• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Create/Rename/Change Anything and Everything

?

• ?

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • ?

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters

Ditto B1tch

Interesting idea. But I think it'd make a better internet sensation than game theme, mainly because fans would get mad if you change the formula after 17 years.
It's not a change. As it's said in CAPs in the title of the thread, just some gyms would be based on theme instead on type.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
It might be interesting as part of a post-game content, such as the Medal system or a rule in one of the Battle Frontier facility

I agree. The PKMN they specialized with could be their theme in a post-game rematch.

In Black 2, for example, Marlon could have a Jellyfish team. Jellicent, Tentacruel, Octorok (sorta...)

EDIT:

Interesting idea. But I think it'd make a better internet sensation than game theme, mainly because fans would get mad if you change the formula after 17 years.

Fans aren't mad that the style is now 3D and is on the 3DS though it wasn't for a while. They aren't mad that there are no more sprites (or so it seems). Why would they be angry about this?

Nimpe88

It would be cooler if they were based on strategies. Things like evasion, protect stalling, stat boosts, double/triple battles, ect. This would promote people thinking outside the box to beat them (getting moves that never miss, feint, follow me, ect). Elite four could be the four different weather effects.

StrayPup

Always Lost
I think this would be a really fun idea.
Or maybe color based, but they try to have a balanced team in that color?
So you fight the red gym and it has all pokemon with the color red on them, and so on.
Which would be more like the Halloween idea said above, just different category.
Having it after you beat the E4 would be nice.

ysmr97

I 100% agree! I have been a pokemon fan through thick and thin, and i would be OUTRAGED if they changed the classic pokemon formula!!!

Zubeon

I don't mind the idea, and it's never really been all type after all (Blaine's Rhydon, anyone?). I never played Emerald (was happy with Sapphire) so I missed out on the whole Battle Frontier thing, but from what I understand of it it might be a better fit than pre-league Gyms.

I've often thought that there should be more than 8 Gyms in a region, you just need any 8 badges to qualify (the way it apparently works in the anime). You could keep the 8 type-based Gyms as tradition and add some of these theme Gyms in the formerly empty cities. By making them optional the conservatives will have less to complain about.

PokemonTrainerKaden

It's not a bad idea, but I feel that if this happened, it wouldn't be the same as the Pokemon we have now. Gym's have been dedicated to types since the very first gym 16 years ago.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think a good compromise would be if the themes they picked were tied to specific elements, like environmental themes. For instance, you could have a factory theme that uses Fire, Electric, Poison, and Steel types. That way, you'd get the same variety, but some sense of predictability.

It would be cooler if they were based on strategies. Things like evasion, protect stalling, stat boosts, double/triple battles, ect. This would promote people thinking outside the box to beat them (getting moves that never miss, feint, follow me, ect). Elite four could be the four different weather effects.

I'd like to see this too, but I think that would be unlikely.

telivisionhead

Yea. That would be great for the elite four! BECAUSE THEY'D BE EASYer... :D

The Musician

Heracross trainer

I 100% agree! I have been a pokemon fan through thick and thin, and i would be OUTRAGED if they changed the classic pokemon formula!!!

Wow I can't let these ones slide... So you must be dissatisfied with every new implementation and change they make in each generation? You must only play Red and Blue versions?

I'm a fan and I wouldn't get mad. I would love a creative and fresh new spin on things... you know, so we're not stuck with the same thing for 17 years...

PokemonTrainerKaden

Wow I can't let these ones slide... So you must be dissatisfied with every new implementation and change they make in each generation? You must only play Red and Blue versions?

I'm a fan and I wouldn't get mad. I would love a creative and fresh new spin on things... you know, so we're not stuck with the same thing for 17 years...

I agree with you to an extent. I wouldn't get mad, I would like new implementations, but at the same time, not anything having to do with the gyms. The way that the Pokemon League functions is a good formula that shouldn't be tampered with. It's one of the things that makes the games classics.

Cutty

Forever now
I thought the current gyms already had certain themes related to their badges like Coal, Forest, Mine, Jet, Legend, etc...

Blue from G/S/C/HG/SS was the only gym leader who wasn't entirely tied to one type.

Anyway, it would make it more challenging and not just the simple goal of "train pokemon that are SE on hard gym leader"

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
Blue from G/S/C/HG/SS was the only gym leader who wasn't entirely tied to one type.

Anyway, it would make it more challenging and not just the simple goal of "train pokemon that are SE on hard gym leader"

That's what I loved about Blue. Beating him was a pain but when you finally beat him it makes it that much more rewarding, knowing you really had to work to that gym badge.

Poetry

Dancing Mad

Even if this idea is implemented, you'll still be playing the same game with the same formula as introduced in Gen I... Get starter, defeat gyms, collect badges, defeat E4, fight Champion, etc. There are much better ways to change the formula than remove type-specific gyms, not to mention that there are slightly more pressing matters than this regarding the general formula of Pokemon in any case anyway.

the ash man83

Avid TCG Fan
I think that this is a good idea, but I wouldn't implement it in abundance. Maybe two or three per region out of the eight would work well. I'd like to see a Safari theme, pokémon that are based off animals you would usually see on safari, e.g. Zebstrika, Arcanine, Girafarig.

Zubeon

RBG
Sabrina - Venomoth (Bug/Poison)

Yellow
Giovanni - Persian (Normal)

G/S
Pryce - Seel (Water)

FR/LG
Sabrina - Venomoth (Bug/Poison)

D/P
Candice - Medicham (Fighting/Psychic)
Volkner - Octillery (water); Ambipom (Normal)

HG/SS
Pryce - Seel (Water)
Clair - Gyarados (Water/Flying)

Not to mention the almost farcical disregard for type specialty in the various Elite Four.

The point is, any absolutism was violated before it even existed.

Ausgirl

The Pokemon games have always had gyms for different types, so that's unlikely to change. Nor do I actually want it to change. The gyms aren't meant to be difficult, becuase they are there to get people to learn about the different typings and so that younger players, mainly eight-year-old's can easilly beat the game.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Yeah, I'd like to see an Ash-themed gym. The Gym leader would be like this(it would be good for the challenge mode or something):

Sceptile (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Unburden
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Focus Blast

Donphan (M) @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Staraptor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Reckless
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Return
- U-turn

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge

Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Night Slash

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Trait: Static
- Volt Tackle
- Thunderbolt
- Iron Tail
- ExtremeSpeed

This would be decent. I guess Ash's team is the only team based on an anime character that can actually do something in battles.
No healing items, too, so that Sceptile and Donphan can fire one more attack before they go down.

Last edited: