• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cresselia's Midsummer Night's Light! (1164)

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
So the contest DID end up being a non-event, not shocked by that tbph, at least unlike the BW special where Brock & Cilan didn't realise that they both travelled with Ash, Koharu found out that Dawn was referring to Ash... after he and Go turned up. I did enjoy the continuity nod to DP in this episode, with Dawn mentioning she met Cresselia on Full Moon Island in DP104. Another thing I enjoyed was JJ&M whiffing on the gacha (abolish this), getting pokemon weak to Darkrai, in addition to the nod to the Team Galactic admins with their ace pokemon being used by the Matori Matrix. It was interesting finding out about Darkrai and Cresselia don't hate each other per se, evident by Cresselia urging Koharu/Dawn to not fight Darkrai and Darkrai defending Cresselia, they simply bounce off each other in a symbiotic relationship.

Ash will release Gengar in episode 78
Nice bait dude

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Now I guess to wonder what will become of them lulz.
Chrysa: Killing all of them for stealing my waifu Psyduck's spotlight
Glad Chloe officially said Ash is her friend in this episode because some people needed those exact words to slip out of her mouth to put “she’s always so cold to to Ash!!!!” to rest.
It was nice she sees him as such even if we barely see them interacting on-screen. I guess she warmed to him after he's helped her sometimes, like that fossil episode?
Not me, I hated the fking series and still do lmao. Dropped it after like 75 eps of the anime and I never liked the manga either.
I tried watching the show but never got really into it.

Which reminds me I really need to check Masami Kurumada's Fuuma no Kojiro (a Jump manga with ninjas that predates naruto by many years) one of these days.

GMax Helios

Man, am I so glad they did another take of a heroic Darkrai. It honestly got annoying how often Darkrai was used as a villain (or in cases like Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia, a pawn for the villain) in Pokemon media after the movie. I'm glad they finally remembered "Hey, just because Darkrai is the complete opposite of Cresselia and gives people nightmares doesn't mean he is a bad Pokemon". I especially love that he was helping Cresselia this time.

UglyToast

Man, am I so glad they did another take of a heroic Darkrai. It honestly got annoying how often Darkrai was used as a villain (or in cases like Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia, a pawn for the villain) in Pokemon media after the movie. I'm glad they finally remembered "Hey, just because Darkrai is the complete opposite of Cresselia and gives people nightmares doesn't mean he is a bad Pokemon". I especially love that he was helping Cresselia this time.
Yeah, me too, I hope we can have a new companion that befriended a Darkrai in future (Like how Shaymin stayed with Mallow for a while, that's what I mean by my statement)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The Cynthia one could work. If Piplup uses Ice Beam, it has a chance of actually winning.

Either way, the last panel was the funniest

dentula

So, I stopped watching the anime since the fossil episode. Came back for this arc because I love the lunar duo very much and couldn't resist some new lore. Made a pit stop at ep65 with Iris returning and was reminded why I got jaded in the first place lol. Anyway, this arc was a pleasant experience - not what I hoped it'd be, but there was some enjoyable stuff.

Yeah, me too, I hope we can have a new companion that befriended a Darkrai in future (Like how Shaymin stayed with Mallow for a while, that's what I mean by my statement)
I was a little optimistic that Koharu/Hikari would do this with Cresselia, but didn't have my hopes too high since Cresselia is needed to fulfill her role alongside Darkrai on the islands, and it's not very feasible for Darkrai to get caught, either, since its ability would be really problematic while traveling. That said, it'd be neat to see Tobias again and how he gets on with his legendaries outside of battle. Never gonna happen though.

Cresselia looking on, smiling sometimes, while the girls practiced coordination stuff was wholesome.

The arc actually went into the duo's relationship unlike their feature in the original DP anime, which was trash. It appears for the most part, the duo have an amicable relationship and support each other. I like that interpretation.

I appreciate the writers showcased Hikari's eccentric personality - clumsy with a psychotic motto of "daijoubu!!!" then turning serious and competent when it matters. I was worried the latter characteristic wasn't going to show up for character foil purposes (contrast for Koharu's by-the-book mentality, as seen in the first part of the arc).

I think it'd be better if Satoshi/Goh weren't involved and the whole TR thing got resolved by the girls working with the lunar duo. Would make for a pretty good moment in the Hikari return episode when Satoshi learns that Koharu already had a neat adventure with a past companion.

UglyToast

I was a little optimistic that Koharu/Hikari would do this with Cresselia, but didn't have my hopes too high since Cresselia is needed to fulfill her role alongside Darkrai on the islands, and it's not very feasible for Darkrai to get caught, either, since its ability would be really problematic while traveling. That said, it'd be neat to see Tobias again and how he gets on with his legendaries outside of battle. Never gonna happen though.

