• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Create &/or Change Anything & Everything Competitive Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Actually, there are abilities that cannot be swapped or copied ingame due to what I expect to be technical problems arising from swapping or copying. Namely Multitype and Colour Change (and possibly Zen Mode). Granted, I discovered this in Diamond when playing around with Role Play, Maybe Etherealness will be one of those that you cannot swap or copy.

Yes, but I don't think the ability described above would create enough technical problems to prevent being swapped.

Actually, at that rate, every made-up ability's creator could make the ability unswappable if he or she didn't want Pokémon that couldn't naturally get the ability to have the ability.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Actually, there are abilities that cannot be swapped or copied ingame due to what I expect to be technical problems arising from swapping or copying. Namely Multitype and Colour Change (and possibly Zen Mode). Granted, I discovered this in Diamond when playing around with Role Play, Maybe Etherealness will be one of those that you cannot swap or copy.

Colour Change can be swapped, in fact, the only abilities that can't be swapped are Illusion, Multitype, and Wonder Guard. Forecast, Zen Mode, and Flower Gift are hardcoded to only work on their respective Pokemon, however.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I haven't posted anything new here lately, so here goes:

New Move: Gut Syphon
Type: Dark / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100 / PP: 15 / Target: Single non-user / Category: Physical / Priority: 0 (Contact: No)
"The user wounds the target, healing itself for half the damage taken by the target."
- It's similar to moves like Mega Drain and Horn Leech, except instead of the target taking damage to their remaining HP, the target takes damage to their maximum HP instead.
Mechanics of maximum HP depletion can be found here.

Soperman

The One and Only
I haven't posted anything new here lately, so here goes:

New Move: Gut Syphon
Type: Dark / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100 / PP: 15 / Target: Single non-user / Category: Physical / Priority: 0 (Contact: No)
"The user wounds the target, healing itself for half the damage taken by the target."
- It's similar to moves like Mega Drain and Horn Leech, except instead of the target taking damage to their remaining HP, the target takes damage to their maximum HP instead.
Mechanics of maximum HP depletion can be found here.
It's an interesting concept, but do you mean the health is permanently added (for 3-5 turns) to your pokemon's max HP, or does it just take it away like life points from Yugioh?

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
It's an interesting concept, but do you mean the health is permanently added (for 3-5 turns) to your pokemon's max HP, or does it just take it away like life points from Yugioh?

Uh, I'm not really sure what you're asking.

If an Umbreon with Gut Syphon and 100/200 HP (200 base maximum, meaning it hasn't been infected at all) uses Gut Syphon against a Starmie with 200/200 HP and deals 50 damage to the Raticate, the Starmie's new maximum HP would be 150, and Umbreon would be restored for 25 HP (up to 125). If Starmie were to use Recover, it would only recover 75 HP, since 75 is half of 150.

If you still don't get it, I'll try explaining it a bit further with a few examples. The numbers go current/infect max/actual max, where actual max is the amount of maximum HP it regularly has.
200/200/200 is what a Pokémon with 200 HP starts with at the beginning of a battle.
150/200/200 is what that Pokémon has after taking 50 HP damage from Tackle.
150/170/200 is what that Pokémon has after taking 30 iHP damage from Gut Syphon.
140/140/200 is what that Pokémon has after taking 30 more iHP damage from Gut Syphon.
20/140/200 is what that Pokémon has after taking 120 HP damage from Hyper Beam.
90/140/200 is what that Pokémon has after using Recover once.
140/140/200 is what that Pokémon has after using Recover again.

In another scenario, a Pokémon has 200/200/200 HP and is holding a Focus Sash.
Gut Syphon depletes 30 iHP from it, leaving it with 170/170/200.
It's then damaged by Earthquake. It would get KO'd, but its Focus Sash prevents it from being KO'd. This is because it would have gone from its then-maximum HP (170, the second number of the three) to 0 HP if it weren't for the Focus Sash.

Oh yeah, if you're wondering whether or not there's a way to get that second number from 170 back up to 200, then... tough luck, I guess? o:

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Uh, I'm not really sure what you're asking.

If an Umbreon with Gut Syphon and 100/200 HP (200 base maximum, meaning it hasn't been infected at all) uses Gut Syphon against a Starmie with 200/200 HP and deals 50 damage to the Raticate, the Starmie's new maximum HP would be 150, and Umbreon would be restored for 25 HP (up to 125). If Starmie were to use Recover, it would only recover 75 HP, since 75 is half of 150.

