• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Critical hits

Prinplup

Super, super =D
Some of you went off topic at the end of Page 1.

Anyways, staying on topic, critical hits are caused by luck. Certain moves have a high critical hit rate, but when paired with Scope Lens, it's nearly always a critical hit. So there you go. It's LUCK.

Final

I Submit to No One
I have recently had some competitive battles that I didn't enjoy because of one thing. The other guy's pokemon hit me with a critical hit at just the right moment. What would have normally been a 4-0 victory turned into an 0-4 loss. I have noticed that critical hits happen at the worst possible times for me. I can understand that it's more realistic to have critical hits because of something happening like hitting a vital organ, but in a pokemon game, realism is not exactly the first thing that comes to my mind. Are there any critical hits in chess? Are there any critical hits in stratego? I believe that critical hits should be taken out of the game, because it makes battling unfair. The better battler should always win, not the one that gets lucky and gets a critical hit at the perfect moment. Pokemon battles are about strategy, not luck. Opinions?

I completely agree with the bolded statements.

I hate Critical Hits and Hax in general. Especially when it costs you a game that you would've otherwise won. I'm looking at you Gyarados. You and your critical hit Stone Edges and Earthquakes that my Pokemon would otherwise survive and land status on it and flinching Waterfalls that flinch my Pokemon to death before I hit it with status and make me lose. My team isn't even Gyarados weak and yet it still somehow manages to annoy me. Stupid luck.

Hibachi

Grass Pokemon Expert
I feel as if critical hits are just part of the game and I have become accustomed towards them. I have had moments in which critical hits have been used against me and I thought it unfair, but how fun in all honesty would battling be if the better battler won every time. Critical hits and luck in general is there in my opinion to make battles more exciting.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School

I hate Critical Hits and Hax in general. Especially when it costs you a game that you would've otherwise won.

What?

Seriously, where would be the fun in that?

How would having a battle system completely based on what they give you upfront be fun at all?

Wouldn't the loss in luck based moves, variable moves, flinches and critical hits basically cut out around a fourth of the moves in this game?

Hell, there are entire abilities based around Critical Hits and Flinching; if you hate them so much, get pokemon with those.

Roseliamelia

*petal dances*
I have recently had some competitive battles that I didn't enjoy because of one thing. The other guy's pokemon hit me with a critical hit at just the right moment. What would have normally been a 4-0 victory turned into an 0-4 loss. I have noticed that critical hits happen at the worst possible times for me. I can understand that it's more realistic to have critical hits because of something happening like hitting a vital organ, but in a pokemon game, realism is not exactly the first thing that comes to my mind. Are there any critical hits in chess? Are there any critical hits in stratego? I believe that critical hits should be taken out of the game, because it makes battling unfair. The better battler should always win, not the one that gets lucky and gets a critical hit at the perfect moment. Pokemon battles are about strategy, not luck. Opinions?

i think smogon actually tried the "no hax clause" or something like that in their ladder matches. well, there were hacks, but the "real" winner was determined at the very end of the match after the program factored out all the hax, or criticals. so even if you had a pokemon or two left, you could have been the loser if there were major critical hits involved.
they quickly got rid of this.

for me, criticals should not be gotten rid of. it's been there since the very first pokemon games. and overall, even though it's a little unfair, it's just a "part of the game.'' just like life.
it's like the last, buzzer beating, lucky, circus shot in basketball from the lesser team. we can't take that win away just because of luck! same with pokemon.
the best thing is to work around the critical hit (unless it's at the very end where all hope is gone). that's why we design such elaborate teams, right?

and yeah, you could put critical hits into strategies. things like super luck, razor claw, and scope lens heighten the chances of a critical hit. and i think stone edge is is the most popular move that has a higher chance of critical hits. i think absol is a decent user of the super luck + scope lens with stone edge and night slash. too bad he's too frail =(
and we can't really argue about criticals. whenever you use, let's say, stone edge, you just hope for a critical hit! haha

Last edited:

Aviano

I dropped my balls

I hate Critical Hits and Hax in general. Especially when it costs you a game that you would've otherwise won. I'm looking at you Gyarados. You and your critical hit Stone Edges and Earthquakes that my Pokemon would otherwise survive and land status on it and flinching Waterfalls that flinch my Pokemon to death before I hit it with status and make me lose. My team isn't even Gyarados weak and yet it still somehow manages to annoy me. Stupid luck.

