• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Counterparts that you felt were done better than the games.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Discuss counterparts from other Pokemon adaptations that you felt were done better than the games and when I say games, I mean what you believe was even better than GameFreak's original idea in-mind. For me I'll start with what I felt like was the most complete and thoughtful take on AZ from the Pokemon XY games, his counterpart from Pokemon Adventures.

SVaJC6T.jpg

AZ is a pretty interesting and mysterious character in the games as he was long ago the peaceful king of Kalos until his greedy brother waged war against him which lead to his most beloved Pokemon, Floette, to die in the war. AZ mourned for the loss of Pokemon and was determine to revive Floette. He succeeded but at the cost of the death of thousands of Pokemon petrified to stone due to the loss of their life energy which today has formed the mysterious stones of Geosenge Town. Upon discovering just how much the war has turned AZ into a vengeful and violent bringer of destruction, Floette left AZ and it was that moment that AZ finally realized he went too far. In the modern day, we later see the immortal AZ walk the earth as a homeless man who still feels the guilt of his actions several years ago. It's all pretty interesting right? The lore sure is but how the character was handled in the games, some people definitely wished it could've been better.

AZ appears pretty late in the game and he has very few and short appearances. His story and his ending is definitely heartwarming for fans but a lot of fans felt like he needed more screen time to flesh out his character better and that's where Pokemon Adventures comes in where it feels like a more complete version of AZ as AZ is met fairly early on compare to his game counterpart, his character as an immortal but guilty man whose seen and experienced so much in his lifetime is expanded upon and unlike the AZ where he appears in a few locations time from time, this AZ actually travels with the main characters from time to time. Not only that but we actually get another reason as to why he was so vengeful and angry in the first place. I must warn you that there are spoilers here.

It turns out that the death of his Pokemon wasn't the only reason for his vengeful behavior but also that the masses of Kalos blindly followed his greedy brother without question and he feels that because of the blind and greedy behavior of Kalos's people that help lead to the destructive war and by extension the death of his Pokemon, he lost his faith in people for some time only to be once again be disgusted to see this same behavior appear in the modern people of Kalos as Team Flare, blindly and greedily following Lysandre without question instead of thinking for themselves. It's that moment that the main characters, the group of kids, witness AZ's darker and vengeful side return, not seen since the war thousands of years ago. Upon reaching the conclusion that not much has changed, he reveals the reason why he's never destroyed the key to the Ultimate Weapon in the first place and it's a reason that makes so much sense in the games too. That reason is throughout his years, he was still pondering if Kalos's people were worth defending or should be destroyed based on his own experiences and he comes to the conclusion that he must reactivate the Ultimate Weapon after witnessing how ungrateful Kalos's people are after Team Flare's defeat. Luckily AZ snaps out of it when the kids remind him that if he fully commits to such a horror again, he would be no different from Lysandre or his brother. Realizing the atrocity he was about to commit, he's glad the kids own youthful experiences reminds him that there is still some hope and he finally decides to do the one thing he should've done a long time ago. Destroy the key to the Ultimate Weapon. To everyone's surprise, Floette returns after AZ has finally cast away his burdens, forgiving himself of what he's done. Oh man, it's funny how such a darker look at AZ's character, trying to explain why he kept the key this whole time from the games leads to an even more magical and happy ending right?

So yeah, that's some interesting expansion and insight into AZ's character , the manga thoroughly explaining why he was so vengeful long ago, explaining why AZ decided to keep the key to the Ultimate Weapon instead of destroying it this whole time, what his thoughts were on both the kids and Team Flare's actions all while staying true to the character. If you haven't read Pokemon Adventures XY and ignored the spoiler warning, you have to admit that really does sound like a more complete and satisfying take on AZ right?

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I think Sapphire in the manga has more personality to her than May in the games and anime. In the manga, Sapphire is a wild girl who is determined to beat the Hoenn League in 80 days. In the anime, May is rather insecure and somewhat indecisive, as seen in her first few battles with her Torchic. The game May is just a rival who you could theoretically imprint any personality on.

Denifitely most Kalos characters in anime. Because of the badass moments in the Flare arc not to mention that many of them were given a real personality & motives.

Kalos definitely got a whole lot more love in the manga than the games.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Any other version of the Kalos characters were better than the games', I loved Pokespe Ghetsis' calm, composed, and benevolent-seeming demeanor rather than him screaming so much in the games, anime Kukui has definitely been handled better than the games through his relationship with Ash and his dream of making the Alola league, and anime Cynthia actually contributed to the TG fight instead of just standing there, and her mentorship role for Ash and Paul was very interesting. Also, I liked the Old Chateau minisode in Generations more than the games' version, it legit felt like a horror show there.

shoz999

I think Sapphire in the manga has more personality to her than May in the games and anime. In the manga, Sapphire is a wild girl who is determined to beat the Hoenn League in 80 days. In the anime, May is rather insecure and somewhat indecisive, as seen in her first few battles with her Torchic. The game May is just a rival who you could theoretically imprint any personality on.

