• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Could May/Dawn/Serena have become Top Coordinators by now?

Could May/Dawn/Serena have won a Grand Festival by now?

• Yeah

Votes: 41 93.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I don't think Serena needs to win a grand festival but I can see her making it to the top 8, maybe the top 4.

wellwellwells

Imagine if the Kalos Queen Serena makes a special presentation in the PWC final between Ash and Leon

Serena’s Half Time Show lol

OT: May was already pretty famous when she got the the Wallace cup (remember her being called “The Princess of Hoenn” and her team is filled with powerhouses except Skitty. We don’t know about Dawn reaching that fame and her team is somewhat weaker but she did make it to the finals so she probably could too.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
May and Dawn yes; May was basically treated like and felt like one by the time of her DP return while Dawn got very close on her first attempt. Serena shouldn’t though. She just got into Contests and I have a hard time believing someone who couldn’t win a single battle officially could become a Top Coordinator so quickly (not a knock on her, it’s just a fact that her battling fears are not extraordinary).

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Just a reminder that Contest battles are not literal battles, they're a showcase of making your Pokemon look good and stylish, while making the opponent's look bad. Not straight out trying to knock each other out in a show of strength or strategy. Knocking out the opponent is optional but going about doing that can be tricky and often cost your own self points for being mundane. It's with these points in mind that I can see her performing well in Contests (and their battles) too.
Then Serena would have to come up with great combinations to strictly win points without putting up a straight up battle. Most of her Showcases used the same elements (fire fire stone edge fairy wind fire fire). She’d have to develop way better movesets and combinations.

Eneci

FrogadierMasterLucas
I really hope they give them the due respect, especially May. They could maybe do an arc with a Top Coordinator GF to promote Sinnoh remakes.
We shall see. Iris was always a writers favorite imo and her getting Champion status was a wrong decision imo. Feels to random, especially considering how she lost today.
I will just be happy to see May and Dawn appear in the anime again.

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
that's obvious, Serena is like Dawn or May but more prepared when she arrive to Hoenn, If Dawn could make it to the final of her first GF, then Serena can win it

Serena reached the runner up place of Master Showcase even if she never battled during her participations in Showcases in Kalos. On the hand, May and Dawn arrived in the semi finals/finals by performing and battling. So, I doubt Serena can win one yet, but May and Dawn sure can. They might return as Too Coordinators.

Also, an idea, just like PWC there can an World Wallace Cup Competition.

I miss contests.

Serena reached the runner up place of Master Showcase even if she never battled during her participations in Showcases in Kalos.
-And that gives her an advantage, she already has previous experience in showcases that would be equivalent to the first round of Contests.
-She already has more battle experience than Rookie Dawn
-Dawn reached the GF finals and was about to win it, why can't Serena?

Lmao, as I said before, the difference between Serena and Dawn / May is that the first one will start with more preparation, not being a rookie, she only has to improve in battles, it's funny because Serena started the same way as Dawn, saved from a pack of critters by her Pokemon

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
Imo Iris being champion doesn't sound credible, but don't care much. If ash beats her would be absurd for me, although I don't like Iris very much so I would just let it pass.

Although Serena always canceled her battles, she has already had experience fighting as against the Gallade oldman, TR, vs Ash, vs Aria And I remember in the last episodes of XYZ she had improved a little in that aspect.

AG001-AG120 May result : top 8 in Hoenn GF , she started as a rookie who didn't know anything about contest.

XY147-JN??? Serena comes to Hoenn as a very experienced girl,

I mean, May could get into the best positions in GF after a long road, why Serena with more experience than AG001 May couldn't win the GF?

It would be impressive, but not unreal.
It’s not experience if you don’t actually finish the thing...That’s like me saying I have experience in basketball even if I quit practice halfway through all the time. Doesn’t work like that.

Iris was raised by a gym leader. She knows how the league gig works. And she was definitely always one of the strongest battlers of Ash’s companions. She competed in plenty of tournaments. She has experience. Her being the Unova Champion is entirely believable.

Serena has experience in showcases. Not in contests or battling. In contests, the audience doesn’t have any say, it’s the judges. That already makes them two entirely different things, even for the appeal section of contests.

Saying Serena would do better than rookie May because she already has “experience” has already been disproven in the show itself.