I don't think you realise how incredibly boring the game would become. Even if you disregard the fact that almost all moves have added effects, in an competitive enviroment, you'd turn into that guy from the anime, not wanting to battle anymore because you know exactly how each battle is gonna go anyway.

Critical hits work because it gives sore losers a reason to blame the game and not themsleves for losing.

Final

I Submit to No One
I don't think you realise how incredibly boring the game would become. Even if you disregard the fact that almost all moves have added effects, in an competitive enviroment, you'd turn into that guy from the anime, not wanting to battle anymore because you know exactly how each battle is gonna go anyway.

Critical hits work because it gives sore losers a reason to blame the game and not themsleves for losing.

LOL @ the bolded.

Anyway. Removing the critical hit mechanic would remove a large amount of luck from the game and add skill. Competitively, skill should determine who wins and who loses. Not who gets the first gamebreaking crit or whatnot. I have had the advantage over many players only for it to be ruined by a costly critical hit that no sort of EV Training can really fix.

Last edited:

Roseliamelia

*petal dances*
LOL @ the bolded.

Anyway. Removing the critical hit mechanic would remove a large amount of luck from the game and add skill. Competitively, skill should determine who wins and who loses. Not who gets the first gamebreaking crit or whatnot. I have had the advantage over many players only for it to be ruined by a costly critical hit that no sort of EV Training can really fix.

it would remove a large amount of luck?

the last time i checked, a regular attack has only 6.25% chance of landing a critical hit. other moves like stone edge, night slash, and cross chop (the only moves with a +critical ratio that are actually used regularly) have only a 12.5% chance. do you really find that "large?"
and no one really uses scope lens or razor claw, or the ability, "super luck," with regularity.

at the mood and rate of how this thread is going, i think it would be better for you people to ban swords dance lucario. +2 lucario is MUCH stronger than a critical hit.

Final

I Submit to No One
it would remove a large amount of luck?

the last time i checked, a regular attack has only 6.25% chance of landing a critical hit. other moves like stone edge, night slash, and cross chop (the only moves with a +critical ratio that are actually used regularly) have only a 12.5% chance. do you really find that "large?"
and no one really uses scope lens or razor claw, or the ability, "super luck," with regularity.

at the mood and rate of how this thread is going, i think it would be better for you people to ban swords dance lucario. +2 lucario is MUCH stronger than a critical hit.

Scope Lens and Razor Claw are banned in Standard play under the Hax Item clause. In the case of Swords Dance Lucario, it isn't the same as luck. You Swords Dance with it and sweep with sheer force. It isn't luck. Something that can't take its hits has no chance of survival. Something that can take its hits can survive barring a critical hit. Lucario isn't banned because it is perfectly counterable in standard.

Last edited:

Roseliamelia

*petal dances*
Scope Lens and Razor Claw are banned in Standard play under the Hax Item clause. In the case of Swords Dance Lucario, it isn't the same as luck. You Swords Dance with it and sweep with sheer force. It isn't luck. Something that can't take its hits has no chance of survival. Something that can take its hits can survive barring a critical hit. Lucario isn't banned because it is perfectly counterable in standard.

well, on smogon, they are not banned. that's where i mostly play.

and the lucario thing was more of a joke. i was just countering illogical statements with even more illogical statements. i felt that it was kind of necessary.. lol.

txdaan

Who reads this is...
I like critical hits because they make everything a bit less predictable (which is good) and keep one from just "planning" an entire battle.

Also, in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (I'm sure of 1, not quite sure about 2) critical hits really are great, especially when you use a Pokémon like Blaziken with a critical boosting move(Focus Energy) and a multiple hit attack(Double Kick). Focus Energy really boosts the critical hit rate in PMD, and if you add something like Scope Lense to the mix(although most people use the Tight Belt) you will be defeating most enemies in no time.

