• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Create &/or Change Anything & Everything Competitive Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachmac

Water Barrier - So does it defend against the first move of any type used against the Pokémon with Water Barrier, or does it defend against the first move of each type that the Pokémon with Water Barrier is weak against? The former makes it much like the Type Bits that I mentioned before in this thread (search for them if you'd like), but the latter would be extremely broken.
Only against the types this pokemon is weak to. Again, it's not really that broken if you consider that it's a mantine. While being immune to one electric attack will definitely help, there is still no way it'll be walling a pokemon with an electric attack, with or without the ability.

And if stealth rock is on the field, rock attacks will still do their regular damage as well. But if it really makes everyone feel better, I can say that it also halves attack and special attack....

Edit: Yeah, it is like those items, but only for it's weaknesses. Type bits are broken because they can work on any pokemon, though. This is only on Mantine, and really, in OU, I don't think it'll be broken. Anything with an electric attack will beat it anyway.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
@Wishing Star

Well,
EQ hits nuetral damage on every types except Bug and Grass, and does not hit Flying/Levitate users.
Clatter hits nuetral damage on every types except Rock and Steel, and does not hit Ghost. Clatter also has 10 less PP *gasps*.

So I think it's pretty fair for Clatter to stay the way it is...

Also, stuff that gets affected by Rush: Flame Charge, Wild Charge and Rampage. Just three attacks, thus for the high boost. So there ya go~!

And uhh I think Spirit Split is quite usable. Since it breaks subsitute and actually screws up Subpunch sets... :D

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
All responses in spoilers.

Hit and Run - It's extremely broken on sweepers. Since almost every Pokémon that would be using this move would be a sweeper anyway, the ability is extremely easily abusable.

Quick Strike - +5 priority makes it faster than Protect. That alone should make it have very, very low power. Offering a free switch for the user makes it pretty potent, too.

Cautious - This is alright. It's outclassed by Magic Guard in every way, but it's a nice alternative for those that don't have access to it.

This is why I was asking whether or not making it so they switch at the end rather after an attack would make it less broken but no one seems to answer.

As for Quick Strike, it does have a low power heck Volt Switch and U-Turn have higher power and U-Turn has a pretty good distribution. and I will make the priority +2 instead.

TheMarshlands

Infiltrator should also bypass substitute c:

And humm... maybe we could have itens that increses the duration of Trick Room/Magic Room/Wonder Room

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Infiltrator should also bypass substitute c:

And humm... maybe we could have itens that increses the duration of Trick Room/Magic Room/Wonder Room

Infiltrator does need a better upgrade

About Trick Room and friends, I was thinking of an item that increases the duration of turns as well like Damp Rock since Gravity needs more use

TheMarshlands

Yeah, gravity is pretty underestimated... if that's the right word :V (english isn't my native language xC)

TheMarshlands

Oh, and back to the freeze status ailment talk, maybe it could be changed to a 50% chance of getting free of the status.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Only against the types this pokemon is weak to. Again, it's not really that broken if you consider that it's a mantine. While being immune to one electric attack will definitely help, there is still no way it'll be walling a pokemon with an electric attack, with or without the ability.

And if stealth rock is on the field, rock attacks will still do their regular damage as well. But if it really makes everyone feel better, I can say that it also halves attack and special attack....

Edit: Yeah, it is like those items, but only for it's weaknesses. Type bits are broken because they can work on any pokemon, though. This is only on Mantine, and really, in OU, I don't think it'll be broken. Anything with an electric attack will beat it anyway.

When determining brokenness, the ability itself is considered, not any Pokémon that would get that ability. On a Solrock, for example (via Skill Swap or something), it would prevent the damage from the first Grass-, Water-, Dark-, and Ghost-type move that it would get hit by, which would make the ability pretty broken.

The classic example that I always use to determine whether or not a move is broken is a Grass-type move that gives +6 Attack that only Sunkern would get. Just because Sunkern would get it doesn't mean it's not broken; rather, the move itself is extremely broken solely because it gives a +6 net stat boost.

@Wishing Star Catch Claw is to allow you to try and hurt something like Genesect who would hurt you with U-Turn!

So does the Catch Claw trigger upon the U-Turner attempting to switch out, or does it trigger upon the U-Turner trying to inflict damage onto the Catch Claw holder?

@Wishing Star

Well,
EQ hits nuetral damage on every types except Bug and Grass, and does not hit Flying/Levitate users.
Clatter hits nuetral damage on every types except Rock and Steel, and does not hit Ghost. Clatter also has 10 less PP *gasps*.

