• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Could the Sun and Moon Anime adapt the darkest Pokemon games closely in a traditional PKMN journey?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So the Pokemon Sun and Moon games. I think most of us can agree that although it's nowhere as grand as Black and White's story line but it's definitely the darkest and most emotional Pokemon story line. I think Shigeru Ohmori, the director of Sun and Moon (Not USUM), did a excellent job of telling the story of his very first non-remake Pokemon game and I really would love to see what stories he has planned for the Pokemon series.

20171006174427.jpg

I don't think anyone expected Lusamine in the anime to be like this right from the start lol.

That being said, the Sun and Moon Anime is kind of an odd one. It is quite possibly one of the most faithful and most loose anime adaptation of the Pokemon games at the same time? I suppose it's has to do with the fact that the Pokemon anime doesn't really have a good reputation of adapting the Pokemon games but here the Sun and Moon anime does actually adapt many central plot points from the Sun and Moon games into story arcs. However at the same time, they splitted these central plot points into what feels like contained story arcs albeit with more build-up than previously. Also instead of the traditional Pokemon Journey where Ash travels location-by-location, it's been replaced by a more centralized "hub" style of storytelling, where Ash feels less like an Adventures and more like a new citizen of Alola by moving in with Kukui and hanging out with his friends at school quite often. This has received a lot of mixed opinions as much of the fans think that the anime crew is experimenting with new forms of storytelling. Regardless one fact remains. It adapts to a degree of the central plot point of how Sun and Moon isn't necessarily you, the player's story. Instead it adapts Lillie's story, many fans theorizing that she's the real main character of the Sun and Moon games.

ff7.jpg

Lusamine has yet to make her big debut in the manga currently but already we can tell what kind of a character she is, feeling her presence and actions through Lillie's psychological trauma featured from the games, expanded further in Adventures.

Another thing is that the Sun and Moon anime is a much more light-hearted take on the Sun and Moon games. If you played the Sun and Moon games, you may have realized that it is easily the darkest Pokemon games with a fair amount of mature themes rarely explored in previous titles. I realized this when I was reading the Pokemon Adventures Sun and Moon story arc which manages to faithfully adapt the Sun and Moon games through the traditional Pokemon journey format and it does a pretty good job despite the fact that it isn't finished and it's under time constraints. If your a long-time reader of Pokemon Adventures, you'd know that Pokemon Adventures is actually a very light-hearted but mature and intense take on Pokemon but it's almost never dark. It certainly has it's dark moments and twists but it never truly had a full-fledged dark storyline... at least until I read the Sun and Moon story arc. It's actually fairly disturbing seeing the Sun and Moon games original storyline come to life in the manga but with far more detail. A great example is Lusamine. Like the games, Lusamine hasn't actually made her full-fledge appearance yet, only appearing in a cameo at the Aether Foundation. To those who are used to the anime's version of Lusamine months after the Sun and Moon games release, you may have had the impression that Lusamine is this kooky but sweet woman who has a mixed relationship with her daughter and son. The manga on the other hand will literally remind you that Lusamine is a psychotic control freak from the games. In fact it's actually quite sad and disturbing to see that Lillie and Gladion, from their expressions to their words, experienced some kind of psychological trauma from their controlling mother. The funny thing is the manga is unfinished and Lusaime still hasn't made her huge debut yet and yet she's already made a disturbing impression through what she did to Lillie and Gladion, almost as if you can feel her presence and actions throughout the storyline. I eventually later realized that this is actually pretty faithful to the Sun and Moon games with a few jumps here and there. It made me realized that the Sun and Moon games were actually that fairly dark. How the heck did the anime manage to get away with such light-hearted changes lol?

lillie_terrified_2_by_willdynamo55-dartpi8.jpg

The anime's take on Lillie's psychological trauma from the games. She can't touch Pokemon so easily. It's implied it's Lusamine's doing, similar to the games, but the revelation behind Lillie's fear of Pokemon is quite... unexpected to say.

The Pokemon Adventures Sun and Moon story arc, being faithful adaptations of the Sun and Moon games, does give somewhat of an idea how the anime might've become if they loosely adapted the Sun and Moon games through the traditional Pokemon journey format. In fact, I think it would make a lot of sense for Ash to travel with Hau, Lillie and from time to time, Gladion as that's actually what happens in the games from time to time. There's even a photo at the end of the Sun and Moon games showing the trio together, you, Lillie and Hau smiling at the camera. It's quite a beautiful scene and it definitely reminds you of Ash & Co. In fact the main protagonist traveling with such characters on the road happens in the manga. Grant it, it is the anime after all and it probably would've toned down some of the dark content, like how insane Lusamine is. However you can tell that the Sun and Moon games are still quite dark, leaving some traces behind in the anime. For example, we still see Lusamine losing her sanity at the sight of a Ultra Beast. We see Lillie having a degree of psychological trauma where she can't touch Pokemon so easily. Similar to the manga, it appears it has to do with her mother. To people's surprise it was actually an Ultra Beast and Lusamine turned out to be a kooky woman rather than the psycho from the games.

zqlQaCu.jpg

Even in the darkest of tunnels, there's a light full of hope at the end. Lillie and Nebby, reuniting is one of the sweetest heartwarming moments throughout the entire Pokemon series.

Although the anime would probably still be a loose adaptation of the Sun and Moon games, I feel like that if it continued the traditional style of a Pokemon journey, like the Adventures manga did, we would undoubtedly get a very different season from the one we have now and perhaps a bit more faithful to the story line of the Sun and Moon games, somewhat similar to the XYZ arc. Anyways what are your thoughts? Do you think the Sun and Moon Anime could adapt the darkest Pokemon games closely in a traditional Pokemon journey format similar to it's predeccesors? Do you think the Adventures manga gives an insight of what the anime could've become if it continued the traditional style of a Pokemon journey? How much would've changed if they didn't use the hub-style storytelling? What friends would Ash travel with? Would it be somewhat like Hau and Lillie from the games? Do you think it could work in a six-kid crew format? Do you think the anime crew would take a chance where Lillie is the main character, not Ash? Unlikely? Then do you think the thought is nevertheless pretty interesting? Do you think Totem Trials would be easier to manage and follow? Would you see this as a far better format to cover nearly every location across the Alola region? Heck, do you even want this form of storytelling back? There's a lot of questions that goes into the idea if Sun and Moon continue the traditional style of Ash traveling across the road of Alola with new friends at his side.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
The real question is whether or not the production team would take such a route. Could? Yes. Pokémon Anime is no stranger to parental abuse and broken families. But keep in mind that the anime tends pad out their stories over years, and the final results are dependent on the very last games before the next Generation. Such as Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon showing a different Lusamine with different motivations regarding Ultra Space.

In terms of traditional Pokémon Journey, I don't think they'll make it completely true without changing a lot of aspects for better or worse.