• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Crawl Out of the Sand Tomb, Ash and Goh! (1125)

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Goh didnt take an advantage of ash situation to catch a mon, what the hell are you talking about where did you even get that?
If anything it's the opposite. Ash obviously took advantage of Goh in order to "regain his lost battle spirit" by forcing Goh into a situation where he had to take on a strong Pokemon all by himself. When he saw Goh succeed, his thoughts were "damn, if Goh can do that, Bea should be a piece of cake", and thus he was able to become his normal self again. It's a very twisted friendship where Ash uses his years of experience as a trainer in order to manipulate an obvious rookie into doing his bidding.

It's quite messed up, and quite frankly, Ash has to be called out for his psychopathic behavior.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I would be surprised to see everyone reactions if the show decides to make Go the Galar League Champion, thanks to the potential he got during his battle against Flygon that could be pushed further beyond if the writers/directors choose to.
This would be the best series if Go beats Ash in the end of PJ lol.

MagicKarpInSpace

If I was Go my goal of catching everything would be 2nd to helping Ash get out of his funk, and I certainly wouldn't take advantage of my friend just to catch something strong.
U here being overly compassionate friend so much so that it will make ash depend on you rather than reassuring its strength. Gou rightly inspired him with his own strategy which he ceased to remember. Ash is not about only having strong mons but strategies to come out of difficulties.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
If anything it's the opposite. Ash obviously took advantage of Goh in order to "regain his lost battle spirit" by forcing Goh into a situation where he had to take on a strong Pokemon all by himself. When he saw Goh succeed, his thoughts were "damn, if Goh can do that, Bea should be a piece of cake", and thus he was able to become his normal self again. It's a very twisted friendship where Ash uses his years of experience as a trainer in order to manipulate an obvious rookie into doing his bidding.

It's quite messed up, and quite frankly, Ash has to be called out for his psychopathic behavior.

You should probably add /s to this coz seeing the level at which people spew bs here it wouldnt surprise me if someone thought you were being serious :p

dman_dustin

Goh didnt take an advantage of ash situation to catch a mon, what the hell are you talking about where did you even get that?

Sorry I wasn't clear enough but I wasn't talking about Ash's depression.

He was asking Ash to help battle Flygon just so he could catch it using Ash is what I meant.

Similiar to the idea Ash has Dragonite, and battles Flygon, Go hypothetical does nothing and Go ends up catching it.

So in other words I should've said "tried to take advantage" because in actuality in the episode, Ash didn't do anything and it was all Go.

U here being overly compassionate friend so much so that it will make ash depend on you rather than reassuring its strength. Gou rightly inspired him with his own strategy which he ceased to remember. Ash is not about only having strong mons but strategies to come out of difficulties.

No, my idea is Ash overcomes a battling issue by doing it himself, while snapping out of it with a verbal slap in the face, I don't see how that's dependance?

As I said Go basically said "There's always next time" sure I'm simplifying the hell out of it but how are words supposed to help more than seeing he's capable with his own eyes and his own strength?

Last edited:

TheCrazyMaster

Oh shoot, I forgot to give my review when the episode actually came out.

Anyways, I thought this was a really good Go episode. While I still feel annoyed by his single shot captures, I thought that they made the first two captures feel deserved as Go had to put more strategy into his ball throws, like throwing the ball at Trapinch at a certain angle in correlation with the wind, or having Raboot kick the ball a Vibrava (which I thought was a really nice touch since it fits well with its signature kicking movements). I really liked the fact that he had to be very strategic in his battle with Flygon, and I'm really hoping that he has more captures like this, and combined with the new opening showcasing a full team I really think this is where they're going.

