• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Could there be other life in space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to go with yes.

It may not be as alienlike as we think, but seriously, if there was a God, he wouldn't make us the only ones around, right?

And think of Mars, the water, the only slighter more different atmosphere. Colder, right?

Mars has volcanic history. This means that it could also be an identical reason to why it has icebergs: the sun was entirely blocked out by ash.

Or maybe, in the thousands of years we didn't explore it, their were beings just like us. Only, they polluted as well (although I found in another form Global Warming is like 1 degree in one hundred years) and a Volcano erupted.

Their could be volcanic rock below were our rovers can't get to, and we can't since we've only been to the moon I believe. Over time, the rocks were covered by dust, and their entire civilization was buried under the magma, and eventually dust.

And if their is a god, maybe he's messing with us and seeing what planet will last the longest.

Discuss.

houndourm

a-a-a-awesome
of course there's life in space!

the universe is infinate (possably) and there is so much unexplored space. billions upon billions of stars and trillions upon trillions of planets. no one can say that we are the only life. there may not be intelligent life. but there has to be life.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
People have to be naive to disagree. The universe is so huge, it just has to be. I love this topic. I could talk to someone for hours about it :D

supposedly one of the planets (i think saturn) in our solar system has a moon with liquid water under its surface. If it does, I think this could be the start to something amazing.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
okay. I've seen supposed "alien footage" on the internet, with weird background stories behind it. It was released by a man who was only known as "victor" and he would not give his real name. On the video, he had his voice changed so no one could recognize him. Do you want to see the link? It might take me a few minutes to find it though. I can't guarantee I'll find it at all. I hope its still on the internet.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
Very yes, I have no doubt that some kind of life exists somewhere in the universe other than Earth. The question is whether we would recognise life on other planets as even being alive, or if our definitions of "life" can even be applied anywhere but Earth. Just because life happened to come into being under certain conditions on this planet doesn't mean that those are the only conditions under which "life" could develop. There are many, many different biochemistries that could exist on other planets. The one we would hear about most is silicon-based, but things like hydrochloric acid could potential form the basis for a "living organism".

EDIT: I really am just referring to Carbon based life.

That would be what they call carbon chauvinism. It's not very likely that all life in the universe is carbon-based. That could be the minority of life for all we know.

Last edited:

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
Almost certainly does life exist elsewhere in space. The only issue I see is what we can call life and what we can't; somewhere out there there's bound to be organisms whose molecular and cellular structures substitute carbon with another element, depending on their environment and development and whatnot. So, somewhere out there there could be a microorganism whose makeup is based upon phosphorus, or nitrogen, and not carbon; would we introduce a new classification of life for that?

On a different topic, those who attempt to disprove extraterrestrial life with the "if they're out there why haven't they contacted us?" argument are full of malarkey. Even if there are lifeformes out there capable of communication, much less radio communication, they may be sending out signals that we can't process or receive. There's almost an infinite amount of radio frequencies that we can't detect, similar to how certain animals can, due to the makeup of their eyes, see millions of colours that we ourselves cannot discern.

EDIT: double-ninja'd on the carbon life-forme deal.

PKMN Trainer Rex

~'3'~ Swalot face
I do not doubt there is life out there. The universe is a big place.

For the Government cover ups, I think they don't want to whip up a frenzy. I heard it best on CSI "A person is smart, but people are dumb." If a person finds out by themselves or in a small group, they'd be stunned but might be able to take it. But if everyone, everywhere found out at the same time people could go ballistic. Churches will put anti-ET propaganda, people will call the military for action, etc.

M4zz

Banned
If the theory of either Star Wars, Star Trek, or the theory on White Holes are correct, then yes.

By actual recordings and data of what we have available, no.

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
Aliens most diffidently exist. If you think about it, earth is only like a single molecule of water compered to all the water on earth. To say live is a one of a kind thing is ridiculous. I'm not saying life is common, but it has to exist somewhere. We've only studied a glass of water compared to all the water on earth, and you shouldn't expect to see more than one planet of life in a glass of water. They're spread out. The chances of ever seeing another planet is extremely slim unless a better way of space travel is developed.

Or perhaps, they don't know we exist and are pondering that for themselves.

I honestly think, Aliens (Or Other-Life as I call them) are smart, but not super geniuses like we pose them as.

I also highly doubt Green Skin and Big Heads could aid survival.

Monochromatic

A.k.a: Nemo
Most likely yes, but right now, I just have to say "We Don't Know For Sure".

But yes, the universe is massive, there just HAS to be something there.

PKMN Trainer Rex

~'3'~ Swalot face
Or perhaps, they don't know we exist and are pondering that for themselves.

I honestly think, Aliens (Or Other-Life as I call them) are smart, but not super geniuses like we pose them as.

I also highly doubt Green Skin and Big Heads could aid survival.

There could be. There also could be aliens that possess the power/ tech for sustained and fast space travel and choose not to reveal themselves, like the "Prime Directive" in Star Trek.

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
Well, it has to be possible. Thinking of the limits of space, there can't be any! It, somehow, has to go on forever. Well, space does but the planets and stuff don't but it's expanding and every second new stars are born and stuff. Along with stars comes planets, sometimes, so out of the trillions of planets surrounding a star, there has to be at least one similar enough to Earth to host aliens. Of coarse maybe we'll never discover any though. They already found bacteria on a planet, or Mars, I think... Right?

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
- Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

scizor42

Back from break
Lets see... i am not sure if there is other life on other planets. There is no actual evidence that there is, but we can't run a test to see if there is, because if there is life on other planets, they almost definitly could not contact us. To say that the universe is huge doesn't make a good case either, as we simply do not know what the probability of life starting on a suitable planet. I mean, if i put a drop of mercury into a cup of water and then put a drop of that into another cup of water ect, ect, 200 times, there would probably be no mercury in the last cup of water. So i am saying that the probabilities could be like that, or they could be quite high compared to the scale of the universe.

And to precombat the arguement that we are living here, therefore it is most probable that we aren't the only ones, we wouldnt be having this arguement if we didn't exist.

kusari

Raptastic
considering that one of the satalites over the course of the past year, has found at least 50 planets that could sustain carbon based life... yeah probably.

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
- Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Just think of it, maybe they're like thousands of lightyears away. We tried contacting them, the satellites and stuff won't reach them until many many years. If they are just as intelligent, or have a lower intelligence, theirs won't reach us for longer or when they get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.