• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Crack'd, or How the Love of Seafood Saved Unova

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
How will cheren react to Halley?
To quote the Big Bang Theory: "Here's your cat, and here's your $20."
Did you get on the PM list for bobandbill's colosseum retelling, if so u know you had to wait at least two months betwe a updte.

Knightfall

Blazing Wordsmith
White Forest, mysterious government personal, a strange monster, sounds a lot like Half-Life 2. XD

In all seriousness, a great set of chapters. Now, Teiresias. I kid you not, that was the name I contemplated naming one of the "mysterious" characters in my own story after reading the Odyssey. Good thing I went with another name.

I agree with you Halley, I like Jared better as well. He can fight off the elderly.

Also, I believe I recall you saying something about Fabien and Blake reappearing in this story. Will that be soon?

Well, I'm sorry for the lack of reviews, and my lasp into silent readerdom, but I'm still here and enjoying every new chapter.

Knightfall signing off... ;005;

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Finally, Cheren and Bianca show up! Been waiting for them.

Yeah, me too. Don't worry; they'll be sticking around for a while. I just needed to get my core group of characters together, like with Kester, Sapphire, Felicity and Puck in Guide, or Pearl, Ashley, Iago and Cynthia in Trip.

The Liepard is blind and you named him Teiresias ha ha ha. Next thing you know we're going to have a distrusted Pokémon named Cassandra who can see the future as well.

It's a more appropriate name than you know. Teiresias... has been around a while. But more of that later.

Archeops is actually one of my favorite Pokémon, I really hope Candy will be able to evolve.

We'll see. I haven't planned out minor details like that yet, only the climax of the story. The rest I shall, as ever, invent as I go along.

Your choice of words for censorship are, as noted by even Halley, interesting to say the least.

Yes. She's a bit weird.

Well well well, it appears that some entity hollowed out a Liepard, I wonder what creature can do that. It's other abilities are rather amazing as well, Fear, Decay, Mental Perception.

Or stashed itself away in a dead Liepard. Could be either; not even I'm entirely sure yet. I have three or four potential explanations for Teiresias; I just need to figure out which one I want to use.

Ah, Cheren and Bianca, I wonder as to their reasons for showing up there in such a timely manner. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Yes, Cheren seems like the kind of guy who'd like to explain events exactly and give a set account of them.

As always, I enjoyed this and eagerly await more, regardless of the wait, which I forgive you for. It's simply too well written to be angry waiting for.

Heh. Well, let's hope the next one doesn't take so long. This one took so long I started to get bored while writing it, which is always a sign that I'm taking far, far too long. My usual style of writing is to work fast, edit each sentence as I type it and only look back if it doesn't feel like I want it to.

White Forest, mysterious government personal, a strange monster, sounds a lot like Half-Life 2. XD

All my characters need now is Alyx Vance and Dog to brave the strange new Unova and find out what the hell the Overseers are up to.

In all seriousness, a great set of chapters. Now, Teiresias. I kid you not, that was the name I contemplated naming one of the "mysterious" characters in my own story after reading the Odyssey. Good thing I went with another name.

Ah, my Teiresias has a very solid reason for the name. As eventually we will find out.

I agree with you Halley, I like Jared better as well. He can fight off the elderly.

Yes, Lauren really isn't a fighter. I suspect that when Jared looks back over this day tomorrow, he'll remember things quite differently.

Also, I believe I recall you saying something about Fabien and Blake reappearing in this story. Will that be soon?

I don't know. Depends on how the Green Party do in the local by-elections, I guess. I don't think I've ever focused so much on politics before, but then again, politics in Unova seems to centre on Anglo-Saxon gods, embodied demons and mysterious thefts, so it's slightly more action-packed than the normal kind.

Well, I'm sorry for the lack of reviews, and my lasp into silent readerdom, but I'm still here and enjoying every new chapter.

Doesn't matter. As long as you're enjoying things.

How will cheren react to Halley?
To quote the Big Bang Theory: "Here's your cat, and here's your $20."
Did you get on the PM list for bobandbill's colosseum retelling, if so u know you had to wait at least two months betwe a updte.

I have an awful confession to make: I never read all of it. I entered the fanfiction world at a time when there was already quite a lot of it, and I suppose the sheer bulk of it, coming as it did at a time when I really didn't have much time to spare reading fanfiction, put me off reading more than a few chapters here and there. The same goes for a lot of other fics that I claim to really like; I've usually not read all of them owing to a complex web of laziness, exhaustion and lack of time.

F.A.B.

Last edited:

ninjanerd

Don't stress over updating; at least you finish your stories. And a social life is way more important.

Your choice of names never ceases to interest me. They fit their nature so... wonderfully. Teiresias should be interesting. I always considered the real prophet to be one of my favorite characters of Antigone and Oedipus, being always right in the end.

Good story so far. There were some typos but it was an entertaining chapter!

Azurus

The Ancient Absol
There were some typos but it was an entertaining chapter!

If there are typos, it's always a good idea to help someone by pointing them out, in addition some places spell the same word differently and both spellings are correct, just incase you might be mistaken.

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
While I wasn't the bigest fan of End of Time I am rather enjoying this.

You have done something that will stick with me for quite a while. You wrote a better first chapter then ay other fction I have read to date. I absolutly love Jared and Halley.

While I liike the other readers was slightly put off by lauren she is slowly starting to grow on me. I can tell she id one of those fiercly loyal types that puts family and love first. She wil be a key player to watch.

As a person who has enjoyed the Iron Druid chronichels(a series using celtic/druid lore for a base) I am realy liking the intermingling of the two.

I wonderwhose really the good guys. Halley and her gang or Smythe? I think you wanted me to question this though.

I don't know; I prefer Jared. Lauren just seems annoying, and too timid. Despite the fact that she ran around all day in her childhood, Jared is still a better fighter. Halley though, she's just obnoxious. Jared seems to be the only...balanced...character :L

So do you have an obsession with polytheism or something? You seem to enjoy it :p

I'm already trying to figure out how the legendaries are going to fit in with the story...

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Don't stress over updating; at least you finish your stories. And a social life is way more important.

Your choice of names never ceases to interest me. They fit their nature so... wonderfully. Teiresias should be interesting. I always considered the real prophet to be one of my favorite characters of Antigone and Oedipus, being always right in the end.

Good story so far. There were some typos but it was an entertaining chapter!

Thanks, but would you mind pointing them out to me? I really don't have the time these days to comb over the chapter and find them myself, and even if I did, I'd probably miss them. The eye slides over one's own mistakes like a Seviper over greased glass.

If there are typos, it's always a good idea to help someone by pointing them out, in addition some places spell the same word differently and both spellings are correct, just incase you might be mistaken.

Uh, what he said.

While I wasn't the bigest fan of End of Time I am rather enjoying this.

You have done something that will stick with me for quite a while. You wrote a better first chapter then ay other fction I have read to date. I absolutly love Jared and Halley.

While I liike the other readers was slightly put off by lauren she is slowly starting to grow on me. I can tell she id one of those fiercly loyal types that puts family and love first. She wil be a key player to watch.

As a person who has enjoyed the Iron Druid chronichels(a series using celtic/druid lore for a base) I am realy liking the intermingling of the two.

I wonderwhose really the good guys. Halley and her gang or Smythe? I think you wanted me to question this though.

Why, thank you; like you, I prefer Lauren to Jared, and can assure you that she's going to be just as useful in their journey as her male counterpart. As for who's good and who's bad... eh. I never claim to have any good guys at all in my stories, or bad guys. There's just a lot of people and a lot of conflicting opinions; the story would be very different written from, say, Damien's point of view.

Ah. I haven't introduced Damien in any of these chapters yet, have I? Uh... forget I mentioned him. There will totally not be anyone named Damien in the story anytime soon.

I don't know; I prefer Jared. Lauren just seems annoying, and too timid. Despite the fact that she ran around all day in her childhood, Jared is still a better fighter. Halley though, she's just obnoxious. Jared seems to be the only...balanced...character :L

They're all full people - we just haven't seen enough of them yet. They'll all be expanded upon in time. Besides, in his own way, Jared's as flat now as anyone else.

Although I am biased, given that Lauren is basically me without the jokes and in better physical condition. Actually, thinking about it, Puck and Lauren represent the two warring sides of my psyche; I think Puck used to dominate, but Lauren is more me these days.

Oops. I'm digressing again. I'll stop now before I bore you all.

So do you have an obsession with polytheism or something? You seem to enjoy it :p

I haven't done that much with polytheism, really. I made Hoenn Buddhist - i.e. atheist - because it made sense for where I placed it geographically and because it was easy for me to write about, being Buddhist myself; I made Sinnoh Christian - i.e. monotheist - because it fitted with its imitation-Western nature, and I made its past polytheistic because statistically speaking that was most likely, and because that was how I figured primitive tribes would interpret incredibly powerful Pokémon like Dialga and Palkia. (I never actually stated that they were gods. All my characters just assumed they were because that's what Ashley called them - as he would, having been brought up in the sixteenth century, when Sinnoh was still mostly forest and mountain.)

As for Unova, I made it pagan because why on earth not? It was Western Europe, but Christianising it would be dull; I wanted a crazy backdrop. Given that I made it pretty Anglo-Saxon to begin with, I thought I might as well go for broke and give it a religion that would help create Unova's own distinct flavour.

I'm already trying to figure out how the legendaries are going to fit in with the story...

So am I. Well, not really. As always, I know broadly what will happen, but I haven't worked out the details yet.

Now! I have an important announcement to make: an explanation for the recent lack of updates, and for the likely lack of updates for some time. I've been working on another story recently - which is not in itself unusual for me; I do it all the time. However, this is a special story that I'm giving someone as a gift, and so it needs to be finished on time and to a very high standard by a certain time. After that, I'll have to get it printed and bound properly, as well. So, to summarise: someone I actually know is receiving the gift of my immense genius work by me instead of you readers who I'm not entirely sure aren't computer programs created by a sinister organisation to monitor my creative output. To summarise the summary: right now, real life is taking precedence over Internet life. My apologies, but I thought I ought to warn you that there's going to be quite some delay before you guys get another chapter.

Thanks for your patience.

F.A.B.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
And I'm back! Yeah! An object at rest cannot be stopped!

Chapter Five: The Thick of It

Tock.

“Oh, sh— Short Round's baseball cap. This is doing my head in.”

