• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cream of the Croagunk Crop (550)

Jonouchi

Chibi-cario

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Having said that, they could have at least tried to keep the guy high up on the unique scale. I suppose it may save a bit of time, but slapping Masato's haircut onto yet another character is pretty lame. :p

Ah, I knew the hair looked familliar. I wanted to say Kenny's. :p

On a positive note, Craig was the name of my Croagunk in Diamond. :)

Also:

The time when everyone was complaining about Onigiri-paintovers are OVER!

Now that's time for CHARACTER REPAINTINGS!
TO ARMS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

FlareonJupiter

F&J Manga-Ka
One thing bothered me about this episode: In James' flashback, he had the same voice he does now. I was expecting to hear a more "childlike" voice... very weird.

Other than that, this was a good episode...

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
It was wierd how they didn't show Meowth scream like a banchee during the Brick Break. Guess they didn't want meowth to be a fake Croagunk.

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
The episode consisted of countless hilarious and great scenes which are worth talking about, so that I would "insult" today's plot, if I didn't fully cover them.

So, here I go:

Well, first of all, I really liked Crasher Wake. Man, what a impressive, muscular guy! I liked everthing on him: His stature and sportiness, his entertainer qualities and last but not least, his kindness! I'm really looking forward to seeing if he'll turn out to be a tough battler as well.

Sunny boy James and stressed Jessie and Meowth wading through the marsh...just funny (This kinda reminds me of that Hoenn episode when James was eager to train in this "boot camp" on a lonely island while Jessie and Meowth were totally exhausted and depressed ^^ Can you still remember?)

Brock losing it completely when seeing Nurse Joy was hilarious once again.It is always something special when he is drawn like a kitschy romantic lover with his eyes being a bit opened.:lol:
But what pleased me most was the following wedding scene where Ash was wearing a suit. Great! Ash even looks handsome in a suit! Does somebody happen to have a screenshot of this?Unfortunately I don't know how to do this.

Of course, I haven't forgotten to mention Meowth's "impressive" karate performance. One word: Priceless! Frankly, I did expect him to break at leat a few bricks, but the more surprising the result, the funnier the whole scene was actually! Poor Meowth! And that, although it was so determined to win.
Without any doubt, this was the THE funniest moment in today's episode!

Then of course, Dawn's repeated remark "I can't tell them apart" and " I still can't tell them apart". You know what? I thought exactly the same :lol: After having realized this, I couldn't help laughing!

And finally, Ash's (how shall I call it) "dance" at the very end of the episode. It was only lasting a few seconds, but it comes right after Meowth's show in terms of entertainment. Yeah, I really got a lot of entertainment from it and it still makes me laugh when I think back to when our favorite trainer jumped around clumsily and moved like a snake.:lol::lol:

This episode definitely belongs to the category "Comedy". But these episode have their justification as well, because they cause the necessary cheerfulness and relaxation before important episodes with hopefully epic plots.

My decision is clear: Amazing episode, great entertainment. This festival atmosphere makes you think back to summer. Just remember Ash's words "Let's party ,Pikachu", play Kid Rock's "All summer Long", and I promise you, even the worst mood will change immediately! :bounce: :cheers:

8 out of 10 points

Cobalt_Latios

Yay! I had a day off from work today, so I decided I was going to "acquire" this episode and watch it on the same day (to get back to my routine). I think I should say that I've quoted a few things, as I've found out that this works quite well for getting my opinion across; more-so than I originally thought.

However, let's get one group of quotes out of the way first...
HOLY ****.

They...edited that one kid.

I kid you not, the COTD looks totally different. It's bizarre...:0
Hamilton's edit was well done, I wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't know there was an edit.
The change of that kid was great, his hair looks so natural even like it was brown in the original. I can't wait to see the episode!
That's the first thing I thought when I saw Hamilton too! Totally weird. I didn't really care for the original, so I was kinda ok with this change.
The Average (didn't mind at all)
- Hamilton's hair was changed from the Japanese version to the dub, Possibly by the animators for unknown reasons.
Yeeeah, true. I had to double-take at first because it was so well done.

This is the reference Gravy posted earlier (what show is this from?)
http://www.geocities.com/TheGustyFrog/Capitulos/HiroshiEstaEnProblemas/Image27.jpg

So maybe it was due to legal issues.

