• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Creative/Underrated Sets - No Terrible Gimmicks

Eaglehawk

Banned
Underrated?

Definitely Staraptor.

Paired with either Talonflame or Pinsir, Double Bird destroys OU rn. CB Reckless BB or DE pretty much 2HKOs the meta right now.

Also, CB Dragonite is rising up right now. Now the best Extreme Speed user and one of the best wallbreakers in the meta right now. Seriously, there are like only 4 Pokemon who aren't 2HKO'ed by it: Mega-Aggron, Avalugg, and Togekiss. Wanna try something fun kids? CB Dragonite + DD Mega Charizard X. You'll win games by facerolling. I guarantee it.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Underrated?

Definitely Staraptor.

Paired with either Talonflame or Pinsir, Double Bird destroys OU rn. CB Reckless BB or DE pretty much 2HKOs the meta right now.

Also, CB Dragonite is rising up right now. Now the best Extreme Speed user and one of the best wallbreakers in the meta right now. Seriously, there are like only 4 Pokemon who aren't 2HKO'ed by it: Mega-Aggron, Avalugg, and Togekiss. Wanna try something fun kids? CB Dragonite + DD Mega Charizard X. You'll win games by facerolling. I guarantee it.

Currently using a CB dragonite, it has yet to disapoint me :3.
Altough mine gave up superpower for fire punch, dunno I just find it more reliable.

Never tried talon+staraptor(mainly coz i need to get ha staraptor) but seeing the calcs, well DE is a really nasty attack against some of the usual counters. I might give it a try.

Amaan

Banned
I find that mega tyranitar is a beast This is the set I use:
Tyranitar@Tyranitarite
Nature:Jolly
Evs:252 att, 252 spe, 4 hp
Moves:
- DD
- EQ
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
The idea is to switch into almost anything, set up and start sweeping. At +1, Tyranitar reaches 397 speed, just barely outspeed max positive natured base 130's, but people dont expect it, and switch in Jolteon and stuff.

This set is really good, it should be used more often. Charizard X may be better at sweeping but this thing can also set up sandstorm!

Somebody ragequitted on me because I used a weakness policy Dragonite.

What evs did you invest in?

My set:
Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
Mummy
252 HP 4 SpAtk 252 SpDef
-Haze
-Shadow Ball
-Will o Wisp
-Pain Split

I go specially defensive thanks to a base 145 Defense, and Will o Wisp neuters all physical attackers bar Conkeldurr and Fire Types. With Special Defense EVs, he can survive enough hits to get his job done.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Well i tried cb reckless staraptor 20 times, and man he does hit hard, tough he is also a magnet for aegislash klefki and mawile, so i recomend to use him with a sub user\priority abuser. Well thats judging from my own expertice wich is relatively low.

Am i the only one seeing a rise in subdisable gengar went against 3 while giving a test drive to staraptor?

If anyone wants a reckless starly i think i still got some 3-4iv left after breeding, just saying.

McDanger

Due to the increase in activity, i have revised the thread. Be sure to read the new rules on the op or here

OU is defined by standard sets. We see a Landorus Therian and assume its either a choice scarf revenger or a offensive pivot. However, people can make use of creative or underrated sets to gain an advantage in a match, turning normal answers into set up baits or useless in front of them. This thread is devoted to discussing underrated pokemon, their sets, as well as creative sets for common pokemon.

What is a Good Creative Set
- The set pulls off a role without being outclassed by another pokemon. It is very important to know the difference between competition and outclassed.

- Takes advantage of current trends in the metagame

- It is successful. You may post calculations or replays to prove it, but make sure they are reasonable

What is a Good Underrated Set
- A less common, yet effective set ex. Bulky Charizard x vs Standard Charizard X

- Takes advantage of key points and trends in the metagame

- These sets are generally able to beat their normal answers ex Mixed Mega Garchomp easily beats answers for Swords Dance Mega Garchomp

Any crappy gimmacks will be deleted and infracted

What constitutes a crappy gimmack
- Using something that has no business in OU for the sack of using it in OU ex Zwelious

- Moves sets that are inferior to current movesets as well as horrible outclassed by other pokemon

- No ubers

Basically none of this

Specs Blissey:

Blissey (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure (or Serene Grace for 60% paralyze, 20% burn, 20% freeze)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard

For a special wall, Blissey hits surprisingly hard, reaching a special attack stat of 410 after all is added up. The movepool is to ensure that blissey hits as hard as possible, but some moves can be swapped out if they must (ice beam for blizzard, thunderbolt for thunder, etc.). This combination hits 10 out of 18 types super effectively. This set also makes a very good special tank and will catch many things like ferrothorn off guard.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
This might sound rather gimmicky, but no that you mention landorus. Has anyone actually considered him as a gravity user, i mean the only 2 decent gravity users i have found are specially defensive bronzong and this guy.

Landorus
Adamant
leftovers
80hp 252atk 176 speed
earthquake
uturn
knock off
gravity

I know it sounds gimmicky as hell but the flying drop has been huge for me in this generation, as well as knock off access with a relatively good speed to boost it. I was using this set on the past gen to lure skarmory, but on this new gen with flying types and rotom running around this guy seems more viable.

Last edited:
This might sound rather gimmicky, but no that you mention landorus. Has anyone actually considered him as a gravity user, i mean the only 2 decent gravity users i have found are specially defensive bronzong and this guy.

