• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Countering Skarmbliss: A pet peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludicodaniel

<-If only it was red
level 1: 6.25%
2: 12.5%
3: 25%
4: 33.3%
5: 50%

All attacks starts in Level 1. Then the things that makes the Pokémon gain level are...
High Critical Hit Ratio (Leaf Blade, Blaze Kick, Slash, etc) = +1
Scope Lens = +1
Super Luck = +1
Stick = +2
Lucky Punch = +2
Focus Energy = +1
...That berry (>_<) = +1

I think it's only.

And Dire Hit, But, unless you have a pokemon with Super Luck, it can't be used in conjuntion with Focus Energy.

And High crit moves + Scope Lens + Focus energy = 1/3 crit rate, which isn't bad at all.

SkarmBliss counters... I think that Arcanine may now class. Just because it's BL/UU, dosen't mean that Flamethrower and Flare Blitz don't work wonders. Same for Rapidash.

Toxicroak should work well, with good Sp.Attack, attack, and Nasty Plot. It can use Stabbed Brick Break on Blissy, and something like Stabbed Focus Blast (Innacurate though) on Skarm. Blissy won't like Focus Blast after Nasty Plot either.

Togekiss should work wonders. Nasty Plot, Aura Sphere (Unstabbed -_-) and Air Slash (stabbed), and a Self-Recovery to shrug off Blissy's Attacks, and Skarm's. Togekiss laughs at them in all honesty. Even if it fails to 2HKO.

Raichu does counter Skarmbliss as well. Just not like Pika. (I wish there wasn't light orb)

Oh, and Lv1 Sash-Endev-Quick Rattata kills them too. Skarm or Bliss will die, unless the rat gets Paraed, there's a Sandstorm/Hail, or the Rat's poisoned. (Although, If bliss switches in and the Rat's poisoned, Endevor and QA may still kill it, due to it's abismal def)

To be honest I hate Charizard >_>

DrunkenSniper

That = GG.
You suck :((( (j/k)

I was thinking about Arcy, and believe me, being BL had nothing to do with it. Adamant, Max Attack Arcy with Life Orb is the only reliable way to 2HKO Bliss with Flare Blitz, and that's tantamount to suicude with all that Recoil.

Raichu > Pika IMO. : D

I think I mentioned Toxi in the Specs bit, but I'll add him properly.

Everything, including Leftovers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FEAR

Bert

Untitled
Infernape can do exactly the same thign but CC > Explosion (meaning it actuallmy LIVES).
Mixape is the best you've got to kill (tehcnically not really a counter) SkarmBliss.
Also, Pain Splitters with a reasonably good physical atk and dito stat can ruin Blissey ^^.
Dusknoir ^^.

Incarnati0n

Just as planned.
It does OHKO. Brave Bird nearly OHKOs Gengar.

>_____>

So you people KNOW that infernape can't switch in on skarmory, proving it's not a counter, and still you guys keep yelling "Infernape pwns teh skarmbliss rofl"? I don't even want to mention FEAR's switchin captabilities.

A counter is a pokémon that can succesfully switch in to the pokémon it counters without taking too much damage and can either kill the opposing pokémon or force it to switch.

phantom1113

Not a random nub
nice guide but one question

do u want to stop ppl from using skarm bliss because apearently ther enot that good since the whole ou tier can kick there ****???

or just want ppl to now this so that u will get no more whining about this??

Incarnati0n

Just as planned.
nice guide but one question

do u want to stop ppl from using skarm bliss because apearently ther enot that good since the whole ou tier can kick there ****???

or just want ppl to now this so that u will get no more whining about this??

first I´d like to people to spell correctly. But that´s another subject.

I´m happy this thread exists and shows skarmbliss isn´t immortal, but the whole thread would be quite pointless if the arguements aren´t right.

I made some notes about the pokémon mentioned in the first post. I didn't lst the counters I agree with.

Gengar: Thunderbolt and Focus Punch/Explosion are just about it. I'm talking about McIcegar. There's also perishtrapping, but look out for Ice Beam. Make a sidenote it can´t switch in on a brave bird.

Magneton: Doesn't counter Blissey, but it does a good job at permanently removing Skarmory thanks to Magnet Pull. Don't forget to go boom. Skarmory always carries shed shell thanks to the magnets, so mag will counter skarmory, but the `permanent removing´ part should be removed.

Blaziken: STAB Sky Uppercut and Flamethrower. Of course, with base 80 Speed, you're not accomplishing much. However, this is fairly effective in the form of endure-reversal. Then TTar became popular.look out for Brave Bird

Magmar: Another UU/BL Fire Type. Cross Chop this time makes this guy worth using. I get your idea, but why list him when magmortar exists?

Alakazam: Trickband. One-use only, though. And he doesn't like the STABbed Brave Bird.