I have mixed feelings about how Ash was handled. I liked that he started hesitating in his battles due to being reminded how tricky the anatomy and tentacles on Grapploct were. That said, Ash being worrisome about his losses was supposedly supposed to be treated as a serious setback, yet prior to entering the sandstorm it was basically treated as a gag that was meant to be funny to the viewer, and it wasn't until he entered the sandstorm that it was treated as a serious setback that was bumming him out. I also feel like last weeks episode ruined the pacing of Ash handling his loss. First we have Ash losing his first WC battle and he's really upset, then he seemingly forgets about it in the Pikachu episode and doesn't take it seriously until this episode. Honestly this issue wouldn't exist if the last two episodes prior had just switched places. But I really loved the fact that it was Go that got as back on his feet (er.... flopping down in the sand I guess?) by telling him that he was inspired by Ash's flexibility in battle to bring down Flygon.

Also thought it was funny when Sobble scared everyone when it was invisible with the goggles on :D

I also thought it was pretty funny when Ash and Go found the people about to get eaten by Trapinch that Go didn't bother trying to save the first and pulled out his Pokedex instead, listening to the info on Trapinch, as each and every one of the civilians pleas for help turned into blood curdling agonizing screams as they were devoured, but Go didn't care. He knew full well that he could intervene but chose not to because knowledge is far more important than human lives, and that he would do it again without hesitation.

Welp that's all I had to say.

ShadowForce720

Sorry I wasn't clear enough but I wasn't talking about Ash's depression.

He was asking Ash to help battle Flygon just so he could catch it using Ash is what I meant.

Similiar to the idea Ash has Dragonite, and battles Flygon, Go hypothetical does nothing and Go ends up catching it.

So in other words I should've said "tried to take advantage" because in actuality in the episode, Ash didn't do anything and it was all Go.

No, my idea is Ash overcomes a battling issue by doing it himself, while snapping out of it with a verbal slap in the face, I don't see how that's dependance?

As I said Go basically said "There's always next time" sure I'm simplifying the hell out of it but how are words supposed to help more than seeing he's capable with his own eyes and his own strength?

The whole point of the episode was to have Go use what he learned from Ash to help inspire Ash. This is highlighted by the fact that after Go got Flygon he specifically pointed out that he was only able to battle like that and catch Flygon because of what he learned from Ash.

The episode is not about Go trying to taking advantage of Ash or the situation. I mean heck the best way to specifically show what Go has learned from Ash was to have Go battle and catch Flygon.

If anything he was asking Ash to help with Flygon more because he knows Ash enjoys battling and thought it would help cheer Ash up.

Also there are more then one way to come out of a issue, sure some people can work it out by themselves, but other people need more of a push in the right direction.

Trying to say that this episode was about screwing Ash over or that it was only about Go getting a Pokémon or looking good is misconstruing what the episode is actually trying to convey and about.

I’m not saying that you have to like the episode, but it’s important to actually understand what the episode is about rather then over focusing on things and misconstruing things.

Basically what the episode did was have Go show what he learned from Ash and use it to help inspire Ash which allowed Ash to realize that he wasn’t being himself.

This not about defending Go or putting him on a pedestal. If anything the episode props Ash up considering that it’s thanks to him influencing and inspiring Go that allowed Go to be able to battle the way he did and catch Flygon.

dman_dustin

The whole point of the episode was to have Go use what he learned from Ash to help inspire Ash. This is highlighted by the fact that after Go got Flygon he specifically pointed out that he was only able to battle like that and catch Flygon because of what he learned from Ash.
Yes because Ash was being a moron by letting how he felt about his losses affect his commentary which Go clearly was annoyed by.

The episode is not about Go trying to taking advantage of Ash or the situation. I mean heck the best way to specifically show what Go has learned from Ash was to have Go battle and catch Flygon.
I don't think you can be selfish and selfless at the same time and Go was definitely leaning more selfish here, again the keyword is "tried" he primairly wanted Ash's help so he could catch Flygon. Sure secondarily he may have wanted to help Ash but the end goal was to catch Flygon not to help Ash. That was a secondary goal.

