• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cover Letters?

Firebrand

Indomitable
Okay, so I don't know if there are any professional/published authors on the forum who are even going to see this. If not, mods, feel free to shut this one down. But it's something I'm currently working on, and I was hoping for a little help.

Earlier this year, I self-published a manuscript of mine. It was a good place to start, because I began to learn how the publishing business works. I was going to hold off on going to actual publishers for a little while, probably after I interned at a publishing house through college. However, I think it's time for me to push up my schedule.

Another manuscript I have is... well, kind of a literary experiment. Every major plot event is based off of a Grimm fairy tale. I started writing this a few years back, just before fairy tales became really hot. Now with the popularity of shows like Grimm and Once Upon a Time, and movies like Snow White and the Huntsman, it's clear that the general public is going through a bit of a fairy tale kick, and the best time to strike is when the iron is hot.

So. I've been going through the process of getting the materials that the publishers I'm submitting to require (a synopsis of the book, a selection of early chapters, other information like that) and now all that remains is the cover letter. And unfortunately, I don't really know where to begin on that.

I've looked online to see how to go about it, but those sources have been vague at best and contradictory at worst. If anyone here has any information that could possibly help, it would be much appreciated.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Okay, so I don't know if there are any professional/published authors on the forum who are even going to see this.

*swings in* Hi, guys!

Anyway, let's put it this way. Have you ever written a cover letter for a job before? It's basically the same thing, only you're talking about writing instead of why people should hire you.

If you haven't, let me just run down the basics.

1. The greeting. Go out of your way to figure out who will read the manuscript. Here's where I have to make one recommendation. Don't go directly to the publisher. Most publishers these days either don't have a slush pile (what the industry calls unsolicited -- without an agent -- manuscripts sent into a publisher) or reject a huge number of the ones that get stuffed in there. Your best bet is to find a literary agent first because lit agents will increase your chances of getting looked over tremendously. The reason why I say go with a lit agent in this point is because it's frequently easier to find out who would receive your manuscript in a lit agent's office because, well, most lit agent offices are basically like law practices and therefore have the agent's name right in the company title or at least readily available. Few publishing houses will put contact information for their acquisitions editors (the people who decide to publish your work) on their website.

It's a good idea to open with the person's name, simply because that makes it more personal. If you make it more personal, you'll automatically show that you've bothered to do your research about the publisher/agent in question.

2. The opening paragraph. How this is handled tends to depend on who you're sending to. I've seen cover letters for magazines that open with a "hi, how are you, hope the weather's awesome." I've also seen very formal openings. For book publishing, it's always a good idea to start off formally, usually by introducing yourself and going over why you're writing.

3. The contents. You can do this in any order, but these need to be somewhere in the body of your letter:
- What you're submitting (i.e., the summary of your manuscript -- go as detailed as possible without spending paragraphs detailing your work).
- Why it fits in with what the agent represents (or if you insist, what the publisher normally handles). You'll generally want to spend more time talking about this than the summary because you'll want to show that you know what you're talking about. Do your research about the agent or publisher first. Use the latest edition of Writer's Market (a comprehensive guide to publishers and literary agents) or a similar text to find the basics, and go online and look up the publisher/agent's website to see what else they've handled. It's a good idea to namedrop a few titles, but you can also get away with talking about the genres they also cover and how those match up to your work.
- It's also a good idea to come prepared with a reason why people should publish your work. Talking about how new spins on fairy tales are the in-thing might be a bit risky because your work will be published about one to two years down the line, and trends in literature can change within months. (Fairy tales are already going out, for example.) But it would definitely be a good thing to talk about the ways your book will fill a niche that nothing else has already -- or, in other words, what's new and different about that book and why people will flock to it.

4. Include your experience. Mention that you've self-published. Mention anything else you've published, even if it was a poem when you were ten in some kind of anthology for kids that took basically anything.

5. Close with your contact information. Mention that you hope to hear from them soon and include the best ways to reach you. If you don't have a business e-mail (i.e., one with your name instead of, for example, awesomemcawesomename43@yahoo.com), get one.

6. Sign it, and you're done!

Remember that cover letters should never be more than a page long. (Times New Roman or other reasonable/professional font, twelve-point, one-inch margins.) You'll want to go in detail about everything, but you'll also want to keep in mind that anyone who looks at your packet -- be they agents or publishers or publishing interns -- are busy people. You don't want them to feel as if they're going to spend craploads of time on just your letter.

Other than that, yeah, it's really not that difficult.