Infernape: Isn't it obvious? Same deal with Blaziken, except it knows how to move and packs Nasty Plot. Not much to say. moar brave bird

Pikachu: No, really. Thunderbolt and Focus punch are nasty with Light Orb. See? Thanks to D/P, Skarmbliss gets owned by this stupid rat. No switchy-inny, though. Tackle kills this rat. >_> Raichu also works well in that respect, since it can actually take an Ice Beam from Blissey or a Drill Peck off of Skarm. can't switch in as you say yourself, so no counter

Who DOESN'T like Charizard? Well, with the inclusion of Physical STAB, Bellyzard becomes a deadly threat to pretty much anything in the game (bar like, Scarfchomp, Slowbro and Suicune) Sub, Belly Drum, Salac and EQ/Fire Punch away with Blaze and +6 attack! Also works with Double-Edge over Sub for those annoying bulky waters. have fun belly drumming on skarmory, sacrificing half of your HP just to get phased. And you're overestimating bellyzard a little bit.

Machamp: Not exactly a counter to Skarmbliss, but 100% accuracy Dynamicpunch can really ruin Skarmory's day with confusion. That, and Fire Blast. : D this is a list of counters for skarmbliss. If it can't counter, it shouldn't be listed IMO.

Salamence: Only in DP because of Physical STAB and Choice Specs. But be warned, sending Mence into Blissey won't counter it. It's all in the prediction. Mixed sets work too, but I don't really like trying to counter Blissey with Brick Break. *repeat machamp comment*

Toxicroak: Nasty Plot, and STAB fighting goes a long way. And Cross Chop.And a brave bird up his buttocks

Choice Specs users: Lucario, Gengar and Alakazam can all 2HKO Blissey with a CS'd Aura Sphere/Focus Blast, And Salamence with Draco Meteor. a bit too generalised.

Switcheroo introduced Hypno and Lopunny into the whole "Hahaha, walls" thing.sidenote that it's a one-use.

oh yeah, and again, FEAR is a terrible idea since it's useless on whatever attacking move/status infliction'/spikes varia/weather condition/enemy with brains who inmediatly knows what he's dealing with when seeing a lvl 1 rattata. it switches in on.

Last edited:

Profesco

gone gently
Wowee! This thread is great so far.

I have a question about FEAR's switch-in capability. Couldn't it work if you started off with it as your first? The only problem I see is if the opponent switches in to a Ghost type. But then, it did force a switch, like the counter name demands... I guess that's a general "Yay FEAR!" statement, though.

It'd be great if you battle-connoissuers would discuss the popular and not-so-popular counter strategies for other popular Pokemon teams. Maybe another thread?

I can't believe people still ban Skarmbliss. Don't they know Tyranitar+Garchomp is a thousand times worse?

the_showstopper

lover of Glaceons
This is just my opinion, but...
Most people would want to go with 252 252 6 EV spread for sweepers and a Modest/Adamant/jolly/timid nature (At least for me anyways). Getting a def hindering nature and investing a little EVs in the other stats is pretty troublesome and hinders the pokemon's sweeping ability. and if you have just one Skarmbliss counter and it faints, you lose the battle. Seriously, why can't anyone come up with their OWN walls? Why do they have to use Skarmbliss just because of their walling capabilities? Why can't they come up with their own strategy instead of copying other's? Seriously, I use my favourites, instead of the everyday Infernapes and Blisseys. You do realize that, after awhile, battles get boring because all pokemon your opponent uses is the same, with little veriety.
Again, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION! I am NOT flaming any garchomp Skarmbliss users or anything.

Pimplup784

Back in Blue?
I agree with Showstopper. People should put more spice onto they're teams. Don't get me wrong though. I'm not saying everyone who uses the usual Garchomp, Blissey, Skarmory combo is boring, they're movesets aren't but that is a different topic and i would not like to go there.

Pimplup784

Back in Blue?
The best counter i think would be Magmortar. Focus Blast and Flamethrower are a dangerous combo.

spawngod316

I'm just a thinker
Taunt counters both.

Hey, that's actually pretty clever thinking. However, the pokemon that uses taunt cannot be weak to flying attacks or a possible bolt-beam combo from Blissey and must be faster than a Skarmory.

Two layers of Toxic Spikes being used by any pokémon that learns something to OHKO/2HKO Skarmory works too.

Nidoking (huge movepool), Tentacruel (~40% damage with Surf or Hidden Power Electric), lol Forretress (Zap Cannon for ~40% damage, and Explosion causes ~70% damage to Skarmory), lol Roserade (HP Fire for the 2HKO, and even Sleep Powder/Stun Spore for Blissey) are the only ones, actually. I'd recommend Tentacruel, as it manages to take a hit better than Roserade and Nidoking, and can even help your team countering Infernape. Forretress is good too, but I don't really like him, so I don't have any good words for the bagworm ;[ *never used him*

Last edited:

Volteon

Back I guess??
Focus blast shouldn't be considered for countering Blissey. You have less than 50% chance to hit Blissey with the move twice in a row.

Pimplup784

Back in Blue?
if u mean focus blast for blissey i think cross chop would hit harder[/QU
Focus blast shouldn't be considered for countering Blissey. You have less than 50% chance to hit Blissey with the move twice in a row.
My mistake. Brick Break or Cross Chop would be better because Blissey has horrible defense stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.