I hauled my eyes open with the strenuous effort more often associated with dock labourers loading up a freighter, and stared at the green ovals hovering just above me.

“Whuh,” I mumbled. “Time?”

A voice issued from somewhere in the sea of grey around the green.

“The time isn't the problem, Jared. The problem is the fact that the world seems to have done a f*cking backflip again.”

Halley. That was the name of the voice – and those ovals were eyes, and those brindled waves were fur...

I sat up, and felt a lean furred weight fall from my chest.

“Where am I?” I asked.

“Pokémon Centre hotel room,” replied Halley. “Not sure how you remember things, but Cheren got you in here claiming you were a Swedish Trainer. Apparently they don't use Trainer Cards in Sweden or something.”

Cheren... Yeah, I remembered that. He was cold, calculating and utterly calm; no one without his bland, omniscient eyes and quietly insistent logic could have pulled off such a ridiculous lie. In fact, I'm not sure he could have done it if he didn't know for certain that they didn't have Trainer Cards in Sweden; he seemed to draw strength from facts.

“Oh yeah.” I scratched my head. “Ouch. That fight didn't do me any favours, especially after Regenschein's.”

“Fight?” Halley frowned. “Did you do some fighting?”

“Yeah – I almost threw Smythe off the train, remember? While you and Candy were fighting the Liepard... thing.”

Halley stared.

“I so wish I could remember that,” she said wistfully. “It must have been glorious.”

“What?” I blinked. “Did you get amnesia again?”

She sighed.

“Don't tell me I have to explain this again.”

“Explain—?”

“OK, listen up and don't ask questions,” Halley continued without pausing. “Unova seems to be hosting two parallel universes – one modern, industrialised world in which you're a boy named Jared Black, and one old-fashioned, backwater nowhere in which you're a girl named Lauren White. I think they're connected through dreams or something, but I keep sliding between them – with you one day, with Lauren the next.”

A memory flashed into my mind with startling clarity – like a single pearl on a bed of rose petals, a lone white seal bounding through slate-grey shallows – and I saw, as if I had suddenly been recalled to sleep, my hand pushing a bangle onto my wrist before a sunlit window. Only it wasn't my hand, it was browner and slimmer, and the nails were painted the green of spring leaves, and I don't wear jewellery...

“Lauren,” I said slowly. “I never noticed before.”

Halley's ears pricked up, and she sat up straight on the bedspread.

“Noticed what?” she asked eagerly.

“That I wasn't me in my dreams.” I didn't know why, but I felt like the veil covering some great cosmic secret had been whisked aside; I could see something incomprehensible with incredible clarity – but I didn't quite understand what it was. “It always seemed so natural,” I continued. “But I wasn't me – not Jared. I was Lauren White, and...” I frowned; I could remember nothing more.

“And?”

“I don't know.” The secrets slid away and the curtains of reality fell back into place. “I just had a strange feeling.”

“So you believe me? About the two worlds and the dreams?”

After that experience, I didn't think I had any choice.

“Yeah,” I said hesitantly. “I do. It's – it's what they call the Dream World, isn't it?”

“That's what Lauren said,” Halley answered. “Strange, really... I'd have thought she would believe me more easily than you, not the other way around.”

“Did she... I... whatever, believe you?” I asked.

“I don't know. She was confused.” Halley yawned. “She seemed bright enough, but weak-willed. I guess she clings to what she knows.”

“So strange,” I murmured. “I... yeah.” I broke off.

There was a silence, which after a while Halley broke.

“So yeah. To answer your question, it's thirteen past nine.” She looked up at me gravely. “Now put some clothes on and have a shower. You stink of teenager.”

“Is that your heightened feline senses talking?”

“No. You're just filthy.”

With that, she turned around and slid under the beside table with the peculiar combination of grace and idiocy that only cats can achieve, curled up and went back to sleep.

---

Twenty minutes later, I was clean, dressed and descending the stairs to the Centre's lobby, a large, whitewashed area that smelled strongly of dog; asking the receptionist the way in a passable imitation of a heavy Swedish accent, I eventually got myself to the canteen, where I saw Bianca talking merrily to a composedly silent Cheren.

“Hi,” I said, sitting down at their table and letting Candy down off my shoulder. “Sorry. Have you been waiting?”

Cheren looked at me, and then at Bianca's plate – which, I saw was almost full. His own, needless to say, was scrupulously clean with the knife and fork lined up neatly at the side. I got the feeling he'd been done for about half an hour.

“Yes,” he replied, “but not for you.”

Bianca gaped, and Candy stole a strip of bacon from her plate to gnaw dreamily by my hand.

“Cher-eeeen,” she moaned. “I'm not being slow—!”

“You've taken about forty minutes so far,” he told her mildly. “In that time, you've told me absolutely everything you know about Jared, a sizeable amount of conjecture about what might conceivably be known about Jared in the future, and your attitude towards your Tepig – again.”

Bianca made a peculiar noise partway between a squeal and a yelp, and turned to me with a demand for support forming on her face.

“Jared—”

“I just got up. I know nothing about this.” I paused. “Actually, I don't even know who you are, except that you're Trainers.”

We hadn't spoken much last night beyond my explanation of who I was, why I had a talking cat and why we'd both been under arrest. I actually still had the handcuffs dangling from my wrists; Bianca's Tepig (a plump, affable creature that for some reason she'd called Barry) had been able to melt through the chain links, but I hadn't wanted to risk it cooking my wrists in trying to destroy the actual cuffs. Halley had told me that they, with my studded jacket and black jeans, made me look a lot like a moron who couldn't decide whether he wanted to be a punk or a Goth.

Anyway, Bianca's natural compassion and Cheren's desire to figure out exactly what was going on had combined to form an agreement that they would help Halley and I out, and so they'd got us into the Pokémon Centre. After a quick meal, I'd gone straight to bed, and this was the first I'd seen of them since.

“Get some food first,” advised Cheren. “If only to stop your Archen from eating Bianca's.”

I frowned.

“How did you know she was an Archen?”

“Toothed beak, long feathered tail, clumsy attempts at flight and clawed wings,” he replied. “Also, I read that there were some recent developments in re-engineering at Ingen's research facility at Nacrene. Which would explain why she's alive – though not why you have her.”

“She's... kind of illegal,” I said awkwardly. “Hang on. Let me get something to eat.”

By the time I came back, Candy and Bianca had become Best Friends Forever as only animals and people who like animals can, and Halley was sitting in my chair.

“I got bored,” she said.

“Shut up,” I replied conversationally. “You're trying to keep a low profile. Now get out of my seat and sit under the table or something.”

She sighed contentedly.

“I want to be pissed-off, but I have to say I've missed this. Lauren would've sat me on her lap and cuddled me, and I would have had no choice but to try and remove her spleen with my teeth.”

“Right,” I said, shoving her out of the way and sitting down. “What were you saying, Cheren?”

“Nothing. You, however, were talking about why you have an Archen.”

“Oh yeah.” I outlined the circumstances that had led to Candy's creation and subsequent exile to my house; as I spoke, the star of the story tried and failed to break the neck of a rather sturdy salt shaker.

“She doesn't seem very 'feisty', as you put it,” observed Cheren dispassionately.

“That's because she's fairly tame now,” I replied. “It's harder to make her angry these days. When we first got her she completely filled the garden with her kills.”

“I see.”

“Yeah. My uncle said it was fascinating, and the neighbours whose pets she'd killed almost murdered us.”

“But she's so cute,” said Bianca, watching Candy with wide eyes. “How can she kill anything?”

“She's trying to kill that salt shaker right now,” Cheren pointed out. “And when she ate your bacon she hit it on the table first to make sure it was dead.”

“She's not killing, she's playing,” decided Bianca, and I could tell that nothing at all was going to change her mind on that score.

“OK, whatever,” I said, swallowing a mouthful of egg and deciding never to eat at a Pokémon Centre again if I could help it. “You were going to tell me about yourselves?”

“Yes.” Cheren pushed up his glasses with his middle finger and sat up straighter, as if he were about to recite some well-learnt lesson. “We're actually fairly new to this; we started Training two weeks ago as part of Professor Juniper's summer journey scheme.”

“Oh yeah, I remember that.” It had been on the news a few months ago, and heavily advertised since; Unova's leading Pokémon researcher, Aurea Juniper, had been trying to revitalise Unova's lacklustre Training industry, and had somehow got hold of a government grant to send a few hundred sixteen-year-olds out into the wild with Pokémon for a few months. “But I thought that didn't start until this summer?”

“Not officially, no,” agreed Cheren. “A couple of us are going early, though – test cases. To make sure that there aren't going to be too many casualties.”

“Right.” I was about to say something about how disheartening that sounded, but at that moment my phone (which Halley had conveniently retrieved for me on our way to the station the day before) rang, and, apologising, I answered it.

“I'm sorry,” said Anastasia immediately. She sounded like she'd been crying. “Jared, I—”

“Annie? Hey, it's OK,” I replied, before she could launch into a downward spiral of self-loathing. “It's OK. We got away. Those government people... well, they're still looking for us, but we got away.”

She was silent for a moment.

“I'm still sorry,” she said eventually. “I just – Jared, that monster...”

Her voice cracked, and I felt a sudden aching desire to put my arms around her, to tell her that everything was fine, that I understood and forgave her – but of course, I couldn't. We were separated by hundreds of miles of city and forest, connected only by the imperceptible ripple in the air that carried our voices to each other's ears.

“It's OK, Annie,” I said softly. “It really is. We're all OK. We fought that Liepard off – and the guy with it.”

“I know, I know, but...” She couldn't find the words, but I knew exactly what she meant, and said so.

“It's OK,” I repeated lamely. “Really. The important thing is that you're safe – and you are, right?”

“Uh – yeah. I guess. Just, um, shaken up.”

“That's better than nothing,” I said gently. “Come on. Go and shoot some Swedish bears or something.”

She almost laughed, which under the circumstances was about as good as I was going to get.

“When are you coming back?” she asked, a note of pleading in her voice.

“I don't know,” I replied. “When it's safe, I guess.”

“And when will that be?”

“I don't know.” I hesitated. “Soon. I hope.”

“OK.” Her voice was not in agreement with her words. “There's someone asking for me now, Jared. I have to go.”

“Are you sure? You don't sound like you want to.”

“Of course I don't,” she said, a note of her old sourness creeping into her voice. “No, I... I have to go.”

