• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Could a live action Pokemon movie be successful?

What do you think of my idea for a new take on a Pokemon film?

• Awesome! I'd love to see that!

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Pretty good, but would need work.

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • I wouldn't base it off the manga.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wouldn't want to see that. Let's leave Pokemon as it is.

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SCBoogie

i$e CreMe Man
I've thought about this a lot, and if you saw my recently posted idea for a game, it would be easy to understand that I've actually began scripting such a film. I'm not saying I'm the man for the job, but I do think it would be a great idea.

It doesn't necessarily have to be live action, or even a film for that matter, it could be animated, but the vision I have is simply more adult-oriented. Meaning, it wouldn't be aimed at the generation of kids buying Black and White as their first game, it would be aimed at the kids like me who grew up with Red, Blue, Gold and Silver, and are now adults.

For example, in the Pokemon Manga, the Pokemon world is thematically much darker. Team Rocket has a much more complex story, including corruption in the Elite 4, and the great story arc of The Masked Man, who ruled over the Rocket Empire between Giovanni and the Admins, and who ended up being none other than Pryce. If anything, I'd say that the story of Pryce and Celebi is more akin to what the creators had in mind then what actually comes out as the product marketed for children.

If it was me, I'd start with a film about Hoenn, then the famous story of Ash, then perhaps Sinnoh, or go straight from the Red story into the sequel, my favorite, the GS arc. Since there's so many chapters to the Pokemon saga, it could be a lucrative franchise in film in the vain of Star Wars, much like Pokemon is in child-oriented media. A more realistic, drama and story-driven take on Pokemon, full of tragedy, comedy, and of course, Team Rocket blasting off again.

If you're familiar with the manga, you will know what I'm talking about.

So the question is, do you guys think that my idea for a Pokemon film or series directed at the now-adult hardcore Pokemon fanbase is viable? Would you go see that in theatres?

EDIT: It does not have to be a live action film or series, I'm just asking if you guys think that something based off the Manga (which is much darker and would appeal to an older audience) would be viable. Again, I LOVEEEE the Masked Man arc in the GS chapter, and I think it would work in some form of televised or filmed media. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE LIVE ACTION. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ossus

Overseer
Would be tough for sure. If i would recommend anything, it would be the base story line from the Manga Red/Blue/Green and obviously work through the series in order accordingly . I think the world has had enough of ash for awhile haha, maybe a small cameo or quick reference for nostalgia effects of course. You've got the right idea though.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Given some of the crazy sh*t the Pokemon Special manga has pulled, this wouldn't be out of the question.

Though I'd rather see live action Zelda first.

BCVM22

Here's my question: why is it that every time this "idea" (loosely do I use the term) is brought up (and subsequently torn to threads until it sinks back to the depths, only to rise again months later, like bad Thai food), it's always associated with the words "more mature", "darker", "adult", "hardcore" and other terms to describe an audience that the franchise has never, once, ever targeted?

Why does "live-action" lead people to conceive an idea targeted at a minority that makes up but a tiny fraction of the total fanbase, and is nowhere near large enough to warrant any sole product aimed at them? Much less a project on the scale that a film would be.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Could you really bare seeing two hours worth of this?

As history has told us time and time again, video games to movies never, ever works well. Because of that, they have a terrible rep, and no one takes them even remotely seriously. Super Mario Bros, Doom, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, the list goes on, and it's not a pretty picture.

Sorry, but it's a definite NO on this one. The first bunch of animated Pokemon movies weren't respected in the theaters by the critics, and a live action one would be bashed to no end for many years to come. Even the Transformers movies, which I thought were generally well done for what they were working with (it's attempts at humor were ungodly awful and can't be forgiven, however), were disrespected and still remain as the laughing stock of the theaters and critics get all warm and fuzzy inside bashing it time and time again.

Sorry to say, but Pokemon don't really look too appealing when people try to make them look truly realistic (and it's very hard considering Pokemon are colored and proportioned in unrealistic ways, very unlike most normal realistic animals and creatures). Most Pokemon are very brightly colored, so when the natural, darker, gritty colors of realism come out and people with their Photoshop programs try making Pokemon look real, they just look ugly instead with their strange, unnatural proportions and foreign appearances that are trying to lean toward realism.

With that said, Pokemon should really be left alone.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
…a film from Michael Bay.

1-up music plays
RANK UP!

Last edited:

No. 1 Machop Fan

No-one on this forum approves of live-action movies, and the topic often results in flaming. I've seen it a lot before.

yeminied

Remember the Ruby and Sapphire commercials? With the real people playing around with anime drawn Pokemon. If they were ever going to make a live action Pokemon movie or whatever this is how they would do it. There's no way you can make Pokemon appear real, as stated above it's not possible to do it seriously.

But if they did it this way then I think it could work, they could make up a cool new story to suit for kids, because lets face it, a mature Pokemon anything will never happen. If they did something with cartoon Pokemon and real humans then I think it could be something really nice, pulling Pokemon out of the same boring old formula they've fallen into.

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
there are things only anime can portray.

so live action may not be more outstanding than anime movie ones.

It would work, if only you could get a decent director, actors, and pokemon costumes (it worked for the original star wars movies and Jurassic park)/ designs.

I'd see it then as long as the pokemon don't say their names

(P.S the legend of Zelda movie would be amazing but it would have to be a 2part/ 3 part movie by the same people as lord of the rings)

Last edited:

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
So the question is, do you guys think that my idea for a Pokemon film or series directed at the now-adult hardcore Pokemon fanbase is viable? Would you go see that in theatres?

No. I think that your idea is terrible for the pokémon series and I think that you don't fully understand just how the pokémon franchise works or who is the target audiences is.

Though I'd rather see live action Zelda first.

Never going to happen and that is a good thing.

(P.S the legend of Zelda movie would be amazing but it would have to be a 2part/ 3 part movie by the same people as lord of the rings)

No it wouldn't a Zelda movie would be terrible and wouldn't work since the game can not be translated into a movie very well.

Last edited:

Hywel

As long as there were enough explosions, lazers, and Sceptiles, it would be great.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
As long as there were enough explosions, lazers, and Sceptiles, it would be great.

No it would be awful and you should be ashamed for thinking it up.

Sound

No. Since everyone else has already said pretty much all my thoughts on this, I'll just leave it at this. In order to do this, tons of computer animation will have to be used. So much that it's simply unpratical for it to be live.

silverwolf922

U lieks Oshawott
A live action movie wouldn't work. And a movie with darker themes? Pokémon is a franchise meant for children, while there are some adult fans, we aren't the target audience for Nintendo/Game Freak. They're not going to cater to the wishes of a vary small portion of their fandom. And besides the charm in the Pokémon animé, and even the games, is how corny and childish it can be at times (at least it is for me, I'm not going to speculate on how the other fans feel).

No. I think that your idea is terrible for the pokémon series and I think that you don't fully understand just how the pokémon franchise works or who is the target audiences is.

Never going to happen and that is a good thing.

No it wouldn't a Zelda movie would be terrible and wouldn't work since the game can not be translated into a movie very well.

No I'd like to disagree and say it could work, but the fans will tear it to pieces even if it was a descent movie. People like you would never give it a chance. All you need is one decent director who actually understands the series 100%