• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Creative/Underrated Sets - No Terrible Gimmicks

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
Carbink/mixed support/tank

nature/bold

item/light clay

EV/max hp and defence rest goes into sp attack

ability/clear body

moves/moonblast/calm mind/reflect/rest moonblast works wonders with calm mind the boosts let you ko many pokemon and tank many others even some not very effective hits can be damaging if you have managed to score multiple boosts just don't get greedy reflect is yur best bet for boosting your defence and tanking from the other side while supporting your team if you need to switch out most the pokemon you'll be running from will be physical which lets you help your switch ins survive rest lets you heal but more importantly the horrible sleep effect gets rid of status so if you've managed to take out your main counters and are hit by a toxic you can just laugh and heal it up before it gets too damaging continuing to tank over the two turns your asleep

this set is alot better then it looks started as a just for fun messing around set till I found it was vible vs many ou pokemon it dose have weaknesses but with good use of teamview and smart playing its easily a great set to use for someone who has stealth rock and sp defence covered the set lets you set up very easily and unless you are taunted before you can get a calm mind up taunt dosen't bother this set as much as you think I simpley get into something I know I can take a hit from and am sure it dosen't have taunt then calm mind or reflect depending on the other team which is needed most even if they switch to a taunter it is too late if you've got 1 or 2 calm minds you will likely blow them away with moonblast steels are the only pokemon your likely gonna run from after a boost but with good switch ins who love the reflect support from carbink its a force to take into account I can post some battles or you could try this yourself just play smart and use rest wisely since setup sweepers will be lured to a sleeping carbink

I personally would give up Rest and give it either Power Gem, Light Screen, Safeguard, or Stealth Rock. I don't know a lot about how it'd work for a doubles match but in singles, any tank that doesn't really have reliable recovery either is going to need Leftovers or to be supported by a pokemon with Wish, and I'd stick to the latter for this one. If you can include a defensive Bug type in your team to handle Ground and Grass attacks and a Water to take Water and Steel attacks, you'd have a pretty decent defensive core (though it really depends on what tier you're in; Carbink is NU, so it could fit in any team legally). Dragon/Flying is another option, resisting all of Carbink's wealmesses and being neutral to Steel, but if you're in NU or RU you're pretty much stuck with Altaria for that, as the majority of the good Dragon/Flying types that can take a hit are in UU and OU. Its defenses are good enough that you could feasibly ignore investing in them, but investing in SpAtt is really only going to take you so far with 50 base, so your choice to invest in Def is probably the wisest. If you're going for a defensive boost, I'd probably use Light Screen before Calm Mind, just in case the opponent phases Carbink out. Safeguard would be a great option if you have a team that would be crippled by status, and Stealth Rock is a great idea to set up in any tier if possible.

If you're going for an OU team, not only would I say Power Gem is a good idea, but I might even suggest taking it over Moonblast. It's gonna be your primary means of handling Talonflame and any form of Charizard; after a CM or two you'll be able to OHKO them, and while M-Char-Y can hit you hard with Solarbeam if you don't set up a Calm Mind or Light Screen beforehand, M-Char-X and Talonflame will struggle to do all that much damage at all. You might think about Conkeldurr, but generally they can survive several hits of Moonblast, and are better handled by something that'll Knock Off their Assault Vest before you even try and take them down; a Granbull or a Wallbreaker Togekiss would be much better at taking Conkeldurr on, with the former having considerable resistance to its moves and 2HKOing with Play Rough even without a boost, and the latter able to 2HKO with Air Slash even through an Assault Vest and having a better than half chance of Flinching it to prevent it from hitting back with Ice Punch. If you include either to handle Conkeldurr though, you may want to be very careful to include something that can take on strong Steel types like Aegislash and Lucario. You might do better with Moonblast down in RU and maybe UU, though, since the only Fire/Flying threats you'll be seeing there are Moltres and maybe Fletchinder.

