• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Could someone maybe please give me a quick catch-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewGuy

I've been kind of out of it for a while, but my interest has been piqued with this Dawn/Piplup return and Cynthia and stuff. I even went back and watched The Best Episode Ever™ (DP188) in original Japanese to get hyped again. That Infernape/Electivire bit with Type:Wild is just the best sequence in Pokemon history...

But I digress. I know some things but there's a couple of things I'm a little confused on.

-So Ash won his 8th badge today from one of the new gym leaders, how did he end up there? Was it ever mentioned that he was going to challenge Drayden instead, or did they play it off like this was the "plan" all along?

-Ash is set to meet up with Dawn/Piplup and Cynthia, because Dawn/Piplup are going to a tournament of some kind in Lacunosa, yes? If Dawn is taking part in the tournament, has she given up on contests or something?

-Has the result of her travels to other regions been mentioned at all (she was going to Johto, right?)?

-Has Brock been mentioned (it's a long shot)?

-If the prize for winning the tournament is to battle Alder, then what's the point of the league?

-The league is in 3 months, right? Has it been revealed where it is? Is that "3 months" going to be spent in the Eastern half of Unova?

-Does it look like that blasted Oshawott might evolve at some point soon? I wanted that thing to really develop and become Ash's "strong Pokemon" from this region (like Sceptile and Infernape).

-Same question with Axew, though I find that considerably less likely, despite like the fourth or fifth episode foreshadowing an evolution.

Sorry for being a pain.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The answer to all your questions is, "yes."

Everything is obvious. League is in 3 months (in anime time), and Dawn/Piplup might reveal Ash's past to Iris.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Some of these questions weren't actually answered, so here we go:

I've been kind of out of it for a while, but my interest has been piqued with this Dawn/Piplup return and Cynthia and stuff. I even went back and watched The Best Episode Ever™ (DP188) in original Japanese to get hyped again. That Infernape/Electivire bit with Type:Wild is just the best sequence in Pokemon history...

But I digress. I know some things but there's a couple of things I'm a little confused on.

-So Ash won his 8th badge today from one of the new gym leaders, how did he end up there? Was it ever mentioned that he was going to challenge Drayden instead, or did they play it off like this was the "plan" all along?

-Ash is set to meet up with Dawn/Piplup and Cynthia, because Dawn/Piplup are going to a tournament of some kind in Lacunosa, yes? If Dawn is taking part in the tournament, has she given up on contests or something?

-Has the result of her travels to other regions been mentioned at all (she was going to Johto, right?)?

-Has Brock been mentioned (it's a long shot)?

-If the prize for winning the tournament is to battle Alder, then what's the point of the league?

-The league is in 3 months, right? Has it been revealed where it is? Is that "3 months" going to be spent in the Eastern half of Unova?

-Does it look like that blasted Oshawott might evolve at some point soon? I wanted that thing to really develop and become Ash's "strong Pokemon" from this region (like Sceptile and Infernape).

-Same question with Axew, though I find that considerably less likely, despite like the fourth or fifth episode foreshadowing an evolution.

Sorry for being a pain.

1. Ash was first told to go to Opelucid City by Brycen, but a couple of episodes later, he learned that the Opelucid Gym was closed and went to Virbank City instead. Drayden has never actually been confirmed to be a Gym Leader in anime canon, in fact, and he is present alongside Shizui (the new Water-type Gym Leader), Caitlin, Cynthia and Alder in the OP for Best Wishes! Season 2.

2. It is unclear why Dawn is entering the World Tournament Junior Cup, but there is no reason to think she quit Contests. She had a history of dabbling in battles (see Veilstone Gym) so most likely she's merely doing it on Cynthia's invite.

3. She went to Hoenn, and her current status is presently unknown. None of her Pokemon have evolved except Cyndaquil, which evolved in the special episode that has not nor likely ever will air in the dub, so her return episode will be the first time Quilava is officially seen outside Japan.

4. Brock has not been mentioned, but Tracey was briefly mentioned in BW047, the first episode of the Battle Subway two-part special, by Professor Oak. He was being called over to speak to Ash via videophone but the connection was severed by Team Rocket's Dr. Zager before he appeared.

5. The terms for the battle with Alder from the World Tournament Junior Cup have not been explained yet. I personally theorize it may be a way to force N in without disrupting the League directly - we know Ash is getting a new rival in the tournament.

6. The location of the League is currently unknown. Right now we know nothing beyond the Onix Island episode.

7. Oshawott hasn't made all that much noticeable progress. He beat Clay's Krokorok at Driftveil Gym, but hasn't made too many terribly important appearances since.

8. Axew's evolution was stated to not be likely anytime soon by Masaki Iwane on his blog.

Hope this helped.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Keep in mind the Junior tournament is happening soon. I don't think it'll be longer than the Don battle tournaments though, probably around 4 episodes.

I think it was confirmed Iris and Cilan are entering too.

