• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Crisis in Alola! The Darkness that Eats Radiance!! (1030)

Evanibble

Lunala being chased by Necrozma toward the end was the main thing that appealed to me in this episode. The banter involving Sauboh was amusing too however, and it's a shame that Gladio's team hasn't changed as much as I had expected at this point in SM.

We've literally seen a couple of minutes of him so far this arc. There's no reason to expect him to whip out any new team additions right now. If we see anything new, it'll be during an actual battle.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Coincidentally that symbol can be found on Necrozma’s back. Maybe it doesn’t just symbolise Z-Power but it’s also a symbol for Necrozma.

You're talking about the large symbol displayed directly underneath Ultra Necrozma on the wall, the one Poipole drew on the beach in this episode. I was talking about the smaller symbols to either side of that larger one. The bottom half of those symbols is exactly the same as the 'like' symbol Poipole drew a lot in the episode with Mina.

Z-Power, presumably. Like how Solgaleo and Lunala shared their light with it.

Z-Power? In that case the picture would be an impression of Necrozma's journey back to the other side of the Ultra Wormhole. I guess that's possible, but it wouldn't explain why Poipole would use it to display affection.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Z-Power? In that case the picture would be an impression of Necrozma's journey back to the other side of the Ultra Wormhole. I guess that's possible, but it wouldn't explain why Poipole would use it to display affection.

So I re-checked the mural just to make sure I wasn't remembering incorrectly, and I think you're mistaken.

That symbol isn't the same as the one Poipole likes to draw. It's the one we see in a variety of things such as on Z-Rings, when Marshadow uses its Z-Move in the games, and the pattern that Tapu Koko makes when it give you the Tapunium Z in the games. So it's definitely meant to represent Z-Power.

Poipole draws lightning bolts, which looks similar to the "Z" on that symbol, so I guess I understand the confusion.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
You're talking about the large symbol displayed directly underneath Ultra Necrozma on the wall, the one Poipole drew on the beach in this episode. I was talking about the smaller symbols to either side of that larger one. The bottom half of those symbols is exactly the same as the 'like' symbol Poipole drew a lot in the episode with Mina.
The larger one was what I noticed more. Took me a while to notice there were two lightning bolts on the side of Necrozma's symbol. It seems the lightning bolts to me were the people's connections with Necrozma or it could represent the light radiating out of Necrozma to show how important it was in giving the light to the Alolans. As it is known Poipole uses similar symbols to express its happiness, it may have been even more foreshadowing and could have shown how much it would have loved the light radiating out of Necrozma back at its home and therefore how connected it is to Necrozma.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
So I re-checked the mural just to make sure I wasn't remembering incorrectly, and I think you're mistaken.

That symbol isn't the same as the one Poipole likes to draw. It's the one we see in a variety of things such as on Z-Rings, when Marshadow uses its Z-Move in the games, and the pattern that Tapu Koko makes when it give you the Tapunium Z in the games. So it's definitely meant to represent Z-Power.

Poipole draws lightning bolts, which looks similar to the "Z" on that symbol, so I guess I understand the confusion.

*checks both the Poipole drawing episode and this mural again*

You're right, it's not exactly the same. I guess I was wrong. But it doesn't look exactly like the Z-power symbol that shows up when you use a Z-Move either, it doesn't have the extra points outwards to the sides in the middle. Given though, the similarity of the overall symbol on the mural with the Z-power symbol is very striking and very likely intentional. It could be that there is a small difference because perhaps Z-power changed since the old days, perhaps they used to summon it differently in ancient times as opposed to with Z-rings. This mural is really cool, I love visual storytelling, puzzles, and intrigue like this.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It could be that there is a small difference because perhaps Z-power changed since the old days, perhaps they used to summon it differently in ancient times as opposed to with Z-rings. This mural is really cool, I love visual storytelling, puzzles, and intrigue like this.
Yeah maybe that could have happened. I think they used a slightly different symbol to represent Z-Power that changed over time to become the symbol we are now familiar with. Even so it might have even used its own Z-Power to give out light.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
This was a good build up episode, and a good set up for the next episode. The tidbits that the writers have been feeding us are finally starting to come together, piece by piece. Although there was very little action, the episode didn't feel slow at all.

