• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Coordinated (G)

Stage On

Aura guardian
Chapter 18 – Fire fight

“Tonight on the evening news, the lead story on Mars industry’s new delta class space shuttle only on Vulpix twenty four,” said a commercial on the television in the Pokemon centers lounge as Jason went over his Team one last time trying to decide one and for all who to use in the upcoming gym battle. He was expecting the format to be three on three so both Masamune and Daichi where a shoe in since they were both super effective against fire types leaving the last slot open to dispute.

Dare he risk using Kouken who was afraid of fire but training hard to overcome said fear or stick with the safer option of using Fuu? It could very well be the final push Kouken needed to push his burden aside one and for all but it could also backfire on him costing him the battle and unlike in Dewford he didn’t have time to stick around and train for a rematch.

Suddenly Jason perked up as he sensed a known energy signature close at hand as the doors to the Pokemon center slid open and Katina walked in. His passive sensing range was nowhere near his active one but it was nice to see that it improving over time from his training since only a few short weeks ago he might not have noticed that his friend was around even after she entered the room.

“Oh hey Jason, did you see the great contest yesterday?” Katina asked in a friendly tone at which Jason noticed that she now had three ribbons tied to the right side of her purple tank top were as last time he’d seen her she’d only had two.

“There was a contest yesterday?” Jason asked in shock wondering how he hadn’t heard about this information sooner. If he hadn’t been busy dealing with Shaymin earlier he might have made it here to register in time or failing that if he hadn’t had to deal with that smuck from Team plasma he would have at least been able to watch in in person.

Lord knew what he could learn just from watching the more experienced Katina in action from the sidelines considering how much he had already picked up from her during the match in the first contest. He never would have come up with the idea to develop the still in progress Aura shield if he hadn’t seen her Serperior Aina using leaf storm in such an unexpected manor.

“Yep, you missed me beating the pants off some Julia kid,” Katina said with a light laugh. “Tough I have to admit she put up quite a fight. I haven’t lost that many points in one match since my second year back in Johto,” she added wistfully with more than a little admiration in her voice causing the blood to drain from Jason’s face at the thought of the two girls teaming up for the doubles league.

“I’ve got to improve more and fast,” He thought to himself as he shoot to his feet determined to whip the floor with this gym leader quickly and then move on to the next contest so that he could catch up to the number of ribbons Katina as soon as possible. He was about to excuse himself when he stopped the question he had been asking himself unexpectedly bubbling up to his lips.

“Katina what do you do when you’re not sure which of your Pokemon to use in a match?” Jason asked, feeling somewhat surprised by the words that had come out of his mouth. He hadn’t been intending to ask her for advice so why had he? Katina paused considering the question carefully for a long moment before finally answering.

“Whenever I’m really really not sure I default to my starter Pokemon. Remember that your starter Pokemon has was your first and been with you the longest, your bonds together stronger than any steel it will often go above and beyond to help you achieve your goal,” Katina explained. “But remember not to become over reliant on them. Default to your starter too much and your other Pokemon will never prosper and grow like they would have otherwise stunting their potential,” she added cautioning tone.

Jason nodded as he mulled over her advice taking the words to heart before glancing at the clock cursing lightly in his mind as he realized that he was running late for his appointment.

“Sorry gotta run, thanks for the guidance,” he said as he took off at a run dashing through the doors and heading across the street to a wooden building that looked like it was part of a hot springs resort which he supposed it probably was on the side given that the other gyms he had run into on this region each ran its own business during the off hours between challenges to generate income.

“Hum I wonder what sort of business Brian plans to run once he opens up his own gym,” Jason thought idly to himself as he entered the building to find a young crimson haired woman in her mid-twenties waiting for him impatiently with her hands on her yukata covered hips.

“Don’t you know you’re not supposed to keep a lady waiting?” the woman said jokingly as she lead Jason down a long hall way to an courtyard battlefield. But rather than a standard flat plane this one had a large bowl like depression strewn with boulders in the center. “The name is Flannery and I’m expecting a white hot battle from you challenger Jason,” she said as she read off his name from a small appointment book she had mysteriously pulled from out of her sleeve. Flannery clapping her hands lightly and an adult Julia appeared wearing a similar yukata as the gym leader rather than the standard battle judge uniform as she took her customary spot at the side of the battle field.

“This will be a four on four match with only the challenger allowed to substitute,” explained referee Julia causing Jason to wince. All this time he had been getting ready for a three on three and now they’d had to break the pattern on him. Still he had been training with Masamune rather extensively for the upcoming contest so hopefully he would be able to pull some extra weight for the rest of the team.

“Let’s start with a warm up, go Slugma,” called out Flannery as she sent out a red creature that resembled a living blob of lava.

“If it’s a warm up you want then I’ll go with you Daichi,” called out Jason as he sent out his Baltoy only to blink in surprised and confusion as Flannery burst out laughing.

“Dai for great and chi for earth or for wisdom that’s clever,” Flannery snickered out as she whipped a tear from her eyes from laughing so hard.

“I’ll show you clever, go Daichi use mud-slap,” ordered Jason causing the statue Pokemon to dig its hands into the ground and pull up to clumps of dirt that it tossed at the living blob.

