• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Creepiest moments from non-horror games.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So a huge problem with horror games is that they seem repetitive, predictable and for some games too much focused on action over the actual horror, a problem Resident Evil had before RE7. However sometimes the best of the creepiest moments don't come from horror games, they come from non-horror games, even Nintendo games that we play. Here just talk about creepy or scary moments you saw in some non-horror games you played.

So part of the reason I started this thread was because of a game called Sin and Punishment - Star Successor. This is a Nintendo property, specifically a sci-fi shooter that you could say is Nintendo's answer to Neon Genesis Evangelion, funded and published by Nintendo. I want to talk about the secret ending so much with SP fans, only there really isn't a strong community for a four hour shooter. It's part of the reason I created this thread because of arguably the most terrifying scene I have ever seen in a Nintendo game! Wow this sent a shiver through my spine, like out of a Japanese Horror movie. I watched it two or three times and it's still really creepy. Basically the female main character, Kachi, reveals her secret. If you haven't played the game and have no plans to buy it, rather than telling you. I recommend you watch the video, you don't have to play the previous game to understand, you just have to see what happens.

Spoilers - Youtube link

To those who played this game, was I the only one who freaked out what just happened.

Last edited:
The neutral end to Undertale and the end of Deltarune Chapter 1. I don’t consider Undertale or Deltarune to be horror games at all (they’re turn-based JRPGs with good wit and humour at their core) but those parts freaked me out a lot.

I also find Chapters 11 and 13 of Final Fantasy XV super creepy, mainly the latter. Considering the context and the fact that I was already pretty emotional, it’s no wonder really.

Younger me really didn’t like stealth levels in Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4, or beehives/jellyfish in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. The former I got over, the latter is a jumpscare so I’m... still a little scared by it.

shoz999

I feel like a game with a list of horrors that can be a thread all on it's own is the Legend of Zelda series. Who here remembers the Re-Deads? Ocarina of Time. Wind Waker. Twilight Princess. Doesn't matter what game, they are always freaky with their terrifying screams. But my favorite creepy moment was one that surprised me in the Arbiter grounds. As wolf link you may notice that your getting slower and slower and slower. When you turn on the wolf vision, it's revealed to be a bunch of invisible rats on your body.

Reyzadren

Dark trainer
Jumpstart 4th grade: Haunted Island. Repsac.

We're talking about an educational game for 8-year olds. That jumpscare still haunts 90s kids.

I am going to have to go with the Derelict Reaper mission in Mass Effect 2. For one thing, you are exploring the corpse of 37 million year old reaper. You go there to look for a missing science team. However you find and fight a lot of Husks. As for the missing science team? Well, turns out they were indoctrinated and turned into the husks that were fought. Also the Derelict Reaper mission, well you are required to go there since it is part of the main quest line.

shoz999

Metroid Prime 1 and Metroid Prime 2. Metroid is a more mature series so your expecting a bit more scary stuff right? Well for the most part, Metroid is actually a very action-packed game so when you do see some creepy stuff, it's pretty creepy considering Metroid's isolated nature. One creepy moment in Metroid Prime 1 are the Chozo ghosts. It's weird how an enemy can still be both creepy and yet at the same time annoying whenever you have to backtrack to those rooms. Another is Metroid Prime 2 where you see the fate of the Galactic Federation Marines, their corpses possessed by the Ing turning them into zombie soldiers and although they're fairly easy to beat, they still leave a creepy impression on you the first time. However... the most creepiest moment in the ENTIRE Metroid series would undoubtedly be in Metroid Fusion where you have to hide or run away from a Samus clone hunting you called SA-X. That thing sends some chills down your spine.

Last edited:

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Not sure if Metal Gear Solid's Psycho Mantis reading your memory card counts, but when I was younger HOLY **** THAT SCENE...Kojima you brilliant troll! I can see why Sakurai looks up to you...

Also, Giygas. Just...Giygas...

shoz999

In Super Metroid, it arguably has the most creepiest area in the entire game and unlike other locations which is explained by Phazon, Dark Aether or Metroids, there is no exact explanation for the supernatural occurring in the Wrecked Ship, a ship seemingly abandoned long ago. When you enter the ship you notice that there is something very off with the Wrecked Ship. Nothing here works, not the save stations or the doors, nothing. Not only that there are actually no enemies here except one. If you stay around long enough, a ghost-like entity called the Covern appears and unlike Chozo Ghosts, there doesn't seem to be any explanation for them. You eventually find the possible culprit and it's a ghost-like alien called Phantoon and once he's defeated, suddenly the wrecked station turns on. No one knows if Phantoon was the source of it but it was a pretty unusual location for many first-timers.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
As mentioned before, the ReDeads, especially from Ocarina of Time near the grave of the Composer Brothers where you get the Sun's Song were especially creepy, and especially for an E-rated game. I remember wanting to get through that gauntlet of ReDeads as quickly as possible on all of my old playthroughs. I also always remember keeping my Ocarina handy for whenever I faced off against other ReDeads or Gibdos.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Speaking of Super Metroid: Torizo. The door closes shut behind you and the way it rises up with the tense music accompanying it... is honestly creepier than a lot of actual horror games.

And, ass video quality aside, this ending to Myst is pretty ****ing scary, too, aided by the sensory abuse.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Haven't you guys read pokemon entries? Because most of the ghost types and a lot of the others are messed up LOL

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
A lot of the games in the Kirby series have something dark or creepy going on near the end. The true final boss of Kirby's Dream Land 3 is especially unsettling. By the way, the rating for Kirby's Dream Collection includes "animated blood".

I wanted to mention here something from a new favourite of mine, Lost Dimension. LD is not a horror game by any means - its main gimmick does feed off paranoia, but it’s much more of a sci-fi/mystery than anything else.

However, we then reach the Tips section, which has a dual function of not just being a tutorial section, but it’s also where the codex entries you pick up in the game are stored. These serve to fill in background lore and keep the player intrigued until it’s fully explained in the true ending (partially in the normal ending). Again, the codex is mostly a non-horro space, but then we reach the files for the main characters - files you get as a reward for completing the character’s quests, that detail part of their backstory (from here it’s major spoilers!)

Since each of the characters’ psychic abilities aren’t natural, each file focuses on a group of anonymous researchers performing experiments to find the limits of those powers. Some are definitely creepier than others, but each has their own horrific subtext that adds a whole different air to the main characters’ group. Zenji’s in particular is probably the creepiest, considering his synchronisation ability and the fact that he didn’t know how to limit it. LD has flaws but its lore is not one of them.

shoz999

I was playing Okami and there is one fairly creepy level and that's the Sunken Ship. It has your ghosts, a creepy vibe to it, wisps and a sea monster but arguably the most creepiest thing are the dolls. You can't destroy them, they don't do anything but it's still creepy nonetheless. Fun fact though, the Sunken Ship is called the Goryeo which, like Nippon is to Japan, is one of the older names of Korea, in fact the modern name Korea is actually rooted from Goryeo.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Startopia comes to mind (though it's been a while since I've played it due to the outdated code needed for it). The game centers around building colonies on space stations. But not only do you have a HAL-like assistant reminding you of the consequences of failure, but there's also this one trader who comes by your stations, and gets progressively more pushy and creepy as the game progresses. . .

Yokai Watch isn't really a horror game, just about paranormal, which naturally causes some creepiness. But not totally related is some of Whisper's stalker-like actions and dialog, especially early in the game. And just why do I need a ghost army?