“You can call me any time,” I told her. “OK? Any time.”

“Yeah.” She swallowed, and I wondered what that bastard Teiresias had done to her – what horrors it had shown her to reduce Anastasia to this. “I know. OK. Um... goodbye.”

“Bye, Annie. Call me soon.”

“I will.”

She hung up, and I returned to my breakfast to find I'd suddenly lost my appetite.

“How is she?” asked Halley, unusually gently.

“Bad,” I replied shortly. “I don't want to talk about it.”

“Fine by me,” she answered. “I'm told I'm not a good listener.”

“Sorry,” I said to Cheren and Bianca. “My girlfriend. She's not feeling particularly well right now. What were you saying?”

“That was it, really,” Cheren told me. We've plotted out a route through Unova that'll take us via all the Gyms; I'm not sure we'll be able to take on more than one or two before the summer's out, but we'll do our best.”

It made sense. I'd never been interested in becoming a Trainer myself, but I knew it wasn't easy. The Gym Leaders were tough; they had vast catalogues of Pokémon at their disposal, and so were always able to pick out a team just that tiny bit too strong for each challenger who faced them. I guess that was why there weren't that many Trainers in Unova any more – for a nation of kids that were used to immediate pleasure, it was too much time and effort.

“Right.” I thought for a bit. “Won't it take, like, several circuits to actually beat them all?”

“Yeah, that's what I said!” cried Bianca, as if this were the most amazing coincidence in the world. “But we want to travel too, you know? And see the world!”

“See Unova,” corrected Cheren dryly. “There is a world beyond this country. Difficult as it may be to believe.”

Unova was fairly isolated on its little island in the Atlantic; there were only two countries on our landmass, and the northern one, Patzkova, was pretty much the textbook definition of wilderness. The British had tried to conquer it, after they took Unova; however, the terrain, natives and wild animals had all put up one hell of a fight, and, given that there was absolutely nothing of value in Patzkova beyond the fighting spirit of its inhabitants, the armies of the Empire had decided it really wasn't worth the effort. Over a century later, Patzkova was still mostly unchanged: there was something vaguely resembling a modern city in the northeast corner of it, and the rest was a seething mass of hostile forest.

“Right.” I paused. “OK. So, um... what are we doing today?”

“Bianca and I were going to head north to Striaton,” replied Cheren. “You're welcome to tag along, if you like. I don't know what use it will be to you, but we'll be walking along the Trainer Trails rather than taking the train, so it would be a good way to get off the radar while you consider what you want to do next.”

That sounded like an excellent idea. Unlike conventional roads, the trails through the wilderness favoured by Trainers were overgrown and meandering, often led in several different directions at once and had patchy mobile phone coverage. If Halley and I wanted to vanish, we could do a lot worse than travel with Trainers – even if it did mean giving up the comforts of civilisation.

“I think I'll take you up on that offer,” I told him. “Halley? What do you think?”

She sighed.

“All that time I spent getting out of the f*cking woods into the city and we're heading straight back out there again? All right, I see the need to go, but... Christ. I'm not looking forward to it.”

“That's settled, then,” I said. “We'll go with you. Candy, put that down.”

She had grabbed the edge of my plate in her toothy beak, and bit down reflexively on hearing the reprimand in my voice; there was a crack, and she stepped away, spitting out a mouthful of porcelain and looking at me guiltily.

“Thanks a bunch,” I told her, picking her up and looking her in the eye. “Bad dog.”

“Dog?” asked Bianca.

“She doesn't understand the concept of birds,” I sighed. “Believe me, we've tried. But everyone we know who has a pet has a dog, so she thinks that 'dog' means 'pet'... Look, it's complicated.”

“It sounds it.”

“Yeah. Uh, is it OK if we go now?” I asked. “I really don't want anyone asking about the broken plate. Given that I'm supposed to be from Sweden. And that I'm on the run from some sinister government organisation.”

“Oh yeah!” cried Bianca, jumping to her feet and overturning her plate. “We should totally go!”

“How the f*ck did you two become friends?” wondered Halley. I'm pretty sure both Cheren and I were thinking exactly the same thing at that moment, but we didn't have long to ponder it. We'd broken two plates and spilled a considerable quantity of food: now was definitely the time to bail. We got up, retrieved Halley from under the table, and left.

---

Accumula was more or less the worst possible place that their targets could have escaped them, Smythe thought to himself as he trudged down the little town's main street. Given that the Green Party was currently canvassing here for the upcoming general election – and that Harmonia himself was actually going to make a speech here today – it seemed more or less impossible for him to avoid making a report today. It was expected of him; in fact, he was supposed to be meeting up with his superiors today, with Halley and her new accomplice in tow. What exactly he was going to say to them was beyond him.

Just as irritating was the fact that Teiresias had vanished. Officially, it wasn't supposed to be working with him on this; it had volunteered for it – it had some special interest in Halley, or something – and so its presence on the mission had to be concealed from Harmonia and the rest. Thus, Smythe would be taking the full blame for their failures to date – when in fact the convenient failure of Teiresias' vaunted powers had been responsible for most of it. It just wasn't fair.

A bell chimed, and Smythe leaped out of the way as a gaggle of kids on brightly-coloured bikes zoomed past, chattering wildly.

“Shouldn't you be in school?” he asked, far too quietly for anyone to hear, and, shaking his head in dissatisfaction, continued on his way.

Actually, now that he thought about it, Smythe disliked this whole situation they had with Teiresias' kind. Those... things were lending their support to the Party, and that was all well and good, but he didn't like them hanging around the place, popping up in unexpected places and generally creeping him out. He didn't like the way they'd become so important, that was it. They were changing the whole feel of the Party. Sure, they were doing better in the polls – but Smythe wasn't wholly sure that this was the same party he'd joined any more; it seemed darker now, more... demonic.

Bugger. There was a fleet of electric cars coming down the road – black, white and blue, for some reason the official colours of the Unovan Green Party. They swept by, overtaking him in an instant, and hummed along in the direction of Neurine Plaza.

Smythe checked his watch. Yes, it was almost time for the speech. He supposed he'd better get there; afterwards he had his appointment with Harmonia.

He sighed, girded his loins, and strode off towards the plaza, a lone hero striking out across the grey.

---

“Excuse me. Where did you get those?”

I blinked, and looked around to see who'd spoken; as it turned out, it was a rather Gothic-looking girl who was wearing far too much eyeshadow for so early in the morning.

“Get what?” I asked. Behind me, Cheren tapped his foot impatiently; we were all eager to leave the Centre, but I could tell he especially didn't appreciate delays messing up his carefully arranged timetable.

“Those bracelets.”

I stared at her. At my feet, Halley suppressed a s******.

“You mean these?” I asked, holding up my wrists to show her the handcuffs.

“Yeah, those.” She smiled self-consciously. “They're cool, that's all.”

“OK. Uh, thanks, I guess. They're, um, home-made.”

“That is so cool,” she said, staring at them. “I've got to get me some of those.”

I nodded in vague confusion.

“Uh... thanks. Anyway, I, er, have to go now...”

“Oh, yeah! Of course. Sorry. Thanks!”

She waved and walked off in the direction of the canteen, doubtless going to tell her incredibly alternative friends about the seriously cool new accessory she'd discovered.

“I cannot believe that anyone would like those,” muttered Halley. “F*cking hipsters.”

“I don't think she was a hipster,” I said, as we entered the lobby. “I—”

“Shut up, you're meant to be Swedish,” hissed Cheren, and I fell silent.

“Still, I can't imagine anyone would like that look,” chattered Bianca blithely. “I mean, all that black and spikes and stuff. It's so aggressive! Not cute at all... I like cute things.”

I stared at her. Was she not aware that she was describing the very clothes I was wearing? This was fashionable in Black City – the latest thing. I didn't know what they did out in middle-of-nowhere Nuvema, but where I came from, this was just about the last word in cool.

“Ignore her,” Cheren informed me lightly, without moving his lips. “Some days, that's the only way I can survive.”

We left the Pokémon Centre, and almost immediately a wave of sound washed over us: a crowd was laughing nearby. A large crowd.

“What's that?” I wondered.

“I'm not sure.” Cheren frowned. “It sounds big.”

“It's coming from over there,” said Bianca, pointing down the street. “I think it's coming from that square we saw yesterday, Cheren.”

“People are staring at me,” whined Halley.

“That's because your species is technically classified as vermin,” I said. “Now shut up before someone realises you can talk.” I looked up from her to Cheren. “Shall we investigate, then?”

“Hm. I think we will. We can afford a short detour.”

“Oh, lighten up, Cheren,” moaned Bianca, as if she hadn't heard his answer at all. “Let's go! It might be fun!”

“All right, all right,” he sighed. “Lead on.”

Bianca bounced off ahead, and Candy launched herself off my shoulder to cling to her back, squawking with joy.

“So how did you two meet?” I asked Cheren conversationally, as we walked after them.

“When we were five, I was looking for an illustrated children's encyclopaedia in the school library,” he told me. “As it turned out, Bianca had it. She'd propped it up on building blocks to make a house for some stuffed animal.” He raised his eyebrows. “I'm still not entirely sure how we got from there to here, actually.”

Somehow, that summed up the pair of them perfectly: Cheren looking for a book, Bianca using it as a toy. I smiled, for a moment forgetting Teiresias, Smythe and the mess they were making of my life, and walked on down the street with an extra spring in my step.

The crowd noises were dying down now, and I heard a man's voice ringing out above them; I couldn't quite make out the words, but it sounded familiar. Eager to find out what exactly was happening, we rounded the corner and found ourselves at the back of a crowd several hundred people strong, gathered in a plaza and listening attentively to the tall man with the synthetic eye standing on a podium in front of a banner emblazoned with the words 'Green Party 2013'. He had just finished telling some kind of joke, I surmised, because there was a ripple of laughter spreading through the crowd.

“OK, OK,” he was saying, “enough joking around, or I'm not actually going to get to the end of this speech before the council throw us out the square. Times have changed – and so have we. I think you'll find that we're no longer the butt of every political joke in the country...”

“Who's that?” I asked Cheren, staring at the man. “He looks familiar...”

“Ghetsis Harmonia,” he replied. “Leader of the Green Party and, if I remember correctly, the second person to have a HawkEye fitted.”