If anything he was asking Ash to help with Flygon more because he knows Ash enjoys battling and thought it would help cheer Ash up.
Outside of Vibrava's capure I'll give a positive mark on Go here. The scene indicated Go didn't believe he himself to catch it alone and so he wanted Ash's help. It's just ruined because Go was able to it himself and comes across as just wanting to benefit from Ash's hard work considering Go didn't attack until Ash was failing. The positive is that Go was able to prove to himself he was good enough, only 2 issues with this; he didn't struggle then ask Ash for help and it shouldn't have been about Go. I think I would've had a much better time with this if Ash didn't participate. It was Go's capture why not just let him do it, bringing in Ash just to fail is infuriating when the end goal is Go catching Flygon.

Also there are more then one way to come out of a issue, sure some people can work it out by themselves, but other people need more of a push in the right direction.
That's why I said a combination of verbal support and battling.

Just the eqiuvalency of "You'll do better next time, don't give up" is just pure laziness because instead of devoting to Ash so he can get back into it as it were it was framed to be primarily about Go. And that sbows absolute favortism.

I don't think "throwing Ash under the bus" was intentional as malicious as an obvious middle finger to Ash fans but was the effect of the favortism.

Go was the only one to benefit from this episode, istead Ash fails completely only to go back to relative status Go. And that's why I don't like the narrative episode structure because what should've been about Ash was instead about Go in favor of bias and laziness.

Because why waste an episode about Ash truly rediscovering himself when you can just turn this into Go development and "fix" Ash only with words? Guess the pep talk means he's ready to defeat Leon.

Trying to say that this episode was about screwing Ash over or that it was only about Go getting a Pokémon or looking good is misconstruing what the episode is actually trying to convey and about.

I'm not saying the entire 22 minute episode is throwing Ash under the bus I was more than willing to accept Ash's rank down to normal. What I didn't like was that the bulk switched to Go to make this about him screwing Ash out of proper quality because why not.

As I've said multiple times, plot slightly altered to be more about Go completely, less Ash failure as well as moved later on (the episode airing at a later date). And I would be absolutely fine.

Let me repeat myself: I have a problem with the narrative and story structure of the episode and it's chronological placement. Episode 36 should've been an Ash, Riolu, Farfetch'd training episode.

Or if they wanted to present this narrative, the episode should've been Ash battling a strong wild Pokemon, with Go giving him verbal support, snapping him out of it, successfully defeating said Pokemon and adding it to his team, and as a joje have Go throw a Poke ball at Ash's face, IDK. To be fair Ash doesn't need to necessarily catch the Pokemon but I'd rather Ash battle and defeat a strong trainer if that was the case instead of giving Go a freebie just because he hast have everything.

And then have after Ash vs Bea rematch (whichever episode could be about Go) the new Flygon episode where Ash and Go are separated, Ash saves people, while Go catches Trapinch and Vibrava. Have him go up against Flygon, he struggles, Ash catches up but is blocked off from helping, Ash encourages Go the same way Go did in that hypothetical episode. Rinse and repeat. And Go catches a Flygon. I also would expect this new episode to highlight character flaws Go has that sort of are resolved during the battle.

And in thus hypothetical universe I am happy with what's going on.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I also thought it was pretty funny when Ash and Go found the people about to get eaten by Trapinch that Go didn't bother trying to save the first and pulled out his Pokedex instead, listening to the info on Trapinch, as each and every one of the civilians pleas for help turned into blood curdling agonizing screams as they were devoured, but Go didn't care. He knew full well that he could intervene but chose not to because knowledge is far more important than human lives, and that he would do it again without hesitation. Welp that's all I had to say.
Well, in the mainstream games you have the occasional "world is being threatened" plot yet during the fated battle to save the world the games give you all the time at your disposal to plan your next move/action. I guess this is the typical turn based rpg logic in which would probably apply while using a Pokedex in the anime as well.

