• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Could Snorlax ever replace Pikachu?

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
Like, i know this a dumb thread but this has been bugging me for a few days now. If we were in a world when Snorlax was the mascot of Pokémon, would you be against it or would you like it?

I just see that Snorlax has a few features that could make it a mascot, like:

1. It being a quite iconic Pokemon from Gen 1
2. It being marketable. Like seriously, who would be against having a huge Snorlax pillow?
3. It being quite a simple Pokemon when it comes to design, it is just a big cat, kinda like Pikachu just being a yellow mouse.

Those were just some thoughts i have,

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I fully support and appreciate this notion! Also, I thought Snorlax was more of a bear than a cat. Still infinitely better than Pikachu. Plus, it’s bulky.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
I fully support and appreciate this notion! Also, I thought Snorlax was more of a bear than a cat. Still infinitely better than Pikachu. Plus, it’s bulky.
Well, Snorlax's ears look more cat-like if you ask me.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Don't even think about it. Pikachu has been a mascot for years and is literally in every smash bros game. If anything only Eevee would ever take the spotlight. Otherwise there wouldn't be any Lets's Go Eevee game.....although the let's go games are terrible.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pikachu becomes a driver in a Super Mario Kart 10 game or even the next Mario Party title.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Snorlax will never replace Pikachu as the mascot of Pokémon but it could become one of the secondary mascots with Charizard, Eevee, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Lucario, Mew, Clefairy, Ditto, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Togepi, Psyduck, Magikarp/Gyrados, Meowth, Mimikyu, and Wobbuffet. They are often used for official artwork and licensed plushies and are the most recognizable Pokémon right after the Pikachu line. And in terms of having a Cat Pokémon mascot for the franchise to act as the counterpart to Pikachu, we already have Meowth which is perfect as it is.

Snorlax will never replace Pikachu as the mascot of Pokémon but it could become one of the secondary mascots with Charizard, Eevee, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Lucario, Mew, Clefairy, Ditto, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Togepi, Psyduck, Magikarp/Gyrados, Meowth, Mimikyu, and Wobbuffet. They are often used for official artwork and licensed plushies and are the most recognizable Pokémon right after the Pikachu line. And in terms of having a Cat Pokémon mascot for the franchise to act as the counterpart to Pikachu, we already have Meowth which is perfect as it is.
Greninja, Ditto and Psyduck?

Nyter

Island Challenger
No one will ever come close to what Pikachu is. We would have to restart our universe and shift the path by changing the decision to Snorlax for Snorlax to become the mascot of Pokemon.

Only thing I could see how Snorlax is the mascot of something and not have Pikachu anywhere near it is if the Pokemon Company produce sleep products such as (mentioned before) Snorlax pillow, or nighttime facial creams, etc.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I would argue it already has. There’s a ton of Snorlax merch usually peppered with generic slogans about laziness - “I’d rather be sleeping” or “Not interested”. It’s even creeping into mainstream stores like Target.

I wouldn’t mind seeing more, minus the cheesy quotes. He’s basically the Pokemon version of Totoro :)

Heck yes lol. They’re all over the merchandise.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Ditto has a lot of plushies to the point that there are memes of these plushies being placed next to other plushies of the Pokémon it is imitating. Greninja is the most popular Gen VI Pokémon and has been featured on a bunch of official artwork in recent years. And Psyduck has always been popular mostly because of Misty’s and has been part of many officially licensed Pokémon merchandise including those onesies suit with hood, slippers, a Funko POP, phone cases, figures, and even a Mighty Beanz. Psyduck is also used heavily in Pokémon related media and was heavily considered to be the Partner Pokémon instead of Eevee in the Let’s Go games but was dropped to avoid having two yellow Pokémon on the game box artwork.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Psyduck has always been popular mostly because of Misty’s and has been part of many officially licensed Pokémon merchandise including those onesies suit with hood, slippers, a Funko POP, phone cases, figures, and even a Mighty Beanz. Psyduck is also used heavily in Pokémon related media and was heavily considered to be the Partner Pokémon instead of Eevee in the Let’s Go games but was dropped to avoid having two yellow Pokémon on the game box artwork.
And Psyduck got another boost because of the Detective Pikachu movie.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
No one will ever come close to what Pikachu is. We would have to restart our universe and shift the path by changing the decision to Snorlax for Snorlax to become the mascot of Pokemon.

Only thing I could see how Snorlax is the mascot of something and not have Pikachu anywhere near it is if the Pokemon Company produce sleep products such as (mentioned before) Snorlax pillow, or nighttime facial creams, etc.
Yeah, odd that it isn't the mascot of Pokemon Sleep.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
Well originally clefairy was supposed to be the mascot of the franchise, but then decided on pikachu cause I guess they considered its appeal more universal; i.e. a pink fairy wasn’t gonna appeal to young boys (Pokémon’s target demo), but pikachu could.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
I always thought that Snorlax was more of a meme than a universally liked Pokemon. I'd rather see Eevee or Clefairy replace Pikachu as the mascot of the franchise but that's not happening either.

eevees become a pseudo mascot; after all in lets go it’s alongside pikachu as the Pokemon on the box. But the only ones imo that could be what I call “mascotmons” would be Pokemon that are small and cutesy (like pikachu and eevee) or ones that give off an aura of bad***ery (like Charizard or mewtwo)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I like Kabigon (Snorlax) quite a bit, although I don't consider it to be as popular as other Gen I species such as Mewtwo or Lizardon (Charizard). So while the idea of Kabigon being the mascot in place of Pikachu sounds intriguing, I'm pretty sure that Mewtwo or Lizardon would have a better chance of becoming mascots before an oversized sleeping bear Pokemon.

BobbbidyBob

I love this question! I wish it could come true....I mean Pikachu seems to represent those hyperactive children being a hyper rat and all with sonic moves, plus Ash....so with Snorlax some of us (me) could get a chance to “feel supported” in a superficial way lol maybe the anime comes up with a lazy protagonist that sleeps or daydreams all day and bonds with a Snorlax and who doesn’t want that? (I would want that, to be specificXD)