• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

COTD Screentime (Contains Spoilers)

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Throughout the entire course of the anime, we have a seen a plethora of Characters of the Day, COTDs for short. These are characters that have had a minimal amount of episodes; so minimal, in fact, that they hardly be considered minor characters. It first began with Samurai of the Viridian Forest, and now in the present day, we have over 500 COTDs logged in one way or another.

My question is this: which one, if any, of these characters do you think deserved more of a story in the anime? Should more episodes have been made to give these characters more personality or more of a impact onto the viewers? Can you think of any way how these characters could be presented more?

Please limit the characters to COTD's and, to an extent, minor characters and rivals. Do not list main characters, unless they could be used to expand the plot. Movie characters can be included as well.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Honestly, most of these filler characters are so paper-thin that I could shove them into a fax and print the words "INSIGNIFICANT" on them. And most one-offs that actually did make return appearances (Suzie, Aya, Duplica, Hoenn costume kid, etc.) were generally interesting enough to begin with that more material could be squeezed from them. Poorer examples would be PMC and that Plusle/Minun kid.

Who knows, they could have milked out another interesting episode with Professor Westwood or that Bagon chick from Hoenn, but I'm not losing sleep over never seeing the guy from the Wailmer island or any of his filler cohorts again.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
I felt most of the returning COTD's were pretty boring.

Duplica's whole plot was resolved, so they just made up another simmilar plot. Thatcher didn't do much in the Cheerleading episode, and Nicolai in the Zangoose episode really didn't do anything that any other filler character couldn't do.

And I have no clue why out of all the old characters the friggin PMC were the only ones who appeared in Hoenn. Like no other old characters did, AT ALL.

I really can't think of any COTDs offhand who had a plot that wasn't pretty much resolved. Even the cool memorable ones like Sullivan (a FISHING LEGEND!) and Old Man Sigourney would be pretty out of place popping up again.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I always liked Michelle from Hoenn, she had a Bagon. She had a neat design, and used a visor that let her predict the wind trajectory and the moves of her opponents, if I remember correctly. At the end of the ep her Bagon evolved into Shelgon. I would have liked to see her in the league with a Salamence, but I'm not that bothered by it.

I agree that most filler characters are generally one-note with a problem that's almost always resolved at the end of the episode anyway, so it doesn't matter.

If Holly counts though, I would like to see her again. She's not exactly a COTD but we don't know if she's a recurring character either. I'd like to see her and Brock go off into the sunset by the end of Sinnoh.

Heracross

Custom User Title
And I have no clue why out of all the old characters the friggin PMC were the only ones who appeared in Hoenn. Like no other old characters did, AT ALL.
Wataru/Lance.
I always liked Michelle from Hoenn, she had a Bagon. She had a neat design, and used a visor that let her predict the wind trajectory and the moves of her opponents, if I remember correctly. At the end of the ep her Bagon evolved into Shelgon. I would have liked to see her in the league with a Salamence, but I'm not that bothered by it.
Second. Michelle was awesome. It actually occured to me recently to have her appear in a fanfiction with a fully evolved dragon, but that would require me to actually follow through on an idea for once.

Aside from some of the people who Satoshi said he would meet again - Samurai and the likes - who rightfully should have appeared in the Battle Frontier, there are few who readily come to mind. Among those few, Rumika/Jessebelle is one who could provide a great deal of entertainment and possibly even some non-recycled plotlines. She even told Kojirou that she would follow him to the ends of the Earth, but a couple split-second flashbacks seem to be all the more following she will ever do.

Last edited:

DanChimchar

Friends are Diamonds
I find most of the COTW boarding but I have a couple, maybe that girl with the Epson Sakura or something like that. I would also love to see more of that one witch Lilly or something that turned ash into a Pikachu.
Those are really the only ones I would like to return plus the rivals. AKA Richie Morssion Harrission Guy with Mewoth and all ther others

OBSESSED WITH PKNM

I'M BACK...MISS ME?
Jessebell would be funny to see again. They brought her up in DP2 so who knows.

for some weird reason i fell like that will come back to hont james latter on...i can see an episode on that...yeah i now futer episode discussin...

but i thought that todd could have been seen again, he was pritty cool, even though he had no pknm, it was interesting to see him taking pictures and stuff.

and as said above duplica...yeah what more needs to be said...

Tom Nook

Feel free to browse
The trouble is with most COTD's is that they are deviod of any real noticable traits and are basically used to debut new Pokemon. Most people don't even use their names, they end up as Probopass Guy, Bellossum Girl, Surfing Rhydon Girl and so on. Personally I feel indiffernce towards most of them except for the few gems like Quackenpoker or the irritating ones like the aforementioned Surfing Rhydon Girl. Since they are only around for one episode it's unlikely they'll have unique traits like those on the main cast.

Of the ones who've reappeared none of them were anything special. Duplica was kinda random and Aya replaced the needed Janine appearence. In Hoenn only three reappeared with Plusle/Minun kid being boring, PMC being a shock and Lance adding nothing to the Groudon/Kyogre plot.

The only ones I'd really enjoy seeing again are those who relate to the characters storylines like Jessibelle and James parents. The others would probably lose their uniqueness in their second showing.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
They also brought back Sakura (the girl from Johto) for another episode and then a hoso special. She was alright and had an Espeon, but that was before we had May and Dawn to compare her too, so now she's bland.

I originally liked Sakura because all we had was Misty for 5 years, so seeing another girl starting out was refreshing at the time.

But looking back now she was kinda generic, and she would probably wind up being another girly coordinator if we ever saw her again. The writers love those stereotypes.

Heracross

Custom User Title
I always liked Sakura. It's true her character design was bland, but I found her interaction with Kasumi quite refreshing indeed. It was nice to see Kasumi not only bonding with someone other than a main cast member, but another girl at that. It just seemed so... natural. And goodness knows anyone or anything that gave Kasumi something meaningful to do in the Jouto saga is worthy of remembering, at least in my humble opinion.

Profesco

gone gently
Who knows, they could have milked out another interesting episode with Professor Westwood or that Bagon chick from Hoenn, but I'm not losing sleep over never seeing the guy from the Wailmer island or any of his filler cohorts again.

The Bagon girl was interesting. With her sleek outift, all-business attitude, and hi-tech visor equipment, she might as well be Pokemon Hunter J's precursordaughter, though.

I'm kind of partial to Nicolai the knickerbocker, but he isn't really special or interesting. And the birdkeeper Holly, too. I also always enjoy the prospect of costume-y fun that accompanies a Duplica appearance.

Hmm. I thought Seymour, from the Mt. Moon episode, was a pretty interesting guy, though he's certainly not worth bringing back. Or AJ and his tough Sandshrew- he was a character who wasn't exactly bad, but was certainly antagonistic to Ash.

Oh, and I miss Jigglypuff, of course.