Landorus
Adamant
leftovers
80hp 252atk 176 speed
earthquake
uturn
knock off
gravity

I know it sounds gimmicky as hell but the flying drop has been huge for me in this generation, as well as knock off access with a relatively good speed to boost it. I was using this set on the past gen to lure skarmory, but on this new gen with flying types and rotom running around this guy seems more viable.

Which Landorus form are you using? For physical roles like this, Landorus-T is strictly better, while Landorus-I excels with Life Orb'd special Gravity sets.

I've seen a number of Gravity Landoruses, and they are surprisingly good, so this isn't as crappy as you might think.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
sadly im a console player so i only got 3 landorus to work with, all are physical, hance the use of therian. I would love to try a rash incarnate one with acces to knock off and earth power tough.

Im glad to see im not the only one who tought of this guy. any speed treeshold they are particulary fond of using?

Underrated? Intimidate Staraptor.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Close Combat

I posted this in the Team Building competition, and paired with another Intimidator (Like Lando), he is able to cripple many physical threats just by switching in. U-Turn allows you to keep momentum, such as when youre able to predict the obvious switch on a -1 Conkeldurr (And most nonboosted physical attackers). Reckless has more power, sure, but Intimidate has more team support.

Just make sure you have something for Rocks. They hurt.

Last edited:

CaptainSteve

On indefinite hiatus
Underrated: Hydration Goodra
This thing man. This. Thing. Holding a Damp Rock and RD, it sponges status like it's nobody's business. Oh, it gets Sludge Wave/Bomb and Thunder alongside Dragon Pulse. Remember when Mega Mawile thought it could freely switch in on you? Thunder is perfect cover for those Pokemon who try and hassle you, expecting a Fire move. I'll concede it doesn't take Physical as well, but I love using it as a status sponge. With Rain up, that's 8 free turns of taking Status. Oh, you can switch Sludge Bomb for Rest too. It's a fantastically underrated combo for when people expect Gooey.

McDanger

Gooey tho seems far superior as you have to give up leftovers or the assault vest and 2 attacks so you can heal as well as become very dependent on the rain. It just seems to me to need to much work to be a special sponge like that when you could just use Latias who has more physical bulk, speed, access to recover so you can use the other slot as an attack or support move like defog or healing wish. Chansey also is superior with its access to wish and softboiled and better special bulk, tho it has worse phsyical. Overall I feel its generally outclassed or overshadowed by Goodras assault vest set which sets it apart as a special pivot.

CaptainSteve

On indefinite hiatus
Assault Vest is situational, and frankly pointless on Goodra. Goodra is a solid basis for a Rain-based team with Hydration, where Gooey is nice for every other set.

McDanger

I fail to see how you get that the assault vest is situation as it just lets you sponge special attacks better making it more effective making it superior as a special defensive pivot like landorus therian for physical attacks through intimidate. Goodra is one of the best users of an assault vest as it has no real support movepool, only rest really.

CaptainSteve

On indefinite hiatus
Goodra already has so much Special Defence that boosting it further is overkill and a waste of a moveslot, in my opinion. I'm not saying that Damp Rock RD Hydration Goodra > Assault Vest Goodra all the time, but I've found it very useful. Whatever works for people is cool.

Conquer Phoenix

Falling Light
I like see if this will make it
Infernape
Hasty
Life orb
252attack
4sp attack
252speed
Mach punch
Close combat
Flamethrower
U turn

I think the ape is a underrated poke even though it is ou because of the manny walls that can counter it now plus with its move pool and speed it can make dents in people's teams

My next one is
Jirachi just because of the many special walls we have and his ability
Choice scarf was used in 5th gen and
Or this set
With fire punch body slam iron head substitute it can also be a Sr user calm mind user or a wish passer that you don't see a lot of. Please comment if I am wrong I might had read the rules wrong

McDanger

I'd run fire blast>flamethrower for power. Infernape struggles, mostly with the set you gave, with fairy walls like sylveon. You can run gunk shot over mach punch to hit them hard and make infernape a better wallbreaker, tho I feel it still has a lot of competition with Kyurem Black, who can break rotom wash easier while mixed mega garchomp also gives it competition for the same reasons as well as break zapdos easier. Honestly Infernape will truly shine if it falls into UU as atm it has competition with Kyurem Black, Mega Garchomp [mixed], and Aegislash

Goodra is primarily a special tank that should be avoiding physical hits as much as possible. That said, the Assault Vest easily compensates for the lack of Leftovers when taking hits from the special side and allows 252/4 Goodra to do things like survive the 2HKO from LO Greninja's Ice Beam from full health while also reducing Mega Charizard Y's Dragon Pulse to a measly 4HKO, both of which it would be unable to do otherwise. If you want to run a HydraRest set, I've found that it's much more effective to just pair it up with Politoed (who Goodra synergizes with nicely). This helps free up an extra moveslot since you no longer need Rain Dance, and more importantly, you can hold Leftovers. It takes a bit of forward thinking to successfully utilize Politoed's Drizzle with Goodra's HydraRest, but you get the hang of it over time.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Nobody apreciates sap siper on goodra, I must say that gooey is amazing but gaining a switch in imunity to spore or lech seed sells it for me, outside of buying me a turn gooey never did a lot for my team, well bar giving competitive boost to a milotic(worst case scenario that actually hapened).

Anyone uses mixed goodra with sap siper or am i the only one.