So I think it's pretty fair for Clatter to stay the way it is...

I'd personally make Clatter have the same PP as Earthquake then, and have it only hit adjacent Pokémon.

Oh, and back to the freeze status ailment talk, maybe it could be changed to a 50% chance of getting free of the status.

For no move to be able to inflict freeze 100% of the time upon successfully hitting the foe, changing the chance that a Pokémon will thaw out from 20% to 50% seems pretty bad in terms of the viability of the freeze status.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Oh yeah, foregoing the jp name since it's too much work! xD

New Stuff!

Attack:

Dragging Mud (Ground)
PP: 20/Power: --/Accuracy: 100/Category: Status/Priority: 0/Target: All opponent's Pokemon
The user causes the foe's field to become muddy, preventing the foe from switching from fainting.

- Does not work with Levitate and Flying type pokemon.
- Foe cannot be returned with U-Turn, Volt Switch or Baton Pass.

Dark Shock (Dark)
PP: 5/Power: 100/Accuracy: 100/Category: Special/Priority: 0/Target: Everybody in the field, including user
The user releases a dark ball of energy that shocks the entire field, including the user. There is a 10% chance to paralyse.

- Dark type, excluding the user, will absorb this attack and absorb 10% hp from this attack, but will still be prone to paralysis chance.
- This attack will hit the user as a dark type move.
- Distribution: Special Based Ghost types and Special Based Dark types, some.

Abilities:
Air Current: All usage of items, including the user, will be disabled.
- Reason: Mainly to counter Guts user.

Transverse: When hit by a physical attack, there is a chance that the priority will swap for 5 turns.
- Scenario:
Turn 0: MissingNo (Transverse) is sent out. Scizor is sent out.
Turn 1: Scizor uses Bullet Punch, MissingNo held on using Focus Sash, MissingNo's Transverse ability is activated. MissingNo uses Fire Blast, but it missed.
Turn 2: MissingNo uses Fire Punch, Scizor held on using Focus Sash, Scizor uses Bullet Punch, MissingNo fainted.

Also works with Non-priority pokemon, and can sometimes even turn a tide in the enemy's favour! And it remains after the user fainted
Turn 0: MissingNo (Transverse) is sent out. Regirock is sent out.
Turn 1: MissingNo uses Earthquake, Regirock hang on using Sturdy, Regirock uses Fire Punch. MissingNo's Transverse ability is activated.
Turn 2: Regirock uses Rock Slide, MissingNo flinched!
Turn 3: Regirock uses Stone Edge, MissingNo fainted!
Turn 4.0: Scizor is sent out!
Turn 4: Regirock uses Fire Punch, Scizor hang on using Focus Sash, Scizor uses Bullet Punch!

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
When determining brokenness, the ability itself is considered, not any Pokémon that would get that ability. On a Solrock, for example (via Skill Swap or something), it would prevent the damage from the first Grass-, Water-, Dark-, and Ghost-type move that it would get hit by, which would make the ability pretty broken.

The classic example that I always use to determine whether or not a move is broken is a Grass-type move that gives +6 Attack that only Sunkern would get. Just because Sunkern would get it doesn't mean it's not broken; rather, the move itself is extremely broken solely because it gives a +6 net stat boost.

Actually the distribution plays a big role in whether a move is broken or not because no matter how powerful the move is itself, if the Pokemon that gets it does not have the stats to back it up then its really nothing to be concerned about and it's pretty much useless.

New Ability!

Power Reserve
"Moves require no charging"

-This includes Razor Wind, Solar Beam, Sky Attack, and Skull Bash(don't know if I missed one). This however does not include Two turn moves that cause the user to leave the field such as Fly, Dig, Dive and Shadow Force.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
@Wishing Star lets say Genesect wants to U-Turn your Heatran out, using the move Catch Claw activates and prevents it from switching out, thus letting Heatran kill it with Fire Blast! And it's a one use item too!

So does it prevent the damage that the U-Turn would do or not? Nitpicky, but whether or not it does is often critical (no pun intended).

Oh yeah, foregoing the jp name since it's too much work! xD

New Stuff!

Attack:

Dragging Mud (Ground)
PP: 20/Power: --/Accuracy: 100/Category: Status/Priority: 0/Target: All opponent's Pokemon
The user causes the foe's field to become muddy, preventing the foe from switching from fainting.

- Does not work with Levitate and Flying type pokemon.
- Foe cannot be returned with U-Turn, Volt Switch or Baton Pass.

