• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cover Fossil or Plume Fossil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Which one did you pick in your B/W games - The Cover Fossil or Plume Fossil? Did you use one of the Unova Fossil Pokemon on your team? Who is your favorite Gen 5 Fossil Pokemon, Carracosta or Archeops? What do you think of this Fossil pair compared to the Fossils of other regions?

Leonhart

Imagineer
I didn't particularly care for the Gen V Fossil Pokemon, although I suppose that Protoga (Tirtouga) is somewhat cute at the very least. I chose the Cover Fossil in Black, White 2, and Black 2 for that reason.

Cat's Eye Draco

Cover Fossil. There weren't many water types besides Carracosta that I liked in Gen V, and as much as I liked Archeops's design and high speed/attack stats, its Defeatist ability could be a real pain sometimes.

Eternalfalcon

Unova champion
I choose plume as I already had a water type that being dewott but I love both of them equally, in my opinion they have great designs and awesome stats I love sweeping with either of them, I think why I love them so much comes down to nostalgia for the episode, I forget what it's called but it's the one where tirtouga is from the past I think

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Black_and_Costa.png

The cover fossil. Tirtouga/Carracosta is my favorite turtle Pokemon and I think the sea turtle/flightless bird was a welcome addition to fossils. One thing I notice is that both Carracosta and Archeops both play around a risk and reward battle style, Carracosta having Shell Smash and Archeops having the Defeatist ability and I freaking love it. I especially like Costa, Black's Tirtouga/Carracosta from the Pokemon Adventures manga who has a stubborn badass old man personality lol. Black's relationship with his Carracost is basically, "Please notice me Senpai!" lol.

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
I chose the Cover Fossil while playing through Pokémon Black. I found Tirtouga to be cute, and Carracosta was a solid Pokémon to use. On top of that, I am not a huge risk-taker, so Archeops' Defeatist is a really big turn-off for me.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Cover mainly because of the bad Ability Archen and Archeops have. I really like the Archen line more than the Tortouga line but that awful Defeatist Ability makes me not want to use it.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Can’t decide as both are great. I’ll probably say Archeops due to liking it longer

Leonhart

Imagineer
Cat's Eye Draco said:
Cover Fossil. There weren't many water types besides Carracosta that I liked in Gen V, and as much as I liked Archeops's design and high speed/attack stats, its Defeatist ability could be a real pain sometimes.

Abagoura (Carracosta) actually has an appealing design now that I think about it, although I never would've used one myself despite that, because from what I remember the species has a low Speed stat, and I tend to use Pokemon that are fast. And while on the subject, I always thought that Abagoura looked a lot like an older version of Kamex (Blastoise) without the shell cannons.

MockingJ

Banned
Plume fossil because I needed a Flying Pokemon and didn't like any of the others available in Gen 5. I think that Tirtouga looks awful and is a cheap copy of that prototype turtle Pokemon from the old GS beta days.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Cover, duh. Defeatist is just too awful to deal with. Truant at least keep a legendary-tier Pokemon in check, and Slaking is thicc enough you can live through the break

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
First time playing, I chose the Cover fossil as Serperior was my starter and, like it’s been stated BW didn’t really have any favorable Water types. I like both tbh, even with Defeatist being Arches’ only abilities.

I prefer the cover fossil over the dome fossil, but I like it as much as like I the helix... as far as the rock/water fossil Pokémon go.

Aerodactyl > Arche... just because its ability isn’t completely useless.

Last edited:

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Cover Fossil. Even though I like Archeops it’s ability is useless, if it only had something like Truant it would be great!

TwilightBlade

I like Water types so I always picked the Cover Fossil and just traded for the Plume Fossil. I never used either of the Unova Ffossil Pokemon however, because I thought Carracosta was too slow and Archeops has a horrible ability.

NeedsAName

Haven't played Black or White but I got an Archen in a fan-game where there were almost no Rock-types and I loved using it on my team. Worked great against the flying gym. I still love Archen, but I feel Tirtouga/Carracosta have really bad designs, an overused type-combo (Also Omanyte, Omastar, Kabuto, Kabutops, Corsola, Relicanth, Binacle, Barbaracle, and Drednaw), and don't have anything that I can't use something else for.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NeedsAName said:
Haven't played Black or White but I got an Archen in a fan-game where there were almost no Rock-types and I loved using it on my team. Worked great against the flying gym. I still love Archen, but I feel Tirtouga/Carracosta have really bad designs, an overused type-combo (Also Omanyte, Omastar, Kabuto, Kabutops, Corsola, Relicanth, Binacle, Barbaracle, and Drednaw), and don't have anything that I can't use something else for.

I dislike the overuse of the generic Water/Rock type combination as well, because it's been done so often that it makes things predictable. But I still think that having a Fossil Pokemon with a dull type combination is better than having a Fossil Pokemon with a self-sabotaging Ability.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Both fossils were very useful you can use one as a surfer and one as a flyer and I used both of them many times.They both had flaws Archeops ability was bad and Carracosta had a bad typing.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
I dislike the overuse of the generic Water/Rock type combination as well, because it's been done so often that it makes things predictable. But I still think that having a Fossil Pokemon with a dull type combination is better than having a Fossil Pokemon with a self-sabotaging Ability.

I don't think there's even anything that bad about the Water and Rock combination that most fossil Pokemon have other than the 4 x weakness to Grass attacks of course. But that's still just a minor flaw in my book.

you can use one as a surfer and one as a flyer and I used both of them many times.

Yes we know since you already said that in your previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.