Kalos definitely got a whole lot more love in the manga than the games.
Sapphire's character in Pokemon Adventures is awesome. Because of the whole wild & happy-go-lucky adventurer charm to her, I could really see that this was Prof. Birch's daughter considering that Prof. Birch is also a bit of a wild & happy-go-lucky adventurer. I love the little moments where Prof. Birch is proud of his daughter which is a stark contrast with Norman & Ruby lol.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Because I'm OG(anime-wise), I think the anime Sabrina was a lot more interesting than her game counterpart, though I liked what they did with her in BW2

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Satoshi/Ash is well least to me is more interesting Red character then Game's Red or Pokesup's Red as he is not a perfect nor
He is not this mute pc character and his skill as pokemon trainer is realistic as 11 year old kid that go on Pokemon journey would be likely not great to starting with and almost got themselves kill or have their life ruin by being a Pokemon trainers.
it is why i like Haruka more then Sapphire as she is just a kid have real flawed as we are in the real life.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Red character? What character does Red or ANY player character have?! They're just the player character's avatar, Red only stands out because he shows up beyond his debut game

Redstar45

Red character? What character does Red or ANY player character have?! They're just the player character's avatar, Red only stands out because he shows up beyond his debut game
He was in pocket monsters paper animal guidebook and later show up as a main character of Pocket Monsters (96) manga and others later manga until the Origin (2013) had him in his frlg outfit as his game anime debuts same thing can be said for Green Okido ( it is what Blue Oak is referred in Japanese culture). But him and Green show up (Loosely) in the anime by Takeshi Shudõ as Satoshi (Ash Ketchum) & Shigeru Okido (Gary Oak) respective first in the 97's

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Oh this is easy.

Anime Team Flare> Game's Flare by miles. They are actually a threat among other things.

Manga Team Flare> The games version. Same deal and they are coherent.

Anime Gladion> Gladion in both sets of games. I appreciate USUM for giving Gladion more depth to why he stole Type:Null. (To train it to better protect his family from the dangers of Ultra Space.) And adding more to his character beyond edge lord. But the anime has done more with him as a character.

Manga isn't too far behind, though he got sidelined pretty badly.

Anime Lillie> Lillie in both sets of games. Lillie has what is pretty much the same character arc in both games, she becomes inspired by you and several other people to take life into her own and resolves to use her strength to try and help Nebby and to try and get her mother into some sense.

SM gave Lillie a lot of focus and detail... but the way things wrapped up for her and her family are pretty sloppy. (People who say SM's story was about Lillie gaining independence from her mother, tend to forget one detail that... proves that factor wrong. She went back to her mother, to try and help her recover... leaving behind all her new friends and family in order to do so.)

USUM, she has less focus and detail because it isn't her story this time and the focus goes more on you and the whole of Alola. (That is a negative to her arc here, less time with Lillie means some things are easy to miss at best.) In addition to the Necrozma stuff taking things into a different course. (Not a negative and the damage isn't even bad outside of him being one of the bigger focus's.) But the ending she and her family gotten is much better wrapped up if you bother looking around, from before you go after the Elite 4 all the way to post RR.

Anime gave Lillie the best of both worlds. Amazing focus and an outcome that doesn't fly in the face of most of her character development.

We don't talk about Manga Lillie, she has no middle despite having a couple good moments.

Anime Lusamine> Original SM Lusamine. We have a reason to care about this woman in the anime and we get a lot of detail in her development. (Anime and USUM are tied to me in the best version of Lusamine.)

Manga Lusamine> Original SM Lusamine. Manga Lusamine is what the SM Lusamine should have been in actually showing us nuance to her villainy and in addition to portraying her as less cruel, focused more on the crazy from grief aspect the games tried to imply.

Making her pretty scary when you actually connect things with her and both sets of games. (Manga actually DOES expand on elements from the games while telling its own story, unlike the anime that does what it pleases.)

