• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Could there be other life in space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamishmash

"Just... stuff."
While there probably is other life in the universe, it should be noted that if there is, it would almost certainly not resemble anything like what we know "life" is, for our planet is such a fluke, you can almost see why creationists believe it was designed. If you think of how different the temperature is between the North Pole and the Equator... and then think of how our planet, if we were only a few hundred miles this way, or that way, our whole planet's environment would be totally different... it's pretty amazing.

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
I have a simple saying...If theres life on earth, who says there isnt life elsewhere? Think about it.

Pansy :]

anustart
well, i'm going to speak from an aithiestic standpoint. I believe that everything is here, on earth by coincidence. There just happenned to be the right conditions for life on earth. Now when coincidences happen, chances are its not the first time. So maybe one in every trillion planets has life on it, we just haven't found them yet.

Hamishmash

"Just... stuff."
We can only find life by observing it, because frankly the technology to travel at the speed of light to these distant worlds is probably never going to happen. So telescopes are the way - but even then if we can view worlds across the galaxy, we'd be viewing them millions of years ago (due to time/space wibbly-wobbly-ness). So we could see space dinosaurs.

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
It would be awesome to find life in space that are the size of us or larger (if not freaky aswell) but i have my doubts somehow...i just have this feeling that if scientists discover a new life in space it would be microscopic or some other of the sort..

houndourm

a-a-a-awesome
Well there could be life just forming or life preformed. My favorite theorty jis that we are aliens that were started by aliens when the put like the building blocks of life on the planets.

Crazy but. A fun theory to think about.

M4zz

Banned
Everyone seems to be in an agree, so I'll throw something out there to re-spark this slowly dying thread.

Aside from the potential life, could other humans exist in other regions of space? Like if some super-intelligent species took a handful of humans to another planet. What do you guys think?

PKMN Trainer Rex

~'3'~ Swalot face
Everyone seems to be in an agree, so I'll throw something out there to re-spark this slowly dying thread.

Aside from the potential life, could other humans exist in other regions of space? Like if some super-intelligent species took a handful of humans to another planet. What do you guys think?

Like in the Star Gate franchise? Who knows? Theres no definate way to porve or disprove it.

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.

Hmmm Good question but unless somewhere throughout this galaxy, there is another planet that has oxygen (why not?) I doubt that they'd look like us..but thats my veiw..

Aeral

asdfkghl;'
Propably, but if it is, we rather won't know about them for tons of ages.
If they got to earth, they'd have ships which would ride to us quicker than light to reach us in many years. We have checked the nearby planets, and there's no slightest prove of any aliens. The only possibility is that the second earth is hundreds or thousands of light years from us.

MasterLucario

No life till leather
with thousands of other galaxies, you kinda have to be stupid to deny that there might be at least one other advanced specie of life. For the people hat are like "Well, we haven't developed inter galactic travel yet, so how could other species?" The universe is over 3 billion years old, while humans have only been here for about 100,000 years. That leaves over 2,999,900,000 years for life to advance elsewhere. Not to mention all the credible eye witnesses...

I do not know a treatise in which a survey of the Universe -- using the word in its most comprehensive and only legitimate acceptation -- is taken at all: -- and it may be as well here to mention that by the term "Universe," wherever employed without qualification in this debate, I mean to designate the utmost conceivable expanse of space, with all things, spiritual and material, that can he imagined to exist within the compass of that expanse. In speaking of what is ordinarily implied by the expression, "Universe," I shall take a phrase of limitation -- "the Universe of stars."

But even of treatises on the really limited, although always assumed as the un limited, Universe of stars, I know none in which a survey, even of this limited Universe, is so taken as to warrant deductions from its individuality. The nearest approach to such a work is made in the "Cosmos" of Alexander Von Humboldt. He presents the subject, however, not in its individuality but in its generality. His theme, in its last result, is the law of each portion of the merely physical Universe, as this law is related to the laws of every other portion of this merely physical Universe. His design is simply synoeretical. In a word, he discusses the universality of material relation, and discloses to the eye of Philosophy whatever inferences have hitherto lain hidden behind this universality. But however admirable be the succinctness with which he has treated each particular point of his topic, the mere multiplicity of these points occasions, necessarily, an amount of detail, and thus an involution of idea, which preclude all individuality of impression.

It seems to me that, in aiming at this latter effect, and, through it, at the consequences -- the conclusions -- the suggestions -- the speculations -- or, if nothing better offer itself, the mere guesses which may result from it -- we require something like a mental gyration on the heel. We need so rapid a revolution of all things about the central point of sight that, while the minutiae vanish altogether, even the more conspicuous objects become blended into one. Among the vanishing minutiae, in a survey of this kind, would be all exclusively terrestrial matters. The Earth would be considered in its planetary relations alone. A man, in this view, becomes mankind; mankind a member of the cosmical family of Intelligences.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
The universe is so incomprehensibly vast it'd be impossible for there to not be life somewhere else.

Yes, Earth is a fluke, but flukes happen a lot if you have a large sample.

Doesn't get much larger than the universe.

The universe is so incomprehensibly vast it'd be impossible for there to not be life somewhere else.
No, it wouldn't. It's absolutely not impossible that we are the only life forms in the universe, we just don't think it's -likely-.

I like to believe that there is other life out there, but I wish I had better arguments for the likelihood of its existence. I don't see arguing that there must be other life because the universe is big any better than arguing that there must be a god because the universe is complex.

Arguments for the existence of aliens are mostly parallel to arguments for the existence of a god/gods (obviously because we have no way of proving it one way or the other), and I think that it's slowly turning me toward alien agnosticism. :(

spareux

maldición
I don't see arguing that there must be other life because the universe is big any better than arguing that there must be a god because the universe is complex.

Because the first is based on common sense whilst the second is faith/religion/whatever you want to call it, and the two are very different.

I've never seen anyone prove or disprove God, true enough, but I've certainly seen it proved that a rarity is more likely to appear in larger numbers given a larger sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.