Also, THE EDGELORD HAS RETURNED! And in all his edgy glory, too! I cannot be the only one who noticed that when Ash, Kiawe, Lana, and Gladion were lined up to perform their Z-Moves, Gladion was doing his battle pose from the games.

I liked how the adults not being themselves affected the children. Ash freaked out at the sight of Professor Kukui with his lab coat buttoned; I love how that's all it took for him to realize something was seriously wrong with his foster father (and how all he needed to do to show his classmates that something was wrong was point to Kukui entering the classroom with his lab coat buttoned). Kiawe and Mallow were pissed because their parents didn't get their morning chores done. Sophocles didn't eat because his mother didn't get up in time to fix breakfast. Even Jessie and James were not themselves thank you, writers, for remembering that those two are actually adults. And I love how all the adults went to Oranguru's bar to drown their sorrows in drink. :p

I expected to see a little more of Lunala and Necrozma, though, based on the summaries. Seriously, what kind of cliffhanger ending was that? I'm not complaining, though, because as I said, this episode was a good set up for the next episode.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
My suspicions of this episode being an setup kind of episode turned out to be true as this episodes purpose was mostly to set up for the next episode. But I still really did enjoy it, I was pretty much on the edge of my seat from beginning to end and it truly did not feel slow to me at all.

The Edgelord is BACK in all of his edgelord glory!! Oh Gladion, how I have missed you so much. He is such an awesome character and I’m glad he made his comebak here. I always knew that the seventh member of the Ultra Guardians was going to be him and having him join by having Silvally being frightened over something *cough* Necrozma *cough* is the perfect way of having him join.

I really enjoyed how the adults not being themselves actually did effect the children. Ash noticing right off the bat that something was up with Professor Kukui the second he saw him with his lab coat buttoned up with a T-shirt underneath and Professor Burnet just laid on the ground in front of the fish tank. Sophocles was not able to eat anything for either breakfast or lunch since his mother was not up. Kiawe and Mallow were pissed that they had to do all their parents chores because they all just slept. Lana’s father was actually in the episode but we never actually saw him because he was laying on the floor with a blanket covering him and Harper & Sarah were sitting on his back. Never actually thought I’d see him but I’m glad he was in the episode. Even Jessie and James were not themselves, which I am glad about because they technically are adults, and it was affecting Meowth and Wobbuffet.

I must say, the idea of having Z-moves be effected by Necrozma what phenomenon is currently affecting Alola. I also liked the idea of having the four Z-ring holders use their respective Z-moves to break through the fog and clear the sky.

And of course, here comes Lunala out of the ultra wormhole and all of the characters got emotional over seeing it but, unfortunately for them, that happiness is short-lived because here Necrozma after Lunala before the episodes ends. Not gonna lie, I was hoping to see a little bit more of Necrozma, Lunala, and Solgaleo but I will still take what we got.

What a way to end the episode off but I have to say, it was a great way to do so because it sets up for the next episode. Needless to say, this was a great episode. 9/10.

DatsRight

Not much I can say about the episode that hasn't already been said. Most a setup episode for the big arc, fun but not a lot happening in particular.

With that said, as per usual with SM, I like the larger amount of funny interactions and bits of character than usual in such arc intros. Ash's characterization in particular was on pretty top form this episode, his snarky reactions to the adults' conditions (especially when Kukui enters the school) and his eagerness to do all the hammy procedures for the Ultra Guardian roll out, while still being able to turn serious when the action started. The others sharing their food with Sophocles and his hungry Pokemon was also pretty cute, and also Gladion's not so impressed reaction to Ash talking about his 'cute' Ultra Beast, as well as the students trying to do lectures in Kukui's place.

Professor Kukui:
Children, I know this is highly irregular, but for the rest of the day, Lillie will be teaching this class.
Lillie: I will? But I wouldn't know where to begin.
Professor Kukui: Just do it, brainiac!

