• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Could a new Pokémon type be added?

keithpetrosky

Like they did with fairy in the past.

I was hoping for Light Pokémon, like we once saw in the Team Rocket TCG packs. To combat Dark Pokémon.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I would rather have a sound tyle which would be super effective against electric.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Could it? Yeah. Is it likey? I don't think so, not so recently after the introduction of Fairy (a type that, in my opinion, wasn't even necessary to begin with).

It's also worth pointing out that in Japanese, Dark type roughly translates to Evil type, representing mischief or dishonorable conduct. Fighting type represents honor, meaning Fighting is essentially the foil to Dark (hence why Dark is weak to Fighting). In other words, a Light/Dark dichotomy is a very western-centric way to look at it. Dark already has a counter type, so a Light type isn't necessary in that regard.

Orphalesion

Fairy pretty much covers the "holy" and "good" aspect of "Light" and is super effective against Dark (evil in Japanese) Especially with attacks like Dazzling Gleam and Moonblast. So once fairy showed up, any even remote chance for a Light type was axed.
I also think fairy did cover an aspect that was kinda missing in Pokemon (whimsy, magic, fairy tales, some low-key holiness that doesn't upset Westerners in that form)

But now? What's really left that is still missing in Pokemon, would fit into Pokemon and isn't covered by other types? I haven't really seen a convincing argument for a new type since Gen 6. In the last thread somebody suggested a Radiation/Mutation type centered around organisms developing mutation due to pollutants. And yeah, that might not be represented in Pokemon yet (at least not on a large scale).....but it also doesn't fit a series as optimistic as Pokemon.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I mean.... Sure we could.

But I certainly hope not. Honestly I feel like Fairy rounded things out nicely for possible types. I see no reason to add anything.

Now I wouldn't mind them changing one or two or three things if they want to rebalance.

DSDark

Breeder
Doubtful. New type are added when one type clearly dominates the metagame. Bug and dark were added when psychic was completely unbalanced. Fairy was added after dragon dominated. Right now there isn't a type that clearly dominates.

Could they change a type's effectiveness or weakness, definitely. They changed steel in gen 7.

It's more like to change some types effectiveness and weaknesses then to get a new type

JW1004

I hope not. I feel some of the current types we have could have better exploration, maybe even try to change the overall coverage chart for the excisting types with some reasoning rather than adding an other type for certain 'balance'. Like the Ice type could use a water resistance for example and some other tweaks.

DannyDiglett

I doubt they will introduce a new type in the future. The only possible new type I can imagine is the Cosmic type. A number of existing Pokémon that could qualify this type:

Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable
Lunatone
Solrock
Deoxys
Elgyem/Beheeyem
Minior
Cosmog/Cosmoem/Solgaleo/Lunala

The thing that still bothers me is that Electric has only one weakness: Ground. I think it needs one more weakness to make it less dominant. Just like they did with Fairy to Dragon.

Last edited:

Missingno.Fan

I don’t think they will add another type so soon after Fairy. If they were to come up with another type, I think Sound would work. I also think something like Science/Technology might work.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Doubtful. New type are added when one type clearly dominates the metagame. Bug and dark were added when psychic was completely unbalanced. Fairy was added after dragon dominated. Right now there isn't a type that clearly dominates.

Could they change a type's effectiveness or weakness, definitely. They changed steel in gen 7.

It's more like to change some types effectiveness and weaknesses then to get a new type
Bug was added???? What are you talking about? Bug has always been around. The typing in Gen 1 just wasn’t very good as a majority of the typing were part Poison and there were no strong Bug type moves that could cause major damage. Twineedle was one option but being Beedrill’s signature move it was unwise to rely on it. And Pin Missile Jolteon was the only viable option and that move was reliant on getting five hits and being lucky enough to happen before Alakazam or Mewtwo KO it. Steel was the other type added.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I doubt it. The game is very balanced now, although I personally think fire should be super effective against fairy. With stealth rock being so prominent, they could use some kind of boost.

Zaide

I doubt they will introduce a new type in the future. The only possible new type I can imagine is the Cosmic type. A number of existing Pokémon that could qualify this type:

Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable
Lunatone
Solrock
Deoxys
Elgyem/Beheeyem
Minior
Cosmog/Cosmoem/Solgaleo/Lunala

The thing that still bothers me is that Electric has only one weakness: Ground. I think it needs one more weakness to make it less dominant. Just like they did with Fairy to Dragon.
Do you even play competitively? In what world is electric dominant? There's like 4 electric types that are highly viable in OU in Zapdos, Magnezone, Rotom-Wash and Tapu Koko. And for Magnezone, it has a lot to do with its steel typing.

