1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Could Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee's casual focus be a good thing for hardcore Pokemon fans?

Discussion in 'Let's Go, Pikachu & Eevee' started by shoz999, Aug 10, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

A common complaint among the more "hardcore" Pokemon fans who love that insane amount of post-game content, dedicated features to competitive, or among other things that increase a longevity of a Pokemon game from a month to possibly an year is the casualization of the main series in Gen 6. There have been instances of it showing up from time to time in previous generations but Generation 6 is usually the main focus on this, such as XY's strong lack of post-game content and ORAS's lack of a battle frontier are usually the main examples. GameFreak tried to change player's minds with Sun and Moon which had a far more tougher and easier in-depth focus in competitive experience (at the cost of getting rid of super training), added the Battle Tree which is declared as one of the hardest and most enjoyable post-game content by hardcore gamers, and a story that will leave a fantastic journey in your minds. With the expansion, they only doubled up the content with fanservice (Episode Rainbow Rocket), move tutor moves, and the fact that you can capture all legendaries. Gen 7 is sort of a callback to the hardcore post-game content that many fans feel like was missing in Gen 6.

Now Pokemon Let's Go is out and many of those hardcore Pokemon fans that have been with the series a long time are confused and worried that this is "casualization" to the extreme. The seemingly lack of a real post-game mode as evident with the lack of a Sevii Isles (such as Moltres appearing in the Victory Road instead of Mt. Ember), the simplification of both battling and capturing, in fact the game seems to be a adventure more focused on capturing a 151 Pokemon than actually battling at all, and the more streamlined CP system. Personally, after seeing all the trailers, I'm excited and now thinking about it, could this casualization be a good thing?

As in, is this GameFreak's answer to attracting casual fans to the Let's Go series while amping up hardcore features to the extreme in the main series like they did with BW2 or GS. Do you think this is what GameFreak is aiming for, creating two main series, one made for casuals and the other made for long-time traditional Pokemon fans who enjoy that hardcore longevity experience. I'm talking about all the annoying lack of post-game content in Gen 6 for the casual audience, that's now all moved to the Let's Go series and all that hardcore post-game content you loved in the Battle Frontier, the World Tournament, the Gym Leader Castles, the Sevii Isles, that will be maintained and even possibly see advances greatly in the main series in the upcoming feature. This means that GameFreak doesn't have to worry about pleasing both the casual and hardcore audience in one main series, because they've created two separate main series that both can enjoy. That means we will get to see more Battle Frontiers, more World Tournaments and etc in upcoming games. Do you think this is GameFreak's answer to wanting to attract more casuals by keeping up with trends while also keeping long-time hardcore fans satisfied through two different series that can possibly progress in two different paths? If so, are you excited for this possibility, that GameFreak will keep out the Gen 6 casualization (specifically the lack of a post-game) out of future main series installments?

2. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Well-Known Member

I don't really understand the premise. Kicking out the Battle Spot isn't benefiting casuals or new players at all, there isn't really much reason to do so other than GameFreak just not being willing to dedicate server space for it. Similarly, keeping in a Battle Tree or a Battle Spot isn't hindering casuals or new players, they don't have to play those parts. Post-game is by definition after the main story and optional.

Xuxuba likes this.
  3. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

What I'm saying is, for one main series (let's go), GameFreak could focus on chasing random casual trends they think will attract new fans to the casuals. For the other main series, GameFreak could continue on advancing many easy-to-learn but hard to master features without letting the idea of appealing to casual audiences get to there heads too much. That means we will get our "6th-gen" style casual games on one end but we will also get our traditional Pokemon games that have tons of of unique features and even advancements in post-game content. Remember now. When I say "casual" I don't meant what you or I think are casual, I'm talking about what GameFreak thinks is casual. I personally think Let's Go isn't casual for similar reasons but GameFreak thinks the opposite, thinks that taking away the wild battles is not taking away the fun but rather just a simplification of catching wild Pokemon. This is the same GameFreak who also claims that they got rid of the Battle Frontier because they thought that it wouldn't appeal to casuals and would be a waste of time. This is GameFreak's point of view, not necessarily ours. To us, taking away the battle spot is anti-casual. To GameFreak, taking the battle spot is simplification which equals casual. GameFreak constantly worries about ways to attract the casual audience that they are willing to make a lot of questionable choices. What if those questionable choices to appeal to casuals were only in one main series, the Let's Go main series, and they put aside those questionable decisions out of the main traditional series and focus on developing their vision of the Pokemon world, from competitive to post-game content? See where I'm going at with this?

Let's Go = GameFreak's vision of attracting a casual audience.
    8th gen installments = GameFreak focusing on expanding the Pokemon World without having to worry about casual trends.

From this, this could be a good thing for all parties, including GameFreak. GameFreak wouldn't have to constantly worry about nitpicking casual trends in the main series and focus building the worlds they want, Pokemon fans would get better quality games that don't necessarily cater casuals all the way but rather has something for everyone, the Let's Go series could possibly attract a new surplus of fans. Basically this could be a win-win for everyone.

4. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Liking battle facilities has nothing to do with being "hardcore".

Some people just don't like wi-fi battles for various reasons. I know i hate the lag and i hate having to wait for my opponent to chose a move.
    Nonetheless, i still want to battle even after i am done with the main story (which isn't even that long tbh, at least for most cases). The battle facilities offer me not only that but also ingame rewards.

Does that mean i am a hardcore player? Hell no. Battles that are extremely hard get on my nerves. That is why i disliked the Battle Tree and preferred more moderate facilities like the Maison, the Battle Arcade, the pwt and etc.
    Also, some variety is appreciated, since playing the same type of battles over and over again gets tiring.

5. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

True but when people talk about the "hardcore" audience, they generally mean long-time fans or simply anything that's not casual. That's why I put quotations marks over the hardcore word as I don't think it's an accurate depiction of anyone else who doesn't' fit the casual image, who just plays Pokemon for a week and leaves it in the dust. I suppose traditional fans would be a better word for the other audience that GameFreak envisions to keep happy in their minds? What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Oh i assumed that you meant hardcore players as the gamers who enjoy extremely hard stuff and not as people who play the game often.

In that case, i think the word hardcore is actually better than tradional fans, even though hardcore can also mean something else, but i think both words are valid.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  7. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical Optimist

Honestly as of yet, this game seems like it's right in line with how the trend of getting easier and easier in the games has been. It feels like LGP are right in line, and then the new pokemon game in 2019 will be the stand out by them going the opposite route and making it more technical.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  8. furyfairyeryn

furyfairyeryn Member

I think the most likely thing is that LGPE will serve as the entry level tutorialized handholdy intro game, and after that's over, Gen 8 will be free to continue in the direction of Gen 7 by featuring harder required encounters with enemies, and might finally go beyond even that and include some really challenging dungeons or caves and more.