“Too slow,” laughed Flannery as the Slugma effortlessly jumped and weaved out of the way of the attack without even needing to be ordered to dodge. For something with slug in its name it was surprisingly agile. “Hammer it with Flamethrower,” She ordered as the blob opened its mouth unleashing a great gush of flames which bored down on the living statue at high speed.

“Defend with rapid spin,” countered Jason as his Pokemon began to twirl around almost as it was dancing, the speed of its rotation causing the fire to splash harmlessly off in five different directions one of which splashed near Jason who was trying his best not to flinch away as the attack died off as the Slugma paused to catch its breath.

“Now’s your chance Daichi, use ancient power,” called out Jason. Baltoy’s eyes blinked red in acknowledgement as it held out its hands as his entire body began to glow with a bright white light almost forcing the humans in the room to shield their eyes as the radiance flowed down the statues body pooling into a large silver of energy that it promptly hurled at its foe.

The sliver ball crashed into the lava blood with a loud bang sending the creature flying into the far wall of the courtyard with a sick splosh like sound resembling jello hitting the floor after it had been dropped. A thin trail of smoke issued from Baltoy’s hands as it hovered in the air waiting for his next order as the ref ran over to the blob to check on it before shaking her head no.

“Slugma is unable to battle," referee Julia declared.

“Wow now that was quite an eruption of power,” declared Flannery who was practically purring in joy as she returned her Pokemon to its Pokeball. “Speaking of eruptions what do you think of this one?” She said as she sent out a large red turtle like Pokemon that breathed smoke out of its nostrils then stomped its foot in a challenge to Boltoy.

“With a shell like that I bet its defence is high. I better close in before attacking if I want to damage it,” thought Jason to himself. “Alright Daichi get in there and use ancient power again,” He called out causing his Satatue Pokemon to rush forward like a bullet train, its body glowing white as it prepared to fire off another shot only to suddenly veer off and crash into a nearby bolder.

“What the!” exclaimed Jason in shock.

“Aw darn,” Flannery sighed in disappointment. “Those Baltoy sure pack a lot of punch but their bodies are too small to contain much energy so they usually don’t last long,” she explained as Daichi’s eyes blinked rapidly on and off like a low power indicator on a battery.

“Darn I had no idea you had a time limit like that,” commented Jason as he recalled his Pokemon. “Still you took at least one of them down so good job. Masamune can take the rest from here,” Jason said confidently as he sent out his Oshawott.

“You aren’t about to put a dampener on this battle! Sunny day,” declared Flannery as her Torkoal began to stomp its feet rapidly as it danced around for a few seconds causing the clouds overhead to part aside letting more sunlight stream into the court yard.

“Darn,” thought Jason with a scowl. He hadn’t been expecting a weather manipulating move like that but he should have been since it would reduce the base power of all water attacks by fifty present while in affect. Flannery was a gym leader, of course she would take measures like this to compensate for her Pokemon’s weakness.

As Torkoal stomped once more in defiance Jason couldn’t fail to note how low to the ground the turtle Pokemon was as it stood at the bottom of the bowl like depression giving him an idea of how to take it on since brute force seemed ill advised.

“Masamune use aqua jet to climb into the sky,” Jason called out. His Oshawott grinned as water surged around his body launching him several feet into the air before he suddenly cut off the move launching him out of the self-propelled stream and into an flying arc high above the creator.

“Great now use Water Pulse combined with Ice beam repeatedly,” Jason shouted. Holding out a hand Masamune formed a sphere of water with it then blasted it was a lance of blue energy with the other turning it into a miniature iceburg which he tossed down at the Torkoal before throwing another and another. Because he was throwing the attacks as fast as he could Masamune was sacrificing speed for accuracy and none of the icicle boulders struck the mark as they fell harmlessly around the Torkoal.

“Trying to pin us in are you? Clever, but not clever enough. Torkoal blast your way to freedom with overheat,” ordered Flannery with a sweep of her arms.

Blasting smoke from his nostrils in reply as the red spots on its shell began to glow brightly before it opened its mouth emitting a brilliant white flame with a secondary reddish orange flame spiraling around it, the sheer effort of this move generating a large plume of smoke from its back as the flames struck the ice around it melting it effortlessly only for Jason to grin in response.

Torkoal’s overheat was indeed very hot but not hot enough to transform solid ice to steam instantly. One moment the Turtle had been standing on dry land and the next it found itself drowning as the melted ice turned the depression into the ground into a small hot spring.

“Dang didn’t expect that,” exclaimed Flannery as Torkoal flailed around helplessly in the water forcing her to recall it since it had no way of extracting itself as Masumune touched down gently on the edge of the pool side.

“This is getting interesting Jason. Now I’m really fired up!” Flannery exclaimed as she took out a premier ball. “I had this one specially imported from Sinnoh for me. I’m sure he’ll give you a warm reception,” she joked as she sent out a Monferno. The small monkey like Pokemon hoped up and down on one of the boulders inside the pool excitedly at being called upon and Jason grinned at the sight. There were several Pokemon in Hoenn he knew very little about, but he knew plenty about Monferno like the fact that it was a fire/fighting type.

