• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Create &/or Change Anything & Everything Competitive Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Purify Song - Seems alright. It doesn't affect sound-based moves that don't deal damage, like Supersonic. If a Pokémon with Bug Buzz gets Purify Song, it'd be pretty powerful.
Dragon Call - A Dragon-type, confusing Scald. Solid move.
Cotton Spin - Given that Cotton Spin has the same distribution as Cotton Guard, I'd say that the magnitude of the Attack drop is fine.

Two Attack, Sp. Atk, and Speed boosts + Baton Pass in one move, without making the user faint, would be broken. A net +6 stat increase without a switch to a Pokémon that could abuse those stat boosts is already extremely broken. Being able to switch would make that even more broken.

The reason why Memento doesn't see much play at all is because the affected foe can just switch. I get that a Dark Linked Pokémon is much harder to get rid of, since they can't just be eliminated by the opponent switching out or anything; the foe would have to use Roar (but survive the Dark Linked Pokémon's attack, first). If Speed weren't increased, then at least the foe would still be able to faint the Dark Linked Pokémon before it goes on its tirade.

Saying that increasing offensive stats by two stages each being broken is totally fine, but to say that losing the user is meaningless isn't quite accurate. If it were meaningless, then having the user faint for some effect wouldn't be a penalty for moves like Healing Wish or Memento in the first place.

Memento is a great move, if your opponent switches, you get a free turn to set up Dragon Dance on your Haxorus and such!

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
I actually posted because I wasn't sure how much the damage would need to e brought down, so would something like 30% be better?

priority moves were meant to be weak, so unless its like a minus 70 percent, i don't think it could ever be balenced.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Memento is a great move, if your opponent switches, you get a free turn to set up Dragon Dance on your Haxorus and such!

Yeah, but it sadly still doesn't see that much play. ):

Actually, I would agree that losing the user for a benefit as huge as a +2 boost to offenses and speed would be meaningless. After all, people used to run suicide leads in 4th Gen (and occasionally now) simply to get Stealth Rock on the field. Suicide leads often just get up their hazards and then die, so their death is essentially meaningless as long as they get the job done. That would effectively be the case here, only there's no telling what else you could do with whatever Pokemon that gets that move. You might kill something, status something, do whatever damage to the opponent's team before possibly using that move late game and opening up for an easy sweep. Not to mention you aren't forced to run White Herb to prevent defense drops from being passed like with SmashPass, and you also only use up one turn instead of two.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Actually, I would agree that losing the user for a benefit as huge as a +2 boost to offenses and speed would be meaningless. After all, people used to run suicide leads in 4th Gen (and occasionally now) simply to get Stealth Rock on the field. Suicide leads often just get up their hazards and then die, so their death is essentially meaningless as long as they get the job done. That would effectively be the case here, only there's no telling what else you could do with whatever Pokemon that gets that move. You might kill something, status something, do whatever damage to the opponent's team before possibly using that move late game and opening up for an easy sweep. Not to mention you aren't forced to run White Herb to prevent defense drops from being passed like with SmashPass, and you also only use up one turn instead of two.

In terms of competitive battling and competitive battling only, yeah, a Dark Link user could be a suicide lead that lets a mixed sweeper switch in and wipe the floor with the foe's team (or do something similar with its stat boosts).

Pokémon whose primary purpose is to use Healing Wish typically don't care what the foe does to them, similar to suicide leads that use entry hazard moves, and with the penalty that Dark Link has now, there's nothing that can be done to prevent people from taking advantage of the penalty.

On another note, dropping the +2 Speed boost entirely would make using Dark Link seem less one-sided than it would otherwise be. With +2 Attack, Sp. Atk, and Speed, the recipient of Dark Link would pretty much be able to outspeed everything the opponent has and sweep them, yeah. But if the Speed boost were gotten rid of, even though the recipient does get a net +4 stat boost, the foe still at least has a chance to answer to what the Dark Link user's trainer switches out to, making the move function much more fairly.

However, dropping the +2 Speed boost makes the move strictly worse than Shell Smash, in terms of stat increases.
Dark Link: +4 net stat boost, one turn to transfer stat boosts, user faints, requires only one move
Shell Smash: +6 net stat boost, two turns to transfer stat boosts (with Baton Pass), user doesn't faint, requires two moves (Shell Smash + Baton Pass)​
Competitive battling exploits notwithstanding, the user fainting is much more of a penalty than -1 Defense and -1 Sp. Def. Requiring only one move and one turn to transfer the stat boosts, though, arguably balances out that penalty. I typically don't use Shell Smash as a move to compare other moves with, because Shell Smash is an exception to the usual +1 and +2 net stat boost moves. When creating Dark Link, though, I felt that the user fainting could warrant such a drastic increase in stats.