Shinjick

semi pro trainer
I personally would give up Rest and give it either Power Gem, Light Screen, Safeguard, or Stealth Rock. I don't know a lot about how it'd work for a doubles match but in singles, any tank that doesn't really have reliable recovery either is going to need Leftovers or to be supported by a pokemon with Wish, and I'd stick to the latter for this one. If you can include a defensive Bug type in your team to handle Ground and Grass attacks and a Water to take Water and Steel attacks, you'd have a pretty decent defensive core (though it really depends on what tier you're in; Carbink is NU, so it could fit in any team legally). Dragon/Flying is another option, resisting all of Carbink's wealmesses and being neutral to Steel, but if you're in NU or RU you're pretty much stuck with Altaria for that, as the majority of the good Dragon/Flying types that can take a hit are in UU and OU. Its defenses are good enough that you could feasibly ignore investing in them, but investing in SpAtt is really only going to take you so far with 50 base, so your choice to invest in Def is probably the wisest. If you're going for a defensive boost, I'd probably use Light Screen before Calm Mind, just in case the opponent phases Carbink out. Safeguard would be a great option if you have a team that would be crippled by status, and Stealth Rock is a great idea to set up in any tier if possible.

If you're going for an OU team, not only would I say Power Gem is a good idea, but I might even suggest taking it over Moonblast. It's gonna be your primary means of handling Talonflame and any form of Charizard; after a CM or two you'll be able to OHKO them, and while M-Char-Y can hit you hard with Solarbeam if you don't set up a Calm Mind or Light Screen beforehand, M-Char-X and Talonflame will struggle to do all that much damage at all. You might think about Conkeldurr, but generally they can survive several hits of Moonblast, and are better handled by something that'll Knock Off their Assault Vest before you even try and take them down; a Granbull or a Wallbreaker Togekiss would be much better at taking Conkeldurr on, with the former having considerable resistance to its moves and 2HKOing with Play Rough even without a boost, and the latter able to 2HKO with Air Slash even through an Assault Vest and having a better than half chance of Flinching it to prevent it from hitting back with Ice Punch. If you include either to handle Conkeldurr though, you may want to be very careful to include something that can take on strong Steel types like Aegislash and Lucario. You might do better with Moonblast down in RU and maybe UU, though, since the only Fire/Flying threats you'll be seeing there are Moltres and maybe Fletchinder.

you do have interesting points and I've already tested your suggestions tho wish can be sometimes hard to pull off the only wish passer I can think of who'd not be crushed is blissy which would go well with reflect ontop of that can't she also get healbell? and in singles the set works as a tank who can hit hard it outstalls talonflame wasting its roosts and easily sets up on it even if it sword dances the main reason for rest is for recovery and status healing which Carbink needs and ets Carbink work on his own without support while still supporting a selective team like the one I have built its hard to understand I know but unless you see it in action you won't get how effective this set can be I'll send you some video codes if you like

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
This is very Underatted

Archeops
@Choice Scarf/Choice Band
252 Evs Atk 252 Evs Spd 4 Evs Hp
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Aerial Ace/Filler
U-turn

This set is pretty good with and Atk stat of 140 and a Spd stat of 110 this thing is amazing and for some reason a Sp atk Stat of 112 xD. The only bad side is defeatist which is absolutely terrible abillity but saying that with the outspeed with choice scarf and that attack stat behind it you can hit hard and then switch out without losing HP. Rapid Sponners would work well woth him stupid Stealth Rock. Band could also work as he still has a base Spd stat of 110.

Ryanp

Here's one I think you haven't heard of Yet.

Lopunny Lum Berry
Cute charm
attract
thunder wave
power up punch
Dig/ice punch

I find this set moderately effective. The gender makes a huge difference, and I fine that a female lopunny
Seems to be the best because of all the male only teams. First you attract them, then you paralyze em and they only have a sliver of a chance to hit lopunny. Power up punch is great with this because it sets up lopunny to be a sweeper with a sertain amount of hits.
Pick it apart all you'd like.

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
Here's one I think you haven't heard of Yet.

Lopunny Lum Berry
Cute charm
attract
thunder wave
power up punch
Dig/ice punch

I find this set moderately effective. The gender makes a huge difference, and I fine that a female lopunny
Seems to be the best because of all the male only teams. First you attract them, then you paralyze em and they only have a sliver of a chance to hit lopunny. Power up punch is great with this because it sets up lopunny to be a sweeper with a sertain amount of hits.
Pick it apart all you'd like.