Alphadeathdust

This episode (and the next couple of few actually) shows how much the episodic format can really hurt a show when you're trying to tell an interesting story with multiple conflicts clashing together for that deserved time on the 22 minutes.
The two main conflicts of course being, Ash's slump and Flygon's nest appearing in Hoenn.
First Ash's slump stems from the loss to Bea and the effects it has had on his battles against cephalopodic pokemons, causing his rank to drop. (ignoring the blatant question of "well why didnt he use the rest of his pokemons") The battles themselves were short and flawed, showing that the reason why Ash lost is because he focused on ranged combat when in fact all he did was use Vaccum Wave over and over while being stational instead of say, trying out different strategies that fail because either the opponent outsmarts his strategy or is simply too powerful against it.
After this Ash is fallen into a slump of sorts, having his rank lowered out of super class into normal class.
Meanwhile Prof. Cerise informs his lab assitants about the mysterious sandstorm in Hoenn to which Goh takes interest as it involves a mysterious pokemon. Eager to find and capture the pokemon he tells Ash to join him only to be met with him slouching in the corner almost comedically to which Goh drags him out saying "A good battle would cheer you up".
Now as previous members have mentioned this feels selfish that Goh would ignore his friends issues in favor of having help for the upcoming battle to which i both agree and disagree.
I agree that it is selfish for reasons i would get to concerning how the story is planned.
I disagree because in context it is in Goh's character to act like this, he is a loner child who has never had any real friends before Ash and unlike him, who would drop everything in favor of helping their friends, he is instead focused on his goal while also trying to help in his own way, rationalising that "My friend would feel better once he finds and battles this cool pokemon with me", more on this later.
to keep the post short, Goh and Ash arrive in the sandstorm and encounter the cause of it, Flygon. Up to now Ash has been almost normal but the second Goh asks for a battle he fumbles and by habit calls out a thunderbolt, his go to move, to which Goh and himself comment on it being ineffective.
Now this part i enjoyed alot, Goh using smart tactics such as dampening the sandstorm, making it heavy and ofc Raboot's amazing battle.
After the battle Ash comments on how crazy Goh's tactic was to which he replies that "He learned to not give up and use any and all strategies from Ash" causing Ash to have a moment of self reflection on how silly he has been throught the day. (tho im almost positive Goh didnt actually realise how deep his words connected with Ash, or how deep Ash's issue was to be honest, given that when he slumped in relief he actually thought the shock of his loss was finally getting to him, poor guy never has experience a friend having a slump)
Now my main issue:
The episodic nature of the show caused Ash's slump to feel out of place, random and of course, solved easily with a pep talk when it could have easily been cut to 3 episodes while moving the Pikachu episode to another date, having EP35 be about Ash trying different strategies allowing the slump to feel more smooth and natural- EP36 be completely about the boys getting caught in the middle of the sandstorm instead of taking a trip from Kanto to Hoenn and making the transition jarring, and showcasing how Ash's slump has started to affect his fight against other pokemons and not just Cephalopodic ones and have Goh's pep talk give Ash the verbal slap, making him re think his actions for the next episode where instead of a generic reason of "Meeting alolan exeggutor" Ash is there to meet his friends and older pokemons for training, Goh tagging along to investigate the pikachu valley, hoping to catch one himself.
That way Goh still catches flygon without Ash's issues being rushed and the plot flows more naturally, and hell even if we must have the pikachu episode between Bea and flygon, we could have had team rocket have tentacruel and octillery. slump would be much worse when its the Trio that beat him (especially since pikachu was gonna get nabbed in the episode anyways)
So yeah Tl;dr
The episode was well intentioned with some great points but ultimately tried to tackle a subject bigger than what it's episodic format allows.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Wow, this was a great episode. It really just made a point and drove that point home on how much Ash and Go have influenced each other, and in turn how they can motivate and push themselves to keep going using the lessons they learned from growing together. I felt it was realistic for Ash to get in his head about a particular strategy, we’ve seen this before a few times. Ash is infamous for overthinking when it comes to losses, and just because he’s overcome it every time doesn’t mean it can’t happen anymore. I like that this is a consistent trait for Ash, it makes him feel more complex and shows that negative traits, like positive ones, don’t just go away even when you think you’ve ‘conquered’ them.