That was it – I knew I'd seen him before, and now I knew where. He'd been on the news a while ago; having lost his right eye in some kind of accident, he'd volunteered to be a test subject for Ovotech's new artificial sight system.
“He's standing for Prime Minister this year,” observed Cheren. “He's doing quite well so far, too. I believe it's a combination of unusual name, the eye, and a winning personality.”

“I see.”

“...you all know our stance on climate change, on sustainability, and all that,” Harmonia was saying. “That's not news anymore – and neither are our policies. We've made them entirely clear to you over the last few weeks. No, what I really wanted to do with this meeting was to talk about something new we have planned – something that will be taking place if we make it into power.”

“Where did Bianca go?” I wondered. I couldn't see her in the crowd.

“Who cares?” asked Halley. “Isn't the real question here why his hair is green?”

“That's not that unusual here,” Cheren told her. “It's the world's rarest hair colour – most common in Unova and Patzkova and virtually unheard of anywhere else.”

“You know, it's really hard to be facetious when this guy knows everything,” sighed Halley.

“That's not true,” Cheren replied mildly. “I don't know everything, and I suspect you know it.”

“Pedant.”

“I refuse to be drawn into a slanging match,” Cheren said with dignity. “Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to hear what Harmonia has to say.”

“...liberation.” A murmur of confusion ran through the crowd. “Yes, that's correct: liberation. But not any old form of liberation, ladies and gentlemen; there's no ruling elite, no dictatorship to overthrow. There are no humans in our liberation scheme. Just Pokémon.”

Another babble of bewildered voices; I exchanged glances with Cheren, but he just shrugged.

“Mr. Harmonia!” yelled a reporter from near the front. “Mr. Harmonia, what exactly do you mean by that?”

“Come on now,” Harmonia chided gently. “Give me a chance to explain before hitting me with the questions at least.” That earned him a small chuckle, and he waited for it to die down before continuing. “Listen,” he said. “I know this is going to sound strange, but hear me out: I propose we set each and every one of the Pokémon currently in captivity free.”

The crowd practically exploded in uproar; for a moment, I thought a riot was going to break out, and wished I had my trusty iron pipe with me.

“Career suicide,” muttered Cheren, as Halley leaped up into my arms to avoid being crushed underfoot. “Why? Why would he say that?”

“I asked you to hear me out!” boomed Harmonia over the din, the speakers turned up all the way to the max – and abruptly, the turmoil in his audience ceased. “Thank you,” he said, motioning to someone out of sight to turn down the volume again. “I know this sounds strange. I expected that reaction. But I want you to understand what I mean – what thoughts went through my head when I thought of this – before you discount my plan entirely.”

He leaned forwards on the podium, that gleaming red HawkEye sweeping over the crowd like the single eye of Woden from atop the gallows.

“Pokémon are inexplicable,” he said simply. “We know the laws of biology – of physics – of the universe – and almost every species breaks at least one. A Charizard should not be able to generate fire from the empty glands in its throat. A Vanilluxe should not even be alive. It has no organs – nothing, just soft-scoop ice cream and teeth. These creatures are not part of the normal order of creation – and what do we do with them?

“We eat them. We farm them. We harvest their bones and we force them to fight one another. We have done it for thousands of years. And let me ask you – what is the result?”

Harmonia paused, and the burning red eye swooped over the crowd again. I could almost feel its presence on my forehead, as if it projected some kind of heat beam; irrationally, I found myself wondering if he could see right through us with that thing. Everyone in the audience was frozen in place; the man's presence was electric.

“We have been playing with forces that we are not capable of even beginning to comprehend,” he said. “In Unova alone, there are fifty-six fatalities and ninety severe crippling injuries among Trainers each year. Add to that the estimated nineteen thousand Pokémon undergoing mental or physical abuse, and the result is a huge pool of suffering in this one nation alone.

“And Unova is not a major Pokémon-using nation,” Harmonia continued, holding up one hand to forestall interruptions. “Look at Hoenn – people wanted power, drew on Pokémon, and the world was nearly choked in volcanic ash. Look at Sinnoh – they may not state it outright, but the destruction of Spear Pillar had its roots in the same cause.” He shook his head sadly. “Look at Kanto, twenty years ago,” he said. “One Pokémon asked why it had to obey flawed humanity. The authorities have not yet been able to finish counting the deceased.”

He sighed.

“I could go on. The Raichu storm in Malaysia. The uprising of the Ghosts in Dresden. The Decoyote attacks in Texas. This is nothing new, people. Every year – every month – some new tragedy occurs. The losses on both sides, human and Pokémon, are incalculable.

“So what do I propose we do?” he asked. “Simple. Our kinds go their separate ways. The Green Party is concerned with creating a better world for all species, and I have to say that in our considered opinion, this one act of division will save more lives, of more species, than any edict of sustainability or carbon trapping.”

Harmonia paused, head sinking slightly, as if wearied from his speech.

“I don't expect you to rally to my cause right away,” he said. “I don't expect you to agree without an argument. In fact, I welcome it: I would be concerned if people didn't challenge me on this. But I want you to think, and I want you to wonder if perhaps your opposition to my proposal stems from truth – or simply from tradition. It is the way things have always been, I'm told – but that's what we used to say about slavery, and human sacrifice.”

He drew back from the podium and inclined his head in a brief bow.

“Thank you for listening. I will be available to take questions later this afternoon, at the Bertram Hotel on Wooster Street. Ladies and gentlemen, my gratitude for your time.”

With that, he disappeared behind the podium, and the crowd dissolved into ranting, animated chaos.

---

“Well,” said Cheren at length. “He's never going to win the election that way.”

I stared at him.

“Is that it? He wants to have every Pokémon in captivity released into the wild. That's not just career suicide, that's bloody mental.”

“I agree,” he said patiently. “And that's why he isn't going to win the election. Come on, let's find Bianc—”

“Chereeen! Jareeeed!”

Bianca's voice cut through the chatter of the dispersing crowd like the needling sound of a screaming child; it was also pretty much just as irritating, and Halley, Cheren and I all winced at the noise.

“OK, found her,” Cheren murmured, as she bounced up to us, Candy clinging determinedly to her hat.

“Hi,” she said. “Where were you? That was weird, right? Why would anyone want to separate humans and Pokémon?”

“I'm not sure,” began Cheren, but Halley interrupted.

“Because he sees the truth,” she snapped. “That Harmonia guy's the first person I've heard in Unova who makes any kind of sense.”

That took us all aback, and we stared at her as she wriggled free of my grip and dropped lightly to the pavement.

“What?” I asked. “You're not saying you agree with him?”

“If I'm not saying that, then what am I saying?” she retorted. “He's right. When humans and Pokémon come together, bad sh*t happens. Like Zero trying to destroy the world last year. Like Rayquaza being shot down over London. Like that Arctic research station defrosting the frozen Jellicent at Christmas.”

“But Pokémon are people's friends,” protested Bianca, which was probably the last sentiment in the world that might have earned Halley's sympathy.

“Really?” she asked. “That's what you're saying? Do you not understand how animals work? They stay where they're most comfortable – where there's food, shelter, water and someone to look after them – because it's advantageous to them. Pokémon are no different. Those few that are intelligent don't exactly love us, either.”

“Us? You're a wildcat,” I pointed out, more to score points than to actually rebut her.

Temporarily. Anyway, look at the Kadabra and Alakazam. Look at the Ghost-types. Those are as close to the speaking representatives of the Pokémon world as you're going to get, and they all hate us.”

“The Kadabra were bound to hate us,” Cheren replied. “They lost the war.”

There were no Kadabra in Unova, which was just as well; most people found them kind of disturbing. They'd lost out to humans long ago in the race to be Earth's dominant species, and mostly kept to themselves in their reservations these days. In theory, the past was behind us; in practice, the Kadabra had never forgotten, and would in all likelihood never forgive.

“Because we deliberately infected them with Gastly spores,” retorted Halley. “So that their global hive mind was almost f*cking destroyed by the Gengar eating it from within. They never did anything like that to us – and it's taken them over a hundred years to rebuild their collective consciousness. And that resulted in an explosion in the Gengar population, which means that for the last century, there's been a massive rise in the rate of fatal Ghost attacks – on humans and Kadabra – worldwide.”

“Bravo,” said a soft voice. “And that's just one of so many examples, isn't it?”

“Yeah!” agreed Halley. “I – wait, who said that?”

I looked up, and saw that the crowd had all but vanished – all but one person, who was standing alone a short distance away, in the middle of the plaza.

“That would be me,” he said, stepping forward. “Excuse me. That was an interesting speech, was it not?”

“Yes, it was,” replied Cheren, swiftly nudging Halley behind him with one foot. “I don't think Harmonia will win after that, though.”

“We'll see,” said the young man thoughtfully, drawing nearer. “Sorry, I haven't introduced myself.” He held out a hand. “My name is...”

I didn't need him to tell me. I'd known the moment I set eyes on him; he had triggered something deep inside me, some strange response that came from a more primal place than reason or emotion: I knew nothing about him, but he was as familiar to me as the sound of my own name.

“N,” I said without realising, staring into his lifeless, ice-coloured eyes. “Your name is N.”

Azurus

The Ancient Absol
Ah, so Cheren is annoyed with Bianca as well, I never really liked her myself, too, ditzy...

Anyway, interesting examples as to why pokemon should be seperated, all valid points too, but Ghetsis never mentioned all the good things that come from it, so, yeah.

Hmm, I wonder how this exchange will go down, "lifeless, ice-coloured eyes" sounds like something is gonna happen.

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
YOU READ THE ENDER'S GAME SERIES!
Piggies, buggers, jane, i could go on and on!
Halley is Anthea or Concordia, don't deny it. I have a skill for plot discovery without getting very far, when the first clue is out I evauluate and decipher it better than Zero could scheme a plan and have it barely miss the mark.

You know, in this universe I find myself agreeing with Ghetsis. In the games though, people seem...Different. There aren't as many evil people, and people seem to be nicer in general.

I'm more interested now that I've realized Jared/Lauren will be the second Hero, and will have to find an argument against N.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Ah, so Cheren is annoyed with Bianca as well, I never really liked her myself, too, ditzy...

Anyway, interesting examples as to why pokemon should be seperated, all valid points too, but Ghetsis never mentioned all the good things that come from it, so, yeah.

Hmm, I wonder how this exchange will go down, "lifeless, ice-coloured eyes" sounds like something is gonna happen.

