• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cresselia's Midsummer Night's Light! (1164)

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Members of team "the next cameo will make up for this episodes short comings" are gonna look really stupid if this ends up not being the case lmao
I'm down for it.
I'm betting it will make up.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
based on what I have seen, it was better that last week’s episode. Loved the callbacks to DP Brock (best Brock. Change my mind) & Togekiss. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, loved the nod to the Galactic Commanders with MM using their aces. Darkrai & Cresselia finally got some decent roles.

I only have 2 issues: Team Rocket in general felt like they were there just to have an antagonist and I felt like the way Dawn was used especially for Chloe could’ve been handled much better. Before anyone says it, no I don’t need Dawn to show her other Pokémon or spend half the episode recapping DP. Just felt they could’ve incorporated her better. Not saying she’s ruined for me though as she at least had a ok dynamic with Chloe lol 7.5/10

@Kuzehiko agreed on the Dawn & Brock thing. I feel like people over exaggerate their dynamic. Glad this episode showed that as they have one of the best in the series

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Darkrai was pretty much cleaning house against Team Rocket and saved Cresselia. Sure it got injured by TR ship but it got recovered thanks to Cresselia, finished the evil team plot by making them sleep and both legendaries went home in the sky.

Not to say that the twerps didn't contribute much in this whole plot. At least Chloe & Dawn temporary healed Cresselia with healing patches which looked like those muscle healing stamps that are sold in my local pharmacy. Nice Dawn's flashback about Brock on how he helped her to deal with injured Pokemons.

Nice interactions between Chloe & Dawn about their pasts, families and their main Pokemons, Chloe told Dawn that Eevee can't evolve while the latter told the former that Piplup doesn't want to evolve. Dawn doing a Contest routine with Piplup while Chloe & Eevee tried to do the same routine but failed due of their inexperience.

It's unfortunate that we couldn't see other Dawn's Pokemons and she really felt like any COTDs. I noticed that almost the twerps main Pokemons got hit by the high ranked Team Rockets Pokemons except Eevee because it wasn't their intended target but Cresselia but decided to intercept the attack anyways.

Overall, it was decent. Sure, there's important lessons that Chloe learned from Dawn but the episode was really rushed and I really looked for entertainment like Dawn being amazed by Eevee doing Bubble Beam which is why I favor the previous episode more. And of course I didn't care about Ash & Dawn reunion.

Last edited:

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I don't even know anymore. Like I was so happy Chloe got to do something marginally important... but Dawn coming back was a waste. No team change and barely any talk with Ash. Not even Matori being present redeemed the episode and I'm actually getting tired of her role as Giovanni's doomed lapdog. We already got Jessie and James for that....

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
Positives:
- Brock.
- Old music.
- A couple of good new Hayashi tracks.
- Koharu was good.
- Goh didn't do anything.

Negatives:
- Clearly needed 3 episodes. Ash barely interacted with Dawn.
- The TRio never acknowledged Dawn (probably the worst thing about the episode). They weren't needed after all, because I doubt there will be any consequences for them or Matori after this failure.
- Where are the rest of Dawn's Pokémon? Only Togekiss and in a flashback? lol
- Where is the Contest? Offscreenland strikes back.
- Brock's clothes are miscolored in BOTH appearances.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
That BGM during the quick recap is awful. Sounds like... Elevator music. Is TPCi making the japanese version score too?

Overall, better than last week but after that rocky first bit, I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted. Honestly, the part when the episode started getting interesting was near the end with the group battling to protect Cresselia and then the pseudo-beach episode bits near the end.

What got in my nerves is that there were no high touch between Ash and Dawn, which just adds to the "nostalgia" they are trying to invoke being so weirdly put together. Feels like more a gimmick to bait people, rather than something really thought out. However, I like that at least they got to catch up for a time even if it's shuffled into everything else going on.

I've seen people bashing Dawn's role on BW but I think it was fine there. With at least ONE episode of it checked more or less everything we needed. High touches, Brock mention, Dawn starts blending with Ash's then-current friends and etc. Really, all of the Chloe development here should've gone to a dedicated episode IMHO. I don't understand them... Almost feels like they regret daring a series without a "main girl" then doing damage control trying to make her into a thing when she clearly isn't built as such.

The possibility of Dawn appearing again makes me hopeful for a more proper reunion, specially if Tomioka gets to do it, but I'm not really holding my breath, honest.

This kind of just adds to the problem I've been feeling with the show as of lately (a bit before this two parter, honestly). The series does some interesting things at times but sometimes it come across as so... Souless? I dunno, while I enjoy the episodes but sometimes I find myself watching and feeling kind of empty even when it does well. And that has nothing to do with age as I get gigantic enjoyment out of the kids shows. As in, I feel more thrilled on an episode of Pazudora (Puzzle & Dragons) and Mazica Party.

All in all, episode was serviceable but this two-parter wasn't as satisfying as I hoped it'd be.

I'm curious as to why this mini-arc wasn't given to Yonemura, he was a big presence back during DP. #JustTomiyasuthings
Tomiyasu only seems to care with Kanto (because nostalgia money) and alola (which gave him his job).

I could forgive no Tomioka, but not having Yonemura was plain stupid.

Honestly, if neither could do it, just get Akemi Omode instead. While, she haven't written Dawn, at least she's a veteran in the show.

The no High Five makes me sad.
It infuriates me. I can't believe it... If Bulbapedia is accurate Michihiro Tsuchiya started working in the show with this show. You give a major character - the original protagonist - a two parter return but not assign the people who've worked with her in the past AND are still around? Or at least, someone minimally more experienced like Omode? Even Aya Matsui would work, almost as a "pseudo-make up" for not doing DP (I think? Don't remember)
I'm sure Tomiyasu didn't watch DP
I'm certain he doesn't care with anything that didn't come from what he originally did himself or that he know will bring the cash (KANTOOOOOO)

Watch next week's TR reunion with their Alola friends be a lot better and more satisfying even if it doesn't last long.

Soniman

Break the Limit
First of all whoever said Daan left her Pokémon in Eterna was lying since no such line of dialogue was spoken so thanks for that. Good thing because that justification was really stupid anyway.

Overall though I thought it was good, not great. Definitely think people are being way to hard on it because it's definitely not a bad episode. Chloe and Dawn continue to have good chemistry with good development for the former, some really good animation, nice call backs, there's actually not much to say about this episode because it's really straight forward conflict resolution. I definitely don't think it's as rushed as you all are making it out to be but I really would've wanted to see more Ash/Dawn, a high touch, see her team etc but I can live with it. 7/10 if I had to score it, I look forward to see more Dawn, more Chloe growth and more Dawn WITH Chloe AND Ash if these are in the cards

if we sit and think for a moment ... look at all that we have. Iris, Gary and Korrina in the opening. Dawn in the episode, Brock in a cameo and the continuity that became a normal thing at this point. On August 13th the Alola championship will probably be mentioned and we will have Bewear and Passimian. Volkner will return next week and we have a winter special confirmed.

I mean, we may not like some things, we may not like Tomiyasu, but we must be thankful that the team is trying to do their best, bring in old seiyuus And give us a bit of fanservice, who are no longer the target audience. All this in a world that is fighting a global pandemic.

They deserve a break this week, I'm happy with what I've seen so far. Thanks Journeys.