I like how Go had to work for Flygon. Raboot’s improvement in battling has felt very natural to me. The choreography for the battle itself was more dynamic than usual by using the setting to it’s advantage; Flygon diving into the sand and the Draco Meteor were fun to watch in their creativity. I also really like how Go and Raboot using Ember as the finisher was tied to the move Raboot learned when it evolved. That was a highlight of that particular episode in question, and it showcased their development as a pair quite nicely. The animation was also pretty good; honestly I felt more satisfied with this episode’s battle than all the official matches currently besides Ash vs. Bea.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I had expected. Simple storytelling done right.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I didn't particularly like the changes to Kinsetsu City since it looked a lot different from before, which was unexpected considering that geography of the city wasn't remotely similar to its AG design or even its OR/AS design. I really liked that Gou captured each member of the Nuckrar line, however. We probably won't see Nuckrar or Vibrava as often as his Flygon, but as a collector myself, it's always bothered me when he only captures one member of an evolutionary line and leaves the rest for later.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I thought this was one of the best wild battles leading up to a capture in the history of the anime! Good job, Goh and Raboot!

One thing I don't like about the WCS so far is that the stakes don't feel high because the Normal Class and Great Class haven't felt too different so far, so much so that Ash being downgraded back to Normal Class is treated as the B plot of an episode, and they have to shove it in our face that it's supposedly important due to Ash's depression. If not for that, it would just be numbers increasing back to 4 digits and battles remaining similar. Furthermore, battles haven't felt more important since he came to the Great Class. Wasn't Kricketina Kylie supposedly in Great Class? What was more special about her battle than any of the other random 1v1s in other episodes where the battle wasn't the main focus of the episode? And you might say oh Ash finally had his first loss in Great Class, that's what makes it different but the Bea battle didn't feel any more of a spectacle than the Visquez battle for example. Tbh if the Visquez episode happened while Ash was in Great Class, and they just made her rank a 3-digit number I'd believe it. Basically nothing feels different between these two classes except the number of digits in the opponent's rank, and the writers can just make that whatever they want willy-nilly in each battle, and then use that as a MacGuffin to act like it's a big deal that he dropped a class, when it's really not, and is shoved to the B plot of an episode lmao

He was just really discouraged after his loss streak, and when he fought Flygon, you could tell he sounded nervous or unsure about what to do (which, IIRC, also affected his Pokemon who could feel Ash's insecurity), especially since Flygon was strong and fast. He was "fixed" when Goh told Ash that he learned from Ash himself that he shouldn't give up until the very end, which ended up reassuring Ash once more. I would need to see the subtitles to be sure, though.

Basically in the big climax of the fight vs Flygon, it was like Ash and Goh had switched roles. Ash was on the ground while Goh was still standing against Flyon. He was inspired by Ash to never give up, which ended up inspiring Ash again.

Yes, but it might inspire him, but it does not resolve the specific issue of solving how to fight against Grapploct. Watching the episode, I thought whatever Goh's strategy ended up being was going to inspire a strategy for Ash. Stuff like this has happened in past gens like May or Dawn coming up with a strategy Ash uses. With this not being the case here, this was lackluster for me.

Just them reusing strategies.

Why shouldn't you reuse a strategy if it works? this isn't a prom dress

Never expected him to actually finish the battle.

You don't faint a Pokémon to be able to catch it.

These two things are a bit different. Strong trainers losing time to time is acceptable, forgetting type matchups that can even lead to a loss isn't. It would be better if they forced this on other characters.

He didn't actually forget the matchup. He forgot Flygon's type. And correct me if I'm wrong but after some quick searches on various sites, I don't think Ash has ever battled a Flygon before? In fact this episode might be the first type Flygon's Ground typing has ever been relevant in the history of the anime.

Both are understandable. I've beaten every game, and I didn't even remember Steel was imune to Poison, so when Ash forgot about it for a second against Kukui I didn't mind.
The problem is that certain matchups, like Ground being imune to Electric, or Ghost to Fighting, are more well known for us, so it's weird to see Ash forgetting those, but they're not considered "well know type matchups" in the anime, they're as well known as any other.

Ash didn't forget Electric doesn't affect Ground, he forgot Flygon is Ground. Who can blame him? The Pokémon's name is literally made up of the words Dragon and Flying so it's weird that its two types are not the same as its name implies.

It does not mean his confidence was blasted to oblivion

Um, yes it does. That's literally what happened here.

Rust means using electric moves on ground types that you've encountered before?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Ash has battled a Flygon before this episode.

It doesn't help some of them look like they are of a certain type but actually belong to another

Exactly! I have many friends with whom I've played Pokémon for decades, and they forget or mix up (especially when trying to do instant recall from memory) the typings of 2-type mons, especially when they change types as they evolve. Flygon's literally a Dragon who flies and has the word fly in its name and the other part of its name comes from dragon. I don't blame Ash in any way

If I remember correctly, it really wasn't done well. It was done a lot better here

Possibly, but this is the best one:
Given the series' format, it is rather impossible to see Goh even being a participant because he happens to be hanging out with Ash. If he were to be a participant, it would make things so weird, because Ash practically lives with Goh in a lab where all of Goh's stuff is. There's also the disparity that is the PWC format. Ash and Goh would be battling too often against each other...and in this setting, Goh simply ends up being more endearing because of his miracle Critical Captures making it so easy for him to achieve his dreams and show off his progress as a trainer and a character (unlike Ash's silly undefined dream that keep resetting every 140 episodes).

This only worked in Alola with Ash and Kiawe because Kiawe simply never did anything remotely close to issuing serious battles against Ash and had virtually no reason to compete against him (despite stupid Kukui trying to make them rivals by the third episode), being relegated as a sparring partner. Not a single episode was dedicated to them being the focus in a battle. Kiawe was simply the third wheel of the saga; a person with status who is only around to support Ash. We had the best chance at the Alola League, but not only did it come way too late, but Kiawe's fate was sealed when he fought Gladion; someone he hardly had any time with who always screwed Ash.

So to make Goh even a participant would Goh against the established criteria. The best we can hope is an Ash VS. May bout at the end at best, an Ash VS. Kiawe poignant battle at the middle, or...perish the thought, and Ash VS. Serena bout at worst.

He said Goh would be in the Galar League, not the World Coronation Series. Ash isn't participating in the Galar League.

I will say Go has been nailing those curveballs, almost as if he's been practicing on the mobile game off-screen or something

Maybe he's been practicing with Farfetch'd, who was able to hit all of Goh's fastballs in its debut episode

I didn't particularly like the changes to Kinsetsu City since it looked a lot different from before, which was unexpected considering that geography of the city wasn't remotely similar to its AG design or even its OR/AS design. I really liked that Gou captured each member of the Nuckrar line, however. We probably won't see Nuckrar or Vibrava as often as his Flygon, but as a collector myself, it's always bothered me when he only captures one member of an evolutionary line and leaves the rest for later.

If that bothers you, then I'm wondering, does it bother you when something happens like what happened in the last episode: he catches Pikachu, evolves it, both are now registered to the Rotom Phone, but he now doesn't have a Pikachu any longer?

dman_dustin

Um, yes it does. That's literally what happened here.

Again, Rusty DOES NOT mean your confidence is blasted to oblivion.

Rusty means you haven't done something and your skills atrophy at least in this context.

Rusty: Inept and slow through lack of practice or old age

If you want to stretch the logic then fine Ash is "rusty" on "Flygon" even though Go's Pokedex literally said it was a ground type, and even then if an attack is ineffective you shouldn't be confused as hell, even if the attack should be effective, well guess what the Pokemon is too strong do something else, don't be confused and keep attacking doing the same exact ineffective thing and being told its a ground type and needing to be explained what that means.

Its why I dislike Ash attacking Golurk in episode 14 with thunderbolt, fine he didn't remember Hapu's Golurk for some reason, doesn't mean he should've been so damn confused as to why thunderbolt didn't work.

IDK Ash if Pikachu's thunderbolt doesn't work IDK maybe its freaking IMMUNE to the attack, maybe, IDK apparently thunderbolt has to always deal damage, no immunities out there at all.....nope. How does Ash know Sandile is a ground type and thus electric types won't work but then act like thunderbolt should hit every other Pokemon.