Yeah. Mentioning them would be kind of counter-productive - but don't worry. We at the Unovan Broadcasing Company will be bringing you live coverage of the election race, as and when it happens. Over the next few weeks, we'll be covering the bizarre new policy brought out by previously promising newcomer Ghetsis Harmonia, and making sure that this year's unmissable election really is unmissable.

And yes. Something's going to happen. Though you can probably get the gist of it by simply thinking back to what happened when you were in Accumula town in-game.

YOU READ THE ENDER'S GAME SERIES!
Piggies, buggers, jane, i could go on and on!
Halley is Anthea or Concordia, don't deny it. I have a skill for plot discovery without getting very far, when the first clue is out I evauluate and decipher it better than Zero could scheme a plan and have it barely miss the mark.

I... haven't. And, in fact, have no idea what that series is about.

As for Halley... there is still much to discuss concerning her. That's all I'll say for now.

You know, in this universe I find myself agreeing with Ghetsis. In the games though, people seem...Different. There aren't as many evil people, and people seem to be nicer in general.

I'm more interested now that I've realized Jared/Lauren will be the second Hero, and will have to find an argument against N.

In the games, most people have the moral compass of a rather righteous ten-year-old. Since my interpretation brings the games a little closer to reality in terms of the people involved, there's bound to be more conflict; I actually think my previous stories stand as a pretty good body of evidence for Harmonia's line of thought. (Speaking of that, what's with the name 'Ghetsis'? Are they trying to make him sound like a villain or what? He sounds like he ought to be seven foot tall, wearing bone armour and wielding an oversized butcher's knife.)

In the game, he only makes one point in his speech that I could really expand upon: that Pokémon contain unknown potential. I just grabbed that and ran with it to try and make something slightly more convincing than 'we should all release Pokémon because I say it's bad not to'.

As for the Hero... I thought it would be obvious that he/she was. I mean, I do always write about the main character of each game... kind of. I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if I decided to write a story about someone who's ultimately only a minor foil for the protagonist.

Anyway. Thanks for reading! Cutlerine - away!

F.A.B.

Azurus

The Ancient Absol
And yes. Something's going to happen. Though you can probably get the gist of it by simply thinking back to what happened when you were in Accumula town in-game.
F.A.B.

Thanks for the semi-spoilers, geez, put it in tags xD.

In all seriousness, it is obvious, but then again, you have been known to somewhat stray from the formula.

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
Ender's game is a sci-fi series on book that has war, how we would react to aliens, philosphy, bug aliens.

Halley is Concordia's real name, she was also hired to steal something.

Psychic

Really and truly
Heya, first-time reader of your work, and I must say you’ve caught me hook, line and sinker.

Definitely an interesting concept even from the get-go. The opening scene intrigued me, though I must say this story wouldn’t have captivated me so if it were solely about some guy named Jared and a talking cat (while the shopping scene wad fun, it did start feeling a bit too long). I’m completely fascinated with your entire concept, and I haven’t had that feeling while reading a fic in…awhile. I really want to know what the deal is with these two very different worlds, where our protagonist fits in, and what’s the deal with Halley as well as Teiresias.

It took me a moment to recognize Cheren and Bianca, but I was looking forward to seeing how they would fit in. I’ll admit I was a little disappointed to see the “Ghetsis makes a speech” scene we’ve seen in trainer fics since B/W’s release (though it’s so nice to see that you’re not calling them “Team __” and that they are instead a political party with Plasma’s colour scheme), and I really hope it doesn’t follow the game plot too closely. But you seem to have quite a bit hidden up your sleeve, so I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I’m especially intrigued by your world-building. This idea of the Black world and White world existing kind of simultaneously is interesting, and I love the differences between them. You address things I don’t see getting addressed a lot, like economy, religion, or where a region fits within a world. I’m especially enthralled by the religion of the White world – you don’t tend to see religions in Pokemon fanfiction that don’t directly revolve around Pokemon, especially not polytheistic ones. I do hope some of the lore ends up being true. (And considering Teiresias, I’m leaning more towards it being such.) After noticing your mention of Decoyote I wonder if you'll be using many Fakemon. I’m also interested by the fact that both Pokemon and animals seem to exist in this world, which hasn't really been addressed. I actually assumed Halley was a Purrlion for awhile, until it became clear that there was a reason you weren't referring to her as being one.

Also, thinking about it now, I also rather like that Jared and Lauren are both either representatives or products of their own worlds (I’d bet on the former). Does one relate to truth and the other ideals, perhaps? Hm.

On that note, I also have to say I don’t at all find Jared a better or more interesting character than Lauren. I get that readers like characters who are strong and kick butt, and I unfortunately think that’s the main cause of them preferring him – well, along with Halley’s own blatant preference. Admittedly, I’m a bit disappointed that you chose to make the “cool” character male and the “weak” one female (much like the dynamic between Cheren and Bianca). I suppose there’s at least Halley, but her being a cat kind of diminishes it.

Now for nitpicking grammar! (Only from the last two chapters.)

Ellipses are only ever three periods.

“They are here,” came the reply, and it as I had feared: the words definitely issued from the dry, desiccated mouth of the Liepard. “No one else will have embarked at White Forest other than they.”
the "as" should be "was."

The journey continued with nothing notable occurring except that I grew steadily hungrier and thirstier with the waning sun; I'd eaten and drunk nothing since Eostre's Eve and, since it was approaching five o'clock, when the ancient train finally pulled into Accumula's station, I was pretty desperate for food by then.
you don’t really need the "by then."

“That was it, really,” Cheren told me. We've plotted out a route through Unova that'll take us via all the Gyms; I'm not sure we'll be able to take on more than one or two before the summer's out, but we'll do our best.”
Missing an opening quotation mark after "Cheren told me."

“How the f*ck did you two become friends?” wondered Halley. I'm pretty sure both Cheren and I were thinking exactly the same thing at that moment, but we didn't have long to ponder it.
This is a bit clunky in that he shouldn’t be “pretty sure” he was thinking the same thing Halley just said. Maybe “…wondered Halley. I, and I’m pretty sure Cheren too, were thinking exactly the same thing.”

“Shouldn't you be in school?” he asked, far too quietly for anyone to hear, and, shaking his head in dissatisfaction, continued on his way.
Asked how? Considering his bad mood, I would have phrased it more like "he demanded" or "he growled."

I smiled, for a moment forgetting Teiresias, Smythe and the mess they were making of my life, and walked on down the street with an extra spring in my step.
This is a telling VS showing problem; if he’s not thinking about them, don’t mention it. it's kind of harder to do, but you can always stick with something like "I smiled, for a moment forgetting everything else" or something like that.

“OK, OK,” he was saying, “enough joking around, or I'm not actually going to get to the end of this speech before the council throw us out the square.
I'm fairly sure "OK" should be spelled out as "okay," and "throw" should be "throws."

I also have to say that this didn’t feel like a real political speech. truthfully, I don’t listen to very many political speeches, but sentences like “Listen, I know this is going to sound strange, but hear me out” just seem too casual. Also, this seems like a strange place to make this kind of announcement, rather than, say, a press room. Maybe establish that there are quite a few reporters there (instead of just one or two), such as by having him say "Welcome to the members of the press" or something along those lines.

In Unova alone, there are fifty-six fatalities and ninety severe crippling injuries among Trainers each year.
I dunno, that doesn’t sound like a very severe number. I'm sure there's a higher chance of getting hit by a car than getting attacked by a Pokemon. Maybe if he phrased it as a percentage instead? (Since we don't know if this is a large number of the trainers who are out and about each year.)

That's about it. I really like your style, and the plot has captivated me entirely. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it unfold and finding out out how all of this came to be. Plus I'd like to see how the title fits in.
Great job, keep at it, and good luck!

~Psychic

Last edited:

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
I've just finished reading the first chapter and I thought it was absolutely awesome! Please add me to the PM list.

Sure, no problem. I'm glad you

Heya, first-time reader of your work, and I must say you’ve caught me hook, line and sinker.

Psychic...?

Wow. Seems I'm moving up in the world.

Definitely an interesting concept even from the get-go. The opening scene intrigued me, though I must say this story wouldn’t have captivated me so if it were solely about some guy named Jared and a talking cat (while the shopping scene wad fun, it did start feeling a bit too long). I’m completely fascinated with your entire concept, and I haven’t had that feeling while reading a fic in…awhile. I really want to know what the deal is with these two very different worlds, where our protagonist fits in, and what’s the deal with Halley as well as Teiresias.

Yes, I got a bit carried away at the start there, didn't I? Ah, well. I'm glad it served its purpose, anyway.

It took me a moment to recognize Cheren and Bianca, but I was looking forward to seeing how they would fit in. I’ll admit I was a little disappointed to see the “Ghetsis makes a speech” scene we’ve seen in trainer fics since B/W’s release (though it’s so nice to see that you’re not calling them “Team __” and that they are instead a political party with Plasma’s colour scheme), and I really hope it doesn’t follow the game plot too closely. But you seem to have quite a bit hidden up your sleeve, so I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Has that scene been used a lot? I really haven't read many B/W fics, I'm afraid. It seemed like a fairly important point to me, so I included it.

As for the Green Party, well. That just seemed like a fun idea, like most of the things I put in my stories.

I’m especially intrigued by your world-building. This idea of the Black world and White world existing kind of simultaneously is interesting, and I love the differences between them. You address things I don’t see getting addressed a lot, like economy, religion, or where a region fits within a world. I’m especially enthralled by the religion of the White world – you don’t tend to see religions in Pokemon fanfiction that don’t directly revolve around Pokemon, especially not polytheistic ones. I do hope some of the lore ends up being true. (And considering Teiresias, I’m leaning more towards it being such.) After noticing your mention of Decoyote I wonder if you'll be using many Fakemon. I’m also interested by the fact that both Pokemon and animals seem to exist in this world, which hasn't really been addressed. I actually assumed Halley was a Purrlion for awhile, until it became clear that there was a reason you weren't referring to her as being one.

Well, as I see it, the vaguely-described regions represented in the games are to a fanfiction author like pure white Carrara marble to a Renaissance sculptor. They're a perfect canvas: everyone knows the boring stuff about them, which leaves you free to go off on wild tangents and build the interesting bits of the world.