“Return Masumune take a rest, this is a job for Fuu,” Jason said confidently as he switched out to his Swellow who folded in one wing and took a bow before assuming a fighting stance.

“Ooh, aiming for the secondary type weakness eh? Will it be enough?” taunted Flannery.

“We’ll just have to see about that. Fuu quick attack,” ordered Jason causing the large bird to dart forward like a high speed arrow only for the monkey Pokemon to suddenly dig a hole into the ground and dive down it at the last moment causing Fuu to swoop harmlessly past.

“Where did it go?” thought Jason as his eyes swept over the battle field only to widen as he sensed where the fire monkey had gone. “Behind you…”’ he started to say as Fuu began to whirl around but it was too late as the Monferno burst out of the ground and decked the bird in the chest with a mighty sky upper cut making the Swellow reel.

“Now use dig again before it can recover,” ordered Flannery.

“Stop it with arial ace,” cried out Jason. Snapping open her eyes Swellow performed a upside down loop slamming into the Monkey’s chest peak first just as it was about to dive back into the hole it had popped out from sending it flying high into the air.

“Now finish it with air slash,” shouted Jason excitedly as Fuu flapped her mighty wings sending a series of shuriken like projectiles flying into the monkey’s body enveloping it in smoke as they impacted with a series of hard thuds. A moment later the Monferno fell to the ground, it’s eyes swirling as it let out a low moan.

“Monferno is unable to battle. The gym leader is down to her last Pokemon.”

“Wow that was scorching. Let’s see if I can turn this around with a blaze. Go Magcargo,” Flannery said as she sent out something that looked similar to the first Pokemon see had sent out, only this blob had a hard rocky shell on its back.

“Hum… the evolved form of Slumga huh? Not sure what it can do so I better approach it cautiously.” Jason thought. “Alright Fuu bombard it with air slash,” he advised. Fuu pulled back her wings to launch a second assault only for Flannery to grin.

“You’ve never seen a Magcargo before have you? Let me introduce you with a Rock slide,” she ordered as the fire slug’s shell began to glow before suddenly several rocks formed around it and shot out towards Swellow ripping straight through the wind made shrunken like they were wet tissue paper before crashing into the bird sending it crashing out of the sky.

“Swellow is unable to battle,” called out the Referee making Jason snap his thumb in mild disappointment. Still he had to admit Fuu’s downfall had given him valuable information about the enemies typing since now he knew for sure that Magcargo was part rock type rather than simply suspecting it based on its looks.

“Easy pickings,” he muttered to himself as he sent out Masamune once more sure that the water type would make short work of anything four times weak to it only to blink in surprise that the Magcargo had vanished. Jason looked to the left then the right before looking up in confusion finding nothing in either direction and it certainly couldn’t have dived into the hot springs.

“Where did it go?” he thought to himself as suddenly the Magcargo’s head popped up from the hole Monferno had dug.

“Solar beam,” called out Flannery with a knowning grin as Magcargo popped open its mouth and unleashed an intense laser without any prior charge up thanks to the effects of sunny day.

“Slash it with Freeze Blade,” called out Jason as Masamune grabbed hold of his scallop and swung it hard frost spewing from it as he combined Razor shell and ice beam and swung out cleaving the beam of light in two even as the beam pushed him several feet back scorching him heavily. Masamune thumped his chest in triumph at having overcome the enemies attack as he sheathed his sword in preparation for a quick draw and glared out at the Magcargo which stuck out it’s toung defiantly before vanishing back into the hole.

“I don’t think so case it out with Water pulse,” ordered Jason as Masamune stood over the hole and tossed a throbbing orb of water down the crevice only for nothing to happen moments later when Jason had been expecting the slug to have been blasted out the other side.

“There have been countless holes dug here by Pokemon in the past. I never did bother to fill them all in,” Flannery taunted. Realizing that the Slug could pop up from an unexpected place Jason cursed knowing that his Oshawott would be unable to take another ponding like before.

“Quick dive into the water,” he ordered. If Flannery’s Pokemon could hide underground then he would have his hide under the water. The minutes ticked by as the two trainers stared off knowing they were in a stalemate where the first to make a move would likely be the first to go down. Jason glanced up at the sky and grinned. If he could just hold out a little longer until sunny day wore of then he would be able to strike far faster than the Magcago could charge up another solar beam.

Suddenly Masamune bopped up to the surface, his eyes spinning as he pulled himself up onto a rock and out of the water causing Jason to blink in surprise only for his eyes to widen in revelation as he realized that his Oshawott was used to cold water not hot and had gotten light headed from prolonged exposure to the hot springs the same way that a human would have.

“Solar beam,” said Flannery as she realized what was going on at the same time as Jason and moved quickly to take advantage as Magcargo unleashed another laser that shot into the Oshawott hard sending him tumbling end over end into the nearby foliage at the end of the courtyard.

“Oshawott is unable to battle, the challenger is down to his last Pokemon,” declared referee Julia making Jason break out into a nervous sweet. He had been counting on Masamune to carry the rest of the battle and now he had to make an impossible choice on which of his two Pokemon to use.