If you need any other help, Writer's Market (the online version or the print version) is really the definitive guide for writers. It also includes reliable tips on things like writing that cover letter and whatnot. Mediabistro is a good resource too, but you'll have to subscribe (which costs a bit) to access some of its features and tutorials. (If you're using it for just this, though, they do offer a two-week free trial.)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
I think I should have included this in the first post. Anyway, I'm submitting to Tor-Forge and DAW Books, both fantasy/sci-fi publishers that are currently accepting open submissions. In DAW's case, at the moment they prefer that to an agent-sponsored work. So, these letters will be going to a publisher, not an agent. Eventually, I'll probably be working through an agent, but this is more just an exercise for me to see where my writing stands. If it gets accepted (which I doubt), fantastic. If not, well, I've got a four-year stint at college to find an agent.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I think I should have included this in the first post. Anyway, I'm submitting to Tor-Forge and DAW Books, both fantasy/sci-fi publishers that are currently accepting open submissions. In DAW's case, at the moment they prefer that to an agent-sponsored work. So, these letters will be going to a publisher, not an agent. Eventually, I'll probably be working through an agent, but this is more just an exercise for me to see where my writing stands. If it gets accepted (which I doubt), fantastic. If not, well, I've got a four-year stint at college to find an agent.

Advice still applies, good sir. Find out as much as possible about who you're sending the letter to (both the company and the actual person) and tailor your points around those other things I've mentioned. Please to not be discounting my advice just because of something I said in point the first.

Not to mention it's still a good idea to find an agent. That's shiny that Tor is accepting open submissions, but Tor is also the best-known sci-fi/fantasy publisher in the industry (and an imprint of a big-name publisher at that). DAW too. Got any idea how many manuscripts are in the slush pile already? Even some of the good ones are most likely getting skipped over, just because agented work tends to get priority with the whole "pre-filtered" thing.

Last edited:

Ausgirl

Pfft this is a Pokemon forum where most people are around 12 years of age. The best you'll find here are fan fiction writers, which is hardly considered professional. My advice is to go to your nearest library or bookstore and find a book which actually looks at how to write resumes. Most will provide examples on how to write resumes for a variety of professions.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Pfft this is a Pokemon forum where most people are around 12 years of age. The best you'll find here are fan fiction writers, which is hardly considered professional.

*waves* (Former, but it still counts) professional blogger and freelance writer who's studying publishing under actual professional editors. Most of my advice actually came from two such professionals, a freelance (magazine) journalist and an actual acquisitions editor. The most I did for some points was change the wording (of advice I got from the former) from "pitch letter" to "cover letter" and apply what I learned from the latter. I also know that I'm not the only one who is or has been in any capacity professional. (I'm counting interns in this mix as well, just for the record.)

Moreover, the average age in this forum is most likely more along the lines of sixteen, and note that I said average. There are plenty of late teens, early twenties, and older. Go view the Author's Profile thread if you don't believe me. Not to mention that is hilariously not true for the general population of Serebii, given that most of its active members are older teens because, y'know, Pokémon is an old fandom with a lot of old hats who have been around since Gen I, II, and III. Seriously, way to insult your own fandom by implying that just because it's for kids means teens and adults shouldn't like it too. A lot of kid-friendly franchise on the internet have older fans, even newer ones. (My Little Pony, anyone?) So there really is no set age limit to liking something and wanting to participate in its fandom.

Not to mention if you're going to say that Feralninja isn't going to get a response, it might be a good idea to avoid saying it after he got a lengthy response. Sorry; I just don't appreciate it when I get blown off.

So... yeah. Please don't make an assumption about the internet, which is actually full of pretty awesome people with a wide variety of interests.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
Advice still applies, good sir. Find out as much as possible about who you're sending the letter to (both the company and the actual person) and tailor your points around those other things I've mentioned. Please to not be discounting my advice just because of something I said in point the first.

Oh, no, the advice is sound, and useful. I just don't think I'm going to track down an agent, not when I'm so (comparatively) young. I'd like to make some professional connections first. I'm doing this as a training exercise, for lack of a better term. Someday in the not-too-distant future I'll definitely find myself an agent, but right now I'm going to see how far I can get on my own power. Granted, it probably won't be that far, but at least I can learn a few things along the way.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Oh, no, the advice is sound, and useful. I just don't think I'm going to track down an agent, not when I'm so (comparatively) young. I'd like to make some professional connections first. I'm doing this as a training exercise, for lack of a better term. Someday in the not-too-distant future I'll definitely find myself an agent, but right now I'm going to see how far I can get on my own power. Granted, it probably won't be that far, but at least I can learn a few things along the way.