As I see it, there have to be Fakemon and animals in the world for two reasons. One is that the six hundred-odd official species of Pokémon (some very odd) are barely enough to create a believable ecosystem in a single country as it is, and the other is that humans are definitely not Pokémon, which begs the question of where they came from if there are no animals.

Thinking about the lore, I'm pretty sure that there's at least a little truth in it, given that Odin turned up running a hotel in Pastoria City in my last story.

Also, thinking about it now, I also rather like that Jared and Lauren are both either representatives or products of their own worlds (I’d bet on the former). Does one relate to truth and the other ideals, perhaps? Hm.

On that note, I also have to say I don’t at all find Jared a better or more interesting character than Lauren. I get that readers like characters who are strong and kick butt, and I unfortunately think that’s the main cause of them preferring him – well, along with Halley’s own blatant preference. Admittedly, I’m a bit disappointed that you chose to make the “cool” character male and the “weak” one female (much like the dynamic between Cheren and Bianca). I suppose there’s at least Halley, but her being a cat kind of diminishes it.

It wasn't intentional. You see, I always start from canon, and in this case my starting point was that the male character is Black and the female one is White. So Jared had to be male, and Lauren had to be female; there was no choice there. Their characters developed purely as a result of the world they live in; I forge stories like chainmail, with one link following on from the next, rather than based on any pre-existing stereotypes.

I did think it might conflict with Cheren and Bianca's dynamic, but I thought I might enjoy flicking between different perspectives on their situation, so I didn't bother to change it.

Halley... is different. She has no counterpart within the games and is therefore a pure and unalloyed product of my diseased wit - but more of her anon.

Now for nitpicking grammar! (Only from the last two chapters.)

This is my punishment for touch-typing.

Ellipses are only ever three periods.

Yes, I know - but where's the wrong one? You've not quoted it.

the "as" should be "was."

you don’t really need the "by then."

Missing an opening quotation mark after "Cheren told me."

This is a bit clunky in that he shouldn’t be “pretty sure” he was thinking the same thing Halley just said. Maybe “…wondered Halley. I, and I’m pretty sure Cheren too, were thinking exactly the same thing.”

Asked how? Considering his bad mood, I would have phrased it more like "he demanded" or "he growled."

This is a telling VS showing problem; if he’s not thinking about them, don’t mention it. it's kind of harder to do, but you can always stick with something like "I smiled, for a moment forgetting everything else" or something like that.

All valid points, and noted.

I'm fairly sure "OK" should be spelled out as "okay," and "throw" should be "throws."

Not where I live. Here, 'OK' is 'OK'. The 'throw' thing is right, though.

I also have to say that this didn’t feel like a real political speech. truthfully, I don’t listen to very many political speeches, but sentences like “Listen, I know this is going to sound strange, but hear me out” just seem too casual. Also, this seems like a strange place to make this kind of announcement, rather than, say, a press room. Maybe establish that there are quite a few reporters there (instead of just one or two), such as by having him say "Welcome to the members of the press" or something along those lines.

No, it doesn't, but that's kind of the point: Harmonia trades on not being a proper politician - on not acting as others of his station do, on possessing the ability to not take himself or his campaign seriously (or to appear that way, at least). Evidently I didn't make that point clearly enough; I'll take another look at this, and probably expand on it in further chapters.

And it is a strange place to make an announcement. Very strange indeed. I wonder what Game Freak were thinking, placing the speech scene there so Cutlerine can avoid the blame for a misplaced event.

I dunno, that doesn’t sound like a very severe number. I'm sure there's a higher chance of getting hit by a car than getting attacked by a Pokemon. Maybe if he phrased it as a percentage instead? (Since we don't know if this is a large number of the trainers who are out and about each year.)

I thought it was a small number, but I'd kind of already limited the figure, since I said Unova's Training industry was lacklustre earlier on. Eh, I could probably bump it up a bit higher and not seem like I'm contradicting myself, I guess.

That's about it. I really like your style, and the plot has captivated me entirely. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it unfold and finding out out how all of this came to be. Plus I'd like to see how the title fits in.
Great job, keep at it, and good luck!

~Psychic

Thank you. It means a lot to have a proper review, with both positive and negative parts to it, and when it comes from one of the more prominent members of the community, that really does sweeten the deal.

F.A.B.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Chapter Six: If You Go Down to the Woods Today

Nacrene was most famous for its artistic quarter, on the east side – for the studios, the cheap bars and the alternative music that seemed to pervade the entire district like a dense fog – but that wasn't the whole story; Cantonbury, the northernmost borough, was as much a haven for the sciences as Dotten was for the arts. Here, one could wander through the rambling halls of the Museum of Unovan Antiquity; peruse a book in the Travison Memorial Library, the largest of its kind in Europe; or, if one had the appropriate security clearance, could walk into International Genetics' research and development facility, and observe the fleshy and repellent Dr. Herman Spitelle approaching Dr. Gregory Black.

Dr. Spitelle, it will be noted, had the charm and verve of the average horned lizard – that curious creature that sprays blood from its eyes to deter predators – and the fat content of the average manatee; like the beasts he created, he was best described by the various animals that had lent him each facet of his appearance.

From this description, it may also be deduced that Dr. Spitelle was neither a popular man nor an ethical scientist.

“Gregory!” he said, and at the sound of his stentorian voice Gregory Black visibly shuddered.

“What is it?” he asked, busying himself with some papers on his desk and trying to look as if he hadn't the time to talk to him.

“An unexpected signal has appeared on our radar,” Spitelle said, which Black thought was somewhat cryptic.

“What?”

“Did you watch Harmonia's speech earlier?”

Black gave him the most severe look he was capable of, which, given that he was a man of forty-three who still harboured a secret love of soft toys, was not all that effective.

“I,” he said coldly, “was working.”

“I was on my break,” continued Spitelle without listening, “and, following the election as I am, I naturally was watching. Harmonia made a great many interesting points, but it was not the speech that held my attention.”

“Will you get to the point, Herman?” snapped Black.

“It was rather the brightly-coloured – and somewhat toothy – bird I perceived clinging to the shoulder of a young woman in the crowd.”

Black froze.

“Of course, this intrigued me,” Spitelle went on mildly, a cruel grin spreading across the broad flabby slab of his face. “I paused – the Internet, Gregory, is a marvellous thing – and had a closer look. And it seemed to me that this brightly-coloured, somewhat toothy bird was beginning to look a little familiar.”

Black's eyes flicked left and right, searching for some heavy object with which he might bludgeon Spitelle into bloody unconsciousness before making good his escape, but none came to hand.

“Out of curiosity, I looked at the GPS tracker,” said Spitelle. “And lo and behold” (Black loathed people who used the phrase 'lo and behold' without irony) “I saw a little blip in Nacrene City that I hadn't seen for two years. A blip that should have stopped when a certain dangerous re-engineered bird was destroyed two years ago. By you.”

“Miraculous,” said Black, wholly unconvincingly. “Evidently Archen have an unparalleled resistance to lethal injection—”

“Or perhaps the Archen was never given the lethal injection,” suggested Spitelle. “Perhaps someone, rather than killing it, released it into the wild.”

It wasn't quite the truth, but it was near enough to drain the remaining colour from Black's face.

“Perhaps,” he said hesitantly. “Perhaps... not.”

Spitelle raised one pudgy eyebrow. Black had never figured out how one ate enough fat to bulk up one's brow of all places, but he refused to let this question distract him at this time.

“Is that the best you can come up with?” he asked.

Black considered.

“Yes,” he admitted.

“I think that, given the circumstances, someone ought to contact Harper,” said Spitelle thoughtfully. “Unless, of course, someone else could provide that someone with a certain something...?”

Black stared at him, trepidation overridden by puzzlement.

“What?”

“I'm blackmailing you,” said Spitelle, dropping all pretence. “I would like five hundred pounds by the end of the week or I let everyone know that you released AR-0834 into the wild.”

“Five hundred pounds?” cried Black. “That's – that's – I won't pay it!”

“Very well, then,” replied Spitelle, with a faint sigh of disappointment. “Enjoy the inquiry.”

With that, he turned on his heel and rolled out of the office like a solid boulder of flesh, leaving Black to think sadly to himself that he might have just reacted a mite too fast back then.

---

The young man looked at me, completely unsurprised.

“Yes, that's right,” he said. “And you're... Jared, is it?”

I nodded. I didn't need to ask how he knew.

“So do you two know each other, or...?”

Trust Bianca to break the spell. I wasn't angry, though. I didn't know what had just happened, and I wasn't sure I wanted to: it was something strange and frightening, and not an experience I particularly wanted to repeat.

“No,” replied N. “At least, I don't think so. We've never met, anyway.”

His eyes darted to mine, looking for help explaining it; I shook my head.

“I have no idea,” I told him.

“I see,” he replied. “All right.”

By now, it was becoming very obvious to the others that something had passed between us that they didn't know about, and the situation was beginning to be uncomfortable; as if to break it up, and return to normal, N looked pointedly away from me and towards Cheren.

“Where was I?” he said. “Ah yes. Pokémon liberation. There's an example right here of interference causing suffering, for instance.”

I sighed with relief. It was over – whatever strange friction had occurred when our minds met, it was over, and we could move on.

“Is there now?” asked Cheren, unconvinced. “Go on, then.”

“Your Archen,” said N, turning to Bianca. “I'm sorry, I don't know your name...?”

“Bianca,” she replied. “But it's not my Archen, it's Jared's, and—”

“Jared. Of course.” He glanced at me with some unease. “Well... listen to her. Her species comes from a time when there was around 130% more oxygen in the air than today, and when the global temperature was three degrees higher. Here, in cold Unova, she's freezing – and wheezing terribly. Her body can't cope.”

I stared at him.

“How on earth do you—?”

N said something too fast and too quietly for me to hear, and Candy hopped from Bianca's shoulder to his hand; he held her close to his ear, and listened.

“As I suspected,” he said. “Her diet is no good for her, either. She has an abnormally high heart rate, even for a bird. Thanks to the changing atmosphere, she's also asthmatic – verging on bronchitic, in fact. I would keep her out of cities if I were you.”

“Candy, come here. Now.”

I held out my arm, and Candy looked up at N.

“Go on,” he said. “Go back to him.”

She refused to move, and N repeated what he'd said earlier – or something similar to it – and finally, with great reluctance, she climbed up my arm to my shoulder.