Ash had experience as a trainer too. But in both official contests he competed in (Terracotta was unofficial), he only got to the quarterfinals.

Serena winning a GF from where we saw her last makes absolutely no sense when you take into account where we left off with her character.

It’s not experience if you don’t actually finish the thing...That’s like me saying I have experience in basketball even if I quit practice halfway through all the time. Doesn’t work like that.

Iris was raised by a gym leader. She knows how the league gig works. And she was definitely always one of the strongest battlers of Ash’s companions. She competed in plenty of tournaments. She has experience. Her being the Unova Champion is entirely believable.

Serena has experience in showcases. Not in contests or battling. In contests, the audience doesn’t have any say, it’s the judges. That already makes them two entirely different things, even for the appeal section of contests.

Saying Serena would do better than rookie May because she already has “experience” has already been disproven in the show itself.

Ash had experience as a trainer too. But in both official contests he competed in (Terracotta was unofficial), he only got to the quarterfinals.

Serena winning a GF from where we saw her last makes absolutely no sense when you take into account where we left off with her character.
I mean if Ash practiced for the first round of contests the rest would be a piece of cake as with Pikachu he can weaken almost any opponent, that's one of my big complaints with contests.

Sorry friend but I think your argument is somewhat silly, nothing prevents Serena from gradually improving in the battles as she advances in the contests, she already had battles in Kalos, now she just has to practice in the same way as Dawn. .

It is much more credible that Serena won a GF considering that the previous pokegirls started with much less experience than her and went very far, that Iris won the league, defeated the Elite Four that have crushed Ash, and beaated the Champion of the Region. , who is supposed to have the same battle skills as Diantha or Cynthia, who crushed Paul.

Also, Im happy that Iris is Unova Champion, I just use her as an example to show that Pokegirls can also advance a lot

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
Just a reminder that Contest battles are not literal battles, they're a showcase of making your Pokemon look good and stylish, while making the opponent's look bad. Not straight out trying to knock each other out in a show of strength or strategy. Knocking out the opponent is optional but going about doing that can be tricky and often cost your own self points for being mundane. It's with these points in mind that I can see her performing well in Contests (and their battles) too.
Interesting... it would be nice to see Goh try his hand at them at least once. They are likely more his speed than regular battles.

Did any Brock try contests, or just Ash?

Decidueye23

Well Serena would do good in the appeal rounds. The battle rounds no idea. She doesnt need to become a Top coordinator. Was never her goal. learning from Contests would help her be a better performer, why do people seem to forget that?
I mean Iris's goal was also never about becoming the champion but here we are. If Iris became a champion, then i dont see why serena cant become a Top Co-ordinator, but i would rather She becomes Kalos Queen, as that was her Goal

Leonhart

Imagineer
I mean if Ash practiced for the first round of contests the rest would be a piece of cake as with Pikachu he can weaken almost any opponent, that's one of my big complaints with contests.
But we saw in many instances that simply having strong moves doesn't win Contests, because the battle round judged more than just raw power.

And I'm aware that Satoshi still did pretty well when he competed in Contests a couple of times, but even if he'd used Pikachu in all of them, it's unlikely that he would've been able to win five ribbons by relying on just Pikachu given that he's never been able to sweep an entire region's Gym line-up with just Pikachu, either.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Serena has two things standing in her way when it comes to being a Coordinator. First, her appeals. I really don’t know how she kept getting away with reusing the Flamethrower/Stone Edge/Dark Pulse/Swift combo with very minimal changes for what felt like every Performance Round. It doesn’t help that this issue was never brought up and Serena’s creativity never challenged (which could’ve resulted in good growth for her character). Her team also didn’t learn new moves unless they evolved; they were just stuck with what they had. With this constant repetition, Contest judges would not be impressed.

Second, Contest battles. I’m fully aware Contest battles aren’t like regular battles; the point is that Serena, having never won a battle, can’t just appeal her way through. There’s strategy involved and even though the point isn’t to KO, there’s still dodging and attacking. She’s done decently well in battles and would probably be decent here again, but she lacks the proper experience to outmaneuver an opponent and win, especially with the added rules.

When she comes back I hope they address this in some way. An update on her Contest career and how she’s getting along; would be nice.

Last edited: