• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Could you play without Exp?

Indragon

Back in the USSR
The game is able to tell if it's running on a retail cartridge, or a flashcard/computer. If it's the latter, then it applies the anti-piracy measure.

I'm not sure how it's able to tell, but I've read something kinda similar: When Super Mario All-Stars is booted up, the game checks for how much SRAM is present. If more than 8 KB of SRAM is present, then the game assumes it's running on a fake cartridge (from a copier), and then it displays a message saying, "Warning: It's a serious crime to copy video games" and some other stuff.

So I'm sure B/W has some similar way of knowing if it's on a retail cartridge or not.

Ah yes, I can see that you'd be able to tell what device the game is being played on. But any idea why just disable EXP, and not something along the lines of automatically shut down the game? That should be possible...

MeowMix

We gotta cook
You can't gain exp?! Well that ruins all the fun, so I will just wait for the english version. :(

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
People who buy the game will get exp. People who download the Rom won't. I think it's just a matter of days before there's a patch for that problem, if there isn't one already.

That issue was fixed just hours after it arose, so nothing really changed unfortunately. I love the idea of cheaters not being able to gain experience but it wasn't very effective obviously. How would I feel about not being able to gain experience or level up in the actual games? Terrible. I wouldn't even play the games if we couldn't level up. I mean, unless all the wild Pokemon and trainer Pokemon remained at the same levels, it would be impossible to progress in the games without gaining experience and leveling up :s

treeco123

I could play without EXP. Like others have said, you could just catch Pokemon of higher and higher levels. Of course, somewhere like victory road you won't be able to catch higher levelled Pokemon, but all you need to level up then is Rare Candies.
Also, like others have said, it will have been patched by now, and it could have been within hours of the game coming out.

Chaos Rush

Ah yes, I can see that you'd be able to tell what device the game is being played on. But any idea why just disable EXP, and not something along the lines of automatically shut down the game? That should be possible...
I agree, I wish they would do something more drastic. For instance, in Earthbound/Mother 2, if the game assumes it's being played illegally, then it will make a whole bunch of enemies appear randomly where they normally aren't supposed to. If you are somehow able to make it all the way to the last boss even with the random enemies, then when you reach Giygas (spelling?), the game will freeze, and the next time you boot up the game, you'll see that it's deleted all of your save files.

I wish Pokemon would do something similar.

-Unicorno-

Think Magical!
but the takes away all the fun :p

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
My friend doesn't play Pokemon anyway, but if he did there would be a problem.

I should be competent enough at Japanese to do a pre-order in time for the sixth generation, so... yay.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
When did this come about?

My friend has a ROM of Black and he's able to get EXP. He downloaded it onto a special DS cart where he has +20 games on one cart.

Shadow XD001

I'm obviously getting the English Version of Pokemon Black (my brother is getting Pokemon White), but the "No EXP Gain" Problem for the ROM Users has been fixed.

GolemGuy

Better Than Thou
People aren't getting the point of the topic. It's not "Would you use a ROM even if it wouldn't give you XP?" It's "How would you feel about a challenge play-through of a Pokemon game, where you can get zero xp?"

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
They already did this.

You know, Pokemon Rumble?

Besides, this isn't the most inventive anti-piracy thing ever. Aside from Earthbound's famous super hard mode, Megaman BN1 OSS set you in a never ending loop of tutorial virus battles.

Cryptic Blaze

Blinded by the light
It would be a challenge to complete the game without EXP, but can still be done. Like everyone has said, you just have to catch progressively higher level pokemon and use rare candies as you go through the game. Something like this does make a good anti-piracy feature, but they should do something more drastic if that is the case.

It doesn't matter, a patch came out in about 6 hours after the ROMs were released. HG/SS had much better antipiracy, and it took several weeks to solve. This was a step down. HG/SS's antipiracy involved counting events (entering a new area, a battle, talking to someone, etc.) and the game crashing itself after a certain number of events, the threshold of which would lower until it would freeze after every event.

Last edited:
It would be a challenge to complete the game without EXP, but can still be done. Like everyone has said, you just have to catch progressively higher level pokemon and use rare candies as you go through the game. Something like this does make a good anti-piracy feature, but they should do something more drastic if that is the case.

you only get about 5-10 rare candies in the game, so how are you going to keep catching progressivly higher leveled pokemon?