Regardless, my first priorities (no pun intended) with creating moves for this thread are the flavor and in-game balance. But I always try to make the moves I create as balanced for competitive battling as possible.

Two Attack, Sp. Atk, and Speed boosts + Baton Pass in one move, without making the user faint, would be broken. A net +6 stat increase without a switch to a Pokémon that could abuse those stat boosts is already extremely broken. Being able to switch would make that even more broken.

The reason why Memento doesn't see much play at all is because the affected foe can just switch. I get that a Dark Linked Pokémon is much harder to get rid of, since they can't just be eliminated by the opponent switching out or anything; the foe would have to use Roar (but survive the Dark Linked Pokémon's attack, first). If Speed weren't increased, then at least the foe would still be able to faint the Dark Linked Pokémon before it goes on its tirade.

Saying that increasing offensive stats by two stages each being broken is totally fine, but to say that losing the user is meaningless isn't quite accurate. If it were meaningless, then having the user faint for some effect wouldn't be a penalty for moves like Healing Wish or Memento in the first place.

Memento has nothing to do with this. Memento is a child's toy compared to Dark Link.

First off you get your stat boosts but with none of the -1 defenses that Shell Smash has.

Second of all you can pass those boosts in ONE turn. Shell Smash passing requires the passer to survive two turns which is very difficult when something like Choice Scarf Rotom switches in. Shell Smash is possible to handle because it gives you a turn to switch and counter it.

Ok so say Dark Link wielding Pokemon switches in.

Now the opponent switches to a counter (or just attacks, who cares really).
Your Pokemon explodes and uses Dark Link.

You get a free switch to anything on your team to get to +2/+2/+2.

Now you are able to completely **** up your opponent. Who cares if they have Roar on their team, your +2 Pokemon will eradicate it in one hit.

Seriously just slap a Focus Sash on a Pokemon with Dark Link and lead with it. You really can't go wrong with what is effectively an instant Shell Smash + White Herb + Baton Pass with one move. I don't care if the user faints, I guarantee after a Gorebyss successfully Baton passes a Shell Smash its survival is no longer important.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Memento has nothing to do with this. Memento is a child's toy compared to Dark Link.

Memento is one of the three other moves that has a penalty of making the user faint that don't deal damage to the foe. Since Dark Link is also a move that makes the user faint and doesn't deal damage to the foe either, it makes sense to compare it to Memento.

First off you get your stat boosts but with none of the -1 defenses that Shell Smash has.

Second of all you can pass those boosts in ONE turn. Shell Smash passing requires the passer to survive two turns which is very difficult when something like Choice Scarf Rotom switches in. Shell Smash is possible to handle because it gives you a turn to switch and counter it.

Ok so say Dark Link wielding Pokemon switches in.

Now the opponent switches to a counter (or just attacks, who cares really).
Your Pokemon explodes and uses Dark Link.

You get a free switch to anything on your team to get to +2/+2/+2.

Now you are able to completely **** up your opponent. Who cares if they have Roar on their team, your +2 Pokemon will eradicate it in one hit.

Fair enough. I'm open to removing the Speed boost from Dark Link so that the recipient won't pretty much always outspeed the foe. Most of what's making Dark Link broken is because of the Speed making the recipient able to outspeed the foe and preventing them from pretty much doing anything.

Seriously just slap a Focus Sash on a Pokemon with Dark Link and lead with it. You really can't go wrong with what is effectively an instant Shell Smash + White Herb + Baton Pass with one move. I don't care if the user faints, I guarantee after a Gorebyss successfully Baton passes a Shell Smash its survival is no longer important.

Dark Link is a self-induced faint, meaning it won't work with Focus Sash.

Memento is one of the three other moves that has a penalty of making the user faint that don't deal damage to the foe. Since Dark Link is also a move that makes the user faint and doesn't deal damage to the foe either, it makes sense to compare it to Memento.

It's similar because they both have the user faint but they have completely different effects. That's like comparing Ice Beam and Solarbeam because they both do damage and have beam in the name.

Fair enough. I'm open to removing the Speed boost from Dark Link so that the recipient won't pretty much always outspeed the foe. Most of what's making Dark Link broken is because of the Speed making the recipient able to outspeed the foe and preventing them from pretty much doing anything.

Removing the speed boost might help, but it's still stupidly dangerous. Pass to an Extremespeed Dragonite or something and the speed won't even matter.

Dark Link is a self-induced faint, meaning it won't work with Focus Sash.

I know. The point is that Focus Sash would guarantee you live long enough to Dark Link.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
It's similar because they both have the user faint but they have completely different effects. That's like comparing Ice Beam and Solarbeam because they both do damage and have beam in the name.