Aoki would work well against Magcargo’s secondary rock type but was in turn weak to Magcargo’s primary fire typing. Kouken on the other hand would have been perfectly suited for the situation except for the fact he might freeze up in fear. If this had been the start of the battle it would have been worth the risk since he would have had other Pokemon to fall back on but now it was all or nothing. Undecided Katina’s words abruptly echoed in his head.

“If you’re not sure default to your starter Pokemon,”

“Right here goes nothing. You can do it Kouken,” said Jason trying to project a confidence he didn’t truly feel as he sent out his Rilou who flinched at the sight of the fire Pokemon sticking its head out of the ground. But then Kouken gritted his teeth and pulled himself into a fighting stance.

“Well it’ been fun Jason but things just aren’t hot enough anymore to hold my attention. Let’s finish this Magcargo,” Flannery said with a yawn as the slug Pokemon launched another Solar beam before Kouken had a chance to close in on it.

“Block it with Aura shield.” Jason said. He’d had a chance to tinker on the move it since it had failed in the last gym battle and this time he was sure it would work. Well mostly sure anyhow as Kouken held his hands out plams flat towards the enemy as he formed an Aura sphere between them catching the beam and causing it to splash harmlessly off the energy field as it splintered into a rainbow of seven colored light that would have scored Jason high marks if this had been a contest.

“Now Kouken counter attack,” Jason started to say as the solar beam died off but the Magcargo had already dived back into the hole. “You can run but you can’t hide,” Jason remarked as Kouken closed his eyes sensing for the enemy’s position before ramming the aura sphere he was holding into the ground causing it to crack and split apart revealing a very startled Magcargo.

“Ho, maybe I was wrong about this battle cooling down after all,” remarked Flannery in amusement as Kouken began to rush forward so that he could begin to unleash a can of woop *** on his foe. “Flamethrower,” she snapped out

Recovering from being uncovered Magcargo’s head whirled towards the Rilou as he opened his mouth and spat out a torrent of flames. Kouken’s eyes widened in panic as he aborted his attack run and quickly rolled to the side as the flames shot past barely missing hitting his shoulder by a mere centimeter. Pulling himself up to his feet Kouken winced and hit his head with his right paw cursing himself for his weakness as his foe quickly slimmed its way out of the crater and onto the edge of the poolside.

Jason frowned thinking quickly. The longer this fight went on the less Kouken would be able to keep a lid on his fear increasing the chances he would freeze up at a critical moment. But no matter how hard he struck it would be hard to overcome that sheer defense unless. Noticing how closely the Magcargo was to the hot springs Jason smirked as he came up with an idea.

“Agility,” He called out as Kouken blurred and began to rush forward jumping out of the way of another flamethrower as he closed the distance between the two Pokemon until they were only a scant meter apart.

“Now use Aura sphere to propel yourself,” called out Jason. Gasping in surprise as he realized what his trainer was asking Kouken grinned as he whirled around and tossed an aura sphere directly into the ground in front of him then riding the shockwave as it exploded rocketing into the Magcargo with a flying body check that send both Pokemon tumbling into the drink.

A moment later Kouken jumped out of the hot spring landing on the water’s surface and balancing on one foot on as he raised his hands and other legs in an attack stance waiting for his foe to surface but it proved unnecessary that the Magcargo splashed about helplessly unable to swim just like the Torkoal had been before it.

“Magcargo is unable to battle, the challenger wins the match,” declared referee Julia as Flannery recalled her Pokemon with a sigh before breaking into a wide grin.

“You really got me by making good use of the battle field around you. The way you battle…you’d make a pretty good coordinator Jason,” complimented Flannery as she tossed him a Heat badge.

“You don’t know the half of it,” Jason joked back as he grabbed hold of the badge and held it tightly knowing that it meant another bump in his budget and a step closer to getting the Motorcycle he had been thinking off since Offer Jenny had given him a ride to Verdanturf. Perhaps he ought to offer Katina a ride to thank her once he got it to thank her since it had been her advice that had enabled his win.

With his business in Lavaridge concluded Jason figured it was time to hit to road one more and make his way to Fallarbor Town. He had his forth contest to participate in and a ribbon to win if he was going to keep moving along he chosen path and catch up to the back he was chasing. Failure was not an option.

Last edited:

Skiyomi

Only Mostly Dead
Hey there, I'm here for the review game and if you don't mind I'll give you my impression of my reading up through chapter 2.

First off, I noticed that a lot of this could use some revision on the technical side. I saw a lot of typos that could be taken out, but the thing that caught my eye the most was the improper use of capitalization and punctuation of dialogue tags. I think other people would've pointed this out to you by now, but yet I also see on a quick skim that these problems have continued through your most current chapter. I'll try to give you a bit of a primer on this based on the mistakes I saw:

“Err, You’re welcome… I guess?” He stuttered out awkwardly before the two of them quickly broke out into laughter together.

Correction: “Err, You’re welcome… I guess?” he stuttered out awkwardly before the two of them quickly broke out into laughter together.

Treat exclaimation points and question marks like commas if you're using them with a dialogue tag afterward. Technically the sentence hasn't ended since you're adding a "he said/she said" on the end, so the first letter shouldn't be capitalized.

“This will be a one on one Pokemon battle, begin.” declared Maria with a dramatic sweep of her arm downwards mimicking the wave of a checkered flag at the beginning of a race.