It is only weak to ground, but it also is one of the type with the least resistances with just 3. Offensively, it only hits super effectively against water and flying types, while being resisted by 4 types (including one immunity). Not to mention that ground type moves are extremely common amongst all Pokémon species (without even counting hidden power - earthquake alone is known by like over 200 species)

Electric is basically a "low risk, low reward" type. There's a reason u-turn is favored over volt switch on Pokémon with access to both. It doesn't need any change.

Acer11

I like the idea of both Light and Sound Types

I think Light would be effective against Dark, Ghost, and Poison types.

Don't know how Sound would be effective against.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I like the idea of both Light and Sound Types

I think Light would be effective against Dark, Ghost, and Poison types.

Don't know how Sound would be effective against.
Rock and Ground, maybe Ice? (What Sound could be good against.)

Guessing that Steel would be resistant to it.

As for Light type, you bring up some good examples.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Do you even play competitively? In what world is electric dominant? There's like 4 electric types that are highly viable in OU in Zapdos, Magnezone, Rotom-Wash and Tapu Koko. And for Magnezone, it has a lot to do with its steel typing.

It is only weak to ground, but it also is one of the type with the least resistances with just 3. Offensively, it only hits super effectively against water and flying types, while being resisted by 4 types (including one immunity). Not to mention that ground type moves are extremely common amongst all Pokémon species (without even counting hidden power - earthquake alone is known by like over 200 species)

Electric is basically a "low risk, low reward" type. There's a reason u-turn is favored over volt switch on Pokémon with access to both. It doesn't need any change.

I mean, you're right but your premise isn't. The reason Electric isn't dominant isn't because Electric is inherently a bad type, they're not dominant because frankly most Electric types suck. They generally either have weird stat spreads, such as very high Speed with the rest of their stats being rather low, or having high offensive stats but without enough Speed to back it up (such as Electivire), or are outclassed by other, more viable Electric types (Raikou and Jolteon, for example, would be better in a metagame without Koko and Mega Manectric overshadowing them. They aren't inherently bad Pokemon, there's just better options that overshadow them in nearly every way) The current metagame is also very hostile to Electric types with Grounds like Landorus-T and Garchomp and bulky Grasses like Ferrothorn and Tapu Bulu being dominant.

That being said, Electric is quite a solid type offensively. Bulky Waters such as Toxapex, Tapu Fini, Suicune, and Mega Gyarados and Flying types such as Celesteela and Tornadus-T are all common and relevant threats that Electric types can heavily pressure. It also has good coverage when paired with Ice or Fire moves (or both, such as in the case of Mega Manectric and Zapdos). It may not have many resistances, but that hardly matters for an offensive type.

Also I don't really wanna nitpick but I'm gonna do it anyways, the reason why Magnezone is viable hardly has anything to do with its Steel typing. Ironically it's because of Magnezone's ability to trap opposing Steel types such as Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Celesteela, removing them and paving the way for a teammate to sweep. If a better Magnet Pull user came along, Magnezone would severely drop in viability (even now, Scarf Alolan Golem has seen occasional use in OU as a means of trapping certain steels, including Heatran, which Magnezone can't effectively beat without gimping its ability to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor). Also, the reason why U-Turn is sometimes (not always) favored over Volt Switch is because it's almost exclusively used for pivoting anyways, and nothing is immune to U-Turn, compared to Ground types, Volt Absorb/Lightingrod users, etc. being immune to Volt Switch, meaning U-Turn is just a more consistent pivoting move that's harder to punish. Lastly Ground moves may be common, but again Electric is clearly a more offensively oriented type, and a massive Ground weakness hasn't stopped Heatran from being one of if not the best Pokemon in the modern OU metagame.

Aetius

I doubt it, but it would be nice if they decided to change the supereffectiveness of some types against each other.
That's just my wishful thinking though and I'm sure that it will never happen.
Still, it's nice to dream a little I suppose.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I doubt it, but it would be nice if they decided to change the supereffectiveness of some types against each other.
That's just my wishful thinking though and I'm sure that it will never happen.
Still, it's nice to dream a little I suppose.
Could u elaborate?

Aetius

Could u elaborate?

Maybe make Grass moves not very effective against Fairy types, sicne fairies are one with nature.
Ice types strong against Water types, since ice freezes water.
And then there others that I had in mind, but that right now are escaping my mind.