I tried this but lopunny is way to frail :/

KillerDraco

There's also the fact that Togekiss and Jirachi exist and pull off the set better, utilizing Serene Grace ParaFlinching instead of Para-Attract (which of course is a gimmick), but actually doing decent damage and having decent bulk. So it's entirely outclassed.

Aenonar

has 99 problems
Mewtwo holding a Focus Sash. Ability: Unnerve 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Taunt
- Self-Destruct
- Psystrike
- Psych Up

Sorry, you want to Geomancy, Xerneas? Hmm, bad idea. Oh, you don't have a Xerneas? Let me anti-lead you and explode in your face! Please, keep setting up Calm Mind on me.

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
Mewtwo holding a Focus Sash. Ability: Unnerve 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Taunt
- Self-Destruct
- Psystrike
- Psych Up

Sorry, you want to Geomancy, Xerneas? Hmm, bad idea. Oh, you don't have a Xerneas? Let me anti-lead you and explode in your face! Please, keep setting up Calm Mind on me.

Thatsp is the moost ridiculous set ever xD but it works. i play ubers soometmes and if you give xerneas one turn to set up your dead unlless yo have priority steel or something

UnitRico

So, I've been using this for a few battles on Showdown, and am planning on breeding it once I figure out the exact EVs I want (and when a blasted shiny Rattata finally wants to hatch, grmbl grmbl). No idea if this is actually creative or underrated, I've just never seen it being used:

Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Unburden
Rash (+SpA, -SpD)
252 SpA / 140 Spd / 116 Atk
- Endure
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Acrobatics

For now, the EVs should be enough to outspeed a Jolly max Spd Ninjask after the Unburden boost, though I didn't think about Speed Boost at all, so I might need to fiddle around with it a bit.

Anyway, with its three immunities, Drifblim shouldn't have too much trouble coming in on something, and isn't affected by several priority moves, which is a good thing, considering it'll be spending some time at 1 HP. The idea, obviously, is to Endure on a super effective move, activating both the Weakness Policy and Unburden, after which Drifblim is primed for a sweep with its mixed STAB moves and Thunderbolt for coverage.

Onyx Tanuki

Combee
Item focus sash
ability honey gather
nature hasty/timid
Ev 252speed/252special attack/4defence
moves
Endever
gust
bug buzz
tailwind

endeavor try to get the lowest hp IV stat as possible this lets you maximize he damage you can do before being hit which lets you switch out and save Combee for a slow victom to crush

gust is there as filler since combee gets nexst to no moves but sometimes it has it's uses if you need to finish off a very weakend fighting grass or bug type

bug buzz is your best stab option but again is mostly filler and only used in rare cases to finish off weakend pokemon

tailwind works well as a last move or a starting move if vs something faster then you that dosen't have priority which lets you hit them with endever while giving afew turns of speed I use this alongside things like mega heracross who lack speed but can KO most pokemon in one turn this greatly increases the effectiveness of using tailwind and can give you an edge on your opponent right at the start making it a very underrated support move that Combee dosen't mind running

Info
this set has afew niches and weaknesses I'll be stating first starting with the positives ok here goes

this set can let you cripple up to 1-2 threats for the price of 1 slot while also letting you support some powerful pokemon which can make the most use out of tailwind which would otherwise be a waste of a moveslot their might be other tailwind users out there but none can die faster then little old combee which lets you get your sweeper out quickly with a speed boost that'll let them sweep on adverage 3 pokemon depending on the sweeper and opponent's counters and last but not least who dosen't love an effective troll on the team which will make your opponent facepalm themselves till their forehead is red

ok well priority is first to come to mind but usealy you can predict them and use whatever move suits the problem best the REAL problem is Tyranitar a common threat in OU who auto sandstorms you making combee capable of only using 1 move before dying usealy a smart player dragon dances letting you take a hit from sand weather then finishes you off the nexst turn which leaves the rest of your team shaking with fear another mention is fake out I label this away from priority since its auto flinch leaves combee ready for a KO and most the fake out users are faster then combee making them perfect counters ghost pokemon ruin this set and ghosts are common in most tiers lastly Swellow can run the same tailwind/endeavor focus sash set while running scrappy as well as being faster making Combee's only niche outclassed in everyway possible apart from fun factors making this set slightly gimicky when compared to swellow