Correction: “This will be a one on one Pokemon battle, begin,” declared Maria with a dramatic sweep of her arm downwards mimicking the wave of a checkered flag at the beginning of a race.

You need a comma instead of a period at the end of this line of dialogue. You're added a he said/she said bit, so the sentence hasn't really ended.

Honestly, I see you doing this right sometimes and wrong other times. Perhaps it's just an inconsistency that requires revision.

You've added some really good description details in this piece, particularly in the prologue. I'll admit that occasionally I thought the description was a little heavy-handed, but I see your dilemma. You want us to be able to visualize these characters as quickly as possible, but I think it's more effective if you sort of slip the details in with our food, so to speak, instead of plopping them on us all at once. You do a good job with this during Jason's part of the prologue since you never stop the narrative to give a description. You couch the description amongst the movement of the scene, so it never feels static. You don't say "his jacket was red" you say "his red jacket fluttering slightly in the breeze as he appraised the fancy looking structure before him" and that's much more poignant and memorable as an image. I suppose my main problem is, even though you're using good action verbs, the description feels a little clumped at some points--particularly with Maria's description.

In general, I suppose my main complaint about what I've read so far is that it tells where it should be showing. Jason's backstory is delivered in exposition dumps instead of teased out slowly and in the moment. The same thing can be said about the summer camp--these are two weeks that form our main characters' initial reactions and relationship toward each other and we mostly get it in summary, not scene, which makes their relationships feel more artificially constructed to the reader. I think Maria makes up the prime example. You were doing a good job with her in the prologue where we were mostly getting at her character just through dialogue. The reader could see a nice rapport between her and Jason over their shared interests. However, we skip pretty quickly to them having become close and her having developed a crush on him. This probably doesn't happen too fast for them as characters since they have two weeks to get to know each other, but it happens too fast for the readers since they don't get to see that crucial development. I'm sure their relationship will get deeper as the story progresses, but I feel like we've missed that important first step.

I like a lot of the details you add about the characters. The one that jumps to my mind is Jason's acid reflux. It makes the character feel much more well-rounded. Also, I have acid reflux so it creates relatability (at least for me).

It really seems like you enjoy writing battles and that makes sense for a detail and description oriented writer such as yourself. I can feel that creativity and that relish for the battle scene in your work, and that's very important given the kind of story you seem to be trying to write here. Me, I'm one of those writers who's well aware that her Pokemon fics are short on battles. I don't like writing them, but it seems like a different story for you, so that's good.

With all that said, I have to be honest that I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to continue onward from here. Part of this is just a matter of my preferences, and I'm not a huge fan of journey-based fics. But the inconsistencies in punctuation are also a deterring factor. I know it seems like a small thing, but observing proper conventions in writing makes your work more reader-friendly, so I definitely think it's worth it to implement the correct conventions in your future writing and to revise your previous chapters.

I hope that was helpful, and I wish you all the luck in the world as you continue this story.

Stage On

Aura guardian
Well that's certainly a lot to chew on, thank you.

I've been trying hard on the punctuation thing but going back to fix it I was surprised by just how much I missed especially in earlier chapters. Gosh darn myself thought the auto fix in word isn't doing me much favors either.

Out of all you said that was the easiest thing to incorporate and I've gone through and fixed all 18 chapters fixing a couple of other minor spelling errors well I was at it.

The rest, well that's going to require some thought and reflection.

Balancing description can be hard, and I'm still working on how to not be crumpled at times like you said or too heavy handed at others.

If there is one thing I really regret about the early part of my story is how quickly I skipped over the summer camp/school. That happened because originally I planned on doing only 26 episodes and later changed to 40. But it's a bit late to do much about it now that I'm about half way thought already so I'm not really sure what can be done about it other then flashback or maybe a prequel.

I'm glad you like the details and quirks I'm trying to give the characters. I feel that helps make them feel more real to have at some minor flaws and problems like that. Especially when it can even effect the story and isn't just for flavor.

It's funny because I'm worried my battle scenes aren't dynamic enough and that I'm reusing some things in them too much. I'm really glad you like them so far :)
I'm not sure you're going to read more but I hope that the contest appeals are good as well since those are even more important then most of the battles given what the story is about.

Anyhow I took a lot of notes from what you've said Skiyomi and I'll be dwelling on it for quite a while. Thank you very much again and I really hope you'll decide to read more. I'm trying really hard not to be just a typical journey fic

3D992

The Living Hologram
I'm glad kouken got over his fear of fire. Or atleast in this battle. I've been busy lately cause of summer so I havent been on a lot.

Stage On

Aura guardian
Chapter 19: Ribbon duel

It was late November by the time the day for the contest in Fallarbor Town rolled around but thankfully due to his speed running in Lavaridge Jason had arrived over a week early with plenty of time to spare, time which he had divided between training his team and helping the local farmers bring in the last harvest earning him some extra cash and a few berries for his troubles.

Jason was wondering what to do his new found stash of fruit before it spoiled as he wandered into the contest hall bright and early. At this early in the morning the hall was mostly deserted other than a secretary running the front desk and a janitor cleaning up. Spotting the local berry bender which was usually swarmed by people Jason grinned as he got an idea.

