• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Could Paul be scared of Ash?

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Ok think about it. Paul went the places as Ash (minus the oragne islands.) Heres the deal though What if Ash and Paul were in the same league (maybe kanto or Johto. What if Ash got higher status then Paul. Then Paul kept learning of Ash's success as a trainer and grew too dislike him more and more. When they meet in Sinnoh Paul feels just hate towards Ash due too him being scared of Ash's skills. Now I know Paul has beat Ash but Ash is useing a team he just got in that region while Paul is useing a mixed region team. Could he be scared for the final battle at the league? Or scared Ash could call over his "Oaked" pokemon too school him in the league?

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Ok think about it.

Wow, I thought this was gonna be the first thing said in this thread. No offense.

Maybe intimidated, but not exactly scared, if you ask me.

ShiroRingo

Ritual Fire Dance!!
You do realize this is Ash we're talking about right? (This isn't me hating on him but this is me taking a look at his character) If think back at numerous points in the series, that one Sizor trainer with a lap top in the jhoto saga who watched Ash's Kanto League battles on the internet didn't seem that scared of him. Also numerous other characters acknowledged Ash's skill or luck in battles but they still battled him like he was any other trainer.

In all honesty, I think Paul is just annoyed at him. I'd be annoyed too if a guy keeps bugging me over and over on how I train. You mean imagine this...

Me: I don't chain breed pokemon, EV train, or check natures, I just look for appropriate move set.

Other guy: OMG YOU SUCK!

Me: *annoyed*

Also, Paul's dislike also might stem from different beliefs. After all, not all the time people are flexible when it comes to accepting another's beliefs.

Squaaah

Nobody is scared from nobody.

I dunno, I'm quite scared of Kim Jon-il.

But when Ash and Paul first met didn't Paul treat him sort of ok? Wasn't he just like "Hey are you a trainer? Lets battle" then Ash started rubbing him the wrong way and Paul got annoyed. If Paul was scared I dont think he would have challenged Ash to a battle when he first met him.

You do raise an interesting point about the possibility of them being in the same league though! Has it been confirmed that Paul did them in the same order as Ash? Cus it could just be that they did the same regions but at different times.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
You raise an interesting point but there is no way Paul is afraid of Ash. Paul might be feeling somewhat insecure after his loss to brandon, then his battle aginst ash, which was pretty close despite it being 2-6 in favor of Paul. Scared is just the wrong choice of words, but I think you're on the right track.

lucatio

cat lover 4 ever
well paul just might be scared by ash for wining a few battles but may be not he has won a few times to but it could be ash what is scared but i'm just going to say that paul could be scared by ash.

sorry if it does not make sense.

Jun's Heracross

Battle Ace
It's a bit hard to be scared of a little boy with a red cheeked mouse on his shoulder, but i don't think he even knew about ash until then or he would of been more eager to battle ash in the beginning.

Alloute

Not Banned
Haha, not unless Ash was possesed again.

Paul is rarely ever surprised though.

Zatch 89

No I don't think Paul is scared just annoyed. Ash is like a catholic trying to shove his pokemon training beliefs down Muslim Pauls throat.

Dracomaster16

Storm Trainer
Yeah... right. Paul is in no way afraid of ash because to me, he's like Silver in G/S. He always calls the player weak and insults him all the time, even though he ALWAYS loses. Maybe Paul can be battled by a Lance-type guy (before all of you start saying, "he battled Brandon", think; Did that REALLY make him change?) His *** needs to be kicked so bad, that Ash feels sorry for him in order for Paul to change into a better person. But, before that happens, he will always keep insulting Ash and think he's superior.

glowing_light010

•chℓoε•
He probably wouldn't be scared unless Ash's team was along these lines:
Pikachu
Squirtle
Sceptile
Charizard
Pidgeot
Heracross/Snorlax

Otherwise, I don't think Paul is all that concerned.

ijea4444

There is no way hes getting his oaked/kanto starter pokemon untill the next filler saga, he is going to pull of the same thing he did in Hoenn, so stop bringing it up.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Paul is a pretty cool guy. He calls people pathetic and doesn't afraid of anything.