“OK, apart from the fact that everyone knows that she's an Archen,” I said with annoyance, “what the hell is going on here? Who are you? How did you... control her like that?”

N raised his eyebrows.

“Control? No. Never.” He sounded hurt – physically, as if I'd punched him. “I don't control anything, especially not Pokémon. I'm not a Trainer.” He pronounced the word with unusual venom; I was beginning to get the idea that he was probably a pretty damn fervent supporter of Harmonia for Prime Minister. “Excuse me,” he said politely, recovering himself. “I... suppose I'm a friend to Pokémon, rather than a master. We have a mutual understanding.”

He coughed, suddenly uncomfortable.

“Ah, anyway, I'd better go. It was... enlightening... to talk to you.”

Abruptly, he turned and began to walk away, without even waiting for anyone else to say goodbye.

“Can you talk to them?” asked Bianca suddenly, and N stopped.

“And what if I can?” he asked, without turning around.

“Um... nothing, I guess,” she replied, looking helplessly at Cheren and I for direction. “I, um – I was just wondering, since you looked like you were talking to Candy...”

N looked back at us.

“I think we'll meet again,” he said, eyes on me. “Things may have become clearer then... at the moment, I have a few concerns that I need to work through.”

He was talking about me – I just knew it.

“Yeah, me too,” I replied. “I'll see you sometime... N.”

“Jared.”

We maintained eye contact for longer than could reasonably be considered normal, each searching the other for something – anything – that might explain this; then, as if by mutual agreement, we broke our stares at the same moment, and N walked briskly away across the plaza and down the street.

Cheren, Bianca and Halley stared at me.

“It always seems to fall to me to be the one to say this,” said Halley, “but what the f*ck was all that about, man?”

---

Twenty minutes and one hopelessly inadequate explanation later, we were walking through the maze of tiny lanes that formed Accumula's outskirts, following the signs for the Trainer Trail north towards Striaton. I'd tried my best to articulate the strange connection between N and me – but given that I didn't understand it myself, there wasn't much I could do to explain it, and what I'd come up with hadn't even been clear enough to satisfy me, let alone any of the others.

We were about ten minutes into a bewildered silence when my phone rang again. It seemed I was popular this morning.
“Hello?”

“Jared, status report,” said the voice at the other end without preamble. “I've managed to stop Mum and Dad from calling you so far, but I'm not sure how much longer I can hold them off. I'm finding it difficult to tell whether they're angry or worried at the moment; either way, you can expect to have to explain yourself to them sometime soon.”

“Uh... OK,” I said, slightly taken aback, as people so often are, by Cordelia's manner. “What – what exactly am I meant to say to them?”

“That's kind of your problem, not mine,” she said. “I'm doing all I can to keep things going here. Where are you, by the way?”
“Accumula, but—”

“Accumula? What on earth for? Actually, never mind. Have you found out any more about why these people are after you and who they are?”

“No, not really, but I did—”

“Good thing I have, then. From his I.D. card, the man who came to question us earlier today belonged to the Green Party, which means that for whatever reason, they're the ones who want Halley.”

“The Green Party? With... with Harmonia?”

“There isn't any other Green Party,” Cordelia said patiently. “I also went through his briefcase when he wasn't looking—”

“You what?”

“It's called being proactive, Jared. So, I went through his briefcase and found out that apparently they want you because you're connected to Halley and they want Halley because she's connected to someone who stole something from them.”

“A thief... sounds like the sort of friend Halley would have,” I murmured. “OK, Cords, thanks for that. I'll look into it.”

“All right. I haven't uncovered anything else, and I'm not sure I'm going to. I don't think the people are coming back here again.” Cordelia paused. “Stay safe,” she said at length, and hung up.

I stared at the phone for a moment.

“You are the weirdest kid on the planet,” I muttered, putting it back in my pocket. “OK, Halley? Do you know any thieves?”

“Probably,” she replied cheerfully. “Don't remember them, though.”

“OK. Well, Cordelia's found out that it's the Green Party that are after you, and they're doing it because you've got some kind of connection to someone who stole something important from them.”

Cheren raised an eyebrow.

“Why am I not surprised?” he murmured, to no one in particular.

“The Green Party? Oh, I bet it's Harmonia,” said Bianca, frowning deeply. “He seemed like a bad guy.”

“He seemed very reasonable, if misguided,” corrected Cheren.

“He said humans and Pokémon needed to be separated—!”

“He made valid points,” interrupted Halley. “Aw, man! I hope it isn't him after me... If I were Unovan, he'd have my vote. There are only, like, five people in the whole world I agree with; I don't want to end up mortal enemies with one of them.”

“I don't know. It might not go all the way up to Harmonia, I guess... but we can't be certain. Turn right here,” he added, stepping off the pavement and onto a footpath without hesitation.

I blinked, startled by the abrupt change in direction, and followed. The path disappeared between two little cottages, and within a few metres seemed to end up a million miles away from civilisation; trees rose either side of the trail and bent over them in a kind of leafy arch, and the distant sound of traffic faded seamlessly into the twitter of birdsong.

Halley and I shivered, and exchanged a look.

“You too?” she asked.

“Yeah,” I replied, knowing exactly what she meant. “Me too.”

Bianca looked at us quizzically.

“What?”

“We're city kids,” I explained. “This... is kind of unsettling.”

“Aren't there Liepard in these woods?” asked Halley, keeping close to my legs.

“I believe so,” answered Cheren without concern. “I hope we meet some – they'll be good training, and I think I might like to catch one.”

“Jesus. You Trainers are f*cking crazy,” muttered Halley, and for once I had to agree with her. The only Liepard I'd ever seen was a corpse possessed by some kind of fear-oozing demon; I couldn't for the life of me understand the mindset that would make anyone want to go out and find any more of them.

“I don't like Liepard,” said Bianca. “Or Purrloin. They're vicious. My cousin had a Purrloin that killed rats and hung the bodies on the rose bushes in the garden. It looked like it was snowing corpses.” She shivered.

“Oh, Christ. I disgust myself, but that sounds delicious,” muttered Halley. “This cat body is getting in my head.”

“I really didn't need to know that,” I told her.

“Yes, I think we can all agree on that,” said Cheren with such an air of finality that the conversation withered and died upon the spot, and we walked on in silence, the only noise the occasional squawk from Candy.

Half an hour later, Halley spoke again – and predictably enough, it was in a whine.

“I don't like this,” she complained. “My legs are shorter than yours and I'm tired. Carry me.”

“Not if you ask like that,” I told her.

“I don't want you to carry me, anyway,” she replied. “You've got that psycho dinosaur hawk on your shoulder. But...” A sly grin spread across her face, and she wound herself between Bianca's legs, mewing piteously. Naturally, she reacted by burbling something about cuteness and snatching Halley from the ground to hug to her chest.

“Mission accomplished,” purred Halley quietly, her self-satisfied grin visible over Bianca's shoulder. I ignored her, despite wishing that there was some way someone could carry me, and followed Cheren on down the trail.

---

In the dark, somewhere near the crossroads of then and now, Teiresias dragged its body through the void. The battles aboard the train and in the street had not been kind to it; the bird and the wildcat had between them damaged it to the point where Teiresias was considering abandoning it for another. It was, after all, mere ballast, there only to keep it anchored to the mortal realm – and it was difficult to drag it through the dark paths, where spirit flowed freely and flesh dragged like stone.

The journey was easier than it had been earlier, though; when Teiresias had taken the dark path from White Forest to Nacrene, it had had to take Smythe with it, and hauling that quantity of physical matter through the spirit realms was no mean feat. Now, with just a light, half-destroyed Liepard corpse weighing it down, Teiresias almost flew down the path, its lifeless paws barely touching what passed for the ground.

“She will be hiding now,” it mused, voice almost as dead as the air in which it hung. “They are making allies... I must not let that Munna interfere again.”

Ahead of it, a flickering white presence appeared, and Teiresias slowed for a moment, wary – but it moved away again and vanished into the distance in a few seconds, leaving Teiresias alone once more.

“Few of us are abroad today,” it observed, casting its psychic eye about the area and detecting no other travellers. “I wonder... I suspect most of us are with Plasma now.”

Those of Teiresias' kind in Unova that had not sided with Plasma were either weakling irrelevancies, or crazed creatures with whom there was no reasoning; neither warranted investigation. The weak ones were prey for the desperate, and the crazed ones... Well. No one crossed their paths if they could avoid it. They were dangerous, even to those of Teiresias' rank – and that was saying something. Teiresias had been in existence (it did not call it life) for eleven thousand years, and though it was no longer the shadowy god that had ravaged Jericho and scourged Uruk, it was still a force to be reckoned with. But those mad beings that wandered the dark paths, flitting over the surface of the earth with only hunger and pain on their minds... They were something else altogether.

Teiresias pulled its thoughts back to the task at hand, aware that to let one's mind wander in this place was to run the risk of drifting permanently into limbo, and ran on down the path, searching for the crack in reality that would show it the way back into reality. The tail fell off its body, and with a twitch of annoyance it shed the entire corpse, letting it stream away behind it in a long line of dust and fur; now free to expand to full size, Teiresias flexed its vast body and sprung forward with renewed vigour, racing on towards the crack – and towards its prey, skulking in the forested trails around Route 2.

---

“So let me get this straight,” said Harmonia, frowning lopsidedly. “You captured them both, got them secured – and they both escaped?”

“In my defence, that boy is a lot younger and stronger than I am,” replied Smythe faintly desperately.

They were sitting in the parlour of the Bertram Hotel, before a lively fire that effectively banished the spring chill from the room; Harmonia had ordered a half-hour break in the barrage of journalists who had come to ask him about his new Liberation policy in order to make time for Smythe's appointment, and now the two of them were alone together. This, quite frankly, terrified Smythe, partly because Harmonia was his boss and partly because he was drumming his fingers on a large book on ancient torture techniques of the Fertile Crescent.

“Now, Smythe,” said Harmonia, removing his hand from the book and leaning forwards, “I understand that this isn't your usual work. But I don't for a moment believe that he could have overpowered you while handcuffed if you didn't want him to. Don't you remember why I picked you for this?”

Smythe did. He might be a minor civil servant at the moment, but that was only the latest chapter in what had been something of a chequered past. It wasn't something he liked to advertise, but for various reasons – mostly bad luck and paranormal mishap – he was persona non grata in thirteen countries, despite his best efforts to convince authorities that 'this isn't what it looks like'. Smythe understood better than most the bitter truth of the aphorism that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

He had thought that, with his quiet government job in Unova, things might have settled down; unfortunately for him, Harmonia had somehow learned of his past activities, with the result that he of all people was deemed most suitable for this illegal hunt for Halley and Black.