Hmm... well I suppose this set makes sense, but Combee is probably one of the worst options you could consider for Focus Sash/Endeavor. Rattata, Doduo, and especially Taillow outclass it due to access to Quick Attack, allowing them to pick off the opposing pokemon unless it has priority. And, as you mentioned, Taillow has Scrappy, allowing it to Endeavor Ghosts. If you insist on using it, I'd replace either Gust or Bug Buzz with String Shot or Protect; if you hit the foe with String Shot immediately you'll have a chance of encouraging a switch against your next opponent., while using Protect will let you determine if the foe has a status move that you could potentially absorb with another pokemon.

I was looking at other options for you (besides the obvious Taillow, Doduo, or Rattata), though, in case you want to use one with a slight edge over the usual ones due to their abilities.

solosis.gif

Solosis @ Focus Sash
Magic Guard
Hasty/Naive
4/252 Att/SpAtt, 252 Speed (0 HP, Def, SpDef IVs, Level 1)
- Endeavor
- Protect
- Trick
- (any damaging attack)

Chip damage used to break Sashes is one of the things that will completely ruin an Endeavor pokemon, but because of Magic Guard, Solosis is completely immune to it, whether it comes from status, weather, or entry hazards, essentially forcing the opponent to break your Sash directly and let itself be taken down to 1 HP. You could even potentially run this on a Sand or Hail team, which would turn Endeavor into a guaranteed OHKO combined with weather damage. It also makes it possible to hard-switch Solosis in if you predict a Toxic or Will-o-Wisp coming your way. Protect allows you to scout for an opponent's move if you feel confident that you can take them down without Solosis's help, and Trick can be used if you predict the opponent to lead with anything that might rely on its item. Since Solosis doesn't have access to any priority moves, it doesn't especially matter what attack you use or how its offensive EVs are divvied out; you only need to do 1 more damage, and it's highly unlikely the opponent will let you live that one extra turn.

aron.gif

Aron @ Custap Berry/Rocky Helmet/Quick Claw
Sturdy
Hasty/Naive
252 Att, 4 SpAtt, 252 Speed (0 HP, Def, SpDef IVs, Level 1)
- Endeavor
- Stealth Rock
- Endure
- (any damaging attack)

Aron makes another interesting option in that, not only does his typing make him immune to both Sand damage and Poison - allowing you to have him switch in on a Toxic - but he doesn't require a Focus Sash thanks to the Sturdy ability, which opens up a few item options. Custap Berry guarantees priority on the next move; however, I don't know if this bonus is used up on the first turn when your pokemon uses Endeavor, and if so, Custap Berry would be pretty useless. Quick Claw has a 20% chance of giving priority to your used move every turn, so while it may have the desired effect and let Aron use its damage attack as priority, it instead give Endeavor priority (in which case you leave the opponent enough HP to survive the next hit, priority or no) or, more likely, you'll just not get priority at all. Rocky Helmet will help in the event that the opponent only has contact moves, which means he'll either have to sacrifice his current pokemon or switch out and allow you to Endeavor a second pokemon. Endure is there for scouting, while Stealth Rock gives Aron something to do if it doesn't prove useful.

Last edited:

Ace Trainer Riana

I've been running this Gengar lately and found it works very well.

Gengar
Timid 252 Speed 252 HP 4 Special Attack
Black Sludge

Will-O-Wisp
Destiny Bond
Shadow Ball
Sludge Wave

Even with no investment, it still has a massive special stat.

Also Fissure is banned in all competitive formats.

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
I've been running this Gengar lately and found it works very well.

Gengar
Timid 252 Speed 252 HP 4 Special Attack
Black Sludge

Will-O-Wisp
Destiny Bond
Shadow Ball
Sludge Wave

Even with no investment, it still has a massive special stat.

Also Fissure is banned in all competitive formats.

Hmm this is nice but why 252 Spd i would suggest maybe 252 Sp Def 252 Hp and 4 Sp Atk/Spd because after will-o-wisp gengar will still be able to take the physical hits hopefully...