Sorry if I sounded hostile earlier. Either way, good luck. b)'')b

Not to push you, but just a side suggestion: it might be useful to you to give submitting your manuscript or at least queries (explaining that you're a student who's interested in the publishing industry) to agents and book doctors (which are actually a real thing) a shot if you've got time and nothing to lose. Those people tend to be more accessible than acquisitions editors, so they'll be more likely to get back to you with advice if you ask them. Also, don't worry about how old you are. Some self-published authors got their start pretty early (hello, Paolini), so your age when it comes to going on the hunt for agents and whatnot is actually pretty irrelevant, assuming you can create a convincing background (i.e., show that you've published at least once already) for yourself. (Note: You can pad out your resume with literally any writing that you've already published -- blog articles included, especially if you were paid for them. You can actually hit up sites like Skyword to do this, and this is a useful tip for your cover letter as well. Always a good idea to get started on this one as soon as you can to make it easier to break into the business -- or at least get noticed by agents or editors.)

xXSaberXx

xxxXsightless
Okay, so I don't know if there are any professional/published authors on the forum who are even going to see this. If not, mods, feel free to shut this one down. But it's something I'm currently working on, and I was hoping for a little help.

Earlier this year, I self-published a manuscript of mine. It was a good place to start, because I began to learn how the publishing business works. I was going to hold off on going to actual publishers for a little while, probably after I interned at a publishing house through college. However, I think it's time for me to push up my schedule.

Another manuscript I have is... well, kind of a literary experiment. Every major plot event is based off of a Grimm fairy tale. I started writing this a few years back, just before fairy tales became really hot. Now with the popularity of shows like Grimm and Once Upon a Time, and movies like Snow White and the Huntsman, it's clear that the general public is going through a bit of a fairy tale kick, and the best time to strike is when the iron is hot.

So. I've been going through the process of getting the materials that the publishers I'm submitting to require (a synopsis of the book, a selection of early chapters, other information like that) and now all that remains is the cover letter. And unfortunately, I don't really know where to begin on that.

I've looked online to see how to go about it, but those sources have been vague at best and contradictory at worst. If anyone here has any information that could possibly help, it would be much appreciated.

*waves* Hi feral! Saber here. I wrote pokemon fanfiction on here a long time ago, and just recently got my original manuscript picked up for publication by Viking/Penguin, and it's due out in 2014. I've been immersed in the publishing world for about three years now. ^^ I've been in your shoes!

I assume what you want is to send these people what we call a 'query' - that is, a short synopsis of your book that tells an 'agent' what it is about. You can either query an agent, who will sell your book to a publisher for you and has great contacts normal people don't, or you can query a publisher directly with less chance of success. I have an agent I got through querying, and she's been a lifesaver.

So; first of all, focus on writing your book. When that's done, write your query. There are many ways to write one, but serebii probably isn't the best place to research that. When I decided to go professional, I went to the absolutewrite forums - a great resource for any writer. You can sign up there and there are tons of threads about how to write a query/how to break into publishing.

I wish you all the best, and never give up your dream! ^^

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
There are many ways to write one, but serebii probably isn't the best place to research that.

I'd hate to potentially derail the conversation (although I'm hoping this will encourage more and more writers, editors, and publishing folks to come out of the woodwork), but this is the second time in this thread that someone's said something like this. Why do people keep discounting writing forums? You're a professional. I was a professional in one sense and am now training under professionals to be one in another sense. There's professionals who haven't even spoken up. The whole point of writing forums is to help each other as writers, and there's goodness knows how many professionals on this forum who actually can here. It won't help Feral to turn him away by telling him that professionals don't exist on this forum when, well, they do.

In the end, it doesn't matter that these are fanfiction forums on a Pokémon board. The point is that we're first and foremost a writing community; it's just that we happen to be geared towards something specific. The truth is that the internet is a vast place, and interest boards are frequented by people of all kinds of backgrounds with all kinds of skill levels in their occupations. Just because we're a Pokémon board doesn't mean that all we ever do is play Pokémon. By this logic, we'd have no grounds whatsoever to give advice on anything concerning writing because, "lol what do a bunch of kids who only ever play video games know, amirite?"

What I'm trying to say is that advice can really come from anywhere. While I do recommend reading things like Writer's Market and other published and vouched-for resources in order to get a better grasp on how to get into the industry, if you want to ask friends and a community you feel comfortable asking, you should go ahead and ask. You don't necessarily have to join an interest forum of writers -- which absolutewrite pretty much is -- in order to get feedback. Sometimes, you'll find what you're looking for in the communities you're used to visiting already.