If you still don't get it, I'll try explaining it a bit further with a few examples. The numbers go current/infect max/actual max, where actual max is the amount of maximum HP it regularly has.
200/200/200 is what a Pokémon with 200 HP starts with at the beginning of a battle.
150/200/200 is what that Pokémon has after taking 50 HP damage from Tackle.
150/170/200 is what that Pokémon has after taking 30 iHP damage from Gut Syphon.
140/140/200 is what that Pokémon has after taking 30 more iHP damage from Gut Syphon.
20/140/200 is what that Pokémon has after taking 120 HP damage from Hyper Beam.
90/140/200 is what that Pokémon has after using Recover once.
140/140/200 is what that Pokémon has after using Recover again.

In another scenario, a Pokémon has 200/200/200 HP and is holding a Focus Sash.
Gut Syphon depletes 30 iHP from it, leaving it with 170/170/200.
It's then damaged by Earthquake. It would get KO'd, but its Focus Sash prevents it from being KO'd. This is because it would have gone from its then-maximum HP (170, the second number of the three) to 0 HP if it weren't for the Focus Sash.

Oh yeah, if you're wondering whether or not there's a way to get that second number from 170 back up to 200, then... tough luck, I guess? o:

where the hell does this raticate come in?

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
Metagross learning that Gear Shift move that's exclusive to KlingKlang.
Flareon having a Physically viable moveset
Slacking able to learn Slack Off

That's all I have so far... They better happen!

Zachmac

Metagross learning that Gear Shift move that's exclusive to KlingKlang.
Flareon having a Physically viable moveset
Slacking able to learn Slack Off

That's all I have so far... They better happen!
Metagross with Gear Shift? That sounds like complete overkill to me.

As for Slaking...uh, doesn't it already get Slack Off? Do you mean Snorlax?

Orithan

Some new electric-type moves for your amusement:

Electrolysis:(150 BP, 100 Accuracy, 5/8 PP, Special, All adjacent pokemon, 0 priority, Electric type).

Flavour text: "The user draws in as much electricity from the area around it as possible and then releases it in one burst. The less HP the user has, the weaker it becomes."

In-depth effect: The move's Base Power is 1.5x the percentage of HP the user has remaining (maximum of 150 BP).

Distribution: All electric types (including Arceus while holding a Zap Plate) through the same Move Tutor that teaches Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon and Draco Meteor.

Comments: An Electric-typed Water Spout. Nuff said.

Whisker Charge (N/A BP, N/A Accuracy, 15/24 PP, Status, Self, 0 priority, Electric type).

Flavour text: "The user concentrates a large hunk of static electricity in its whiskers to raise its Special Attack and Special Defense. It also increases the power of the next electric type attack it uses."

In-depth effect: Raises the user's Special Attack and Special Defense by 1 stage. If the user uses an electric type move on the next turn, its power will be doubled.

Distribution: Pikachu line, Plusle, Minun, Barboach line (for flavour), Shinx line, Pachirisu, Emolga, Aqumattus (renamed to Oshmcattus).

Comments: Calm Mind and Charge in one. It is like Tail Glow, Quiver Dance and Shell Smash in the fact that it is a great boosting move that has very poor distribution for balancing reasons.

Volt Drain (75 BP, 100 Accuracy, 10/16 PP, Special, any adjacent pokemon, 0 priority, Electric type).

Flavour text: "The user holds the foe in place with a bolt of electricity to drain the foe's HP with. The user restores HP equal to half the amount of damage caused"

In-depth effect: Restores HP equal to half the amount of damage caused to the foe.

Distribution: Most electric types.

Comments: An electric typed Giga Drain. Electric types need reliable recovery outside of Volt Absorb.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
It would be nice if Gamefreak changed Masquerain's type to Water/ Bug like Surskit

It would be a lot more useful with a few more resistances. it could even be used to counter Scizor as long as it did not have any Flying moves in its set!

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Electrolysis:(150 BP, 100 Accuracy, 5/8 PP, Special, All adjacent pokemon, 0 priority, Electric type).
Flavour text: "The user draws in as much electricity from the area around it as possible and then releases it in one burst. The less HP the user has, the weaker it becomes."
In-depth effect: The move's Base Power is 1.5x the percentage of HP the user has remaining (maximum of 150 BP).
Distribution: All electric types (including Arceus while holding a Zap Plate) through the same Move Tutor that teaches Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon and Draco Meteor.
Comments: An Electric-typed Water Spout. Nuff said.