Cresselia looking on, smiling sometimes, while the girls practiced coordination stuff was wholesome.

The arc actually went into the duo's relationship unlike their feature in the original DP anime, which was trash. It appears for the most part, the duo have an amicable relationship and support each other. I like that interpretation.

I appreciate the writers showcased Hikari's eccentric personality - clumsy with a psychotic motto of "daijoubu!!!" then turning serious and competent when it matters. I was worried the latter characteristic wasn't going to show up for character foil purposes (contrast for Koharu's by-the-book mentality, as seen in the first part of the arc).
Yeah, I agree with you, but I would like to imagine Darkrai would leave the main cast when they are in a city but come back as soon as they are not near any city or town (so in that way no one would get hurt by Darkrai plus it could spend time with Ash and others, I see this as an absolute win)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
facebook_1627841454587_6827661924343816887.jpg
The last 2 panels felt they belong to another franchises.

The bottom: a Grand Theft Auto heist without them concealing their IDs.

The bottom right: a Castlevania thing with Dawn being an evil priest probably sacrificing Chloe to resurrect Dracula.

As for the bottom left: It's alright. I mean if a Pachirisu can slay Pseudo-legendaries in a Pokemon tournament, I'm sure Piplup can do this.

LazySpy

Kimty
So, I had a few criticizms about the final battle between Team Rocket and Darkrai, Cresselia, Ash & Co...

Then I watched Hunter J's debut in DP recently, and I realized, imagine how diffirently the plot of this episode would have gone if Team Rocket had her stone cannon put in place of those energy weapons they had installed on their aircraft, or if they just had it there alongside them and thought to use it.

They very well could have succeeded at catching Darkrai and Cresselia. Maybe even Pokemon belonging to our heroes...

Also weird their ship doesn't seem to have invisibility technology J used on her plane.

I wonder how many more instances of this can be found throughout this show's history...

Starswirl Pikachu

As Dawn tries to convince a reluctant Chloe to join in a contest, some of the alternate grunts from Team Rocket show up with their sights set on Cresselia. The group battle was awfully short but we did get to see some of the Sinnoh pokemon involved show off a little bit. Like others have mentioned, I thought it was a relief that Darkrai was not automatically a villain and it wound up helping the gang against Team Rocket. Good development time for Chloe and Eevee trying to figure out thier path.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
This episode was genuinely very good. A much better take on the Cresselia and Darkrai relationship and an overall better episode than the one in DP.

Koharu was great here. Her approaching Cresselia and remembering Sakuragi’s words lended well to her figuring out the dynamic between Cresselia and Darkrai later on, it felt very natural and showed some growth. Seeing more of her and Dawn talking and relating to each other despite their differences was very well-done also. Koharu unwilling to be pigeonholed into becoming like her father contrasted with Dawn following in Johanna’s footsteps was a nice parallel, and so was Eevee being unsure of evolution while Piplup was completely sure it didn’t want to evolve. Dawn’s words felt so genuine; I feel this episode did a great job of showing the extent of her maturity and wisdom in how she carried herself. Her instantly moving to treat Cresselia due to what Brock taught her, and being a supportive figure to Koharu by giving her advice from experience were very nice instances of that. Her line about dreams made me a bit emotional tbh; loved it.

Adore Dawn’s new Contest look! It’s gorgeous omg. The blue gradient, the moon and star ornaments, the braided hair, just how overall classy and elegant it looks. I’m glad Journeys hasn’t been afraid to put the girls in non-pink outfits; first Dawn and then Serena (particularly her) getting to wear different colors has made things more visually interesting. The little appeal she did with Piplup was great to see after a while, moves like Whirlpool and Bubble Beam looked really nice. Koharu trying and failing to copy her was a funny little moment as well.

Ash and Dawn’s reunion was ok. It was expected for the tone of the situation but even still it did feel underwhelming. I thought the pacing was decent but there really was too much going on to make it feel impactful, which raises the question why was this just a two-parter? Also disappointing TR didn’t comment on Dawn. Though I will say the battle against Matori was pretty cool and 100 times more dynamic and fluid than nearly anything in the M8….which is crazy. Cresselia and Darkrai interacting as they did was another highlight. The scene at the beach with everyone was also super cute and wholesome.

But again this had no business being a two-part initial return for Dawn; why make such a big deal about the Eterna Contest if it was just going to get off-screened? Considering how abysmally they get butchered later on this could’ve been one last look at an actual good version of a Contest, if they even still exist. It literally feels like an episode got cut because of how random the jump is from this to the Alola episode. Not even a goodbye? Like what?? Talk about dropping the ball from so high up it hasn’t even reached the ground.

Good episode, baffling structure. 8/10