Anime Guzma> Game Guzma as a villain. (In SM, he was just a meme. In USUM, he had character development... but neither done much as a villain. Anime Guzma however... gets under my skin in all the right ways.)

shoz999

Surge has two rather interesting counterparts. So in the anime, they focus more on the brawns of the character, turning Surge into this big tough gym leader where he values strength above all else HOWEVER in the Adventures manga, they go in the complete opposite direction where they expand upon the brains of the character, turning Surge into this craft tech-saavy hunter who utilizes all sorts of traps and gadgets. For me personally, I like the Adventures counterpart better as it reminds me a lot of this picture from the TCG which you really don't get from the anime. I just freaking love it when Raichu tries out those binoculars lol.

Secret-Mission.jpg

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Surge has two rather interesting counterparts. So in the anime, they focus more on the brawns of the character, turning Surge into this big tough gym leader where he values strength above all else HOWEVER in the Adventures manga, they go in the complete opposite direction where they expand upon the brains of the character, turning Surge into this craft tech-saavy hunter who utilizes all sorts of traps and gadgets. For me personally, I like the Adventures counterpart better as it reminds me a lot of this picture from the TCG which you really don't get from the anime. I just freaking love it when Raichu tries out those binoculars lol.

Secret-Mission.jpg

It also fits in with him being a soldier in the war, as he'd obviously use the binoculars to spy on enemy ground.

shoz999

270px-Iris_Drayden_Adventures.png

So Pokemon Champion Iris finally made her debut in Pokemon Adventures BW2 and I never thought I say this about a Pokemon character, but older Iris is pretty beautiful? Like not pretty and cute. I mean beautiful as in she's a beauty but it's pretty clear that even though she's grown older, she still retains her youthful energetic wild outdoors charm behind that dress lol. Other than that, Iris of the Pokemon Adventures manga is my favorite counterpart of the character because although she does act as Black's travel companion for some time, she also act as Black's rival during the Pokemon League which just makes so much freaking sense considering that she also aims to be Pokemon champion. I prefer Iris's role from the games over the anime but I like Pokemon Adventures take more because they just expands upon the character further.

Redstar45

270px-Iris_Drayden_Adventures.png

So Pokemon Champion Iris finally made her debut in Pokemon Adventures BW2 and I never thought I say this about a Pokemon character, but older Iris is pretty beautiful? Like not pretty and cute. I mean beautiful as in she's a beauty but it's pretty clear that even though she's grown older, she still retains her youthful energetic wild outdoors charm behind that dress lol. Other than that, Iris of the Pokemon Adventures manga is my favorite counterpart of the character because although she does act as Black's travel companion for some time, she also act as Black's rival during the Pokemon League which just makes so much freaking sense considering that she also aims to be Pokemon champion. I prefer Iris's role from the games over the anime but I like Pokemon Adventures take more because they just expands upon the character further.
Eh i like anime background of her character

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Cilan in the games is vastly different from Cilan in the anime. In the anime, he’s pretty cool and confident, and inserts food-based puns into everything, even catching a Pokemon: “I got a (Pokemon’s name) with good taste!” in the Japanese version. In the games, he’s a bit more muted and rather indecisive, as seen in one of his defeat quotes: “Looks like my timing was, uh… off?” I kind of prefer game Cilan over anime Cilan because of this, because it makes him a bit more human and more in touch with what the first Gym Leader in the games would be like.

I'd say Iris was better handled in the tv show because she was made less ditzy and more mature. She had a worse team in the show than in the games clearly but I liked her personality more.

Didn’t she always call Ash a “little kid” though? The game Iris never did that.

Redstar45

Cilan in the games is vastly different from Cilan in the anime. In the anime, he’s pretty cool and confident, and inserts food-based puns into everything, even catching a Pokemon: “I got a (Pokemon’s name) with good taste!” in the Japanese version. In the games, he’s a bit more muted and rather indecisive, as seen in one of his defeat quotes: “Looks like my timing was, uh… off?” I kind of prefer game Cilan over anime Cilan because of this, because it makes him a bit more human and more in touch with what the first Gym Leader in the games would be like.
I am fine with that.

Didn’t she always call Ash a “little kid” though? The game Iris never did that.
it is make sense as she think that Satoshi is kid the problem with that is she should be at least more experience gym leader or something like that as eight gym leader is usually stronger than 2nd gym leader (it is what Kasumi is anyway)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Lunalah said:
I'd say Iris was better handled in the tv show because she was made less ditzy and more mature. She had a worse team in the show than in the games clearly but I liked her personality more.

I agree that Iris is more enjoyable in the anime to some extent. Her catchphrase in the anime annoyed a lot of fans, but to me it was just part of her character and it didn't affect me. I thought that her anime team could've been better, but I thought that the anime gave her a much needed personality change. Frankly, the only thing that I liked about her in-game counterpart was her Champion status and B2/W2 outfit.