He’d always wanted to try making his own Pokeblocks but had never had the opportunity until now. Putting down his backpack he pulled out a capsule that produced small basket full of berries and began feeding them into the blender one by one until he had put in one of each of the seven types he had on hand. Sitrus, Nanab, Magost, Occa, Ganlon, Starf and Enigma.

Jason crackled feeling like an alchemist as the blender whirled to life reducing the berries into mush before a few moments later sucking the mush away with a loud slurp. Moments later several golden coloured cubes clattered down the dispenser and Jason picked one up admiring his handy work.

“Gold huh, I wonder if that means it’s good,” he thought to himself as he summoned Masamune and tossed the block to it. Glancing at the strange treat inquisitively the Oshawott finally shrugged then popped the cube into its mouth then broke into a pleased smile as it brought its hands up to face and danced around in joy from the flavor. Feeling like his experiment had been a success Jason went over the front desk to pick up a registration form only for his smile to quickly turn to a frown as he quickly read over it.

“I have to use a different Pokemon from the appeal and battle round?” he read aloud with a deep sigh as he glanced over at Masamune. He had prossmed the otter he would use it for this contest but he had been hoping to use it for both rounds not just one which meant the rest of his team didn’t have much new skits ready to show off for the battle round, but he supposed he’d have to improvise a little.

Sending out his entire team he began to appraise them trying to decide who would make the best fit for the job. First his eyes went over his Baltoy and he shook his head negatively. He had only had Daichi for a short while now and still didn’t feel like he had a good grasp on the statue’s time limit. It would be disastrous if it ran out of energy in the middle of a match.

Next his eyes fell over his Swellow and he paused to seriously consider it. He had used Fuu in the last contest but that was when she had still been a Taillow. Still she only had one new move that he didn’t really have any combinations for yet so of he used her again now would that be too much of the same flavor?

Finally his eyes fell on his Treecko and Jason broke into a grin. Aoki had taken part in the appeal round in the last contest but not the battle round which meant nobody had seen his special seed combo yet which made him an ideal choice. Jason was just about to pen in Aoki’s name when the small grass Pokemon began to glow with a bright light, its form swiftly growing and changing as it evolved into a Grovyle but instead of being happy Jason nearly had a conniption fit at the sight. He’d been hoping to evolve Masamune and Treecko but it’s timing couldn’t be worse since now it’s move set and timing might be altered and Jason didn’t have time to adjust to the new rhythm.

“Shoot what do I do now?” though Jason to himself as he gripped his head in panic his heart racing as he tried to think of some cleaver way out of this situation he had gotten himself into when he recalled Katina’s advice to him once more, just like the last time he had been in trouble.

“If you’re not sure, default to your starter Pokemon,”

Taking a deep breath trying to calm himself down Jason glanced down at Kouken as he considered if that really was such a good idea at this time. Despite Kouken’s performance in the last gym battle, or perhaps because of it Jason wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to battle with him yet while his fear of fire still lingered.

He had seen how Kouken had reacted to that flamethrower. If it hadn’t been for the advantage in terrain he would have likely lost the match. But what would he do in the grand festival when the terrain would be neutral without a convenient pool to throw a foe into, or what if he went up against something that wasn’t a fire type but used a fire type move anyhow? If he didn’t overcome this problem it could mean the end for him professionally in the long run.

But at the same time this was the last contest in the area before the holiday season during which most of the halls would be closed. If he didn’t do something now it would be his last chance until early next year. If he waited that long he might never make it to the grand festival. What a joke would he be than if he made it to one stage at the Pokemon league but not the one he truly wanted in his heart.

“Right let’s do this.” Jason said determinedly as he scribbled down Koukens name onto the form for the battle round then handed it in to the secretary. If he was going to make his dream come true then he was going to have to grab the future with his own two hands. He felt like he was close to making a big break though, that just one more push would enable him to reach the next level where if he wouldn’t be outright able to beat his more advanced rivals like Brian and Katina that at least he’d be able to put up a good fight against them.

Fully registered now Jason started heading to the men’s locker room to get changed when his Poketch began to ring, emitting the tune of best wishs letting him know that someone was trying to call him. Brining the wrist watch like device to up to his face he clicked it answering the call.

“Hello Jason here,” he said with a wide smile as Maria’s face popped up on the screen. From the Picture he could tell she was calling using her Pokenav and not one of the phones at a Pokemon center.

“Hey Jason did you manage to make it to Fallarbor in time?” asked Maria her voice filled with concern.

“Sure did, I just finish registering now,” Jason replied with a wide grin. “Are you going to watch?” He asked, feeling like he would be able to perform better if he knew a friend was watching.

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world,” replied Maria with an equally wide grin. “I won’t keep you waiting then good luck,” she said as she hung up and slipped her Pokenav into a pocket on her skirt then looked up at the contest hall before her, the same one she had just confirmed that Jason was inside. This was going to be fun.

“Would the next contestant please take the stage,” called out the commentator.

“That’s my cue,” thought Jason as he jumped out from behind the curtain and tossed out a Pokeball that seemed to explode in a shower of fireworks as Masamune emerged and struck a pose holding out arms to left so that they were hiding his eyes from the audience then bringing them down so that one was held out to the side while the other was gripping the hilt of his scallop.