That and I don't believe that Feral was in the wrong for asking here. How to get published is something that's probably on a lot of members' minds here, and if there are experienced folk in a community (which there are, quite obviously), then they should be encouraged to drop tips to curious members. I know that sounds confusing, but what I mean is that people have a question in mind. Some of us have answers. It's up to those of us with answer to, well, answer questions. As a writing community, communication thrives on the trading of information, so we shouldn't discourage people from asking by implying no one's experienced enough to know how to respond. If we can offer the people who have questions basically the same information a forum elsewhere provides, why send them elsewhere?

Well, that and I'm pretty sure you sort of missed the point of a lot of what Feral was saying, considering he's said he has no interest in getting an agent anyway. Not to be harsh or anything, but, well... *motions to the conversation where I've already tried to convince him to get one*

I don't mean to discount your advice in any way, naturally. If an author was looking for an agent (which I also highly encourage for reasons I've already stated in the thread), that would be sound advice. The problem is that Feral is soliciting publishers as an experiment, so I don't think he's necessarily looking for a book deal here. Not to mention considering the fact that he's already mentioned the fact that he's compiled a packet -- including what would traditionally go into a query -- in that post you quoted, I think he's good to go in terms of at least that part of things. What he's asking for here is an actual cover letter, the part wherein he establishes contact with an agent -- or, in his case, editorial assistant/acquisitions agent. By all means, if he'd like us to look over what he's compiled so far in the rest of his bundle, I'm sure quite a few of us would be more than happy to take a look and tell him what he could do to improve things and potentially score some attention. However, I get the feeling that's not what he wants advice for.

Last edited:

xXSaberXx

xxxXsightless
Why do people keep discounting writing forums?

I wasn't discounting serebii in any way. I simply said it was probably not the best place. It is a good place.

Just because we're a Pokémon board doesn't mean that all we ever do is play Pokémon. By this logic, we'd have no grounds whatsoever to give advice on anything concerning writing because, "lol what do a bunch of kids who only ever play video games know, amirite?"

I'm hearing what you're saying. I definitely hate it when people say that kind of stuff, too. I struggled with a lot of that kind of hate and snobbery when I first started writing.

What I'm trying to say is that advice can really come from anywhere.

Yup! Totally right. It can!

That and I don't believe that Feral was in the wrong for asking here.

I didn't say he was in the wrong at all. I just wanted to give my opinion and hopefully help.

Well, that and I'm pretty sure you sort of missed the point of a lot of what Feral was saying, considering he's said he has no interest in getting an agent anyway.

I probably did miss the point! I just read his first post and blathered my advice because I had to jet for dinner! Oops!

Regardless, thanks for your clarifications on those things. ^^

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
All right. I drafted the letter last night, here's what I have. Critiques and suggestions greatly appreciated.

August 21, 2012​
Feralninja
X Street
Y Town
###-###-####

Tom Doherty Associates, LLC
Acquisitions Editor, Science Fiction and Fantasy
175 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10010

Dear Sir/Madam
Enclosed is the plot synopsis of the novel, Sin. Also included are the first three chapters. Sin is a fantasy novel, set in a fictitious realm based loosely off of feudal Europe. At first glance, the story seems generic enough in the field of epic fantasy. It follows the story of a young man named Sin, raised on the charity of his liege lord on the frontier of society. Sin accompanies his childhood best friend Lisana on an odyssey across the kingdom so that she can be trained in the arts of sorcery. They ultimately save their homeland from a tyrannical despot with the assistance of an army of the friends and allies they gather along the way. The story differs from the norm in that every major plot event is drawn in some way from a Grimm fairy tale, or a fragment of traditional Celtic folklore.
I have had only one other published work to this point. I self-published another manuscript, Blazing Heart, earlier this spring. It became available on Amazon in mid-March, and has to date sold x print copies and y ebooks.
Enclosed with the plot synopsis are the opening three chapters of the novel. They set the stage and provide groundwork for the tale, though they are merely a fraction of the larger work. I thank you for taking the time for reading the submitted material, and await your response.

Yours truly,

Feralninja

Obviously, name and address changed for the sake of privacy. I also substituted x and y as placeholders for my sales of Blazing Heart until I can get an up-to-date report (which should be emailed to me by this evening). I would especially appreciate help on the transition to this sentence: "The story differs from the norm in that every major plot event is drawn in some way from a Grimm fairy tale, or a fragment of traditional Celtic folklore."

