• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cresselia's Midsummer Night's Light! (1164)

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Honestly I only really cared about Chloe here and she was handled really well to me. I love how her and Eevee are slowly growing and becoming more independent and confident. I especially loved that she took the initiative to protect Cresselia by having Eevee battle. Usually Eevee just goes for it and Chloe gets the hint and participates but now she's becoming more confident battle wise. Also I could totally see her doing contests now, or at the very least trying one. Both her and Eevee seemed excited about them :).

Decidueye23

Sooooo there's a new Dialga/Palkia special announced for the winter
Yep we are definitely seeing Dawn again
Keeping that in mind
My rating for this episode is 8/10
The first part was absolutely fantastic and the second part was hype, but Matori Matrix was underwhelming to say the least and Trio were pretty darn useless
My problems with Dawn not showcasing more of her mons or the lackluster reunion of Ash and Dawn are also there but since I highly believe she's returning soon, I won't factor them in. If I had to I'd give this a 7
7 or 8 ? :p

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Oh hey they actually had koharu and dawn interact in the way I actually wanted to this time around rather than the incredibly superficial way from last week. That alone already makes it way better in comparison.

The ‘action’ was super rushed and pretty whatever though. I mean it’s good that it’s better than the usual action we get for the series, but still pretty straightforward.

Honestly they should’ve just scraped ash and goh’s involvement in this whole arc. That would’ve given time for the actual good dialogue between koharu and dawn for last week instead, and give more time for dawn to show her stuff this week. Frankly ash and goh barely did anything this week again, both in term of fighting and interacting with dawn, and was just there to waste so time. Plus as good as the contest and parent dialogue was, it was kinda jarring that the injured cresselia just kinda got forgotten during all that.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Oh hey they actually had koharu and dawn interact in the way I actually wanted to this time around rather than the incredibly superficial way from last week. That alone already makes it way better in comparison.

The ‘action’ was super rushed and pretty whatever though. I mean it’s good that it’s better than the usual action we get for the series, but still pretty straightforward.

Honestly they should’ve just scraped ash and goh’s involvement in this whole arc. That would’ve given time for the actual good dialogue between koharu and dawn for last week instead, and give more time for dawn to show her stuff this week. Frankly ash and goh barely did anything this week again, both in term of fighting and interacting with dawn, and was just there to waste so time. Plus as good as the contest and parent dialogue was, it was kinda jarring that the injured cresselia just kinda got forgotten during all that.
It's almost as if the 'superficial' interaction was a precursor to the proper interactions we saw between them this episode, like many users had already pointed out with where they were going with Dawn and Chloe. Last episodes interaction helped naturally flow into the meaningful interactions we saw this episode.....

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
It's almost as if the 'superficial' interaction was a precursor to the proper interactions we saw between them this episode, like many users had already pointed out with where they were going with Dawn and Chloe. Last episodes interaction helped naturally flow into the meaningful interactions we saw this episode.....
Oh please. It ‘connected’ in that contest were brought up for a second even though it wasn’t pursued any further.

They could’ve easily made the campfire discussion immediately flow into the stuff from this week when contests were brought up, rather than the pointless daijobu montage and petty argument from last week that has absolutely no impact.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Oh please. It ‘connected’ in that contest were brought up for a second even though it wasn’t pursued any further.

They could’ve easily made the campfire discussion immediately flow into the stuff from this week when contests were brought up, rather than the pointless daijobu montage and petty argument from last week that has absolutely no impact.
I mean it did have the impact in showing the contrast between the two and showing Chloe the importance to take things easy, a bit of conflict to further establish the bond is a trope as old as time, using it to first establish a bond before they go into the meaningful stuff to teach Chloe about contests and help in her development is the way they should have handled instead of Dawn being Chloe's mentor from the get go. So complaining about last week's interactions when it is what established this week's conversation to go organically makes zero sense to me

mystreon

the elder eevee
She didn't have them on hand apparently.
She left them at Eterna City's Pokemon Center or so.
Thats a BS excuse, that be like having may come back but leaving all her "non marketable girly pokemonW" and just shoving skitty down our throats.

we didnt even get to see buneary interact with pikachu

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Thats a BS excuse, that be like having may come back but leaving all her "non marketable girly pokemonW" and just shoving skitty down our throats.

we didnt even get to see buneary interact with pikachu
Whatever you think about it that's the reason she didn't have them on hand.
It's obvious having Piplup as her only Pokemon is to boost and advertise the Piplup merchandise.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Okay that's super stupid if that's true because I NEVER heard of anything like that happening in a series before where one just leaves their entire team at a Pokémon Center for no reason and not have them on hand
She left them there for the contest apparently. And yeah it sure is.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I mean it did have the impact in showing the contrast between the two and showing Chloe the importance to take things easy, a bit of conflict to further establish the bond is a trope as old as time, using it to first establish a bond before they go into the meaningful stuff to teach Chloe about contests and help in her development is the way they should have handled instead of Dawn being Chloe's mentor from the get go. So complaining about last week's interactions when it is what established this week's conversation to go organically makes zero sense to me
Except nothing showed dawn actually taught koharu anything last week. They got sidetracked by dawn and ended up getting attacked, where dawned ended up getting bailed out by koharu. How does koharu get a lesson from that when she gained nothing positive from it? If anything, she got that lesson by herself by finding the lake and realizing she wouldn’t have seen it if she didn’t get chased. Using it as a way to establish a ‘bond’ already felt forced either way when it felt so heavily skewed to ‘dawn kinda messing up’ the whole time and starting off as a stranger that suddenly barges into koharu’s camp and immediately getting along anyways, so imo why waste time on it?

On the other hand their interaction this week was very dawn specific, as in the kind of interaction that koharu would only uniquely get from dawn, last week wasn’t and made it dull. You could’ve replaced dawn with may or even iris last week, and nothing would’ve changed. It was not the kind of interaction i want from a returning character.

What would’ve been better imo:
  • Dawn helping out koharu when she was chased by starlys
  • Dawn introduces herself there and decide to travel together after learning they’re headed the same direction
  • Have dawn getting sidetracked end up with them finding the lake together as the payoff and koharu learning taking a detour is fine from it
  • Campfire where dawn introduces her team, talk about her journey
  • Immediately get into the talk they have this week as the conversation goes on
  • Cresselia cliffhanger
  • This week would then be half (or 3/4) dealing with the cresselia situation and half the contest
Frankly my mind won’t change from thinking last week episode was mostly a waste of time, so just agree to disagree.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I'm gonna wait for subs but the general sour vibe I get here in this thread at least allow me to temper my expectations.

A rushed episode isn't ALWAYS a garunteed bad episode though even though people now think it is when it comes to JN
Honestly the only really disappointing aspect of this episode was Ash and Dawn's reunion and we still got a few cute moments between them. This episode is still pretty enjoyable to watch