this is, but it's the Nature my Palkia happened to have when I caught it in Omega Ruby without saving beforehand (wasn't aware it wasn't actually on an island).
Palkia is a sweeper - I just don't know which item I should go with. Specs would seem like a no-brainer, but I don't like the idea of being locked into one move.

Mewtwo @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Pressure
[+SpAtk/-Def]
252 SpAtk, 4 SpDef, 252 Spd
-Psystrike
-Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
-Water Pulse
-Aura Sphere

Again, I can't remember what Nature this is, but the Mewtwo I caught in X has it. I'm blessed with good Legendary Natures sometimes...(I have an Adamant Articuno)
I don't know which item to go with just yet, as both have negative effects I don't like very much.
What's the strategy? Well...it's Mewtwo. Do I actually have to explain?
EDIT 12/28/15: Water Pulse has been added as an option against P-Groudon in combination with Whimsicott's Worry Seed. I need feedback on whether Ice Beam or Thunderbolt will be more useful.

Don't suggest any Pokemon replacements, and remember that I have my own style of battling. You may be able to guess what that is...

Last edited:

EKZ1505

If you don't want any suggestions for Pokemon replacements, what exactly is the point of having your team rated?

Honestly the first 3 Pokemon are bad. I love Floette too, but it is severely outclassed as a support Pokemon. Its nature is not good either. I hear ya on waiting for the Eternal Flower form tho...

Hawlucha is way too frail for this format, and it won't live many of the strong attacks from Pokemon like P-Groudon and P-Kyogre. Goodra just really isn't threatening anything.

Everything in doubles generally needs Protect, unless you are Choiced, Assault Vested, running Fake Out, or can't fit it in on a Pokemon if they have 4 support moves (like Crobat or Sableye, for example).

Xerneas runs right through your team, and you have no way to stop it from using Geomancy. You don't really have anything reliable for either Primal (except for maybe Palkia's Earth Power for Groudon), and Smeargle has a field day facing you. You are also wasting EVs. In general, since you are at lvl 50 for VGC, anything divisible by 8 is wasting 4 EVs (if you have a perfect 31 IV in that stat).

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
You do realize Petal Blizzard is a physical attack?

cooljolteon

user of anything
Yes. Petal Blizzard is really there to activate Goodra's Sap Sipper.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Your team has no way to deal with proper Primal Groudon teams.. Would also like to mention that your team is very weak against trick room teams..

Your team in general is not carrying protect and that is failure number 1 in VGC
I can't stop telling how important it is use protect and scan movesets, blocking fake outs, predicting gang-ups which protect can give you a free turn, dang so much possible advantages really.

Last edited:

EKZ1505

How has Florges+Goodra been in testing? I still honestly don't see how it can be very effective, but if you found a niche use for it, then maybe it works for you. :) Florges still has a bad nature though (Calm or Bold are better), and Goodra is still wasting EVs. An odd # HP stat doesn't matter in VGC since hazards are non-existent. The only time an even HP stat matters is if you are running Sitrus Berry. Take 4EVs in either HP or SpDef, and put them in the other stat.

Whimsicott is a nice addition, but you are very vulnerable to being Taunted since you aren't running any speed. Whimsicott is generally best with max HP/max Spd Timid (you can take some Spd EVs out though if you only need to outspeed other Prankster users (like Thundurus and Liepard)) and the Focus Sash (Mental Herb is an alternative). Taunt may be of some use, but Tailwind and Encore (to lock the opponent into Fake Out, Protect, etc.) are what Whimsicott does best, so you may want to consider that over Cotton Guard (I don't see how this helps you) and Helping Hand.

Metagross NEEDS Protect. Not only to safely gain the speed boost, but also because Protect is the best move in VGC. I don't think you'll ever really get a safe opportunity to use PuP, so replace that. Iron Head is often better so that you have a 100% accuracy move, but that is a personal preference.

As Azulart said, you still need Protect on the rest of your team, especially your ubers if you don't give either of them Specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.