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
One of the things that immediately jumps out at me is the opening. Sure, it gets right to the point, but it's not really that much of an exciting hook. Think of the opening to your letter as being like the prologue to a book: if you don't grab your audience's attention from the get-go, you'll find it'll be harder to grab it later on. There's a variety of different ways to do that, but one of the best ways that I've seen is to open with a sentence or two about the work and then explain what you're enclosing. For example, here's a paraphrased version of the opening paragraph to a pitch letter (same concept as what you're doing, just for magazines) I once wrote.

(And to answer anyone's question, yes, it actually got published. It's... probably better not to ask about what kind of magazine would accept this idea. The answer is, "It was really weird.")

Martha Stewart has made her name as a domestic goddess, so it's easy to trust any cookware with her name on it to be nothing but the best. However, when the power is cut and resources are dwindling thanks to post-meteoric geological disasters and climate changes, how useful can her pans be? In a 500-word article for your back-of-book review department, I propose analyzing the Martha Stewart Collection stainless steel frying pan for both how well it cooks and how well it can be used to defend your food caches from scavengers.

(Note: The actual thing was a bit clearer and went on for a bit longer, but you get the idea.)

In any case, there's a lot of things to note here. The first sentence is designed to grab a reader's attention by pushing them directly into the concept of the work. Just enough is said to introduce the reader without giving too much away. (The paragraphs following this excerpt would go into more detail about the work's premise and how it fits the other material put out by the publisher -- or in this case, the magazine.) There's also a transition (albeit it could be smoother) between the hook and the actual proposal, and really, there's various ways you could pull that part off. You could try a question, or you could simply say something along the lines of, "Deep within a world strongly resembling feudal Europe, the characters face a journey full of danger and intrigue. Sin, a [insert number here]-word/page fantasy novel, is a complete work that promises plenty of action and magic for (insert intended audience here, such as 'the young adult age group'). I have enclosed the first three chapters for your review." Only, you know, better worded because you know the novel better than I do. Not to mention I'm running on three or four hours of sleep and can't come up with pitch letter material worth crap at the moment.

Of course, other authors might tell you that it's okay to start off with just something along the lines of, "I have enclosed these chapters for you to review," and while that's kosher too, I've always been uncomfortable with how demanding it sounds. Imagine if some stranger walked up to you on the street and said, "Here's a baby. You take care of it now." So it's best to figure out a way to word things politely, rather than simply saying, "I've enclosed this thing for you." One of my favorite ways (that I've seen other people use, anyway) simply said, "I would like to submit my manuscript, [insert title here], to you." It still requests the recipient to look over your work, but it sounds like it asks for permission to have it be viewed, rather than sounding as if you're dumping your work off on them.

Another thing I noticed is that you've started off by mentioning that Sin resembles a generic high fantasy. Here's a tip. Literary agents (and by extension acquisitions editors) will tell you one important thing about belittling your work: "Okay, so why should we look at it?" Remember, editors, assistants, and agents have a lot of manuscripts to go through on a daily basis. Not only do you need to hook them, but you also have to convince them to give your work the time of day. You're not going to do that by saying your work is generic. They'll simply respond with, "Okay, your work is generic." Then, they'll set your packet aside and go to the next author in line.

While this isn't license to be egotistical, you'll also want to avoid selling yourself short. It would be a good idea to dodge the entire idea of comparing yourself to other people anyway, given that (as I've said earlier) this can be a dangerous thing because of how quickly literary trends shift. If you acknowledge that your story sounds generic or if you attempt to say it's better than a similar story, then that probably won't mean much to an acquisitions editor because they're always on the lookout for the next trend -- as in, something different but interesting. Highlight the good points of your work without leaning on comparisons to others (until you get to the point about why it would fit in with the publisher or agency, anyway). Don't say it's generic; say it's a new take on a fairy tale style of writing (or however you would define what you're doing). Be confident in the creativity of your writing, and make sure you go out of your way to sell yourself to a publisher by making it clear it's fresh and creative. It would also help to go into more detail about the plot in order to make the synopsis itself sound as creative as you set out to make your story sound; the details we get as it is are vague at best and actually advertise your story as being pretty generic. (Sorry to put it that bluntly, but there's a lot of stories about two kids going on a journey only to end up fighting against a tyrant. Heck, half the fics in this fandom are basically about that. What makes your story different?) However, note that some publishers or agents will ask for details in a separate letter (the query letter -- what Saber was talking about), but it would still be a good idea to reword your synopsis so that the premise still sounds new and interesting without losing its briefness, if that makes sense.