With Aegislash gone, a lot of people have given up the coverage moves they used to run to beat it. Fortunately, myself and several other players have been goofing around with this little guy, and...just lol.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
IVs: 0 Spd (if using Gyro Ball)
Relaxed / Sassy Nature (Impish / Careful if using Iron Head)
-Shadow Sneak
-Gyro Ball / Iron Head
-Sacred Sword / Aerial Ace
-Rest

Doublade is so hilarious now that things have stopped running random Earthquakes and such because they thought they'd never have to deal with a Steel / Ghost again. Then here comes Doublade, a really fun check to a lot of these wallbreaker that are started to give stall more trouble. The set is kind of weird, but there's method to the madness. The EV spread is used to increase Doublade's special bulk in order to counter non-Shadow Ball Mega Gardevoir, a pretty big name wallbreaker. Plus, it's physical bulk is so high that EV investment doesn't really make too much of a difference, and it usually beats the things it needs to beat without it. Even so, I often run a Relaxed Nature (Impish if I'm using Iron Head) to ensure that Adamant Mega Heracross cannot 3HKO with Rock Blast at +2 or 2HKO at +4 after Stealth Rock, as otherwise it has a shot at winning since Gyro Ball only 3HKOs at best (although common Rock Blast crits can easily mess that up). Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice still only has a measly 0.1% chance to 3HKOs, so you still win. However, you can also run a Sassy (or Careful) nature to be an even more solid counter to Mega Gardevoir and Stored Power Clefable (whom stall hates to face). Speaking of Gyro Ball, I prefer it as a Steel STAB since it matches or surpasses Iron Head for power against anything with a Spe stat of 215 or more. This gives it an excellent damage output against really fast opponents like Mega Pinsir and Terrakion. However, Iron Head is still handy for slower things like the aforementioned Stored Power Clefable. You don't quite 2HKO, but you do enough to get it to burn through Soft-Boiled PP and hopefully scare it out before it can get too many boosts under its belt. Rest is really important because it's the only real form of recovery Doublade has, lol. Besides, the things it's switching in on generally don't 3HKO, so it can stall them out with Rest without too many problems. As for coverage, Sacred Sword is cool for Bisharp and such, but Aerial Ace is sort of a weird move that makes killing Mega Heracross much easier since it's a guaranteed 2HKO. It's especially useful if your opponent gets lucky with Rock Blast crits, and it also frees you up a little to go with a Sassy / Careful nature for maximum special bulk.

EDIT: Oh yeah, protip: pair this thing with Wish + Heal Bell Chansey and I promise you it'll pretty much never die, lol.

Last edited:
Hmm this is nice but why 252 Spd i would suggest maybe 252 Sp Def 252 Hp and 4 Sp Atk/Spd because after will-o-wisp gengar will still be able to take the physical hits hopefully...

Bulk investment on gengar is next to pointless. Speed in order to assure that you inflict status is more important. However i would add substitute over sludge wave to increase survivability

This seems like a decent set. What could it be good on it beside Rest?

Toxic is a cool move since it helps wear down bulkier opponents that Doublade can't really break itself. You could also run Shadow Claw for the generally awesome neutral coverage and extra damage against a couple of things such as Mega Medicham. Not running Rest also gives you the freedom to run both of the moves on either of those slashed moveslots instead of having to pick one of the two. Just keep in mind that Rest is the only way Doublade can heal itself, so without it, you'll really need to play well with Wish support if you want to keep Doublade healthy.

Onyx Tanuki

persian.gif

Persian @ Life Orb/Wise Glasses/[any] Plate
Technician
Modest/Timid
4 HP, 252 SpAtt, 252 Speed
- Nasty Plot
- Swift/Round
- Hidden Power/Water Pulse/Shock Wave/Power Gem/Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Icy Wind
- Hidden Power/Water Pulse/Shock Wave/Power Gem/Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Icy Wind

Technician combined with Persian's surprisingly broad move pool have drawn me toward this type of set, even in spite of its measly 55 SpAtt. It has access to quite a dearth of 60 power Special attack, including Swift and Round for STAB, depending on if you plan to go with Singles or Doubles, and Nasty Plot is pretty much needed to ensure it can actually do something with those attacks. From there, it can go for a LOT of coverage options, depending on the team you're building it for; it can get Boltbeam coverage with Shock Wave/Thunderbolt and Icy Wind/HP Ice, or Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse and HP Fighting, or Water Pulse and HP Grass, or Power Gem and HP Ground... thanks to Technician and Hidden Power the possibilities are grand.