Dark Shock (Dark)
PP: 5/Power: 100/Accuracy: 100/Category: Special/Priority: 0/Target: Everybody in the field, including user
The user releases a dark ball of energy that shocks the entire field, including the user. There is a 10% chance to paralyse.

- Dark type, excluding the user, will absorb this attack and absorb 10% hp from this attack, but will still be prone to paralysis chance.
- This attack will hit the user as a dark type move.
- Distribution: Special Based Ghost types and Special Based Dark types, some.

Abilities:
Air Current: All usage of items, including the user, will be disabled.
- Reason: Mainly to counter Guts user.

Transverse: When hit by a physical attack, there is a chance that the priority will swap for 5 turns.
- Scenario:
Turn 0: MissingNo (Transverse) is sent out. Scizor is sent out.
Turn 1: Scizor uses Bullet Punch, MissingNo held on using Focus Sash, MissingNo's Transverse ability is activated. MissingNo uses Fire Blast, but it missed.
Turn 2: MissingNo uses Fire Punch, Scizor held on using Focus Sash, Scizor uses Bullet Punch, MissingNo fainted.

Also works with Non-priority pokemon, and can sometimes even turn a tide in the enemy's favour! And it remains after the user fainted
Turn 0: MissingNo (Transverse) is sent out. Regirock is sent out.
Turn 1: MissingNo uses Earthquake, Regirock hang on using Sturdy, Regirock uses Fire Punch. MissingNo's Transverse ability is activated.
Turn 2: Regirock uses Rock Slide, MissingNo flinched!
Turn 3: Regirock uses Stone Edge, MissingNo fainted!
Turn 4.0: Scizor is sent out!
Turn 4: Regirock uses Fire Punch, Scizor hang on using Focus Sash, Scizor uses Bullet Punch!

Dragging Mud - Uh... what? So a Pokémon that faints just stays there? I don't get this move at all.
Dark Shock - Seems pretty powerful. It's Earthquake with the removed adjacents-only targeting restriction, plus a 10% paralysis rate. I don't think having the move hit the user is enough penalty.
Transverse - This would defeat the purpose of having priority moves in the game. :/

Actually the distribution plays a big role in whether a move is broken or not because no matter how powerful the move is itself, if the Pokemon that gets it does not have the stats to back it up then its really nothing to be concerned about and it's pretty much useless.

The distribution plays a significant role in determining whether the mechanic + Pokémon combination would be broken. It doesn't determine whether or not the move itself is broken. Giving Sunkern a move that gives +6 Attack to its user, for example, would never happen, since the move that it would get is objectively broken.

In other words, when creating a move or ability, the mechanic alone should be considered to be not broken before the Pokémon that would receive the move or ability is considered. Considering the move or ability alongside the Pokémon that would get that ability would mean that Sunkern would be able to get that horrendously broken move, whereas considering the move first and then the Pokémon would mean that it wouldn't.

New Ability!

Power Reserve
"Moves require no charging"

-This includes Razor Wind, Solar Beam, Sky Attack, and Skull Bash(don't know if I missed one). This however does not include Two turn moves that cause the user to leave the field such as Fly, Dig, Dive and Shadow Force.

So this causes moves that don't cause the user to be semi-invulnerable for a turn to not have to charge? Seems pretty good on a Solarbeam abuser, if you ask me, which is good. :)

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
New Move:

Grenade Tag
Fighting
Physical
power 200
accuracy --
pp 10
in 1 turn, the opponent wil take the damage from the attack. deals double damge to those who resist it because its a grenade and i dont beleive poison or psuchics should be exempt from exploding as good. and fire or steel were to bad to fit the move, as they'd affect ghosts.

like doom desire or future sight. oh, and adjacent pokemon also take half the damage that they would've if targeted by the attack.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
not at the moment. and before we go saying how op it is, its effects are negated if the foe switches out.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Balance evasion and make both sides of this hell happy!

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
New Move:

Grenade Tag
Fighting
Physical
power 200
accuracy --
pp 10
in 1 turn, the opponent wil take the damage from the attack. deals double damge to those who resist it because its a grenade and i dont beleive poison or psuchics should be exempt from exploding as good. and fire or steel were to bad to fit the move, as they'd affect ghosts.

like doom desire or future sight. oh, and adjacent pokemon also take half the damage that they would've if targeted by the attack.

Doom Desire and Future Sight take two turns to set up and have significantly less base power. Also, having "--" accuracy would mean that this move cannot miss if it would hit the foe, unlike Future Sight or Doom Desire.

Having said that, the base power would have to change... a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.