Lastly, one of the biggest pieces of advice is to link your novel to them. Remember how I said it's a bad idea to compare yourself to other people? Well, here's where you can bend that rule just a bit: you'll also want to gain the editor or agent's attention by convincing them that your work fits the kind of stuff they publish. Do your research and find similarities between books already on the list. Is it a high fantasy like a novel they've printed just this year? Does it contain a coming-of-age story like another book? Don't make it seem like you're simply rewriting those books, but do make sure to clarify that your novel is a good fit with the house or agency. That not only helps give them an idea of what your book is about, but it also tells them that it might be easier to sell your novel than others because it's right up their alley.

Hope that's not too confusing, and hope it helps a bit. It would be interesting to see where you take this from here.

xXSaberXx

xxxXsightless
Yay feral! It looks really professional and polished! I don't know if you wanted in-depth crit on it or line by line, so I did a bit of both. I hope it helps! Keep in mind this is just my opinion and you can ignore it completely! ^^

Dear Sir/Madam (Tom, so a 'sir', right? Addressing people vaguely is sometimes off-putting.I learned that the hard way. Maybe you'd like to put Dear Mr. Doherty instead? It's amazing what a semi-casual greeting can do! It makes them feel human.)

Enclosed is the plot synopsis of the novel, Sin. Also included are the first three chapters. (Save this for the last few lines - get to the story right away so that their attention doesn't wander.) Sin is a fantasy novel, set in a fictitious realm based loosely off of feudal Europe. (This would be a great first line!) At first glance, the story seems generic enough in the field of epic fantasy. (It doesn't do you any good to call your own story 'generic'. I would take this line out, it tells us nothing about the story and is unneeded. Every sentence needs to capture attention! Acquisitions people are very busy.) It follows the story of a young man named Sin, raised on the charity of his liege lord on the frontier of society. (What does 'frontier of society' mean? I'm confused. Elaborate? Did you mean 'frontier of civilization' ala the wild west? That's what I get from that.) Sin accompanies his childhood best friend Lisana on an odyssey across the kingdom so that she can be trained in the arts of sorcery. (Why does Sin accompany her? Sin is our main character, we need to know the whys and the motivations behind him that drive the plot!) They ultimately save their homeland from a tyrannical despot with the assistance of an army of the friends and allies they gather along the way. The story differs from the norm in that every major plot event is drawn in some way from a Grimm fairy tale, or a fragment of traditional Celtic folklore. (Acquisitions editors see a lot of people claiming 'the story differs from the norm'. I would take it out and just focus on describing the Grimm fairy tale aspect to tighten.)

I have had only one other published work to this point. I self-published another manuscript, Blazing Heart, earlier this spring. It became available on Amazon in mid-March, and has to date sold x print copies and y ebooks. (Great thinking, including these tidbits!)

Enclosed with the plot synopsis are the opening three chapters of the novel. (You put this here, too. Awesome. Take it out from the beginning, it slows your description of your story down). They set the stage and provide groundwork for the tale, though they are merely a fraction of the larger work. I thank you for taking the time for reading the submitted material, and await your response.

Yours truly,

Feralninja

Overall it's a good description, but I don't get a sense of who Sin is, why he does what he does, what drives him, and why we should be interested in following a story with him in it. A few words describing him (A cold, aloof boy named Sin, a brave, but unsure boy named Sin) would go a long way to drawing us into and making us care about the protagonist's journey. I also don't see how this story is different. What does their journey consist of? Just taking off and beating the bad guy and saving the kingdom? What obstacles stand in our heroes' way? Do they grow emotionally? It might seem like a lot to put, but including just one or two aspects would go a long way to capturing the attention of an Acquisition's person, telling them how it's unique, and making them want to request more!

GOOD LUCK! I believe in you! :D

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Side note:

(Tom, so a 'sir', right? Addressing people vaguely is sometimes off-putting.I learned that the hard way. Maybe you'd like to put Dear Mr. Doherty instead? It's amazing what a semi-casual greeting can do! It makes them feel human.)[/I]

As a note, Tom Doherty doesn't exactly receive manuscripts personally; that's basically the umbrella name covering imprints such as TOR/Forge. While I agree that Feral should make an effort to figure out who the manuscript is going to, it's just not going to be Tom, unfortunately. (Mr. Doherty is basically akin to a CEO, in other words. He is not the acquisitions editor for any of his imprints; he is the actual publisher -- i.e., the person that runs the entire house, not the person who reads your packet.)