I thought that applied pretty much here. Like the majority of people Ash comes across Paul didn't know who Ash was when he first met and battled him. He probably still doesn't know the extent of his success beyond what Ash and people who have met Ash told him. Even if he does come to terms with it I doubt it'll change his opinion on Ash much. He pretty much cemented that he has a better strategy then Ash at this point. Whether or not that will change is yet to be seen.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
No, I just think that Paul gets angry and annoyed with Ash because he's all for caring about your Pokémon and bonding with them, whereas Paul treats them like minions.

Brumrha

Banned
Ash scaring Paul?? You got to be joking.

Paul has just brutalized Ash's entire team, while only taking two losses; he sure as hell isn't going to be afraid of him now. Matter of fact, it should be the other way around.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Read this post by thunderblade12 before you start ranting about Paul being the Alpha and the Omega again.

In the other thread I posted a comparison between Ash and Paul's pokemon. This is a list of attacks they took during the battle in DP131 and DP132 before fainting. It really speaks for the pokemon's endurance IMO. Look at how many super effective and powered up hits Staraptor took before finally fainting.

Ash's Pikachu(Faint)
Rock tomb
Hammer arm
Hammer arm(This one was powered up by Ursaring's guts ability)
Note: Hurt by burn 5 times

Pikachu took was afflicted by the burn 5 times and took two powerful blows from Ursaring and Magmortar. It took a powered up hammer arm to finally KO it

Ash's Staraptor(Faint
Stone edge(Super effective)
2 Blizzard(Super effective)
Metal claw(Powered up by swords dance)
Focus blast
Slash(powered up by bulk up)
Hammer arm(powered up by bulk up)
Note: Recoil from brave bird twice

I won't even comment, this thing's a beast.

Ash's Grotle(Faint)
2 Night slash
Sky attack(Super effective)
Note: Healed by synthesis

Honestly not that impressive considering it healed a little with synthesis after being attacked by the two night shades. However, sky attack is a VERY powerful attack, synthesis probably didn't completely heal Grotle, and it was super-effective so I can sort of see why it fainted.

Ash's Buizel(Faint)
Smog
Slash(powered up by bulk up)
Hammer arm(powered up my bulk up)
Focus blast

Pretty good honestly. It took some powered up attacks before fainting.

Ash's Chimchar/Monferno(Faint)
Stone edge(Super effective)
Slash(powered up by Ursaring's guts ability)
2 thunderbolts
Thunderpunch

Same as Buizel

Ash's Gliscor(Faint)
Crunch
Giga drain
Frenzy plant

Pretty good. Frenzy plant is exaggeratedly powerful in the anime

Paul's Torterra(Extremely tired)
2 X-scissor(Super effective)
Fire fang(Super effective)
Steel wing
Flamethrower(Super effective. Weakened by light screen)
Note: Healed by giga drain but still tired after battle with Gliscor

Paul's Ursaring(Faint)
Aqua jet(Weakened by bulk up)
Improvised move: Rebounded focus blast(Super effective)
Sonic boom
Aerial ace(weakened by bulk up)
Quick attack
Iron tail
Thunderbolt
2 flamethrowers
Dig
Note: This thing must be hacked or some crap

Paul's Weavile(Faint)
Quick attack
Close combat(4X effective)
Brave bird

Paul's Honchkrow(Healthy)
Energy ball(Not very effective and weakened by light screen)
Rock climb

Paul's Electabuzz(Extremely tired)
Energy ball(Weakened by light screen)
2 Mach punch
Dig(Super effective)
Flame wheel

Paul's Magmortar(Somewhat tired)
Quick attack
Iron tail(Not very effective)
Aqua jet(Super effective)

OBSESSED WITH PKNM

I'M BACK...MISS ME?
yeah ashs pknm are something ot be afraid of when you look at the niddy griddy, but i would never think that paul is afraid of ash, i think he just hates him, since he is so well known and has done things that not even his own brother (regi) could do. but he acts like he's just some kid that still has problems with controling and training his pknm...

i think that he just hates how he acts so childish and yet he acts so weak...

i really wont to see paul meet all of ashs other pknm and see how powerful they are...

catzeye

Writer's Block
No Paul is not afraid of him.

After nice wipeout he did with Ash's team, Paul has no reason to be afraid.

If anyone who is afraid it would probably be Ash. Unless Paul gets a glimpse of the likes of Charizard or Sceptile or Pikachu (when the writers let him show off his strength), he won't be the least bit intimidated. Even when Ash beats him in battle (unless the writers decide to have him lose) I doubt he would be scared. Just doesn't sound like Paul.