“Aqua jet into the air,” called out Jason causing Masamune to grin as water pooled around his feet sending him surging several feet, only jumping out of the stream just as it seemed he was going to strike the ceiling. “Now ice beam then follow with razor shell,” ordered Jason
Reaching out his free arm Masamune emitted a beam of light from it that spun like a cork as it flew through the air and struck the pillar of water head on freezing it solid in the blink of an eye as the otters momentum cut out causing him to begin to fall. As he reached the ice he drew his scallop slashing at stupendous speeds then sheathing it again.

To the untrained eye it would look like he had only slashed once, but in actuality he had slashed many times in that one moment. As he landed he sheathed the scallop on his chest then raised his left arm to cover his eyes again. For a long moment time seemed to stretch as nothing happened then suddenly with a loud crack the ice pillar fell apart revealing a sculpture of the legendary Pokemon Ho-oh that sparkled and shined as the spotlights refracted off it turning into the second colors of the rainbow making it almost seem for a moment that it had come to life.

The crowd erupted into a wild applause and Jason knew that in that moment he had them in the palm of his hands, with a reaction like that advancement into the battle round was all but assured. The only real question now was who would he face in that round? Usually by this point in the contest he could tell who his main rival would be but so far nobody else had really stood out during their appeal and there wasn’t many people left to go since the random order had put him near the very end.

Jason had just gotten into the shared waiting room and was about to see down when what he saw on the screen had him nearly fall over in shock as Maria waltzed onto the stage clutching a black and green dusk ball tightly in hand as the lights around her winked out as per her request drenching her in darkness.

“What the heck is she doing here?”
he thought as a singular glowing eye appeared in the inky darkness hovering spookily over his friend. With woosh several small blue fire balls burst into existence around the creature which only served to highlight the horror effect Maria must have been going for as several audience members screamed out in a mix of fear and delight like one would often hear at visiting a haunted house at an amusement park.

It was the best performance Jason had seen from her yet, a dramatic improvement over what he had seen at the academy and he had to admit he admired her for how she wasn’t taking the easy route out and not using her shiny Scyther which who’s appearance alone would have been basically a free pass to the battle round. But all the same hadn’t they agreed not to face off against each other until the grand festival?

It would have been one thing to register for the same contest by mistake but the fact that she had called him meant she knew exactly which contest he had booked and had registered for the same one deliberately. But what was her motive for doing so? Did she simply want better competition or did she have some other reason to be here. It seemed like he would have a chance to get the answer to that question as Maria walked into the room having just finished her performance.

“Maria what were you thinking coming here what about our agreement?” asked Jason causing her to breakout in a smirk.

“What afraid of losing to a girl?” she asked teasingly as she brushed past him and then ducked into the woman’s locker room before Jason could have a chance to give her a proper reply.

“No afraid of what will happen if I win.” Jason muttered to himself with a sigh. When he had met her confidence for being able to do well in contests was a mess and it had taken a lot of prep talk to build it up again to the point she had even been willing to try taking contests again. Would her confidence shatter again if he beat her?

Besides she had told him once the reason behind her trying to get to the grand festival, so that she could get the funding she needed to open her private Pokemon clinic. She didn’t have to actually win the festival, just getting to it alone would be enough and part of the reason he hadn’t wanted to fight her was that there were only a limited number of ribbons to go around, fighting each other over them constantly would only be counterproductive.

In the end it was a good thing that they hadn’t ended up traveling together since that would have only bogged them down since they’d have to aim for the same ribbon every time instead of hopefully just this one time. Still what would happen if he beat her now and she didn’t make it to the grand festival did he really have in in his heart to be the one to crush her dream?

And yet if he held anything back, didn’t give the battle round everything he had how would Maria feel? They two of them where too even in skill for her not to notice something was off and knowing her she would be probably be quite pissed at such a chauvinistic gesture, her pride wounded at being looked down upon.

Jason’s train of thought came to a halt as he realized for the first time how Brian must have felt every time they had fought each other so many years ago, why he had never once held back or loosened up because to do so would be an insult to the one he was facing. Closing his right hand into a fist Jason glared in the direction of the gir’ls locker room. If Maria had chosen to enter this contest in order to fight him, then it was a fight he was going to give one hundred present too.

Jason grinned as he blew his opponent’s Clefairy away in the first strike. One aura sphere straight to the chest and it was down and out, the match over as quickly as it had begun. Three minutes later where he heard Maria had won her match as well he simply nodded knowingly. To him that outcome had been obvious from the start. The moment that he and his friend had both entered this hall they had been destined to fight each other.

“In the red corner the fresh meat that broke a prodigies streak Jason,” rhymed the commentator as Jason walked to his end of the state waving and bowing to the crowd along the way.

“And in the blue corner another rookie looking to get the ribbon cookie I give you Maria,” called out the commentator causing the audience to grown at his awful joke as Maria walked from behind the stage and over to her end of the ring.

“Alright folks this is it the final match, let get ready to rumble!” exclaimed the commentator as both contestants drew their Pokeballs.