I'm not saying it's a bad idea (although I'll get into that a bit more in just a sec). Just that when writing a greeting, it's definitely a good idea to be careful about who you're addressing. While agents generally put their names on their firms, editors don't put their names on houses. So if you're writing to a publishing company named John Doe Associates, chances are the person who will be handling your packet won't be John Doe himself (unlike how in agencies, you stand at a pretty good chance of having John Doe of John Doe and Associates read your work). It's a very easy mistake to make.

Also, I'm not sure how detailed I'd recommend Feral to get now that I'm looking at what they want. The requirements for Tom Doherty Associates note that much of this should go in the synopsis and that they're not looking for a query letter, so I'm actually thinking that maybe they're expecting a lot of the plot details to be in a separate document. If that's the case, then it might be a good idea to focus more on getting to the point (what the story is in terms of genre, how it would be a perfect fit for the company, who Feral is as a writer, and so forth) than summarizing the plot and expanding a lot of these points in the full synopsis. It actually also explains how to address his cover letter/packet, so... huh. Guess that actually should relieve a lot of the stress there. Still, I'd agree about the suggestion concerning ditching the "sir/madam" (as it feels even more impersonal than anything else) and going for a straight, "To/Dear acquisitions editor." Unless he's willing to dig for a name. (Note: You could try doing this by actually calling the house. At worst, they might tell you that they can't give out personal information, so you really have nothing to lose. And hey, if it's anything like the magazine industry, they might actually be pretty chill about telling you that kind of thing. Of course, also note that for the larger houses, there might be multiple acquisitions editors for the same department, but I'm sure they'll help you out with figuring out how their acquisitions editors pick up packets -- and therefore, which one to name, if anyone. ...Which now sounds like I'm contradicting my earlier advice, but hey. Tl;dr, doesn't hurt to call and ask.)

Judging from the FAQ, it looks like they're expecting more of a self-advertisement out of the cover letter. It would help to introduce his work and what he's submitting (in part because they want that too, naturally), but maybe as he's editing this, he could think about expanding the parts concerning his credentials a bit more. They ask about experiences with the genre or subgenre, so Feral, can you think of ways to highlight your personal connections with the story? Maybe include a brief statement about how long you've been writing fantasy or about having studied or otherwise been connected to the time period you're writing about, if that makes sense. Every book has some kind of personal thread to it, and it looks like they want you to seek that out and bring that up somewhere in the biography part of your cover letter.

Either way, it looks like they want authors to save the full details of the story for the actual summary, rather than for the cover letter.

(And this, kids, is why it's always good to do your homework about the company you're sending a manuscript to before you offer advice to promising authors. Because otherwise, you end up like me, giving advice about things that wouldn't help people tighten up the areas the house wants to see from you. \o/)

Edit: In short, I guess what we haven't emphasized is that there's a difference between query letters and cover letters. Query letters are the documents in which you summarize your novel and advertise it to an editor; cover letters are the documents in which you just introduce yourself and your work and then attempt to advertise both to a prospective editor. There will be times (in fact, a lot of the time in general publishing -- pitch letters are exactly this, not to mention nonfiction proposals generally tend to do this) when editors or agents will want a document that functions as both, but there are other times, such as in this case, when they want them to be separate or when they'll want one but not the other. It's very important to do research and figure out what an agent or editor wants and how they want it for the exact reason we might have just demonstrated: a lot of the time, they'll actually tell you if you know where to look.

When it comes to cover letters (or at least the kind they want), to Feral, you can ignore the parts where I tell you to summarize your work because, well, they don't want a cover letter that functions as a query letter after all. So if you can figure out how to hook your recipient in while boiling your novel's summary down to a couple of short sentences (and while emphasizing why the novel is right for them, who you are, and how you're pretty connected to your subject), that should work. If it helps, one of the things I remember from an editor I knew whose house asks for similar cover letters is that they advised writers to use blurbs -- as in, something like a sixty-word snapshot of their work.

...And this probably is more confusing than it needs to be, so I'm just going to stop here and see if any of this made sense.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
Right. Okay. I'll try to synthesize these posts and form a coherent reply.

To Jax's more recent post: Yes, the reason I didn't put too much synopsis detail into the cover letter is because I had already made a separate document with a plot summary. As to the first sentence, I was following a rough template provided by this resource, and it seemed to urge me towards a more formal, polished first sentence. I had considered doing the kind of thing one sees on the back of a book, a quick hook into the plot, ending with a very ominous, catchy "story time is over". However, this steered me away from it. But now, I think it might be a good idea.

