• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Counter Shield... Will Ash continue to use it in regions to come?

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Now we all know that Ash devised a certain strategy this region, before the battle with Fantina. This strategy is of course the Counter Shield. However, he did not stop using it after this and he has utilised the move in other battles, such as his full battle against Paul.

The Counter Shield is not very complex and usually consists of a Pokemon doing what appears to be 'break dancing' while using its standard long range attack (Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Water Gun). This helps by acting as a barrier to another Pokemons attacks, both Physical and Special. Alternatively, a Pokemon can combine two of its own attacks, such as Monferno using Flame Wheel and Flamethrower, to move in on the opposition with extra protection.

My question to you all is (and no i'm not sure whether theres any point in asking it at all)... Although Infernape and Buizel will no longer be on the team, would Ash still think to use this strategy with Pikachu and possibly teach it to other Pokemon in regions to come? I'm sure it would be of great help in a lot of battles and it just seems like something worth remembering, instead of completely forgetting it once Sinnoh's over.

On a side note, i'm sure Totodile would have a whale of a time using Counter Shield.

Last edited:

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Probably not.... or else we'd see Thunder Armor, Volt Tail, etc... but we haven't.....

Maybe in the Sinnoh League but that's about it.

ijea4444

If its at the expense of other moves remastered, I hope not. If it isn't, then hopefully so. Do I think so? As far as I can remember it was only used once outside of the gym battle, and that was against paul if it was used elsewhere could someone tell me?

Counter shield is actually a good combination and one I can see being used multiple times without getting too old. I hope we can see ash use it and the energy ball absorption technique as a "representation" of ash's sinnoh journey accumulation against paul, because the entire sinnoh saga has revolved mainly around ash proving his sinnoh pokemon can beat paul.

Lawnmowergirl

Fangirl =/= Weeaboo
I honestly think they'll forget about it in favor of newer silly gimmicks that will make more use of new additions of moves and abilities to the franchise.

Or, in other words, no. At least I don't think so, anyway.

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl
Counter shield was a great combination but I think we'll see the last of it at the SL. Ash will definitely forget about it in the next region thanks to the writers who always want Ash to have a fresh start.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I think not. He will probably forget about it, since with Infernape he hasn't done anything with that compared to Chimchar (and a little but Monferno).

And that's pretty sad because that strategy could have been better with the pokemon he has now.

I doubt that Ash would teach his new Pokemon this strategy. Look at Ash's gym battle with Bugsy and Jasmine. Both used the same trick of spinning using a attack to save themselves from a super effective fire type move but still Ash didn't used same strategy to beat Jasmine as he did against Bugsy.
And it looked rather impossible on Chimchar too. Chimchar use Flame Wheel by spitting out fire from its mouth and extending its *ss fire. Then how is Chimchar supposed to use Flamethrower when he is already using its mouth in an attack. But Infernape can use it cause it doesn't use its mouth in Flame Wheel.
For Sinnoh league I would rather watch Energy Ball consumption power up than Counter Shield.

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
Ash'll probably use new moves instead. There are obviously gonna be a bunch of them in newer regions.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
I think Counter Shield would rarely appear at Sinnoh and propablly will never apear to see the light of day again.The previous Ash original moves haven`t appared sience the last time they were during there season that was used in.Given the fact,Counter Shield would be dropped when it comes to the start of the BW series.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
He'll use it for however long it remains effective like he did the Spin-Dodge. When his opponents learn to counter Counter-Shield he'll learn another technique. I think Paul will be ready for it now that he saw it in the Full Battle so it'd be dropped late in the Pokemon League or immediately after.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Well...in Isshu he'll have new pkmn & he'll develop new strategies with them.I just hope Staraptor gets to learn a counter shield technique in the league

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl
Well...in Isshu he'll have new pkmn & he'll develop new strategies with them.I just hope Staraptor gets to learn a counter shield technique in the league

Staraptor's moves are not meant to do counter shield, they're all physical attacks but unless Staraptor gonna learn something like air cutter or heat wave, he'll might be able to do it.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I haven't seen him use Counter-Shield, in like, forever. It will definitely be dropped after Sinnoh if it hasn't been already.

Cris~Wigglytuff~

elite wigglejiggle!?
It should be used more, it was very effective against fantina.

I wonder when bayleef,heracross,bulbasaur and glalie will used that strategy as it using a razor leaf try to counter any of condition like poison,burn,paralylze,frozen,confuse and sleep

poizonsting

Pokemon master
I don't think so. They will probably come up with another gimmicky technique as they have come up with something in every region

Liquid Trainer

~Water Master~
I don't think he will, he hardly uses it now.