• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Criminal Intent: A Villainous Organization One-Shot Contest

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
Extra bit of extension?

Thanks much. I'M CANCELLING ALL MY OTHER non-food related APPOINTMENTS! I'll see if I can get to add that extra scene I was working on.

And awwww yis, more people joining!

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Again, for all you folks still crunching away, absolute final deadline is 23:59 UTC on October 16th, 2015, so use this to keep track of how close that is and keep yourself motivated!

Come on, people! I need more competition to push me to the bottom of the rankings! :p

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
yaaaaas thank you

Dragonfree

Just me
And that's the deadline! We've received entries from [Imaginative]:[Clockwork], American--Pi, ASCIInerd73, Blackjack Gabbiani, Dramatic Melody, Matori, Negrek, solovino and Umbramatic. If I've somehow missed an entry and you submitted but are not on this list, please let me know right away. We'll be keeping you updated on the status of the judging.

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
Sent a second submission, just past the deadline, in case it manages to make it in. What was supposed to be a small extra scene nearly doubled the amount of content for the submission. I guess it happens. :p

Luck to all participants!

AmericanPi

Write on
And that's the deadline! We've received entries from [Imaginative]:[Clockwork], American--Pi, ASCIInerd73, Blackjack Gabbiani, Dramatic Melody, Matori, Negrek, solovino and Umbramatic. If I've somehow missed an entry and you submitted but are not on this list, please let me know right away. We'll be keeping you updated on the status of the judging.

Nine entries - heh, not bad. Guess those deadline extensions really motivated more people to enter. Unfortunately this means that there's definitely a chance that I'll place below seventh, which is how I placed last time. I guess I don't mind placing 8th or 9th too much, because my piece was experimental anyways - if I don't succeed too much with this it just means I need to work more on that particular type of writing.

On another note, when do you think the results will be up? Originally the results were set to be up by December 1st, 2015, but now that there have been extensions I'm wondering if the results will still be up by then.

Creepychu

The horror
Ultimately it'll come down to when the busiest judge can make it, and since we got a very strong last push of entries and updates all around the workload is obviously quite different from two days ago. December 1st is still what we're trying to meet though, and at least for my part I still think it's a reasonable goal. Just don't be too disappointed if we end up needing an extension of our own.

In any case, thanks for the submissions everybody. I'll get to reviewing this weekend so we can get the ball rolling for that December deadline.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Woo! Congrats to everyone who made it! And we've got one more entry than last year, nice!

But hey, Dragonfree? In addition to who made it in, can we get a lowdown on which evil teams got covered - but without revealing who covered them? ;)

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Congrats to everyone who made the deadline! I really wish I could have entered this contest; I was so stoked when I first saw it, but I haven't been very active in my writing lately since I'm at a point in life where any time I have free time I need to devote it to my studies. But good luck to everyone who entered! Now I just have to wait for the results so I can read about the best Pokemon characters ever :D

Unfortunately this means that there's definitely a chance that I'll place below seventh, which is how I placed last time. I guess I don't mind placing 8th or 9th too much, because my piece was experimental anyways - if I don't succeed too much with this it just means I need to work more on that particular type of writing.

I'm gonna say this for everyone to see: Don't worry about how you might end up placing. I understand that this is a contest and being ranked is all part of it, but the contests are ultimately meant to be fun! How you place is just how you place, and rather than comparing yourself to other writers, I see it more as evaluating your strengths and weaknesses. Improving from last time doesn't necessarily mean that you get a higher place, especially with the different members entering and different judges from last time. As for you making this an experiment and trying a new writing style, kudos! Contests can be great for that, since you're guaranteed feedback on it, and breaking out of your shell and making it for someone else to critique takes a lot of courage :)

But seriously, don't worry about how you might place. Just enjoy the competition and find a way to not over-stress and became anxious until the results are out :p

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Alright, Dragonfree informed me she's still on vacation and thus too busy to answer my previous question a couple posts back, so could another judge answer it if possible?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Alright, Dragonfree informed me she's still on vacation and thus too busy to answer my previous question a couple posts back, so could another judge answer it if possible?
Alright. Not going to say who wrote about what, and ignoring maybe minor ties between others (because I've only glanced through some to answer this question), but:
[spoil]Team Rocket: 4
Team Magma: 0
Team Aqua: 0
Team Galactic: 1
Team Plasma: 2
Team Flare: 1
Cipher: 1[/spoil]

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Magma and Aqua were always overlooked in the fic front. Even with their ORAS boost it's really only livened up Hardenshipping fics, and even then not by much. All the fan effort for them seems to be exclusively art.