And yes, the generic bit didn't sit right with me either, but I needed a way to say that while this on first glance did look like that, it didn't. I think I've got another idea in mind. I'm going to do some retooling tonight and show what I've got tomorrow. I had considered adding in the coming-of-age elements, but thought that might look too stereotypical and contrived. But, looking over Tor's list, I have read a lot of books of theirs that have very strong elements of that. Couldn't hurt I suppose.

Lastly (for now), I'll probably go more into depth about personal history of writing and such when I know my Blazing Heart sales figures (basically when I know how many books I've sold and therefore how braggy I can be :p)

All right, may edit this post later with the new stuff, if no one else posts in the intervening time.

EDIT:
Revised letter, left out the contact stuff because that didn't change.

Since the dawn of human memory, demons have toiled under the yoke of magic, bound by powerful spells to the wills sorcerers. The king of demons is slain by his own court while striving to bring peace and equality to the realm. Now, eighteen years later, a sorceress comes of age, and must take up King Artos’s mission in a journey that will take her far from the place she once called home. She is accompanied by her demon vassals and her closest friend, an orphaned young man named Sin. Through a journey fraught with peril and treachery, they will soon realize that life is no fairy tale.

Enclosed is the plot synopsis of the novel, Sin, a 400-page fantasy novel set in a fictitious realm based off the untamed wilds that so inspired the Brothers Grimm. Sin is a new spin on the classic fairy tales that have inspired our imaginations and lurked in the darkest recesses of our nightmares. It follows the story of Sin, orphaned at birth and raised on the charity of his liege lord. All he has ever known has been the tiny village he was raised in, nestled in the forest on the southern border of the kingdom. Sin accompanies his childhood best friend Lisana on an odyssey across the kingdom so that she can be trained in the arts of sorcery, to protect her from brigands and feral demons. Through a series of events drawn from the treasured works of the Brothers Grimm, Sin and Lisana join a rebel army determined at all costs to overthrow the Chancellor, who has usurped the rightful king of the realm and has subjugated demons and humans alike in the name of pursuing the darkest of magics, necromancy.

I have had only one other published work to this point. I self-published another manuscript, Blazing Heart, earlier this spring. It became available on Amazon in mid-March, and has to date sold x print copies and y ebooks.

Enclosed with the plot synopsis are the opening three chapters of the novel. They set the stage and provide groundwork for the tale, though they are merely a fraction of the larger work. I thank you for taking the time for reading the submitted material, and await your response.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
It's rather odd that a resource would be asking you to write to the publisher. ._. Most companies will tell you to write to the acquisitions editor because that's who will be reading your work. Addressing your letter to the entire company seems impersonal, and addressing the publisher (as in, the person) misdirects your letter unless you're writing to a small house where the publisher is the acquisitions editor.

'Course, that's only one of the things I find odd about that article. Here's an article from a literary agency, and this one is from a published/self-published author. Both might help clarify matters a little more.

Anyway, it's really not that bad. I have to say, though, that I agree with Saber that bringing up that you're enclosing the synopsis and whatnot might sound redundant. I'd say get all of that over with in one line -- maybe by removing the piece that reads "enclosed is the plot synopsis of the novel" and shaping the remainder of the sentence into a full thought. (Might help avoid some wordiness there too.) The blurb at the very beginning looks pretty awesome -- like the kind of thing one would expect from a blurb (punchy and interesting enough to hook a reader), and considering you have that and considering TOR's guidelines, I'd say give editing out half of the second paragraph (starting from "It follows the story of Sin") a try, just to see if you end up with something a bit stronger. After all, they'll want you to talk more about your story within the synopsis, so... yeah.

In place of that summary, maybe bring out the idea that it's a new take on fairy tales a bit more. After all, fresh and new ideas might make an interesting business venture, so showing the editor that you offer a story that fills a niche that hasn't been explored yet will make your proposal a bit more tempting. That and it might still read a bit vaguely. I mean, sure, you have a plot summary following that, but you don't really address what's new about it or what elements you drew from the Brothers Grimm.

As for the biographical stuff, no worries. And of course, don't forget to include the personal connection part of things too, but you've probably already got that part down.

(Also, psst, but you don't need that comma in the last sentence. ;) That and "taking the time to read the submitted material" might sound a bit better. But that's just nitpicking, although, hey, never hurts to be anal when you're sending it to an editor, right?)