So what's the problem? Well, Persian needs to set up to make this work. It's got Speed, but it's gotta be able to survive a hit so it can Nasty Plot, which means either SubPass or Screens are necessary. Meowstic or Illumise would be good for the latter role due to having access to Screens and Prankster, while the former could be held by anything that can Baton Pass and set up large Substitutes, such as Drifblim or Musharna. Life Orb and Wise Glasses ensure additional oomph to your attacks, with the former much stronger but putting a time limit on an already-fragile pokemon, while a Plate (or analogous hold item) will push up the power of one of your non-Normal moves, in particular Dread, Icicle, Spooky, or Stone since Power Gem, Dark Pulse, and Shadow Ball lag behind at 80 power while Icy Wind is 82 with Technician, and the appropriate Plate will inch those up to 96 or 99, respectively. Of course if you're sticking to base 60/90 moves, a Plate can still give the corresponding move a much-needed bump in power up to 108.

I think maybe the thing is that Persian just doesn't have the stats on its own for setup, especially for Special setup. It's much better with a physical set, and has plenty of moves that can use Technician from that side (Bite, Assurance, Fake Out, Aerial Ace, and so on), but that's part of what makes this an unexpected set. It's definitely not gonna make waves in high tiers, but it's something that I think could be considered for low-tier play. I've seen a similar set on Crobat work well, so hey, why not?

Shinjick

semi pro trainer
With Aegislash gone, a lot of people have given up the coverage moves they used to run to beat it. Fortunately, myself and several other players have been goofing around with this little guy, and...just lol.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
IVs: 0 Spd (if using Gyro Ball)
Relaxed / Sassy Nature (Impish / Careful if using Iron Head)
-Shadow Sneak
-Gyro Ball / Iron Head
-Sacred Sword / Aerial Ace
-Rest

Doublade is so hilarious now that things have stopped running random Earthquakes and such because they thought they'd never have to deal with a Steel / Ghost again. Then here comes Doublade, a really fun check to a lot of these wallbreaker that are started to give stall more trouble. The set is kind of weird, but there's method to the madness. The EV spread is used to increase Doublade's special bulk in order to counter non-Shadow Ball Mega Gardevoir, a pretty big name wallbreaker. Plus, it's physical bulk is so high that EV investment doesn't really make too much of a difference, and it usually beats the things it needs to beat without it. Even so, I often run a Relaxed Nature (Impish if I'm using Iron Head) to ensure that Adamant Mega Heracross cannot 3HKO with Rock Blast at +2 or 2HKO at +4 after Stealth Rock, as otherwise it has a shot at winning since Gyro Ball only 3HKOs at best (although common Rock Blast crits can easily mess that up). Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice still only has a measly 0.1% chance to 3HKOs, so you still win. However, you can also run a Sassy (or Careful) nature to be an even more solid counter to Mega Gardevoir and Stored Power Clefable (whom stall hates to face). Speaking of Gyro Ball, I prefer it as a Steel STAB since it matches or surpasses Iron Head for power against anything with a Spe stat of 215 or more. This gives it an excellent damage output against really fast opponents like Mega Pinsir and Terrakion. However, Iron Head is still handy for slower things like the aforementioned Stored Power Clefable. You don't quite 2HKO, but you do enough to get it to burn through Soft-Boiled PP and hopefully scare it out before it can get too many boosts under its belt. Rest is really important because it's the only real form of recovery Doublade has, lol. Besides, the things it's switching in on generally don't 3HKO, so it can stall them out with Rest without too many problems. As for coverage, Sacred Sword is cool for Bisharp and such, but Aerial Ace is sort of a weird move that makes killing Mega Heracross much easier since it's a guaranteed 2HKO. It's especially useful if your opponent gets lucky with Rock Blast crits, and it also frees you up a little to go with a Sassy / Careful nature for maximum special bulk.