“Go Kouken take the stage,” called out Jason as he went first sending out his Rilou.

“Go Nova explode onto the scene,” cried Maria as she sent out a Torchic causing Jason to curse since it seemed he wasn’t the only one who had fallen back on his starter Pokemon. Of all the Pokemon he knew Maria had this had to be the worst possible choice for him to go up against as Kouken flinched slightly at the sight of the fire type, a detail the commentator didn’t fail to miss.

“What’s this a knew we had a chicken on stage but I’d never guess it’d be the Rilou,” said the commentator with a cruel laugh.

“Never mind him, we’ll pluck her feathers with a bullet punch,” called out Jason as he did the unexpected by ordering a move that wasn’t very effective. Kouken hesitated for a split second and then obeyed swinging his fist forward with a loud crack as a shot fired from the back of his paw and flew across the stage like a bolt of lightning striking the small fire bird in the head before it could blink causing it to spin around in place.

Maria frowned deeply as Nova quickly recovered footing and glared across the stage, the blow hadn’t done much damage physically but it had taken a nice chuck out of her point count. It made it feel like this was going to be a tough match and that thought made her frown turned to a grin as she relished the challenge.

“Fight back with peck attack,” Maria called out. Nova jumped forward her tiny legs propelling her at surprising speed as she attempted to close in, her beak glowing white with power.

“Push it back with force palm,” Jason ordered as Kouken trust an arm out his longer reach allowing him to strike the bird in the chest long before the Torchic had a chance of reaching him. Nova stumbled back several steps and Maria’s points took another hit.

“Fine if I can’t get close then I’ll fight from a distance, Nova use flamethrower,” Maria exclaimed as her Torchic took a deep breath then blew out a flood of flames from its open beak that rushed towards the Rilou.

“Dodge it,” Jason called out only to curse as Kouken freeze up in fear as the fire descended upon him. It was too late to get out of the way now but that didn’t mean Jason didn’t have other options. “Aura shield,” he barked out in his most commanding voice causing Kouken to reflexively form an aura sphere in his hands that collided directly with the fire causing the stream to split into several smaller rivers that flowed around him.

Kouken trembled at the sheer amount of fire that was blowing past him, the aura sphere he was holding wavering slightly as Jason’s points began to slowly but surely drain away. His Pokemon wasn’t taking much if any damage but at the same time his defence was inelegant at best and looked like it might crumble at a moment’s notice, especially as Kouken closed his eyes trying desperately to escape.

“Things are really heating up for Jason and his Rilou. Will he be able to pull out of the frying pan in time?” said the commentator with a jeer just as everything seemed lost.

“Kouken don’t give up. You beat a Magcargo for crying out loud surely you can overcome this,” cried out Jason who was trying his best to encourage his Pokemon. Hearing his trainers voice Kouken’s eyes snapped open as he glared across at the Torchic in determination.

Unexpectedly Kouken’s entire body erupted in a white light as his form shot up and expanded growing several feet so to point the tip of his ears came up to Jason’s shoulders as he evolved from a Rilou to a Lucario. Kouken grinned fiercely as the aura sphere in his hands stopped wavering then pulsed outwards blowing the flames away in an instant with his newfound power.

“Now Kouken Aura sphere and make it extra flashy,” shouted out Jason with a huge grin on his face as Kouken dropped the aura sphere he had been holding and then kicked it like it was a soccer ball sending it spinning across the field and impacting into Nova with a loud explosion that send the small chicken flying out the ring disqualifying it.

Kouken stood their staring at his paws which much larger then before and seemed to be overflowing with aura. Evolving made he fell like he had been reborn and more importantly he was no longer afraid of fire despite being weaker to it now then he had been in his previous form. He knew in his heart he could trust his trainer to make the right calls.

“Wow what a sudden turn a bout folks, I haven’t seen anything like it since that time in,” the commentator began to drone on as Jason walked over to Maria who was helping her Torchic back onto the stage.

“You alright?” he asked concerned about how she was going to take her loss.

“Are you kidding me? That was fantastic!” Maria exclaimed as she suddenly glomped him taking Jason by surprise. “I’ve seen you battle on tv before but it’s nothing compared to seeing it firsthand,” she said as she let go of her hug holding his shoulders at arm’s length as she stepped back.

“In my first contest I was too afraid I would lose again to really enjoy it even thought I ultimately won in the end. By the second the fear was gone but I was board because the girl I was up against was a push over making it too easy. This time even though I lost it was the most exciting contest I’ve ever had,” Maria explained before pausing for a second as she seemed to consider something.

Before she met Jason she had enjoyed watching contests but never enjoyed being in them. To enjoy them to the extent she had today. The way her heart had raced during the battle had been exhilarating. But how could she express those feelings to Jason especially with her heart pounding in her chest again only for a different reason this time. Blushing heavily Maria let her hold on Jason’s shoulder go and turned away, her fist clenched tightly in frustration at her own shyness and inability to put her feelings into words.

“Next time will be my victory! Until then don’t you dare lose a contest to anyone” she declared fiercely as she stormed off the stage leaving Jason to receive his prize. Jason grinned at her declaration feeling like he better not let her down, but determined to come out the winner in their inevitable rematch.