According to the Dawn's serebii profile for Best Wishes 2, She goes to East Unova in order to keep training to be the best Co-ordinator in the world.

TheNewGuy

Ah.

Thanks a lot TGB, that was really helpful.

3. She went to Hoenn, and her current status is presently unknown. None of her Pokemon have evolved except Cyndaquil, which evolved in the special episode that has not nor likely ever will air in the dub, so her return episode will be the first time Quilava is officially seen outside Japan.

Wait, those specials were never aired outside of Japan? How...weird. I knew of them, but never watched them.

4. Brock has not been mentioned, but Tracey was briefly mentioned in BW047, the first episode of the Battle Subway two-part special, by Professor Oak. He was being called over to speak to Ash via videophone but the connection was severed by Team Rocket's Dr. Zager before he appeared.

Heh. Not only is this cool but it leads into my next question: how are Team Rocket doing? I kind of liked their more serious tone, but are they back to normal now? Any big plots I should be aware of? Are they still largely separated from the main characters?

7. Oshawott hasn't made all that much noticeable progress. He beat Clay's Krokorok at Driftveil Gym, but hasn't made too many terribly important appearances since.

...Damn. Hope he gets back on track soon. I really want him to emerge from the pack and be "the one" for this region. - since he was Ash's first non-bird capture. That said, it looks like there's plenty of time between now and the league to make that happen.

Last question:
Last I checked Ash had about 7 rivals this time around or something. Is Trip still the main one? Is he anywhere near as interesting as Paul was?

TheNewGuy

I watched some. I think I REALLY lost interest when the Rocket/Plasma episode was cut, but I followed it vaguely and at least knew of the new series/that fighting Poke tournament that happened a while back

Wait, those specials were never aired outside of Japan? How...weird. I knew of them, but never watched them.
Yeah they have not been dubbed yet and may not ever.

Heh. Not only is this cool but it leads into my next question: how are Team Rocket doing? I kind of liked their more serious tone, but are they back to normal now? Any big plots I should be aware of? Are they still largely separated from the main characters?
They're a bit less serious than they were at the start but they most certainly aren't comic relief. They haven't done any ocean 11 heists in awhile, but they have hijacked subway systems, almost captured legendaries, and traveled back to the past. Between Castelia and Nimbassa they'd attack Ash almost every episode like pre-BW, but wouldn't be comic reliefs. However after the Club Battle tournament, they'd have their own 2-3 minute scenes in each episode and have a two parter where Ash and co interacts with them

Last I checked Ash had about 7 rivals this time around or something. Is Trip still the main one? Is he anywhere near as interesting as Paul was?

He only has 3. Trip, Bianca and Stephen. Trip is bland as hell though. They gave him this backstory thing with Alder though but then after that was resolved he disappeared for like 20 episodes and only appeared to pathetically lose. He really sucks

TheNewGuy

Hopefully they do something to save that "rival problem" by introducing a better rival at the league then, if Trip has been THIS bad. I mean everyone knew he'd be no Paul, but...jeez

magicallypuzzled

trips been great i really really don;t understand every one complaining about him it makes no sense to me.

it gets really troublesome hearing every time some one mentions him they always say some thing bad when he's been the best character i have seen in while.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon

Yeah they have not been dubbed yet and may not ever.

They're a bit less serious than they were at the start but they most certainly aren't comic relief. They haven't done any ocean 11 heists in awhile, but they have hijacked subway systems, almost captured legendaries, and traveled back to the past. Between Castelia and Nimbassa they'd attack Ash almost every episode like pre-BW, but wouldn't be comic reliefs. However after the Club Battle tournament, they'd have their own 2-3 minute scenes in each episode and have a two parter where Ash and co interacts with them

He only has 3. Trip, Bianca and Stephen. Trip is bland as hell though. They gave him this backstory thing with Alder though but then after that was resolved he disappeared for like 20 episodes and only appeared to pathetically lose. He really sucks

Bland would best describe stephan, seriously i hope to never see him again. Bianca is great though, anyone whose like barry is "A" ok with me :)

gpt11

Hopefully they do something to save that "rival problem" by introducing a better rival at the league then, if Trip has been THIS bad. I mean everyone knew he'd be no Paul, but...jeez

I think it was noted somewhere Ash would get a new rival in Eastern Unova

DMerle

Guess who's back
I think a great way for you to catch up would be to go to the start of the Best wishes season on Bulbapedia and then just navigate through the episodes scrolling down to see the major events, it basically has spoilers in terms of new moves, evolutions, gym/rival battles etc. You should be able to get the general gist of what's happened so far without being overloaded with unimportant nonsense.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
5. The terms for the battle with Alder from the World Tournament Junior Cup have not been explained yet. I personally theorize it may be a way to force N in without disrupting the League directly - we know Ash is getting a new rival in the tournament.

Dang, that actually makes a lot of sense. I like that idea.

Encyclopika

The Queen
This is unnecessary. Serebii.net has everything you could ever want to know, and if not, we have the Single Questions Thread.

//CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.