• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Could you play without Exp?

ThousandMaster

Magic School Dropout
Now, I'm sure you're all aware of the Pokemon Black and White games that were set up to prevent players from gaining Exp should they play a ROM instead of the actual game. Whether or not you approve of this anti-piracy method, it does raise an interesting question: is it possible to win when you don't gain experience from battle?

Now, that's not saying leveling up is impossible. You can still get Rare Candies and put your Pokemon in daycare. You simply won't gain experience points from KOing other Pokemon.

Instead of going out and level grinding, you'd have to try to catch progressively stronger Pokemon or just leave yours in the daycare while wasting time going around in circles to give them exp.

Evolving Pokemon would become difficult, but still not impossible with the help of Rare Candy.

Of course, if it's that much trouble just to level up, who'd want to play? Seems like too much trouble just for one more level.

Thoughts? Opinions? Discuss.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not condoning downloading the ROM or thinking about doing it myself. I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks about the idea of playing while not gaining exp.

Last edited:

ThousandMaster

Magic School Dropout
Just out of curiosity, given every piece of the context, can anyone really disapprove of the measure?

Apparently there are some people complaining "Nintendo is unfair, pirates are customers too" or something like that, so evidently there are some who disapprove.

I wish I was making that up, but apparently some people believe they're entitled to download games for free.

BCVM22

Unfortunate.

Let me refine the question, then: can anyone of any good sense really disapprove of the measure?

vampireheart

♥ Speak Now xo ♥
well i plan on buying the game anyway so im not that bothered about the anti-piracy method and actually think its a good idea because the creators worked hard and deserve the profit.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
well i plan on buying the game anyway so im not that bothered about the anti-piracy method and actually think its a good idea because the creators worked hard and deserve the profit.

It's true.This time they really worked they ass off...they made a fantastic game

vampireheart

♥ Speak Now xo ♥

ThousandMaster

Magic School Dropout
I don't think any of us are here to say they didn't make a great game, or try to object to the anti-piracy methods. I know I plan on buying the games when they comes out in English, whether or not the roms had that anti-piracy trick. Nintendo deserves getting paid for games like this.

I'm just wondering, if (just as a random hypothetical example) Nintendo ever made Pokemon with a "super hard mode" where you don't gain experience from battles, would the games still be playable? Would anyone be willing to play through a game where they can't level grind just by battling wild Pokemon and opposing trainers?

Murton

Once you were lost.
I actually think it is possible, but extremely challenging. You should just always have lots of Pokeballs with you and catch every Pokemon that is higher leveled than your lowest level Pokemon, put the low-level one in the PC and the high-level one in your party. This way, your party WILL get stronger.
I think it would be a nice challenge like the Nuzlocke challenge.

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
im confused... so we wont get exp?

AncientMew

Training since 1998
HA! Suck it, pirates! There are people who laugh at me for buying the actual games instead of emulator on the PC, who's laughing now buttlicks?

AncientMew

Training since 1998
DAMMIT!

.......10char