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Ahhhh so much events are happening in this episode.. it's nice to see Gladion and Silvally again. This is a way better introduction than the Aether Foundation episode. I was entertained and informed throughout the entire episode.

Poipole's definitely gonna get some battling in this arc!

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
To be honest, my biggest question from this episode is how the laziness affects Nanu. If it causes all the other adults to act like him, then what would it do to Nanu? Not like it can make him much lazier than he already is...

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
To be honest, my biggest question from this episode is how the laziness affects Nanu. If it causes all the other adults to act like him, then what would it do to Nanu? Not like it can make him much lazier than he already is...
I don't think Necrozma's Ultra Aura-sucking is causing laziness so much as it's just zapping the energy and motivation out of people. That's a little different. Nanu may be lazy, but he can still be motivated to do things—mostly by Acerola egging him on. I suppose Necrozma would just make it that much harder for poor Acerola to do her job. :p

lolipiece

Staff member
The most logical solution is for it to have the exact opposite effect.

Have Nanu become this super peppy and friendly guy who actually does his job.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Well I decided to binge watch episodes 87, 88 and 89 in preparation for next week's climax episode. Truthfully, I haven't watched a SM episode since episode 78 as I had simply lost interest in the series, but I wanted to see how the legendary arc would be.

Well there's not much I can say here which others here have already said. This was a build up episode, and a decent one, even if nothing great. The first half did its job of showing how the depleting ultra aura levels were affecting the adults, even if it felt boring. It just feels so contrived that only adults are affected and not Pokémon and kids.

Overall, I give it a 7/10. Decent build up episode for the arc, even if it did feel kind of dull at the beginning. The OST for this episode was pretty good though.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I love that Ash notices Professor Kukui is cold because he's wearing a shirt. :D

The music during the title card was different, but I don't remember whether it was the same different music from the AF Arc or a third one

Principal Oak's Kanto Vulpix. We haven't seen it in a long time. I was beginning to wonder whether they had forgotten all about the and whether that egg mission was all for naught.

LOL that Sophocles says “I’m done for” just because he doesn’t have lunch

Nurse Joy looks really hot sleeping outdoors with her heart sunglasses ❤️

Lusamine’s hair is a total mess lmao

It’s epic that Team Rocket is invading Alola. Finally something relevant is happening with them for the first time since Gen V. They were hyped up during Flare only for nothing to happen

The only thing that could make this arc any better is Team Skull.

The diagram Lillie was drawing on the board was Ice Stone + Vulpix = Ninetales

Number 7 is Gladion. That's epic

My friend texted me during this episode that she wouldn't trust Faba with machines ever again. Haha. So true

I'm glad Lana got to be semi-relevant.

It's odd that their Z moves were so much stronger than on the beach with no explanation though

And at the end..... ULTRA NECROZMA! What an episode. The best episode since the Pikachu vs. Mimikyu at the abandoned mini-mart.
SO much was happening here

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
About time Kukui put on a shirt. Kiawe's turn now.

You know, that narration at the beginning approaches the self-aware style of narration I wish would make it into a Pikachu short.

Principal Oak's Vulpix only took forever to appear again.

Jessie and James are supposed to be 17, so how is it the negativity whatever is affecting them? They're not adults yet (though to be fair, they're just one year off from that point, but still, the negativity shouldn't be getting to them until they're adults).

At long last, Giovanni's secretary has a name I can call her in English. Matori is her dub name, meaning TPCi kept it. Strange as this'll sound coming from me, that's not a problem.

Oh dear, that one title card theme that bastardizes the Nearby Ultra Beast theme is back. No, I haven't missed it one bit and can't wait for it to go away. But after that, the music is above average. The string of average episode scores is over.

Good to be back to serious stuff that gave this season its name.

lolipiece

Staff member
Jessie and James are supposed to be 17, so how is it the negativity whatever is affecting them? They're not adults yet (though to be fair, they're just one year off from that point, but still, the negativity shouldn't be getting to them until they're adults).

Jessie and James are adults. Where'd you get that nonsense?

Lightning Bolt

Actually, Jessie and James are supposed to be 25, as of M02, though not stated in dub. So, yes they are adults.