Since both Memento and Dark Link have the same penalty, I figured that the benefit of Memento and the benefit of Dark Link would have to be the same. +6 net stat boost clearly doesn't equal -4 net stat boost in terms of the benefit of the move.

Removing the speed boost might help, but it's still stupidly dangerous. Pass to an Extremespeed Dragonite or something and the speed won't even matter.

I'm curious. What would you change about the move to make it more balanced yet retain some sort of competitive viability? It has to make the Pokémon faint as well as increase offensive stats, but not be strictly outclassed by another move due to the self-induced faint penalty.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
No posts for a while. It's time for a creation!

Explosion Claw (JP Explosion Claw ばくはつとぎ) FIRE
PP: 15/Power: 90/Accuracy: 95/Category: Special/Priority: 0/Target: Every pokemon on the field
The user launches a ball of fire and scratches it at the same time, causing it to explode. It may flinch the opponent (20%)

Fury Scratch (JP Rampage Scratch だいあばれスクラッチ) NORMAL
PP: 10/Power: 120/Accuracy: 100/Category: Physical/Priority: 0/Target: Normal
The user charges for one turn, then launches a wild stampede of scratches at the foe. If Hone Claws was used in the battle, this attack's set up turn will be neglected.

Spirit Split (JP Split スプリット) PSYCHIC
PP: 10/Power: --/Accuracy: 100/Category: Status/Priority: 0/Target: Self
The user makes a copy of itself that will cause attacks to hit twice, but halved in damage for five turns.

Here's a plausible Explanation
Turn One Emboar uses Flamethrower, Espeon uses Spirit Split Turn ends
Turn Two Emboar uses Subsitute, Espeon uses Psychic. Emboar's Subsitute was broken! Espeon's copy used Psychic. It's super effective!

The split's copy of the attack is affected by STAB and type bonus :3

Item
Magic Doll (JP Magic Toy まほおもちゃ
Increases Spirit's Split Duration by 2 turns.

Yellow De Viridian Grove

Synchronoise:
Current: Using an odd shock wave, the user inflicts damage on any Pokémon of the same type in the area around it.
New: Using an odd shock wave, the user inflicts damage on Pokemon in the area around it. Deals double damage if the foe(s) are the same type as the user.

I want this move to be useful (somewhat).

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Why am I thinking of the Legend of Zelda while reading these posts?

Anyways, I've been using Genesect recently and it's awesome! Sadly it's signature move is underwhelming.
Techno Blast
type: [img139]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/type/normal.gif[/img139]
power: 120
PP: 5
side effect: the type and 10% side effect are dependant on the Plate the user is holding

Draco Plate: the move now has an increased critical hit ratio

Dread Plate: chance of ridding the target of their item

Earth Plate: chance of lowering accuracy one stage

Fist Plate: chance of lowering special defence one stage

Flame Plate: chance of burn

Icicle Plate: chance of freeze

Insect Plate: chance of poison

Iron Plate: chance of lowering special attack one stage

Meadow Plate: chance of sleep

Mind Plate: chance of confusion

Sky Plate: chance of lowering evasion one stage

Splash Plate: chance of lowering attack one stage

Spooky Plate: chance of lowering speed one stage

Stone Plate: chance of flinching

Toxic Plate: chance of bad poison

Zap Plate: chance of paralysis

...or something like that. Did we really need the drives when the plates were fully accessible? Nonetheless, I love Choice Scarf Genesect and I doubt that I would swap it out even if Techno Blast got such an upgrade.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Why am I thinking of the Legend of Zelda while reading these posts?

Anyways, I've been using Genesect recently and it's awesome! Sadly it's signature move is underwhelming.
Techno Blast
type: [img139]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/type/normal.gif[/img139]
power: 120
PP: 5
side effect: the type and 10% side effect are dependant on the Plate the user is holding

Draco Plate: the move now has an increased critical hit ratio

Dread Plate: chance of ridding the target of their item

Earth Plate: chance of lowering accuracy one stage

Fist Plate: chance of lowering special defence one stage

Flame Plate: chance of burn

Icicle Plate: chance of freeze

Insect Plate: chance of poison

Iron Plate: chance of lowering special attack one stage

Meadow Plate: chance of sleep

Mind Plate: chance of confusion

Sky Plate: chance of lowering special attack one stage

Splash Plate: chance of lowering attack one stage

Spooky Plate: chance of lowering speed one stage

Stone Plate: chance of flinching

Toxic Plate: chance of bad poison

Zap Plate: chance of paralysis

...or something like that. Did we really need the drives when the plates were fully accessible? Nonetheless, I love Choice Scarf Genesect and I doubt that I would swap it out even if Techno Blast got such an upgrade.