Hibachi

Grass Pokemon Expert
Critical hits are just a part of the game, and I am pretty sure Game Freak agrees otherwise they wouldn't make items that effect your critical hit chance. Critical hits are sometimes annoying, but it makes battling that much better. If there was no chance of luck or anything, then battling would get old really fast...or atleast it would for me.

Aviano

I dropped my balls
Scope Lens and Razor Claw are banned in Standard play under the Hax Item clause.

Fail. Hax item clause is for overly paranoid players and is in no way "Standard play " I mean Vileplume is banned under the Vileplume clause.

Skill means handling a critical hit like a boss and work around the bad luck. Of course, sometimes this is just impossible. But if your team's only counter to god-knows-what gets killed because of a crit it's probally to blame on your team rather than the one crit.

Final

I Submit to No One
Fail. Hax item clause is for overly paranoid players and is in no way "Standard play " I mean Vileplume is banned under the Vileplume clause.

Skill means handling a critical hit like a boss and work around the bad luck. Of course, sometimes this is just impossible. But if your team's only counter to god-knows-what gets killed because of a crit it's probally to blame on your team rather than the one crit.

LOLVileplume Clause.

The Hax Item Clause is as standard as the Evasion and OHKO clauses. Your definition of standard would vary depending on what metagame you play in. The LOLVileplume Clause is as stupid as the SkarmBliss or SkarmBlissCress Clauses. The Hax Item Clause is widely accepted to remove as much luck from battling as possible. As are the Evasion and OHKO clauses. Stupid clauses banning specific Pokemon that are otherwise acceptable in Standard are for people who are too stupid to lack something to handle them. I don't play with stupid clauses like the SkarmBliss or SkarmBlissCress Clauses because I am not stupid enough to not have something to handle them. If I don't want to play against them, I just play UU.

Aviano

I dropped my balls
LOLVileplume Clause.

The Hax Item Clause is as standard as the Evasion and OHKO clauses. Your definition of standard would vary depending on what metagame you play in. The LOLVileplume Clause is as stupid as the SkarmBliss or SkarmBlissCress Clauses. The Hax Item Clause is widely accepted to remove as much luck from battling as possible. As are the Evasion and OHKO clauses. Stupid clauses banning specific Pokemon that are otherwise acceptable in Standard are for people who are too stupid to lack something to handle them. I don't play with stupid clauses like the SkarmBliss or SkarmBlissCress Clauses because I am not stupid enough to not have something to handle them. If I don't want to play against them, I just play UU.

Your definition of "standard" is the weaksauce version.

ShinyPichu4Ever

Eye of the Storm
As annoying as critical hits are I think they are necessary for adding a bit more chance to the games. It balances out because usually both people battling have equal chance of getting one. When you get a critical hit on a move that otherwise wouldn't have KOed the pokemon doesn't it feel good? The opposite is true for when the other trainer gets the critical hit. Don't complain just because they got a critical hit, chances are you'll get one too.

When I went to the World Championships everybody had Crits in almost every game, some were even immediate game breakers, such as in the finals, round 2 when the guy who won first (forgot his name) Toxicroak got a crit hit on it by his opponent Mano's Shadow Sneaking Shedinja, leaving him with no pokemon that could hit his shedinja. T_T That was kind of unfair...

However, it's just a part of the game and you have to have a good enough team that can take a crit hit or even 2 and still make it.

Just the other day on PBR random wifi, some dude Self Destructed his Mewtwo on me wiping out both my leads (doubles). I still managed to beat the mofo. :p Self Destruct isn't a critical hit, but it's pretty much just as bad, wiping out 1/2 my team.

I got a youtube video of that exact match if you want to relive it lol. empoleon went traiter. SUICIDE

GreenDay4ever

bye!, i had a blast
if they were removed, skorupi wouldnt have an ability (his ablility,s are battle armor and sniper)

also, i use an absol with razor fang and superluck using only high critical hit ratio moves in my UU team and it can work wonders