Ah well, that distraction aside, the dub did a good job! It was just as enjoyable, tho kid!James' voice irked me a bit since he didn't even try XD
The weird thing is, it doesn't look like a dub edit. You wouldn't even know if you didn't see the original. His hair was like flawlessy changed yet his face remains the same.
All these to saw, despite the dub edit, it was quite the impressive shot. In fact, the only thing I remember from that guy was that he had Croagunk of his torso. Really, I had forgotten about his hair and shades.

In fact, this is a nice dub edit: it's there, yet you don't complain because it doesn't really change much. And yet, you kind of have to have seen it.

All in all, good work PUSA; you've proven you can apparently do dub edits properly now.

It is kind of a shame that he was changed, since it's not like it was a case of malicious plagarisation. It was what can only be assumed as a friendly nod to an older show. Granted, it probably wasn't the best idea to follow the design of the original character that closely, so it's perfectly understandable that someone would sound the alarm.
When you think about it, the U.S. is always paranoid about somekind of random lawsuit... not sure if this would validate it though.

Well, first of all, I really liked Crasher Wake. Man, what a impressive, muscular guy! I liked everthing on him: His stature and sportiness, his entertainer qualities and last but not least, his kindness! I'm really looking forward to seeing if he'll turn out to be a tough battler as well.
I have to say, the voice used for him worked pretty well. Gave him a big and jolly vibe to him, which is appropriate.

Brock losing it completely when seeing Nurse Joy was hilarious once again.It is always something special when he is drawn like a kitschy romantic lover with his eyes being a bit opened.:lol:
But what pleased me most was the following wedding scene where Ash was wearing a suit. Great! Ash even looks handsome in a suit! Does somebody happen to have a screenshot of this?Unfortunately I don't know how to do this.
I enjoy the caption thread, and for that I did my typical screencap for this episode. And your in luck, as I happen to have that picture (strange, for a split second, I had entirely forgotten that scene while watching it).

So your wish is my command. But please don't take that literally... you just so happened to have a request I was able to accomplish, that's all.

Then of course, Dawn's repeated remark "I can't tell them apart" and " I still can't tell them apart". You know what? I thought exactly the same :lol: After having realized this, I couldn't help laughing!
Let's not forget that Brock's Croagunk filled in that one cliche in where the hero always seems to win at things when he goes somewhere else. I'm not sure what it's actually called, but it works. Of course, Croagunk is Croagunk, he's gonna do what he's gotta do.

This episode definitely belongs to the category "Comedy". But these episode have their justification as well, because they cause the necessary cheerfulness and relaxation before important episodes with hopefully epic plots.
Comedy is one of the major reasons I've loved this show. Sure, it's as repetitive as the games can be, but the comedy (although a bit... lame at times) still manages to keep my attention.

I'm surprised Jason Griffith (Sonic's voice actor) starred in this episode, which made me quite happy.
I was shocked too (at first because apparently my "copy" had credits. Usually they don't for me.). And then shocked again when I noticed how many people were voicing, and then noticing Jason Griffith. I'm not sure, but in the 4Kids dub, did he ever voice someone?

Still, can't believe he voiced Hamilton. This one's got a lot surprises I wasn't ready for. Good ones though, I'll say that much.

- Only 9 pieces compared to the Riolu special, which kept all of it.
At least the banjos were kept. Those were necessary. Seriously, you can't have a frog festival without having banjos play. I don't know why, but it sort of... fits perfectly

The downsides
- I usually love the dub voices, but Hamilton's by Jason Griffith was abysmal, It sounds like his voice of Sonic. I hate that voice. :mad: That's one actor I was REALLY hoping PUSA would stay FAR AWAY from.
Strange, I didn't even realize he was even there until I saw the credits...

Having said that, they could have at least tried to keep the guy high up on the unique scale. I suppose it may save a bit of time, but slapping Masato's haircut onto yet another character is pretty lame. :p
I don't see the resemblance... how is that Max's haircut?

Nice episode, I've just got one question.
What is up with Wake's face? I didn't pay too much attention to it in the games
but really...is that a mask? are those his eyebrows? face paint? I can't tell.
It's a mask. When he turns his head, you can sort of see where the bands connect to the back of it.

Last thing, the music in this episode gave me the vibe that Pastoria City is a southern hick town. Lol I liked that, it really had an atmosphere all its own.
I watched the original, and for once, I'm actually glad they decided to keep it in. I dunno, something about banjos, Croagunk, and a Marsh sort of go hand in hand.

Overall, a very nice episode and one of the few that I actually watched the original version prior to this. Mainly because of Croagunk. And I'm rather glad I did!

