• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Creative/Underrated Sets - No Terrible Gimmicks

McDanger

OU is defined by standard sets. We see a Landorus Therian and assume its either a choice scarf revenger or a offensive pivot. However, people can make use of creative or underrated sets to gain an advantage in a match, turning normal answers into set up baits or useless in front of them. This thread is devoted to discussing underrated pokemon, their sets, as well as creative sets for common pokemon.

What is a Good Creative Set
- The set pulls off a role without being outclassed by another pokemon. It is very important to know the difference between competition and outclassed.

- Takes advantage of current trends in the metagame

- It is successful. You may post calculations or replays to prove it, but make sure they are reasonable

What is a Good Underrated Set
- A less common, yet effective set ex. Bulky Charizard x vs Standard Charizard X

- Takes advantage of key points and trends in the metagame

- These sets are generally able to beat their normal answers ex Mixed Mega Garchomp easily beats answers for Swords Dance Mega Garchomp

Any crappy gimmacks will be deleted and infracted

What constitutes a crappy gimmack
- Using something that has no business in OU for the sack of using it in OU ex Zwelious

- Moves sets that are inferior to current movesets as well as horrible outclassed by other pokemon

- No ubers

Basically none of this

Specs Blissey:

Blissey (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure (or Serene Grace for 60% paralyze, 20% burn, 20% freeze)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard

For a special wall, Blissey hits surprisingly hard, reaching a special attack stat of 410 after all is added up. The movepool is to ensure that blissey hits as hard as possible, but some moves can be swapped out if they must (ice beam for blizzard, thunderbolt for thunder, etc.). This combination hits 10 out of 18 types super effectively. This set also makes a very good special tank and will catch many things like ferrothorn off guard.

Last edited:

Nulava

Banned
Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
~Ice Shard
~Earthquake
~Seed Bomb / Wood Hammer
~Protect

The big idea is to come in on something and set up your disadvantegous weather and scout for their super effective moves with Protect while harming for a miniscule bit of their HP with hail. After seeing their response proceed to attack with powerful stab moves (Ice Shard, Seed Bomb / Wood Hammer), or switch to a counter. The crucial part is, that with the mega stone you can protect and rack up passive damage as well as switch attacks, which wasn't possible with his previous choice builds. His bulk is also quite nice if he doesn't fall prey to his massive amounts of weaknesses. But as mentioned, this is where protect comes into play.

Special thanks to Smogon University.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
After playing around with him a bit, I honestly think Mixed is the way to go. I'll post a set later, I forgot the EV spread and I don't have it saved on this computer.

Nulava

Banned
After playing around with him a bit, I honestly think Mixed is the way to go. I'll post a set later, I forgot the EV spread and I don't have it saved on this computer.

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Nature: Brave
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
IVs: 0 Spe
~Blizzard
~Earthquake / Focus Punch
~Giga Drain / Wood Hammer
~Ice Shard

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Nature: Brave
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
IVs: 0 Spe
~Blizzard
~Earthquake / Focus Punch
~Giga Drain / Wood Hammer
~Ice Shard

It was similar to that but the EV spread was different. I seem to remember it being EV'd in Sp. Def to survive something important but I can't remember what.

I'll dig the set up later.

Amaan

Banned
Mega Heracross is actually quite good. Bullet seed one hits Azumarill and Pinmissle hits everyone hard. Hes just oushadowed by Pinsir.

Are we still on Abomasnow? Or has this just kinda died out?

Anyways, Cofagrigus is really good. He counters so many physical attackers its rediculous. His biggest drawback is no reliable recovery, unfortunately.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Seen so many failinfest cofraagrigus recently, altough the resttalk version is kinda scary as a spinblocker and status sponge.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
What does that mean?

I dont go for RestTalk.

Will o Wisp, Haze, Shadow Ball, Pain Split is what I use. He works wonders for my team.

sorry if i wasnt specific, by restalk i meant wow hex rest/talk.
I havnt used him since last gen he is in the breeding queque around number 60something in priority.

But when im against it...well its commonly using 3 sets, rest\talk status inducer move hex, Infest wow hex painsplit and the nasty plot trickroom variant.

I have seen a rise in the infest variation in the past 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Never run into Infestation before. Seems like a gimmick more than anything. I may try out Hex, since I burn a lot of Pokes with Will O Wisp. Not sure though. I use him on my PS team.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Its more of a pseudo traper.
The only time i saw it work was when he switched imediatly into a azumarril imediatly after using infest kinda like a double switching cancel.

Ace Trainer Riana

Mega Heracross would be really good...if not for the fact that Talonflame destroys it. You have to be running Stealth Rock and probably something with Extremespeed/Fake Out to check Talonflame

Mega Heracross would be really good...if not for the fact that Talonflame destroys it. You have to be running Stealth Rock and probably something with Extremespeed/Fake Out to check Talonflame

Geodude counters Talonflame...

Proof:

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Geodude: 84-99 (29.5 - 34.8%) -- 13.7% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Geodude: 84-99 (29.5 - 34.8%) -- 13.7% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Geodude: 84-99 (29.5 - 34.8%) -- 13.7% chance to 3HKO

What Im getting at is that any rock type completely counters Talonflame, as well as Heatran.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.

odly enough i have had some succes checking him with batonpass floatzel after stealth rock damage by switching in when he swords danced.

Was funny to see but i was just using a weird team, who knows if a damp stone or cb floatzel could see some use in OU.

KillerDraco

Was funny to see but i was just using a weird team, who knows if a damp stone or cb floatzel could see some use in OU.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, since Floatzel is incredibly frail and is more or less outclassed in every way by Greninja.

Arceus500

I find that mega tyranitar is a beast This is the set I use:
Tyranitar@Tyranitarite
Nature:Jolly
Evs:252 att, 252 spe, 4 hp
Moves:
- DD
- EQ
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
The idea is to switch into almost anything, set up and start sweeping. At +1, Tyranitar reaches 397 speed, just barely outspeed max positive natured base 130's, but people dont expect it, and switch in Jolteon and stuff.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, since Floatzel is incredibly frail and is more or less outclassed in every way by Greninja.

Almost everything is outclased by the permastabfrog.

Im just trying to think of ways of avoiding using the same tricore everymatch.

About megattar, I prefer using firepunch on mine. Feels weird tough i really love the sassy 252hp 252 spdef 4 spA assault vest one with fireblast icebeam superpower and darkpulse. I know its really oldstyle but it forces switches like hell. I have been thinking about replacing dark pulse with dtail or perhaps breed one in b2 to see if i get foulplay for the lulz.

Last edited:

Ace Trainer Riana

I just came up with a crazy new idea. It's a Ninjask that instead of running Swords Dance runs Endure with a Weakness Policy. It's untested and gimmicky, but it also has the ability to essentially Baton Pass a plus 2 speed and offense to anything. It's major downside is priority though. Endure is more reliable than Focus Sash because it always works as long as it's not used in succession.

KillerDraco

I just came up with a crazy new idea. It's a Ninjask that instead of running Swords Dance runs Endure with a Weakness Policy. It's untested and gimmicky, but it also has the ability to essentially Baton Pass a plus 2 speed and offense to anything. It's major downside is priority though. Endure is more reliable than Focus Sash because it always works as long as it's not used in succession.

The problem with that is that Ninjask is so frail that even non-SE attacks can threaten to 1HKO it, in which case, Weakness Policy doesn't activate, and you're left with a 1 HP, +1 Speed Ninjask, which is effectively inferior to SD+Sash.

...Plus, Ninjask is so badly outclassed by Scolipede now that it's really not even worth using.

There is a difference between underrated and outclassed, after all.