HA HA VERY FUNNY JOKE WRITERS. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Again, Rusty DOES NOT mean your confidence is blasted to oblivion.

Rusty means you haven't done something and your skills atrophy at least in this context.

Rusty: Inept and slow through lack of practice or old age

If you want to stretch the logic then fine Ash is "rusty" on "Flygon" even though Go's Pokedex literally said it was a ground type, and even then if an attack is ineffective you shouldn't be confused as hell, even if the attack should be effective, well guess what the Pokemon is too strong do something else, don't be confused and keep attacking doing the same exact ineffective thing and being told its a ground type and needing to be explained what that means.

Its why I dislike Ash attacking Golurk in episode 14 with thunderbolt, fine he didn't remember Hapu's Golurk for some reason, doesn't mean he should've been so damn confused as to why thunderbolt didn't work.

IDK Ash if Pikachu's thunderbolt doesn't work IDK maybe its freaking IMMUNE to the attack, maybe, IDK apparently thunderbolt has to always deal damage, no immunities out there at all.....nope. How does Ash know Sandile is a ground type and thus electric types won't work but then act like thunderbolt should hit every other Pokemon.

HA HA VERY FUNNY JOKE WRITERS. :rolleyes:
Okay, so I agree with you that rusty isn't the right word to use, and I actually don't agree with whoever wrote rusty, I should have mentioned that, my apologies for not. But I do think his confidence was blasted to oblivion, and I do think as a result of that he forgot Flygon is Ground. I don't think rust played a factor. Does that make sense?

thor94

Didn't really like this episode for the reason that ash looked like a moron, but especially because Goh (a supposed noob battler) in a SINGLE episode, shown and perfectly used strategy and fighting skills that ash only mastered when he was at his peak (SINNOH/KALOS league) after several years of training.
Basically this episode proven that Goh is likely a stronger and better pokemon trainer than Ash, and his supposed past poor battle skills didn't come from some lack of talent but more a lack of motivation and interest for pokemon battle (kinda like gary after johto, despite become full time researcher and barely train anymore, it is enough to keep his level above ash).

I bet, if Goh mounted a team using the strongest rare pokemon he caught (like his rabbit, gorlurk, flygon, suicune, etc) , and used the same skills depicted in this episode, he would likely crush sinnoh, kalos and alola ash dream team without put a real effort in it, in similar way tobias did.

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

Reviewing the Pokémon Anime in 10 words or less:
"I wish Goh had caught Trapinch and evolved later"
Episode: 8/10

Didn't really like this episode for the reason that ash looked like a moron, but especially because Goh (a supposed noob battler) in a SINGLE episode, shown and perfectly used strategy and fighting skills that ash only mastered when he was at his peak (SINNOH/KALOS league) after several years of training.
Basically this episode proven that Goh is likely a stronger and better pokemon trainer than Ash, and his supposed past poor battle skills didn't come from some lack of talent but more a lack of motivation and interest for pokemon battle (kinda like gary after johto, despite become full time researcher and barely train anymore, it is enough to keep his level above ash).

I bet, if Goh mounted a team using the strongest rare pokemon he caught (like his rabbit, gorlurk, flygon, suicune, etc) , and used the same skills depicted in this episode, he would likely crush sinnoh, kalos and alola ash dream team without put a real effort in it, in similar way tobias did.
Ash has no "peak", each of his iterations was showed to be stronger than the previous one but BW Ash.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Hey, Ash has a peak!

It's just that he constantly keeps changing peaks but always falls down to something that should by all means kill him, but he survives and goes for another peak.

There WAS this time he actually got to the top of a peak, but, as we all saw, said peak was a waist-high sandcastle someone built at a beach.

Starswirl Pikachu

I thought this was a good episode for Goh and it somewhat makes up for having his Gym battle happening off screen. In contrast Ash extends his losing streak and becomes traumatized by Octopus pokemon. Not winning all the time is not a big deal but the loss of rank will start to add up eventually. The sandy landscape seems like a nice change of pace.