Yeah, the drives were a waste when 3 out of the four drives were outclassed by its stronger counterparts ( Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt), I like these upgrades! I forgot which was stronger Douse Techno Blast or HP Water?

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
seems a little bit much. but what do i know?

give black kyurem superpower. and/or ice punch. gf has nothing but hate for him.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Yeah, the drives were a waste when 3 out of the four drives were outclassed by its stronger counterparts ( Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt), I like these upgrades! I forgot which was stronger Douse Techno Blast or HP Water?
Thanks. Techno Blast has 15 more base power than Hidden Power and in the end, that at the cost of your item slot isn't worth it.

seems a little bit much. but what do i know?
Well, now I know your opinion on Arceus' ability.

Just realized while rereading my post, I put special attack drop for both steel and flying.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
its okay for arceus, because he was made with the plates in mind, but genesect was designed to work with the drives. not that he meshes well with them when he could do scarf though.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
No posts for a while. It's time for a creation!

Explosion Claw (JP Explosion Claw ばくはつとぎ) FIRE
PP: 15/Power: 90/Accuracy: 95/Category: Special/Priority: 0/Target: Every pokemon on the field
The user launches a ball of fire and scratches it at the same time, causing it to explode. It may flinch the opponent (20%)

Fury Scratch (JP Rampage Scratch だいあばれスクラッチ) NORMAL
PP: 10/Power: 120/Accuracy: 100/Category: Physical/Priority: 0/Target: Normal
The user charges for one turn, then launches a wild stampede of scratches at the foe. If Hone Claws was used in the battle, this attack's set up turn will be neglected.

Spirit Split (JP Split スプリット) PSYCHIC
PP: 10/Power: --/Accuracy: 100/Category: Status/Priority: 0/Target: Self
The user makes a copy of itself that will cause attacks to hit twice, but halved in damage for five turns.

Here's a plausible Explanation
Turn One Emboar uses Flamethrower, Espeon uses Spirit Split Turn ends
Turn Two Emboar uses Subsitute, Espeon uses Psychic. Emboar's Subsitute was broken! Espeon's copy used Psychic. It's super effective!

The split's copy of the attack is affected by STAB and type bonus :3

Item
Magic Doll (JP Magic Toy まほおもちゃ
Increases Spirit's Split Duration by 2 turns.

Explosion Claw - The flinch chance seems too high for its power and accuracy. I'd personally either decrease the power or the flinch chance.
Fury Scratch - Seems alright. Needing to use Hone Claws to reap full benefit is like using Defense Curl before using Rollout. By the way, ten characters is way too much for the Japanese name of a move.
Spirit Split - So it basically doubles everything that's done by the user. If Espeon uses Nasty Plot, both Espeon and its copy will get the +2 Sp. Atk. But what about when they converge back after five turns? And what happens if Espeon faints? What happens to the copy?

Synchronoise:
Current: Using an odd shock wave, the user inflicts damage on any Pokémon of the same type in the area around it.
New: Using an odd shock wave, the user inflicts damage on Pokemon in the area around it. Deals double damage if the foe(s) are the same type as the user.

I want this move to be useful (somewhat).

Synchronoise - It'd give Umbreon a use for the move, perhaps to (very inefficiently) defeat Fighting-types.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Just thought...Multiscale Milotic

It'd be better than Cute Charm as a DW ability and with her access to Recover could be a big pain in the phanpy

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Just thought...Multiscale Milotic

It'd be better than Cute Charm as a DW ability and with her access to Recover could be a big pain in the phanpy

When I first played Black and White, I thought Milotic did have Multiscale as a DW ability. I thought wrong...

Speaking of which, I'd have it have Multiscale as a "toggle ability" for Marvel Scale. :)

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
2 New Abilities and 1 new move!!!!!

Hit and Run
"Returns after attacking"

-If the Pokemon is the last one then it will not be switched. Also, you do not have a choice in whether you want to switch, if you attack you are switched and that's that.

Example:
Turn 0: Trainer 1 sends out Archeops, Trainer 2 sent out Rapidash, Turn End.
Turn 1: Archeops used Rock Slide, Archeops returns because of Hit and Run, Trainer 1 sent out Granbull, Rapidash used Ember on Granbull, Turn End.

New Move: Quick Strike

Type:
NormalIC_Big.png
/ Power: 55 / Accuracy: 95% / PP: 10 / Target: Single Adjacent Pokemon / Category:
physical.png
/ Priority: +5
"The user quickly attacks the target then retreats. It switches places with a party Pokémon in waiting. It is sure to strike first."

- So basically a move version of my ability Hit-and-Run

Cautious
"Unaffected by entry hazards"

-This includes Stealth Rocks, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.