EDIT: Oh yeah, protip: pair this thing with Wish + Heal Bell Chansey and I promise you it'll pretty much never die, lol.

I don't understand what you mean by random Earthquakes people been running Earthquake as one of the most common moves before 6th gen if a pokemon can learn Earthquake then there are far more reasons to run it then ghost and steel they run it as a coverage move for more then just Aegislash but pm me some random earthquake examples incase I'm wrong but when I slap earthquake on anything it's cause I can hit tons of types for supereffective

persian.gif

Persian @ Life Orb/Wise Glasses/[any] Plate
Technician
Modest/Timid
4 HP, 252 SpAtt, 252 Speed
- Nasty Plot
- Swift/Round

Technician combined with Persian's surprisingly broad move pool have drawn me toward this type of set, even in spite of its measly 55 SpAtt. It has access to quite a dearth of 60 power Special attack, including Swift and Round for STAB, depending on if you plan to go with Singles or Doubles, and Nasty Plot is pretty much needed to ensure it can actually do something with those attacks. From there, it can go for a LOT of coverage options, depending on the team you're building it for; it can get Boltbeam coverage with Shock Wave/Thunderbolt and Icy Wind/HP Ice, or Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse and HP Fighting, or Water Pulse and HP Grass, or Power Gem and HP Ground... thanks to Technician and Hidden Power the possibilities are grand.

So what's the problem? Well, Persian needs to set up to make this work. It's got Speed, but it's gotta be able to survive a hit so it can Nasty Plot, which means either SubPass or Screens are necessary. Meowstic or Illumise would be good for the latter role due to having access to Screens and Prankster, while the former could be held by anything that can Baton Pass and set up large Substitutes, such as Drifblim or Musharna. Life Orb and Wise Glasses ensure additional oomph to your attacks, with the former much stronger but putting a time limit on an already-fragile pokemon, while a Plate (or analogous hold item) will push up the power of one of your non-Normal moves, in particular Dread, Icicle, Spooky, or Stone since Power Gem, Dark Pulse, and Shadow Ball lag behind at 80 power while Icy Wind is 82 with Technician, and the appropriate Plate will inch those up to 96 or 99, respectively. Of course if you're sticking to base 60/90 moves, a Plate can still give the corresponding move a much-needed bump in power up to 108.

I think maybe the thing is that Persian just doesn't have the stats on its own for setup, especially for Special setup. It's much better with a physical set, and has plenty of moves that can use Technician from that side (Bite, Assurance, Fake Out, Aerial Ace, and so on), but that's part of what makes this an unexpected set. It's definitely not gonna make waves in high tiers, but it's something that I think could be considered for low-tier play. I've seen a similar set on Crobat work well, so hey, why not?

interesting tho as stated at the bottom I prefer the physical set I find these kind of set ups are best for bulkier pokemon but even then most of those pokemon have a hard time setting up too so I think it'd be harder for poor Persian I won't dis the idea tho so don't take it wrongly

Last edited:
I don't understand what you mean by random Earthquakes people been running Earthquake as one of the most common moves before 6th gen if a pokemon can learn Earthquake then there are far more reasons to run it then ghost and steel they run it as a coverage move for more then just Aegislash but pm me some random earthquake examples incase I'm wrong but when I slap earthquake on anything it's cause I can hit tons of types for supereffective

Generally when I use the word "random," I use it to refer to a wide spectrum of examples rather than a couple in particular. In this case, more specifically, I'm talking about Earthquake on things that generally have better moves to run. The main things I'm referring to are Pokemon such as Terrakion, Mega Heracross, and Mega Pinsir, each of which basically ran Earthquake just for Aegislash. There might be other applications for the move, but they are far and few between since each of those Pokemon can generally hit most of the metagame hard enough with their other moves as it is. Now that Aegislash is gone, these three in particular have started running other moves that offer more utility or coverage now that they don't have to worry about hitting Aegislash, which Doublade can take advantage of thanks to its identical typing. Obviously, I'm not talking about things that commonly run Earthquake as a STAB or coverage move like Mega Gyarados or Landorus-T. However, I'd definitely consider Earthquake on things like the aforementioned three offensive Pokemon to be "random" because it's a pretty niche move on all three and covers very little that couldn't be covered by other moves.