Whisker Charge (N/A BP, N/A Accuracy, 15/24 PP, Status, Self, 0 priority, Electric type).
Flavour text: "The user concentrates a large hunk of static electricity in its whiskers to raise its Special Attack and Special Defense. It also increases the power of the next electric type attack it uses."
In-depth effect: Raises the user's Special Attack and Special Defense by 1 stage. If the user uses an electric type move on the next turn, its power will be doubled.
Distribution: Pikachu line, Plusle, Minun, Barboach line (for flavour), Shinx line, Pachirisu, Emolga, Aqumattus (renamed to Oshmcattus).
Comments: Calm Mind and Charge in one. It is like Tail Glow, Quiver Dance and Shell Smash in the fact that it is a great boosting move that has very poor distribution for balancing reasons.

Volt Drain (75 BP, 100 Accuracy, 10/16 PP, Special, any adjacent pokemon, 0 priority, Electric type).
Flavour text: "The user holds the foe in place with a bolt of electricity to drain the foe's HP with. The user restores HP equal to half the amount of damage caused"
In-depth effect: Restores HP equal to half the amount of damage caused to the foe.
Distribution: Most electric types.
Comments: An electric typed Giga Drain. Electric types need reliable recovery outside of Volt Absorb.

Electrolysis and Volt Drain - As counterparts to Eruption and Water Spout, and Giga Drain and Horn Leech, respectively, these two are fine.

Whisker Charge - One thing I don't like about this move is that it makes the next Electric-type move used by the user of this move have triple power, and then the power of the remaining Electric-type moves it uses is dumbed down to x1.5. At that rate, it wouldn't be unwise to just make the move sharply raise Sp. Atk and raise Sp. Def, but decrease its distribution slightly more than what you have right now.

It would be nice if Gamefreak changed Masquerain's type to Water/ Bug like Surskit

It would be a lot more useful with a few more resistances. it could even be used to counter Scizor as long as it did not have any Flying moves in its set!

Sure, why not? It's not like Masquerain's Intimidate is all that useful, anyway. :/

Orithan

Whisker Charge - One thing I don't like about this move is that it makes the next Electric-type move used by the user of this move have triple power, and then the power of the remaining Electric-type moves it uses is dumbed down to x1.5. At that rate, it wouldn't be unwise to just make the move sharply raise Sp. Atk and raise Sp. Def, but decrease its distribution slightly more than what you have right now.

Alright, Changing it to +2 Special Attack and +1 Special Defense. I will also remove it from the Shinx and Oshmcattus lines, being cats rather than rodents (I'm keeping it on the Barboach line because it could use a bit of a boost).

Edit: A move that I couldn't post due to time constraints:

Triple Bolt (20 BP, 100 Accuracy, 15/24 PP, Special, Any Adjacent Pokemon, 0 priority, Electric type):

Flavour text: "The user shoots three weak thunderbolts at the foe in a quick succession. Its power increases on the third strike. Each bolt may also cause paralysis."

In-Depth effect: The user attacks the foe three times. The move's Base Power doubles on the third strike. Each strike has a 10% chance of causing paralysis.

Notable users: Hydregion, Alakazam, Togekiss, Zapdos, Porygon line, Deoxys (all forms), Mr. Mime (only pokemon with Technician that gets it), Castform, Electrivire.

Comments: A utility attack learned by many pokemon that don't get many other Electric-type moves. Togekiss now has an alternate way to hax the opponent with paralysis and/or sweep after a Nasty Plot boost. It also gets the added bonus of breaking through Substitute boost.

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
Haven't posted in a while so here I go:

New ability

Equalize
"All Pokemon move at the same speed"

-Basically, when a Pokemon with Equalize is sent out all pokemon out will have the same speed as them a.k.a speed tied. They will have the same speed even if prior to the pokemon being sent out they had a boost or a drop in their speed. This is a static ability, so it will remain that way until the pokemon with the ability is switched out or fainted. If another pokemon with Equalize as it's ability comes in while one is already out the one that was sent in is now the new speed. Keep in mind the speed that is being used is one without boosts. So if the one with the ability has even +1 in their speed they will now be faster than any Pokemon that comes in with the exception of priority moves of course.

Distribution: Klingklang line

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Triple Bolt (20 BP, 100 Accuracy, 15/24 PP, Special, Any Adjacent Pokemon, 0 priority, Electric type):
Flavour text: "The user shoots three weak thunderbolts at the foe in a quick succession. Its power increases on the third strike. Each bolt may also cause paralysis."
In-Depth effect: The user attacks the foe three times. The move's Base Power doubles on the third strike. Each strike has a 10% chance of causing paralysis.
Notable users: Hydregion, Alakazam, Togekiss, Zapdos, Porygon line, Deoxys (all forms), Mr. Mime (only pokemon with Technician that gets it), Castform, Electrivire.
Comments: A utility attack learned by many pokemon that don't get many other Electric-type moves. Togekiss now has an alternate way to hax the opponent with paralysis and/or sweep after a Nasty Plot boost. It also gets the added bonus of breaking through Substitute boost.