“Well, yes,” Smythe replied. “But sir... I don't really think this is something I'm particularly good at.”

Harmonia raised his one remaining eyebrow.

“You'll excuse me if I don't believe that, given your past exploits.” He sighed. “No, Smythe, this won't do. You'll have to try harder – more so now that they have people helping them. You said they were Trainers?” Smythe nodded. “Trainers have an irritating habit of visiting Gyms,” Harmonia went on. “Gyms contain Gym Leaders, and Gym Leaders are part of the Pokémon League. Do you see where I'm going with this?”

Smythe nodded. The League had today become the Party's greatest opponent, with the revelation of the Liberation policy. It was the oldest part of the government that still had power, and its age leant it authority; if its members got wind of any of the Party's more questionable activities, they would gleefully take the chance to cripple Harmonia's election chances.

“Of course, if we can recover the artefact, we can overcome any opposition,” Harmonia continued, “but as we haven't yet done so, I think we need to be cautious. Find them, Smythe. They're becoming a larger and larger problem with every hour they remain out of our control.” His HawkEye narrowed to a threatening red pinprick, a steel iris closing down on the lens. “I don't think I need to remind you what happens to those who fail the Party. You've faced that penalty many times before, but this time you won't be wriggling free. You can trust me on that.”

Smythe believed him. He'd received more than his fair share of death threats in his time – so many that he was a little blasé about them – but they packed a serious punch when they came from Harmonia. Anyone who allied themselves so readily with such horrific forces was definitely someone to fear.

“I'll – I'll get right on it, sir,” he said, getting to his feet too quickly and accidentally kicking over a footstool. “Oh! Uh, sorry, sir—”
“If you need backup, take one of our noble friends along with you,” Harmonia added, ignoring him. “Perhaps that charming Teiresias fellow. It seemed interested in Halley at the meeting.”

“All – all right, sir,” stuttered Smythe, wondering distantly what sort of man could call Teiresias charming. “I'll – I'll be on my way, then – you probably have things to do—”

“Just get on with it,” said Harmonia, evidently amused by his discomfort. “Go on. And tell Rood to let the reporters back in on your way out.”

Smythe left without another word. Once again, life had left him up the creek without a paddle – and this time, the water seemed too rough for him to swim for it.

---

I'll freely admit that I'm not used to extended periods of walking, or indeed any physical activity; shopping has made me pretty useful in a fistfight, but that's about the extent of my ability. I'll also admit that I'm not used to staying out in the cold all day; if it isn't a nice day and I don't have to leave the house, then I won't.

But I challenge any reasonable person to walk all day like I did then and not feel pretty miserable by the end of it. At around four o'clock, Cheren decided (apparently he was in charge; it wasn't an official appointment, but he seemed the appropriate person to ask for guidance) we would stop for a short rest, and by then I was seriously envious of Halley, who was not only still being carried by Bianca but had fluffed out her fur and looked suspiciously warm.

“This forest life isn't so bad,” she said, jumping from Bianca's arms to land among the leaves. “Maybe I could get used to this.”

I shot her a dirty look, and she responded with the most evil grin ever to grace a feline snout; defeated, I shook my head and sat down with the others on a log bench placed thoughtfully at the roadside by the Trail's constructors.

“Is this what it's like being a Trainer?” I asked. “Endless walking and nothing to do?”

“Only when you're near towns,” replied Cheren. “That's why we're resting now. We're about far enough from Accumula that we'll probably start to see the occasional wild Pokémon; I've selected the road less travelled, as it were, in order to maximise our chances of finding something.”

“Ooh! Maybe I can find a friend for Munny and Smokey!” cried Bianca excitedly. “Like, a cute little—”

“I think two Pokémon is probably enough for you to train right now,” Cheren informed her. “I have enough to handle with just Lelouch, although I'm tempted by a Purrloin... We'll see. I don't really want to catch anything unless it's a new species. If we find one of them, I'll catch it for the Pokémon Index Project.”

“The what?” I asked.

“The Pokémon Index Project,” repeated Cheren. “Or Pokédex, for short. It's a global database of Pokémon information, started by Professor Oak in Kanto in 1992 and adopted by almost every developed nation since. Formerly, there was only access to it in Pokémon Centres and suchlike – but last year, Lanette Burstein released a smartphone app that lets you take a photograph of a Pokémon with your phone and automatically find its Pokédex entry.”

“OK, I didn't really need that much detail, but thanks anyway.”

Cheren blinked.

“It always pays to learn your subjects to a certain degree of depth,” he said with dignity, and fell silent.

“I'm going to let out Smoky,” Bianca informed us, totally oblivious to the tension, and released her Tepig in a burst of red light; he looked around at the forest, caught sight of his own tail, stared at it as if it had suddenly turned into the Mona Lisa and promptly fell asleep.

“Uh... I don't think he wants to come out,” I said.

Oh,” sighed Bianca crossly. “He always does that.”

“He didn't last night.”

“Well, not always. But, like, most of the time.” She stared at the sleeping pig and stuck out her lower lip like a petulant child. “I think he's just lazy.”

Candy crept down my arm, eyes fixed on Smoky and saliva dripping from her beak; I sighed, pinched her jaws together and turned her head to look at me.

“No,” I said firmly. “I get the feeling that at some point soon you're going to get a chance to attack stuff, but these Pokémon are out of bounds, OK?”

She looked at me innocently, but I wasn't fooled.

“Don't give me that,” I warned her. “No biting. Got it?”

Reluctantly, she climbed back up to my shoulder, and I knew I'd got through to her at last.

“Right,” said Bianca. “Smoky! Up!”

The Tepig opened one eye, regarded her with porcine placidity for a moment, and went back to sleep. Pouting, Bianca recalled him and sent out the floating pink thing that had attacked Teiresias last night instead.

“Munny will follow us, won't you?” she asked it; in response, it drifted over to her head and nuzzled her cheek.

“Are its eyes painted on?” I asked with a kind of horrified fascination.

“No, Munna are just strange,” Cheren informed me. “Bianca's is no exception.”

“Oh, of course. I should've guessed.” I shook my head. “This is all normal for you two, isn't it?”

“Yes, it is,” admitted Cheren. “This situation is very much the norm for me. Well, except for the talking cat.”

“People keep calling me 'the talking cat',” complained Halley. “Can't you call me 'the girl who turned into a cat' or something? I feel so dehumanised.”

“You have been dehumanised. Literally.”

“Shut up, pedant.”

“Are we going now?” asked Bianca, bouncing to her feet. “Come on! Munny and I are ready!”

Munny rotated slowly in midair, blinking and gaping, and I had to wonder how she knew it was ever ready for anything.

“All right, all right,” replied Cheren, getting to his feet. “I suppose I'll let out Lelouch, too.”

His Snivy appeared before him, swiftly checked the area for hostiles, decided we were safe and settled into a watchful, faintly supercilious position at his heels. The difference between him and Smoky couldn't have been more marked.

I sighed, and gingerly lowered myself back onto my aching feet, hoping that we wouldn't be walking much longer today. Unfortunately for me and my blistered right heel, that hope was horribly misguided, and I was to end up suffering for quite a few hours more. It wasn't until eight that we finally stopped for the night, and so exhausted was I by this time that I barely registered we weren't moving before I was asleep.

---

Halley sat by the fire – the only useful thing Smoky had done for them since breaking Jared's cuffs – and waited. The others were asleep, the boys in Cheren's tent and Bianca in hers; the little campsite was Halley's alone. So deep in the forest were they that the trail was almost nonexistent, and sitting upright in her fluffed fur, forepaws lined up neatly against her belly, she felt like she was the only person in the world.

Time passed. The fire burned lower; Halley added what wood she could manage to it and poked it with a stick, bringing it back to the blazing prime of its life. Idly, she wondered if perhaps there was a way for her to do that, to cancel out her age when it got too high and set it back to some more pleasing number – and then she realised that she had no idea how old she was, and decided she must be pretty young anyway.

All at once, the breeze stopped dead. The trees around them froze, branches caught mid-wave by sudden paralysis; before Halley's eyes, each individual flame of the fire stood still, locked into a single moment.

Tick.

Then, within a second, everything started again. Halley pressed one paw against Jared's iPhone (carefully purloined from his pocket earlier), and saw that its clock read 00:00.

“I thought so,” she murmured. “Midnight, huh?”

“What are you doing?”

Halley started, and turned to see Cheren sitting behind her. He didn't look like he'd just woken up, either; he had been waiting for this, she could tell.

“Conducting an experiment,” she replied. “About this Dream World thing.”

Cheren's expression didn't change.

“You don't fool me,” he said, and Halley knew he wasn't talking about the experiment.

“I'm impressed,” she replied, stretching lazily and curling up. “Then again, I guess not much gets past you.”

“It pays to watch people.” Cheren's finger played over the button of Lelouch's Poké Ball. “And I don't like what I see.”

“And what is it exactly that you see?”

Cheren paused.

“I don't know,” he answered at length. “But I don't trust you.”

“Good,” said Halley, with sudden force. “I'm not trustworthy. Never have been, never will be.”

“What do you want?”

“What do you think? Protection, f*ckwit.” Halley snorted. “I'm hiding from the Green Party or whoever else it is that's after me.”

Cheren's gaze didn't waver; Halley had to wonder whether he even needed to blink.

“Who are you, really?”

“Yeah, ask the amnesiac who she is.” Halley laughed. “I don't know, Cheren. The only thing I'm sure of is that I'm not a very nice person.”

“You didn't need to tell me that.”

“I'm sure I didn't.” Halley yawned, and the firelight danced on her pale fangs. “Go to sleep, Cheren. I expect tomorrow's going to be a long day.”

“This conversation isn't over,” Cheren warned her, and retreated to his tent. Halley watched him for a minute – watched the tent flap fall shut and the zip fasten; watched until there were no more sounds but the breathing of the teenagers and the crackle of the flames – and turned back to the fire.

“It isn't over, is it?” she muttered, hunching into a tight ball and tasting thunderstorms on her tongue. “We'll see, Cheren. We'll see.”

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
How does the dream world thing work?