• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Crisis in Alola! The Darkness that Eats Radiance!! (1030)

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Actually, Jessie and James are supposed to be 25, as of M02, though not stated in dub. So, yes they are adults.
Movie 2 does not state their ages anywhere. The closest thing it ever comes to referencing their ages is Kojiro saying that they're "five years too late" to be talking about romance after Musashi claims that Satoshi & Co. are "ten years too soon". Which, yeah, if you take that 100% literally and assume that they are both claiming that literally the only time when talking romance is appropriate is when you're exactly 20 years old, they're 25. But that's... hardly a definite confirmation one way or the other.

Lightning Bolt

Movie 2 does not state their ages anywhere. The closest thing it ever comes to referencing their ages is Kojiro saying that they're "five years too late" to be talking about romance after Musashi claims that Satoshi & Co. are "ten years too soon". Which, yeah, if you take that 100% literally and assume that they are both claiming that literally the only time when talking romance is appropriate is when you're exactly 20 years old, they're 25. But that's... hardly a definite confirmation one way or the other.
I'm pretty sure they both said they were 25 at some point because that is the age they have listed on the Bulbapedia. I also know Jessie said she was 17 in The Ultimate Test episode (tho she could've been lying).
There's age inconsistency in the Pokemon anime. On one hand, they want the characters to be relevant to the target audience, so Ash will always stay around 10-13. The rest of the Pokemon world has aged, in a short before one of the full-length movies they were celebrating the one year anniversary of Ash and Pikachu's first meeting, yet Ash is still considered around 10 all these years later. At the same time, technology has progressed, characters have mentioned multiple times that "it's been awhile" when remeeting Ash&co after a couple dozen episodes (or they've at least implied that it's been awhile.)

So, anyway, my guess is that in the beginning of the series they were supposed to be around 17 to make them more relevant to the audience, even mentioning that Jessie was 17 once. But after awhile they probably decided to age them or add enough character background and development to imply that they are much older than 17, at least 25.

Referring to Ash&Co as "twerps" and "brats" and "kids" when Cilan/Brock are at least 15 also seems to hint that they are significantly older.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I'm pretty sure they both said they were 25 at some point because that is the age they have listed on the Bulbapedia.
Bulbapedia claims this was said in Movie 2. I have seen Movie 2 in Japanese. A lot. It never gives an age for them.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Jessie and James are adults. Where'd you get that nonsense?
From "The Ultimate Test."
True, Jessie might have made up the part about being 17 years old (as she was in disguise when signing up at the institute), but it's all we have to go on. Also, the first Pokedex book (the one published by Scholastic) gives 17 as hers and James' ages.

Actually, Jessie and James are supposed to be 25, as of M02, though not stated in dub. So, yes they are adults.

BTW, I've seen people bring up that throwaway line from M02JP. Sorry, but I disregard any info or lore that doesn't make it into the dub, just as I do statements that include "not stated in the dub" or "in the Japanese version". Nothing personal to you, but I stop listening as soon as I hear those words or anything along the lines. Besides, JP-exclusive stuff never had anything important in it anyway, not even the stuff I could be bothered to watch (like the recent Eevee shorts).

Honestly, they look way more like 25 years old ppl than 15.
Japanese cartoons hardly ever make their characters look (or act) their age.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Matori don’t know her English name, sorry and Gozu

Matori as well, confirmed in the next episode, making it the longest gap between a character's introduction and her name confirmation in the history of the dub.

This is a way better introduction than the Aether Foundation episode.

probably because it's a shorter arc

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
That was supposedly stated in m02, but that makes no sense as it means Jessie would be 15 in the flashback in Holiday Hi-Jynx.
Again: Movie 2 never stated their ages. It had a comment from Kojiro claiming they're "five years too late" to be squabbling about romance. That is all. Anything beyond that is just mistranslations from bad fansubs.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
This was a very promising start. I may have my issues with Sun and Moon, but it sure does its multi-episode arcs well.

While nothing too extreme happened in this episode, it had enough interesting set-up going that I truly was excited to see where things where going. This is the first time I've felt like this watching Pokémon since the finale of the Zygarde arc in Kalos. Team Rocket showing up is promising, as is the Necrozma presence in general. Speaking of Necrozma, this has to be the biggest liberty the anime has ever taken when it comes to the lore of a Legendary Pokémon. Typically they stay somewhat close to the original lore, but here they just created an entirely original story and turned Necrozma into a creator god of light. The lore felt a little forced, but that could just be because it's not what I was expecting.

Anyways, can't wait to see how this goes.

Vipsoccermaster

Good set-up episode. Poor adults, exhausted to do anything. Good to see Samson Oak's Vulpix.

Lusamine, Wicke, Burnet, and Faba are all exhausted to work, but they had to do it because something weird is going on. Lusamine's hair...wow. Kukui in a shirt...he never wears a shirt. Lana's father was nice to see finally, but not clearly.

Slow and good start to the episode. Kids, if something's wrong with your parents, try to do the best to your ability to set things right so your parents can act normal again!

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Team Rocket is still around folks, the reason why we never notice them is because they have cloaking technology. Actually on second thought, I think it would be way too over powered if they had true mastery over the stealth abilities. For the sake of public safety, we should assume that Team Rockets cloak can only be used for a short time and must be really limited in one way or another.