Essentially, this is an 80-power move with a 30%-ish chance to cause paralysis. It's alright, I guess.
I'm biased toward Togekiss, and giving Togekiss another way to induce paralysis on its foes is always a good thing. :)

Equalize
"All Pokemon move at the same speed"

-Basically, when a Pokemon with Equalize is sent out all pokemon out will have the same speed as them a.k.a speed tied. They will have the same speed even if prior to the pokemon being sent out they had a boost or a drop in their speed. This is a static ability, so it will remain that way until the pokemon with the ability is switched out or fainted. If another pokemon with Equalize as it's ability comes in while one is already out the one that was sent in is now the new speed. Keep in mind the speed that is being used is one without boosts. So if the one with the ability has even +1 in their speed they will now be faster than any Pokemon that comes in with the exception of priority moves of course.

Distribution: Klingklang line

It's potentially really confusing. Here's my interpretation:

Turn 0: Trainer A sends out Pikachu (200 Speed) and Mewtwo (300 Speed); Trainer B sends out Shedinja (100 Speed) and Tyrogue.
Turn 1: Mewtwo uses Psychic on Tyrogue, fainting it. Pikachu uses Agility (now 400). Shedinja uses Agility (now 200).
Between turn 1 and turn 2: Trainer B replaces his Tyrogue with his Klinklang with Equalize (150 Speed). Klinklang's Equalize becomes active, setting Shedinja's, Pikachu's, and Mewtwo's Speed all to 150.
Turn 2: Mewtwo does something. Shedinja does something. Klinklang uses Autotomize.

Essentially, I interpret the ability as just equalizing every Pokémon's Speed for as long as a Pokémon with Equalize is out.

To avoid weird interactions with Speed boosts and drops, I'd just make it so that no matter how much a Pokémon's Speed stat is dropped or raised, it won't actually have any effect as long as the Pokémon with Equalize is out. It'd make for a much less confusing mechanic to boot.​

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
It's potentially really confusing. Here's my interpretation:

Turn 0: Trainer A sends out Pikachu (200 Speed) and Mewtwo (300 Speed); Trainer B sends out Shedinja (100 Speed) and Tyrogue.
Turn 1: Mewtwo uses Psychic on Tyrogue, fainting it. Pikachu uses Agility (now 400). Shedinja uses Agility (now 200).
Between turn 1 and turn 2: Trainer B replaces his Tyrogue with his Klinklang with Equalize (150 Speed). Klinklang's Equalize becomes active, setting Shedinja's, Pikachu's, and Mewtwo's Speed all to 150.
Turn 2: Mewtwo does something. Shedinja does something. Klinklang uses Autotomize.

Essentially, I interpret the ability as just equalizing every Pokémon's Speed for as long as a Pokémon with Equalize is out.

To avoid weird interactions with Speed boosts and drops, I'd just make it so that no matter how much a Pokémon's Speed stat is dropped or raised, it won't actually have any effect as long as the Pokémon with Equalize is out. It'd make for a much less confusing mechanic to boot.​

Ah I see what you're saying. So make it so that every pokemon keeps that speed and it ignores stat boosts and drops before and after the Pokemon with that ability is out? Makes sense.​

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Right, some stuff

Snow Charge (Ice)
PP: 20/Power: 50/Accuracy: 100/Category: Physical/Target: Single Adjacent Foe/Priority: 0
Flavour Text: Crashes at the foe with heightened spirit. Raises attack if the attack hits.
- Attack variant, Ice type variant for Flame Charge.
- Could possibly see a Sub Snow Charge Mamoswine set going on there!

New Ability
Neutralise: Removes any status at the end of the second turn.
Turn 1: Liepard uses Thunder Wave, Porygon-Z is unable to move, Porygon-Z is paralysed!
Turn 2: Liepard uses Attract, but it failed, Porygon-Z uses Tri Attack! Porygon-Z's Ability Neutralise is activated, Porygon-Z's paralysis faded!

Distribution: Porygon line, Klinklang line, Magnemite line

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
The poison & steel type moves being super effective to a new type. yeah, I know it'll never happen but it'd be a great concept

Status
Not open for further replies.