I also found the destruction of Team Rocket's mecha to almost be a classic revival; another character takes it out, Ash and Pikachu follow up with Thunderbolt.

I found this rather amusing: Crasher Wake looking coincidentally like a wrestler, the arena that Brock and Hamilton's Croagunks fought looked like a wrestling ring. Hehe.

~C_L~

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Pretty sure JAPAN changed it to advoid a lawsuit that might've been raised, since I hear subsequent airings had it fixed.

Also, Jason Griffith sucks.

katfairy

I'll admit I found both guys' voices to be a bit annoying, but that's just me.

Also, am I the only one who watched the dance at the end and thought of What's Michael?

Cobalt_Latios

Pretty sure JAPAN changed it to advoid a lawsuit that might've been raised, since I hear subsequent airings had it fixed.
So, dub edit, or late Japan edit? This is a first, for me, where the Japanese version is later edited. Meh, not a big deal...

Also, Jason Griffith sucks.
I don't give a damn. Entertainment is entertainment; as long as I'm not bored, it's all good. Oh, and apparently, I found out that he did the voice of Sir Aaron in movie 8. I did not know that. I think he may have also voiced someone else... but it's not really that important.

~C_L~

Genome

pro-SHARK WEEK
But I'm too young for thuggin love!

I am Wake SteakFace and I will be your Gym leader today.

Damn these Pastorian trains and their scrap metal engines.

Is this The Church of Croagunk?

These Croagunk treats take me back to the jolly good days of mud pie.

I'm ready for marriage. I'm tired of all that sex anyway.

That haircut has litigation written all over it.

'Bout time the old man got promoted.

I'm putting a $20 on the Croagunk.

I MUST BREAK YOU.

Oh no. Another mech gone carni and now stuffing that craving with brethren.
Nature can be so cruel sometimes.

Who needs pokeballs? Just give me three suspenders and I'll give you TNA Impact!

Love. Every Mecha Gunk's weakness.

Hey better watch out this could lead to dancing!

Ohh speak of the devil.

7/10 An episode to slow everything down is very welcome after several months of drama. Points for the soothing new Great Marsh palette. I'm sorely disappointed this episode didn't give me one accent to work with. Spouting words like hoedown doesn't work like this!!

Last edited:

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was good. Crasher Wake’s dub voice was not what I had expected. For some reason, I expected it do be much deeper. Brock’s barging in on Hamilton and Joy’s conversation was hilarious as well as Brock’s flirting. Thought Hamilton was really annoying. The appeal of all the Croagunks was weird. Dawn’s right, they all look the same. Meowth as Croagunk was hilarious. Brock’s Croagunk breaking 10 bricks seemed impressive. Meowth breaking his arm was also hilarious. I found it a little odd that there are THAT much Croagunk scooped up by TR. Cool to see a Vacuum Wave. It was kinda funny to see Ash dance and make a fool of himself.

Brumrha

Banned
To tell you the truth, I don't really have much to say about this...

Crasher Wake sure is bloody huge; I'm surprised that he isn't a pro wrestler. Also, you need to have a trained eye in order to spot the specifics on each Croagunk, which is something that Dawn doesn't have. Finally, the fact that Nurse Joy's Croagunk has won the crown sure does qualify as a twist.

That's all I have...

While I enjoyed the episode, I was pretty shocked to see how they edited Hamilton's original design from the Japanese version into the English dub. At first, I thought PUSA did this, but then again I would be wrong because the team at Pokemon Co. edit and make the designs. Also, Mataso's haircut looks similar? I can sort of see the similarity, then again, it's probably to make him have a generic look and at least he looks better in his new version right? Also, you got to love Brock and his fantasies.

Mario-Sonic

Former NSider
Croagunk has always been pretty strange, but it's always funny to see Brock's Croagunk stop Brock's flirts when they go too far.

Y'know, I don't think PUSA changed Hamilton's appearence. I read that the japaneese animators changed it when it reran there.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
This episode was weak. The dialogue didn't make any sense. The plot was like "WTH" Not much action. This one was bad in my opinion.

Rebeccag

I wasnt too keen on Hamilton he kinda a nnoyed me
I couldnt tell them apart Dawn either hehe. Meouth dressing up as a Crogunk was quite funny and Ashs dancing at the end was funny too
Apart from that it was an okish filler bringing in Crasher Wake(Cant beileve hes so big either!) and leading up to Ashs 4th gym battle