That said, Plasma fic has usually been rare so I'm surprised to see two entries for them.

Can we get a rundown of the media involved? Show, games?

This being a villain contest, I feel a little trash talk is appropriate, so I look forward to grinding all of you into the dust.

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
Magma and Aqua were always overlooked in the fic front. Even with their ORAS boost it's really only livened up Hardenshipping fics, and even then not by much. All the fan effort for them seems to be exclusively art.

Curiously enough I wrote an entry on Team Aqua and Team Magma as a contest piece for another site, not too long ago. Had I not used that idea for that contest I would have used it for this one. Maybe I can do a two-for-one and while we wait to publish this contest's entries I can also publish the TA/TM story.

This being a villain contest, I feel a little trash talk is appropriate, so I look forward to grinding all of you into the dust.
(totes joining in!)

(Taken to VMs)

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
This being a villain contest, I feel a little trash talk is appropriate

Er. Actually, for the sake of avoiding breaking one or both of these (by way of having things escalate):

The General Rules said:
3. Don't spam
Basically, posts that contribute nothing to the thread or topic. This includes replying to spam posted by others.

8. Don't troll or flame users. Be respectful.
Includes the use of language that's racial, religious, rude, sexually explicit, insulting, threatening, abusive, hateful, ethnic, or just a general intent to annoy others.

I'mma gonna say trash-talking is not appropriate. Sorry!

(Like. You can joke around with other participants via VM if they're aware you're joking and all, but, like, please don't use this thread for that. Thanks!)

Last edited:

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Yeah, I'm not sure how much you were joking, Blackjack (which... kind of makes me afraid of you as a person right now), buy I'm going to have to agree with Jax that genuine, outright malicious trash-talking to each other over our contest entries would be extremely distasteful and out of line, for the reasons of A. What Jax said about it outright breaking the rules, B. Taking. the spirit of this contest and the contests in genral and taking. a huge dump on it, and C. Being unnecessarily petty and mean in genral.

Like, I've been having frequent, recurring, horrible anxiety attacks for over a year and a half over a fic I'm planning for reasons related to that, so if any other contestant genuinely flamed my fic or attacked me for it, not only would it be an enormous, extremely painful and emotionally scarring experience, but no matter who they were I'd feel no hesitation or remorse reporting to the mods and watching with smug catharsis as they got punished for it because I'm petty and vengeful and horrible like that.

...All that being said, I also agree with Jax that purely jokey "trash talk" over IMs and such is totes fine so long as you make it VERY clear you're sincerely just joking.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Aah ok. I thought it would be clear, given the context, that it would be all in jest anyway.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Aah ok. I thought it would be clear, given the context, that it would be all in jest anyway.

Well, like Umbramatic's kinda saying up there, some people have trouble reading tone on the internet, even if they have context to go with it, so it can be hurtful or uncomfortable for some folks who're on the sidelines. That's really one of the things the mods're take into consideration besides the whole "it's off-topic/spammy for this thread and can be taken too far" thing. We just want to make sure everyone's comfortable, especially in a high-tension situation such as a contest, and sometimes, a joke that's even remotely at someone else's expense doesn't sound all that funny to that someone else.

But otherwise, folks, feel free to use this thread to discuss the contest, how you think you did (without trash-talking other folks, anyway), ask questions to the judges, and so on. b)'')b

Last edited:

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
Congrats to all who managed to enter! For those of us who wanted to/tried to enter but didn't, can we say which team we would have wrote about? I would have been the only Team Snagem entry. I'm surprised someone wrote about Cipher to begin with.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Congrats to all who managed to enter! For those of us who wanted to/tried to enter but didn't, can we say which team we would have wrote about? I would have been the only Team Snagem entry. I'm surprised someone wrote about Cipher to begin with.

>Someone wrote about Cipher and made it.

>You were going to write about Snagem but didn't.

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu it would have been perfect! Oh cruel world why?! D:

EDIT: Also:

I've confirmed a few other places I was one of the two people who wrote Plasma; could the other person who did PM me if they're willing? I don't need any details on your story if you don't want to give them, I'm just really curious who. ._.

Last edited: